Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree1042Likes

Thread: Emily Maynard - Season 8 Bachelorette

Re: Emily Maynard - Season 8 Bachelorette

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I can't imagine Emily coming out unscathed. She may but Fleiss seems to have that cruel streak running down his spine and somewhere along the line I have to think he will cast a shadow.
    He cares about one thing, and one thing only - ratings.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    He cares about one thing, and one thing only - ratings.
    Well yeah...Fleiss is a business man/producer. His "job" is to create successful programs. In TV land, that means high ratings. Fleiss is NOT a professional matchmaker. In fact, I have read where Fleiss says he really doesn't care if a love match happens or not. All he is doing is producing a show folks will watch. So far, he's been pretty successful.

Fleiss seems to think Emily is ratings gold. I read someplace that she's being paid $250,000 (that is NOT verified), but $250,000 is a nice hunk of change for a few months work.

My philosophy toward this show is simply to sit back and enjoy. I don't care if things are exagurated, or even untrue. I enjoy the show just as much when I dispise the lead (Jake) as when I like the lead (Emily). I always keep in mind that the show is heavily edited and, at times, scripted. In other words, folks, this is a TV show. Nothing more, nothing less and should not be taken any more seriously than an episode of your favorite soap opera.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Hope for the best but expect the worst, that's my philosophy with this show. Some have stumbled into love as a result of their experience on the show, which is nice to see, but I don't end every season expecting to see a wedding or even a commitment to stay together after the final rose. Sad to say, but the odds are just too unlikely. I do enjoy it as a television show, however, and I do kind of like Emily this time around so hopefully she'll give us a good show and hopefully Fleiss won't throw her to the wolves for drama.
    Arielflies and ilja like this.

FORT Fogey

It's not like watching a soap opera to me because actual people's actual emotions are involved. You can see that all the way through and at the end when F2 is sent home and F1 is ecstatic. They may be fools, but they're not actors. In a sense, Fleiss is already throwing Emily under the bus. Most men in Emily's age range expect their wives to work and help carry the load. Fleiss knows that Emily has barely worked a day in her life and has no plans to do so. She's accustomed to having everything handed to her. Her parents and Ricki's grandparents have a reason for doing this for her and Ricki, but what reason does some guy who is a contestant on this show have? How long is the pleasure of gazing at a beautiful woman going to last when the real world sets in, and Emily plans to stay home all day baking cookies while her guy works his tail off? Her best bet is to find a man in her elite wealthy circle, perhaps someone older who is looking for a trophy wife and will support her in the style to which she is accustomed for the privilege of having her on his arm in public.
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Well yeah...Fleiss is a business man/producer. His "job" is to create successful programs. In TV land, that means high ratings. Fleiss is NOT a professional matchmaker. In fact, I have read where Fleiss says he really doesn't care if a love match happens or not. All he is doing is producing a show folks will watch. So far, he's been pretty successful.

Fleiss seems to think Emily is ratings gold. I read someplace that she's being paid $250,000 (that is NOT verified), but $250,000 is a nice hunk of change for a few months work.

My philosophy toward this show is simply to sit back and enjoy. I don't care if things are exagurated, or even untrue. I enjoy the show just as much when I dispise the lead (Jake) as when I like the lead (Emily). I always keep in mind that the show is heavily edited and, at times, scripted. In other words, folks, this is a TV show. Nothing more, nothing less and should not be taken any more seriously than an episode of your favorite soap opera.
    I just dont see her as being rating gold. I have said, I don't care if she is the show for love or money.Or. maybe like many of them, to start a career of some kind. But during Ashley's season, didn't we all know she was going to be next, when some of the guys had wished for Emily? hmm not sure where they all went.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I just dont see her as being rating gold. I have said, I don't care if she is the show for love or money.Or. maybe like many of them, to start a career of some kind. But during Ashley's season, didn't we all know she was going to be next, when some of the guys had wished for Emily? hmm not sure where they all went.
    No, Emily isn't ratings gold, although they thought she would be. Just because she's popular with the bachelors doesn't necessarilty mean tha she will be popular with viewers. Ashley's first episode had a ratings share of 2.8. Emily's first episode had a ratings share of 2.6/7. Ashley's second episode had a ratings share of 2.2, while Emily's second episode had a ratings share of 2.4. Also, Emily has said that guys she meets can't deal with the fact that she has a child. Maybe she's talking about wealthy guys. Maybe the guys from her wealthy world would be interested in her if she showed more interest in them. Maybe instead of showing a genuine interest in any guy, she instead expects them to be as interested and devoted to her daughter as she is. Maybe that's why the guys she meets can't "deal with" the fact that she has a child.

FORT Fogey

Her belief that men can't deal with her because she has a child is hooey. Women with children find boyfriends and get married all the time. I agree with you, bachelorwatcher, and I would add that because Emily is so accustomed to being given everything without earning it that she has a really self-defeating, unrealistic and immature concept in her head that any man should immediately bond with her child and be willing to give her everything, because that's what Emily is used to getting from the other people in her life. She expects too much because she's used to being handed too much.
    Cornholio likes this.

If I became a single mother, I would not marry a man if he weren't totally devoted to my child as well as to myself. He is marrying a family, not just a woman, when a child is involved. To do it any other way will either lead to divorce, or the child feeling like crap and worthless or resentful. The rest about what she expects etc, that is all just assumptions. When a man falls in love with a woman he normally WANTS to give the woman any and everything. I still don't see a problem here.
    Last edited by mesachick; 05-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Living, ilja, Photobabe and 1 others like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

With this show, I've learned to take a lot of the declarations that are made with a huge grain of salt. Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age, but when Jason went on and on about how hard it was to be a single dad and find someone, or when Brad lamented not being able to find love, and yes, when Emily talks about how she can't get a date and stays home lonely wandering the house after little Ricky goes to bed...well, I just take that as plot points, frankly. Jason was a good looking, stable job, single guy ... I'm quite sure there were hundreds of women within his circle and his circle's circle who would have liked to date him. Ditto with Brad, especially as he doesn't seem to be looking for long-term no matter what he might say, and there are a lot of young girls who go to his bars who I don't think would turn him down. Same with Emily. I don't see her having trouble finding and meeting eligible bachelors who would happily take on a ready-made family.

So if we take those comments out of the mix when it comes to the show, what do we have left? Usually these people are there because it's exciting to be on television, doubly so if you are the lead of the show and the one everyone is chasing. You are pampered, flattered, everything revolves around you. Lately you get to travel around the world on an extended 5 star vacation!! For many people that is too hard to resist. They may stumble into love but the majority of them I think love isn't their first and foremost reason for doing the show.

If I look at it like that...well, it makes it easier for me to roll my eyes when people talk about being crushed about getting let go, or when they cry and tell us how hard it is to find love when you're young, single, beautiful, successful...

I have a feeling that ratings were going to be down this season no matter who the lead was. Ben's season was downright bad (and I was a huge fan during Ashley's season) and I think it turned a lot of people off the show. I think it will improve but some may not be back.

I'm liking Emily more than I expected along with a few of the guys. I've over worrying about whether there's a happy ending or if they'll make it. I just want to enjoy the ride and try to forget about Ben's season.
    Living and ilja like this.