Closed Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: 6/20 Show Thread: Episode 5 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 6/20 Show Thread: Episode 5 *West Coast Spoilers*

Hmm, perhaps Ryan was itching to have a go at Blake, after Blake telling him no one liked him.

I pretty convinced that Bentley's loathsome PI's were taped sometime after he came back, because TPTB wanted a storyline where he was outrageous. There's a quality to his narrative that makes it seem that he's watched the video of their interaction, and then is explaining what was going on from his perspective. And I find it entirely possible that he was encouraged to be as nasty as possible. I'm thinking they didn't show Ashley all these loathsome comments while she was still pining over him (prior to his return) because they didn't HAVE them! Which would have to mean that she doesn't keep him around, or they wouldn't be using them now. I hope that means she gets closure; i.e. gives up her Bentley fantasies. I know sleuthing is forbidden here, and I've never been one to sleuth anyway (too lazy!), so I have nothing to back all this up. Just the feeling I'm getting. I haven't analyzed backgrounds or garments to try to figure out when he said particular things. I just am totally suspicious of the whole "storyline".

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Color me all shades of naive, but I believe the Bentley storyline to be straight up. The interviews were done at the mansion in LA from the backgrounds. Any new interviews will have a Hong Kong hotel background. I think, though, that Bentley was hard to get. Chris says he would TRY to make something happen, not promising anything. The producers had probably been on the phone with him since he left wanting another rendezvous for the drama of it. Looks like they got it. But, we'll see. The previews are rather confusing in that he opens the door, gives her the killer smile and pulls her in for a hug. Does he ever leave the hotel room? Guess we wait to see what happens, as they say.
    dagwood likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
    Re: Question of Ashley as educated/intelligent -

1. Penn Dental is consistently ranked as one of the top Dental Schools in the country - generally less than 10% of those applying are admitted - and it is an Ivy League institution (all of Penn's programs, graduate and undergraduate, are difficult to get into).

2. Educated/intelligent does not automatically translate into being brilliant on-screen or being a great communicator, in general.

3. Fleiss and Ashley should have pretty equal responsibility of showcasing her relative success - I think if we saw her in more of her own element (dental class, performing dental procedures with patients), we may have an entirely different perspective. Her insecurities are not based on a lack of intellect, intelligence or general knowledge, but probably more closely related to a history of relationship issues or perhaps a lack of dating experience relative to many other women her age.
    ITA! What a amazing point How come we've never seen Ashley in her "professional" enviornment???? Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Color me all shades of naive, but I believe the Bentley storyline to be straight up. The interviews were done at the mansion in LA from the backgrounds. Any new interviews will have a Hong Kong hotel background. I think, though, that Bentley was hard to get. Chris says he would TRY to make something happen, not promising anything. The producers had probably been on the phone with him since he left wanting another rendezvous for the drama of it. Looks like they got it. But, we'll see. The previews are rather confusing in that he opens the door, gives her the killer smile and pulls her in for a hug. Does he ever leave the hotel room? Guess we wait to see what happens, as they say.
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Bentley is blameless, but knowing how things can be edited...he may have been thrown under the bus a bit to look worse than he really is. The interview I saw with his ex showed she was perplexed by his behavior. I also saw a blog by his co-workers that was pretty "rah-rah, Bentley," where they said the truth would "come out." (Don't ask where that blog is because I tried to go back and search for it but I couldn't find it.)
    I haven't gone back and analysed all his itm's but I felt strongly after re-watching the one where he says, "I'm going to make Ashley cry - I hope my hair looks good" that that was one that was edited. (Imagine the production crew asking him if he was ready for his itm to be filmed and he said, "yeah. I hope my hair looks good.")
    Also, someone on the motherboard threw out the idea that maybe the reason tptb didn't show Ashley all that Bentley was saying was because it had been spliced and diced for the most negative impact. Yes, they still could've shown her the basic, "I'm not into Ashley" comments, but those don't have near the impact of the horrific things we've been seeing and hearing.
    Again, we may never know the real truth, but I don't trust MF and crew NOT to ratchet things up for maximum dramatic effect whether or not someone gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out View Post
    I'm not buying this Bentley crap anymore. Ashley's chat with Chris Harrison last night sealed it for me. Not negating that Ashley may have crushed hard on him from the start, I still can see a scam through the sugar coating. If this plot line was concocted prior to the season--which it had to have been to have Michelle warn her--then Ashley and Bentley were stuck in the trenches together. A bond forms. Regardless, it's this nightmarish flashback to Jillian and Ed.

