Closed Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: 6/20 Show Thread: Episode 5 *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/20 Show Thread: Episode 5 *West Coast Spoilers*

Someone doesn't HAVE to be present in order to feel a sense of closure with them or the relationship. There are plenty of times that the other party will not, or cannot, be present ... due to death, divorce, or they hate you and don't want to see you again, whatever ... and still you can get closure in your own mind. Bentley is only flown halfway around the world for dramatic effect. At most, they could have set up a Skype, during which Ashley asks him why he really left, or whatever it is she wants to know to achieve closure. He's either going to be honest with her or not, one way or the other. The fact that she needed to see him in person again would upset me if I were one of the other guys.

I mentioned upthread about the Leno show and how strange I found her answer to his question about whether she would go out with him in the real world, knowing what she knows now (AFTER the show ended). Seemed to me her answer indicated that she might.

FORT Fanatic

Quick question from a former watcher of this series. How many viewers on here are really still watching this season? I got an intervention and broke away from the zombie-like Monday night bore the second week. I come on here to see if anything interesting happens. It does not!
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 06-26-2011 at 03:22 AM.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fogey

I TRY to watch it mostly out of habit. The fact that there's nothing else to watch on Monday night now that everything I used to DVR when this show was on last winter is a repeat also steers me in the direction of this awful borefest. I struggle to stay awake through most of it. I figure if I torture myself to watch as much as I can stay awake for, I don't want to sleep through the oh-so-climactic rose ceremony. I managed to stay awake for most of the last show because I was so PO'd about the horrible, stupid boxing match and that darling Ames was hurt, and yet Ashley didn't go with him to the hospital and the fights continued.

I usually have it on for the background noise but I am usually reading a book or scanning the net and truthfully the last two weeks I feel asleep after the first hour...the only way I would really pay attention next week since we have seen the previews and know Bentley shows back up...I would watch her tell him off and really go off on him....but I am sure I am dreaming and that won't happen
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out View Post
    If by HTDs Ashley hasn't firmly released Bentley and turned her attention to the guys, then I'll definitely say that this season was a complete bust. Until then, I'm not so sure that we're being told the truth by the show, season 7 contestants, or Chris Harrison. This Bentley storyline serves the same purpose as Michelle, Rego/Frank, Vienna vs. Ali, Dave vs. Juan and Ed. It fuels drama until we're down to four guys. That being said, I have seen affection from Bentley towards Ashley and a seeming ease: Ashley seems to get lost in him. In contrast, the most equal relationship is JP and her or even Ben and her.

Regarding the show trying to protect the F1 relationship, I agree with you that the editing of Ashley really isn't helping their young relationship. If, however, Ashley and her F1 talked honestly about the show, its angle, and Bentley, then I can see them both accepting that the show is not reality. Their relationship NOW is the only thing that's real.

About Ashley and holding onto Bentley: She spent between 8-10 days with him when they clicked. If she really thought he'd go with her to the end, then when he left she had to process the end of that possibility. Though some may say that her depth of emotion was disproportionate to the amount of time spent with Bentley, the girl falls hard. I don't think she was in love, but due to the nature of the show, she'd planned out her ending. Losing that, it can be crushing. Her need for closure, especially as she develops more feelings for the guys present, indicates that she is emotionally mature: she knows what she needs to enter into something healthy and honest with a guy. She wants to close all the doors of her past so that she can be in the present and future with one of these guys. I also take it as a really good sign that Ashley is easily letting go of the other guys who don't want to be with her (Ben C). At this stage, it seems like she is taking it seriously because I think she does know who she wants.
    The difference between those instances of drama and this season is that while all of them were going on, we still saw the lead developing a relationship with their top 2 'contenders'. Here, the drama IS the lead and trying to find her top 1 or 2 and there is no additional story in addition to the drama. The drama is the ONLY story. That's why I'm 50/50 in thinking Ashley ends up alone. As far as gaining closure, IF Ashley had zeroed in on 1 or 2 people, then Pinto's leaving should've made her say, okay, he left but I was interested in more than just him and I'm going to move on. But she's not. Or if she did, they didn't show us this, and it ALWAYS comes down to the story they want us to see. That's why I'm questioning this season's outcome... Storywise, this is the only story. Even the men's annoyance with Ryan only lasted an episode...we should all be wondering why...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    ...the only way I would really pay attention next week since we have seen the previews and know Bentley shows back up...I would watch her tell him off and really go off on him....but I am sure I am dreaming and that won't happen
    I agree with the above, but considering the huge smile/hug/kiss greeting in the previews, I have a feeling that whatever TPTB let us see, the real thing probably went something like this:
    Ashley makes it clear to Bentley that she has deep feelings for him & can't stop thinking about him.
    Bentley nods his head & looks phony-longingly, but doesn't give her the response she wants.
    Ashley asks him flat out if there is any chance for the 2 of them, making it clear that she doesn't want to let him go.
    Bentley somehow says Nope, it's done. No chance.
    Ashley says then she's "moving on" with someone else, hoping that will kick him into changing his mind.
    Bentley then says Good Luck, not giving the response she wants.
    Ashley leaves mistakenly feeling she got "closure" rather than feeling she was dumped again by him.
    Ashley then "moves on" with someone else, feeling like "I'll show him." But not realizing she's as hung up as ever & that she was played for a fool.

