Closed Thread
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree1047Likes

Thread: Emily Maynard - Season 8 Bachelorette

Re: Emily Maynard - Season 8 Bachelorette

Ohhhhh .... I didn't realize that she was never married, etc. I never watched the season with Brad, mainly because I thought he was such a tool I couldn't stand watching him.

I always find myself wondering how much time goes into the hair, makeup, nails, etc. for these reality stars, as well as how much instruction they're given as far as how to act, what to say, what impressions they are trying to give, etc. I can only compare their lifestyles to my own realities, and I know that it would be pretty difficult to be a full-time stay-at-home mom during the day, then transform myself into a beauty queen at night without a LOT of help. When I had young children, I usually walked around looking like I had just been in a food fight and had gone without sleep for a week -- LOL!

Anyway, more power to her, I suppose. Some unemployed unwed mothers end up in ridiculously dire straits while she managed to not only land on her feet, but is now living a lifestyle most of us could only dream of. (Does anyone know what college she attended?)

FORT Fogey

Emily IS unemployed and unwed, but I read that the Hendricks were neighbors of hers while she was growing up... and the Hendricks are very wealthy. Emily landed on her feet and is living a lifestyle most of us could only dream of, because she got pregnant by a rich man. Emily got pregnant when she was a teenager, and she's being provided for, so I don't think she went to college. Also, I once saw a picture of Ali with her wardrobe person and a rack of dresses. So, Emily is likely just borrowing the dresses and shoes.

FORT Fogey

She didn't go to college. That's why I keep saying I find it incredible that she feels absolutely no need, no ambition, or desire to get an education or even some vocational training to GET A JOB! I couldn't have a shred of self-esteem if I sat around my whole life living off the wealth of my baby daddy 's parents (not that I have a baby daddy LOL). As far as her "managing to land on her feet," that sort of sounds like a compliment, but if her baby daddy's parents hadn't been wealthy (and I don't know about her own parents), she'd be just another welfare statistic, or a waitress at the local diner. The fact that she lives like she's rich has nothing to do with her own accomplishments.
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 05-22-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Alexxxx likes this.

I am not going to pretend to know anything about her other than what I see on TV but I tried to book a room at Greenbrier just to get an idea of what it costs and we are looking at big bucks. I think her family is probably pretty well off as well.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

These guys are falling all over themselves to win the prize (Emily), but they may not really have thought this whole thing out. I'm wondering if her child's grandparents would be inclined to start putting their support into a trust exclusively for the child if/when Emily was to ever marry someone. Emily might be a pretty face with a very practiced Southern belle charm and enunciation, but not much beyond that. I think I'd tell my son to run like Hell if he was one of the men that show!
    bachelorwatcher and AlwaysVeg like this.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

If Emily raises a polite, well-behaved child who treats others with respect then I think she's accomplished a heck of a lot, especially in this day and age. I don't care that she didn't go to college, not everyone does. I went to college and now stay home with my kids. My legacy will be what I teach them and not the piece of paper and degree I got or the job I once held. This life isn't for everyone and some can't afford to do it but I don't think it's fair to knock those who can or choose to...
    mimi, J.D., Bjaminsmom and 11 others like this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    If Emily raises a polite, well-behaved child who treats others with respect then I think she's accomplished a heck of a lot, especially in this day and age. I don't care that she didn't go to college, not everyone does. I went to college and now stay home with my kids. My legacy will be what I teach them and not the piece of paper and degree I got or the job I once held. This life isn't for everyone and some can't afford to do it but I don't think it's fair to knock those who can or choose to...
    It's not all about her going to college. It's about her feeling entitled to being supported by other people for the rest of her life! She could go to vocational school. She could get a job. But no, she's prefectly content to live a life of luxury on other people's money just because she popped out a kid and she's pretty?
    mimi likes this.

I say if she can live the lifestyle she's living, then why shouldn't she? If the grandparents want to provide for their grandchild and her mother and can afford it, then why shouldn't they? I was a single mom for several years (with two boys) and it wasn't easy but I did it. If family had stepped in and offered to help, I wouldn't have said no. And as for college...not going doesn't make you less of a person.

Perhaps Ricki's father had a life insurance policy (I'm sure he did) and when he passed, his parents gave Emily the money to raise her daughter. Frankly, I have no issue with it as long as she isn't milking the system and getting welfare instead of working. Which she isn't.
    Monte71, french dip, ilja and 3 others like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

I feel like a broken record. I did NOT say not going to college makes anyone less of a person. I mentioned college in the context of Emily showing just ONE shred of ambition or determination to make her own way in this world, rather than sitting on her ass collecting support checks from parents and grandparents. If I were a young single mother, I'd accept SOME help from parents and my child's grandparents if they were willing and able, but I'd be damned if my whole life would be about taking money from them as if I were a child myself getting an allowance. Ricki is in school now. Emily could at least get a part-time job during those hours. I have a friend with 3 kids. She couldn't go to college, but she went to cosmetology school and works as a hair stylist starting after her kids go to school in the morning and up to the time they come home. A neighbor of mine has a daughter and did not go to college, but she works as a breakfast and lunch hostess at a resturant, and she is home for her daughter every day after school. It's NOT about college. It's about being a self-respecting grownup who can at least contribute something financially to the support of herself and her daughter. What is she going to do in the future? Wait until the Hendricks die so she can inherit the millions they'll probably leave their grandchild? Marry a rich man? Or whichever comes first, or both? I can't imagine not wanting to contribute anything to your own support in this world.

My only issue with Emily is the way she is being portrayed by the show as an unfortunate, overworked single mother who needs to be rescued -- saved from her lonely existence by a knight in shining armor. She's fortunate to have been born with good looks to a well-off family (I think?) and then to have a child born to a man's family who has the financial means to help her raise her child in such luxury. Compared to most single moms, she has it pretty good -- and I have no problem with that whatsoever. I just find it a little amusing that she's letting these guys know how mundane and down to earth her real life is, when compared to most single moms trying to raise a child alone on a shoestring budget, Emily's life and home looks downright palatial in comparison.

Closed Thread