Without the spoilers, it is rather challenging to see any real "connection" between Ashley and the other guys, mostly because only glimpses are shown of other relationships. I did, however, note that Ashley said that she has a "core group" of guys with whom she has developing relationships. It'd be nice to see those, esp with JP and Ben. Because of the way that the show is being edited, I do fear that Ashley choosing someone other than Bentley might not ring true to viewers even if her F1 was her choice from the beginning. Fortunately, like every other season, next week should clean house of the drama antics, paving the way for the HTDs and the "real" part of the season.

From what I remember of Ali's season, not many thought she'd get over Frank; several also found her rather insecure and whiny/needy. But the way that Ali tells it, Roberto was always her guy yet the audience had to watch carefully to see it; we were sort of distracted by the Frank show.

At this point, I'm not sure that Ashley's overwhelmingly insecure. I think she's found herself in an unusual situation. She was single for four years prior to The Bachelor, an ex-boyfriend died, and she did not date much, a common trait among those in professional school. School becomes all consuming. Now she's faced with 25 guys who have a variety of reasons for doing a reality show; if I were her, I too would question their sincerity. I'd actually take issue if she wasn't analyzing things. She's playing the game, but I don't think she's being played entirely. Somewhere behind all this junk, Ashley does know what she's doing and who she wants and who wants her. It's just a pity that the show needs to make her seem inept.
    From what I remember of one of her interviews after the show, Ali said that she kept a journal from the start that she wrote in daily to record what she was feeling...I think we may have even seen it in one of the episodes...I think it was the one where Rego got kicked off and CH played her the voicemails in her room. She said that she gave it to Roberto after the show to explain what she felt at the time. Ali was smart because she knew how the producers could edit things so that reality was turned upside down. This way even though he watched the show and got ticked off at some of the stuff he saw, the journal showed him the truth. Unfortunately, I don't think Ashley is that smart.
    navybelle and JavaJo like this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    From what I remember of one of her interviews after the show, Ali said that she kept a journal from the start that she wrote in daily to record what she was feeling...I think we may have even seen it in one of the episodes...I think it was the one where Rego got kicked off and CH played her the voicemails in her room. She said that she gave it to Roberto after the show to explain what she felt at the time. Ali was smart because she knew how the producers could edit things so that reality was turned upside down. This way even though he watched the show and got ticked off at some of the stuff he saw, the journal showed him the truth. Unfortunately, I don't think Ashley is that smart.

Well, I liked Ali and I like Ashley.
    I don't however, think Ali came off very bright and / or interested in the guys during her season. She barely reacted to their conversations. And, she wasn't at all articulate.
    On the other hand, I do find Ashley to be extremely articulate and personable.
    I think this season, however, has been overly manipulated by Fleiss.
    And, when that happens, I cannot throw someone under the bus. I can only be upset with the producers.
    Through the years, this show has gotten overly staged. It's always been staged, but the degree we're seeing here is much more than Trista would have ever imagined.
    veg_out likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by CookieJ View Post
    OK, something that has been bothering me is the double standard. In past seasons they have tried to be a bit more respectful of their bachelors and especially their bachelorettes. This season, it's like they're taking every single opportunity to kick Ashley when she's down. She's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and in my opinion she's a whiny wuss, but she is still their 'star' and deserves respect.On Ali's season when it was found out that "Rated R" Wrestler Justin actually had a girlfriend back home, Chris Harrison walked into Ali's hotel room, let her talk to the woman on the phone, and then cameras followed her as she confronted Justin and he walked/hobbled out the door in shame. They didn't let the farce continue. Why in the world are they treating Ashley differently? If this was Jillian or Ali Chris would have said "We need to talk... there is really something you should know... and you need to see these on-camera interviews so you can see that Bentley leaving is actually for the best, you can put this behind you, and focus on the real reason you are here so there are NO REGRETS".