Foolish, pathetic little girl. Poor F1.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I usually have it on for the background noise but I am usually reading a book or scanning the net and truthfully the last two weeks I feel asleep after the first hour...the only way I would really pay attention next week since we have seen the previews and know Bentley shows back up...I would watch her tell him off and really go off on him....but I am sure I am dreaming and that won't happen
    They really need to ditch the ... uhhh ... reality (yeah, sure) format and go balls-out Melrose Place with this. Have Ashley go full-on Kimberly, pull off a wig to reveal a big ol' scar, and then blow up Bentley's hotel.

Now that would be closure worth watching.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    The difference between those instances of drama and this season is that while all of them were going on, we still saw the lead developing a relationship with their top 2 'contenders'. Here, the drama IS the lead and trying to find her top 1 or 2 and there is no additional story in addition to the drama. The drama is the ONLY story. That's why I'm 50/50 in thinking Ashley ends up alone.

You might be on to something, Hexi. During Ali's season, Blondie wrote a post about the edit revealing the true state of the lead's final relationship; if the show edited the time with the F1 in a favorable light despite all the surrounding drama then that indicates the degree to which they expect the couple to survive (that's my inference). Despite the Frank debacle, they made a point to allow Ali/Roberto's time together to shine. Esp. when Ali was with Roberto, she was portrayed in her best light.

On the other hand, Ashley's edit hasn't been very pretty. Even her dates with Ben and Ames, some of the reactions that they left in there surprised me; with JP, they only highlight their intense passion and her insecurity. Though the guys are shown to have tremendous depth, Ashley is shown to be insecure when she could not be in real life. If you taped any person for one day and then edited together their statements of insecurity--which we all have--in that day and string them together, we too would look insecure. It sort of reminds me of all the desperate, drunk shots that the show left in of Jill.

Since we've talked about Bentley's return and Ashley's reaction, I was surprised to read Chris H.'s comments in a TV Guide interview that Ashley becomes "a bit arrogant and cocky" after her time with Bentley. I'm not sure that I've ever heard them describe a lead in such unflattering terms. Why would they do that? It could be that the outcome isn't as expected. I remember the ominous comments made by Chris during Brad's season that didn't assure the fans of success in Bremilyville.

Some of our impressions are skewed by the amount of spoiler info that we have. Certainly, anyone who's read RS's spoilers about the season and episodes should laugh at me for my naivete. At this point, I read each week's press release, the exit interviews, and Ashley Spivey's blog, and then figure it out from there. LOL.

I do hope that Ashley connected with someone night one, and this heap of drama was concocted to cover over that bond. That's the optimist in me Everyone deserves love

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out View Post
    You might be on to something, Hexi. During Ali's season, Blondie wrote a post about the edit revealing the true state of the lead's final relationship; if the show edited the time with the F1 in a favorable light despite all the surrounding drama then that indicates the degree to which they expect the couple to survive (that's my inference). Despite the Frank debacle, they made a point to allow Ali/Roberto's time together to shine. Esp. when Ali was with Roberto, she was portrayed in her best light.

On the other hand, Ashley's edit hasn't been very pretty. Even her dates with Ben and Ames, some of the reactions that they left in there surprised me; with JP, they only highlight their intense passion and her insecurity. Though the guys are shown to have tremendous depth, Ashley is shown to be insecure when she could not be in real life. If you taped any person for one day and then edited together their statements of insecurity--which we all have--in that day and string them together, we too would look insecure. It sort of reminds me of all the desperate, drunk shots that the show left in of Jill.

Since we've talked about Bentley's return and Ashley's reaction, I was surprised to read Chris H.'s comments in a TV Guide interview that Ashley becomes "a bit arrogant and cocky" after her time with Bentley. I'm not sure that I've ever heard them describe a lead in such unflattering terms. Why would they do that? It could be that the outcome isn't as expected. I remember the ominous comments made by Chris during Brad's season that didn't assure the fans of success in Bremilyville.

Some of our impressions are skewed by the amount of spoiler info that we have. Certainly, anyone who's read RS's spoilers about the season and episodes should laugh at me for my naivete. At this point, I read each week's press release, the exit interviews, and Ashley Spivey's blog, and then figure it out from there. LOL.

I do hope that Ashley connected with someone night one, and this heap of drama was concocted to cover over that bond. That's the optimist in me Everyone deserves love
    Excellent post, Veg. I read the TV guide article also and it's realy made me think. It's not common to throw the lead under the bus, so to speak, which leads me to believe there was even more going on than we're seeing - maybe Ashley was being difficult to work with - or else (more likely) CH is fanning the flames of drama to get people talking. It's a pretty boring season otherwise.

The funny thing about this show (and basically all reality tv) is that we viewers complain about the drama, the over-the-top dates in exotic locations that are so far from real life and the editing. Without those, however, what do we have? Maybe your next-door neighbor or co-worker's life? Boring! The early seasons of the show had much less drama but we seemed to enjoy it more. Have we become jaded and need more craziness to keep us interested?

I liked Ashley okay in Brad's season and I don't think she's changed so much as the editing for her has changed for maximum dramatic effect. And I still believe that tptb are behind the whole Bentley debacle. He gave them something to work with, for sure, but he probably didn't have a clue how twisted and edited his comments would be.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme View Post
    Quick question from a former watcher of this series. How many viewers on here are really still watching this season? I got an intervention and broke away from the zombie-like Monday night bore the second week. I come on here to see if anything interesting happens. It does not!
    Can't honestly say that I'm watching every minute of every episode, but I'm keeping up. It's a little boring at times.

Closed Thread