Closed Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: 7/11 Show Thread: Episode 7 *West Coast Spoilers*

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: 7/11 Show Thread: Episode 7 *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    JP does nothing for me, I don't see the attraction to him at all - he reminds me of 'that guy' who always knows the right thing to say and has the cheesiest of pick up lines. He's that guy at the bar who puts his elbow on the bar while he's scanning the joint for his next conquest.
    I remember a lot of people saying the exact same thing about Roberto and now we know that line of thinking couldn't be farther from the truth. I have a feeling the same will be said of JP - that he's a genuine guy who really cares for Ashley. If he wasn't, would he be so worried about her breaking his heart like his ex-girlfriend did? That's my take on it, at least.

ETA - Not sure I care for this whole northern/southern talk. It never gets us anywhere good. (And this is from a Ma$$hole who lives in the deep south, so I've heard my share of both accents.) If they hadn't told us JP is from NY, I never would've guessed it. His accent is barely discernible. His mother definitely has a much stronger accent. I hope those who can't stomach it will just fast-forward his segment on Mon b/c I'm not sure I'll be able to bite my tongue if it comes to any comments about JP's heritage.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 07-16-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I agree, JP barely has an accent and his mother sure does.
    We just finished watching this last episode. As I've said earlier, I'm not the least bit interested in Ashley and her quest but hubby (!!) is and it's our "thing" to watch it together. I think Ashley has 4 great guys, not all are my cup of tea but that's not the point. It's what/who she feels something for and who's attracted to her. Ben and JP both have it pretty bad for her, esp JP and they all seem like great husband material.
    The whole season has been boring to me but I am glad that she has some good guys to choose from. She kind of drives me nuts with a lot of her quirky habits, immaturity, etc but I'm all for a good love story.
    Emily is certainly beautiful but someone needs to tell her that saying "ya know" with each sentence is just awful to listen to. I honestly think the problem there lies mostly with Brad. I'm not sure he's really ready (if ever) to settle down and be married but I especially don't think he feels comfortable in a father's role.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark! Them's fighting words.... Born in Brooklyn, NY and proud of it and still living just outside NYC. Nowhere like the Big Apple: great place and great people. And what is a "whole New Yorker vibe" anyway?
    LOL OMG, I love the fencing smileys!!!!!!

I'm certain that Ames is a terrific guy in real life, but I don't think he'd be Good TV so they probably won't ask him. He's a bit odd looking, he's a self-described nerd, and he has a very quiet manner about him. Again, dream guy for most of us women, but probably quite the Snoozer for ratings... and least that is my take on it! I'm also totally not into shaved heads, but something about JP pulled at me the first night I saw him. He is totally hot, but I also don't think he's going to be F1. Something in my head says Ben.

On a completely different note, I was surprised to find myself really liking Ryan on this episode. TOTALLY rocking the jeans and pink shirt. Great smile, great attitude, and I like how passionate he is about the environment. I just think he was awkward around Ashley because...well, it's Ashley, what's the big whoop? That last PI in my opinion was totally setting him up for becoming the next Bachelor. I would watch in a heartbeat. The other guys didn't get along with him because he's a happy, confident guy with lots of energy. So what, it's not about the other guys.

I married a man like Ryan. In the 14 years that my husband and I have been together I've seen him in a bad mood maybe twice. The man wakes up with birds chirping over his shoulder every morning like a Disney movie. He's extremely optimistic and believes that 'worrying' is useless. Since I tended to be a worrying cynic when I met him it was a bit aggravating and annoying at first, but as the years have gone on I find myself craving his optimism and relying on this stable man who always makes me see the silver lining in the clouds floating above me. It might seem unreal and a bit odd, but I'm happier now than I have been in my entire life. If Ryan is the next Bachelor, I can see women being possibly put off by his attitude in the beginning, but treasuring it by the end of the journey.

Cookie
    norealityhere and JavaJo like this.