I feel they are treating Ashley differently than any other Bachelorette and it's deplorable...whether they are after ratings or not, the viewers are going to eventually get sick of it and quit watching.

Cookie
    With regard to the first bold, it is my understanding that when the producers do not like their star, or the star is considered difficult, for any reason, they usually use editing as a tool for payback ... See Jake. They must really have hated Ashley.

As to the second bold, I think ... as has been mentioned previously ... that much of the Bentley trashing of Ashley was a result of editing and so, at the time of filming, his interviews were not quite what we are seeing now, so it was impossible for the producers or CH to show them. Not to take (much) of the responsibility off of Bentley, I'm sure he did much of this to himself, but I don't think we're seeing the real reality.

I will be curious to see if Bentley shows up at the Men Tell All. Wes didn't because he wanted a live show and knew if he did a taped show, they would just continue to edit as was seen up to that point. I wonder if Bentley will have a similar response because to me that will be very telling.
    nanarama likes this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

They showed Ashley in her "professional" environment during her package at the beginning of the season. She was on Hollywood 411 with CH last Sunday and he called her Dr. Ashley Hebert. She graduated in May with a 3.96 GPA, but she has some make-up work to do because of the time she missed being on the Bachelor/ette before it's official. She also has to take her state exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    Hmm, perhaps Ryan was itching to have a go at Blake, after Blake telling him no one liked him.

I pretty convinced that Bentley's loathsome PI's were taped sometime after he came back, because TPTB wanted a storyline where he was outrageous. There's a quality to his narrative that makes it seem that he's watched the video of their interaction, and then is explaining what was going on from his perspective. And I find it entirely possible that he was encouraged to be as nasty as possible. I'm thinking they didn't show Ashley all these loathsome comments while she was still pining over him (prior to his return) because they didn't HAVE them! Which would have to mean that she doesn't keep him around, or they wouldn't be using them now. I hope that means she gets closure; i.e. gives up her Bentley fantasies. I know sleuthing is forbidden here, and I've never been one to sleuth anyway (too lazy!), so I have nothing to back all this up. Just the feeling I'm getting. I haven't analyzed backgrounds or garments to try to figure out when he said particular things. I just am totally suspicious of the whole "storyline".
    I found it very interesting today when watching Jesse Csinsak's vlog to learn that they tape narration for hours after the season is over. He had several other contestants on, and referred to some of them like they could corroborate, so it wasn't just because he was the final guy. He said they have to sit in a room for like 8 hours just going through the season making comments.

The comment they highilghted (i.e. ripped on)was JP saying if you can't fall in love here, you're hopeless - they said there's no way he said that on his own or probably even during his time there. I don't remember if it was a voice-over or if we actually saw him saying it, but I found that interesting. Does anyone else watch those vlogs? Natalie, Jesse Kovacks, Trista, etc were on, and Wes was on last week. Some interesting perspectives! Most liked the fight and thought Ames was lame for not defending himself or being able to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I found it very interesting today when watching Jesse Csinsak's vlog to learn that they tape narration for hours after the season is over. He had several other contestants on, and referred to some of them like they could corroborate, so it wasn't just because he was the final guy. He said they have to sit in a room for like 8 hours just going through the season making comments.

The comment they highilghted (i.e. ripped on)was JP saying if you can't fall in love here, you're hopeless - they said there's no way he said that on his own or probably even during his time there. I don't remember if it was a voice-over or if we actually saw him saying it, but I found that interesting. Does anyone else watch those vlogs? Natalie, Jesse Kovacks, Trista, etc were on, and Wes was on last week. Some interesting perspectives! Most liked the fight and thought Ames was lame for not defending himself or being able to fight.

What is a "vlog" and how do you watch it?

Closed Thread