FORT Newbie

Great insight on guys like Ryan, Cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by CookieJ View Post
    I'm certain that Ames is a terrific guy in real life, but I don't think he'd be Good TV so they probably won't ask him. He's a bit odd looking, he's a self-described nerd, and he has a very quiet manner about him. Again, dream guy for most of us women, but probably quite the Snoozer for ratings... and least that is my take on it!

As much as I like Ames, I can see what you're saying. Alas, TPTB will probably want another piece of eye candy who's more confident...like Brad and Jake. (Yes, I know Brad needed therapy and all that, but compared to Chantal's meltdowns, he was a master of confidence.)

I'm also totally not into shaved heads, but something about JP pulled at me the first night I saw him. He is totally hot, but I also don't think he's going to be F1. Something in my head says Ben.
    I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier remark. That was certainly not my intention. It had nothing to do with any accent; you're certainly right that he doesn't have one. It was the jealously thing. I didn't mean any slam against his place of birth (I've actually been to NY and enjoyed it). I meant to say that his attitude turns me off. I mean, he certainly has a right to feel uncomfortable seeing Ashley with other guys, but compared to those other guys and their laid-back attitudes, it just felt distasteful hearing him speak so harshly. Having been raised in a culture where animosity is expressed by simply freezing out a person, and you're expected to read between the lines if you're the person on the out, it simply makes me uncomfortable to see somebody expressing their negative emotions like that. The only time I have ever seen somebody do that is my ex-BF, who was a real controlling jerk. I sincerely apologize for making that post, or for at least not wording it better. I should have thought more carefully before posting.

Somebody mentioned JP's intro comments "I've already run through the NY dating scene and didn't find anything. They only lasted 2 or 3 months." I didn't like that, either. It just sounded kind of creepy. I mean, it's like the jealousy thing. It may be true, but do you need to tell everybody about it?

On a completely different note, I was surprised to find myself really liking Ryan on this episode. TOTALLY rocking the jeans and pink shirt. Great smile, great attitude, and I like how passionate he is about the environment. I just think he was awkward around Ashley because...well, it's Ashley, what's the big whoop? That last PI in my opinion was totally setting him up for becoming the next Bachelor. I would watch in a heartbeat. The other guys didn't get along with him because he's a happy, confident guy with lots of energy. So what, it's not about the other guys.

I married a man like Ryan. In the 14 years that my husband and I have been together I've seen him in a bad mood maybe twice. The man wakes up with birds chirping over his shoulder every morning like a Disney movie. He's extremely optimistic and believes that 'worrying' is useless. Since I tended to be a worrying cynic when I met him it was a bit aggravating and annoying at first, but as the years have gone on I find myself craving his optimism and relying on this stable man who always makes me see the silver lining in the clouds floating above me. It might seem unreal and a bit odd, but I'm happier now than I have been in my entire life. If Ryan is the next Bachelor, I can see women being possibly put off by his attitude in the beginning, but treasuring it by the end of the journey.

Cookie
    My hubby is not that radiantly good-natured, but he is what they call a phlegmatic personality. It takes a lot to get him upset. Most of the time he just remains calm and takes things in stride while I go nuts emotionally. I really love the balance he brings to our marriage, but again, I can see where that might not make for fascinating television.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier remark. That was certainly not my intention. It had nothing to do with any accent; you're certainly right that he doesn't have one. It was the jealously thing. I didn't mean any slam against his place of birth (I've actually been to NY and enjoyed it). I meant to say that his attitude turns me off.

Somebody mentioned JP's intro comments "I've already run through the NY dating scene and didn't find anything. They only lasted 2 or 3 months." I didn't like that, either. It just sounded kind of creepy. I mean, it's like the jealousy thing. It may be true, but do you need to tell everybody about it?
    No worries, Babbred. I think that most people understood your point JP does indeed (shoutout to Ames!) have a New Yorker vibe, which is the same as the East Coast vibe, which is more fast-paced, more frank, more high strung, and even for some sociologists, more educated. Contrast that with the West Coast vibe of someone like, say, Ben. He's the epitome of laid-back, earthy, outdoorsy West Coasters. Neither is better. It's just now who Ashley prefers I write this post having lived on both coasts

Each day, I change my mind as to who her final guy could be. As I've written before, I just don't see much of a storyline or a fire between Constantine or Ames and Ashley. At this stage of the game, it's really between East Coaster (JP) and West Coaster (Ben); between two very different lives. There's evidence that supports that either JP or Ben is the final guy.

The key here is the storyline or plot for these two guys. JP's was ratcheted up last week: he's the guy who had his heart stomped on by his last girlfriend after which the dating scene didn't work and now he's head over heels for Ashley to the point of jealousy. From the previews, it seems like his conflict is the fear of becoming heartbroken again. Will that cause him to pull away?

As for Ben, he doesn't have much of a storyline except overcoming his emotional walls, which he said he did in both episode 6 and 7. He's pretty much there for Ashley's taking. His secondary storyline looks to be JP's competition. Several times, we see JP's facial reaction or spoken responses regarding Ben. Will he outpace JP?

I'm still trying to figure out Ashley's storyline since it's been all over and interrupted by Bentley. The guy she chooses is the one who resolves her conflict as she resolves his.
    Last edited by veg_out; 07-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

No offense taken here either, Babbred. I was just playing with ya. Having lived my entire life around the NYC environs, not counting the college years, I tend to think I don't have any strong accent and I just didn't hear it on JP at all. I guess I didn't understand what you meant by a NY vibe but I guess if we are comparing Ben to JP, yes, they are very different. I have heard from friends who have moved to other parts of the U.S. that yes, living in NYC is a much different way of life, much more fast-paced, as veg_out mentioned above, so I guess I get what you were trying to express now.

Hometown dates tomorrow.

[QUOTE=veg_out;4338612]No worries, Babbred. I think that most people understood your point JP does indeed (shoutout to Ames!) have a New Yorker vibe, which is the same as the East Coast vibe, which is more fast-paced, more frank, more high strung, and even for some sociologists, more educated. Contrast that with the West Coast vibe of someone like, say, Ben. He's the epitome of laid-back, earthy, outdoorsy West Coasters. Neither is better. It's just now who Ashley prefers I write this post having lived on both coasts

I was born on the East Coast - still have many relatives there and still visit a lot.
    Have lived on the WC for most of my life.
    Quiite frankly, I have no idea where the myth of "laid back West Coast person" came from or where the "high strung East Coast vibe" came from.
    People out here are far from laid back and people on the East coast are far from high strung.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

[QUOTE=norealityhere;4338753]
    Quote Originally Posted by veg_out View Post
    No worries, Babbred. I think that most people understood your point JP does indeed (shoutout to Ames!) have a New Yorker vibe, which is the same as the East Coast vibe, which is more fast-paced, more frank, more high strung, and even for some sociologists, more educated. Contrast that with the West Coast vibe of someone like, say, Ben. He's the epitome of laid-back, earthy, outdoorsy West Coasters. Neither is better. It's just now who Ashley prefers I write this post having lived on both coasts

I was born on the East Coast - still have many relatives there and still visit a lot.
    Have lived on the WC for most of my life.
    Quiite frankly, I have no idea where the myth of "laid back West Coast person" came from or where the "high strung East Coast vibe" came from.
    People out here are far from laid back and people on the East coast are far from high strung.
    My post was about the stereotypes of each coast. Of course, there are outliers. The whole discussion just exemplifies the problem with stereotypes, which is why I said that neither was better.

At the time when I wrote it, I was more concerned that Babbred not feel bad about writing her thoughts or the subsequent discussion that posters created. I think I'll just stick to discussing the show so as not to offend people.

Closed Thread