Closed Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: 6/20 Show Thread: Episode 5 *West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/20 Show Thread: Episode 5 *West Coast Spoilers*

For Northern Lights - There are no spoilers or speculation this season. If you read the thread explaining this, you will know why. We did it to ourselves, so to speak.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Northernlights - see the Announcements/Site Adjustments thread (toward the bottom) for a way to speed up the loading problem.

Ashley's Blog is now posted in that thread.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Been surfing around and picked up a couple of things.

1. William actually rambled on for 20 minutes during the roast. Twenty minutes! Sheesh, no wonder Ashley was looking to dump him.

2. There was even more fighting after they hauled poor Ames away. Blake and Ryan went at it to determine the "ultimate winner" and poor Ashley tolerated that, too. Oh...my...goodness. I just don't know what to say.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Newbie

I agree with your entire post. I wasn't an Ashley fan on Brad's season, but since I've watched every show since this series began, I wasn't going to stop watching now. Ashley may be a nice person, but not a good choice for this show. To add to this dismal season, this board has been just as disappointing. I mostly lurked, but I enjoyed reading everyone's opinion. Sometime I would look at the clock and realize I had spent hours reading all of the threads. I read the sticky post as to why, just don't agree with it. I never saw anything that warranted shutting nearly everything down. I was so impressed with the sluething that the posters here were capable of solving.

ETA, sorry - this was in response to Northernlights' post.
    LuckyMom and AlwaysVeg like this.

OK, something that has been bothering me is the double standard. In past seasons they have tried to be a bit more respectful of their bachelors and especially their bachelorettes. This season, it's like they're taking every single opportunity to kick Ashley when she's down. She's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and in my opinion she's a whiny wuss, but she is still their 'star' and deserves respect.

On Ali's season when it was found out that "Rated R" Wrestler Justin actually had a girlfriend back home, Chris Harrison walked into Ali's hotel room, let her talk to the woman on the phone, and then cameras followed her as she confronted Justin and he walked/hobbled out the door in shame. They didn't let the farce continue. Why in the world are they treating Ashley differently? If this was Jillian or Ali Chris would have said "We need to talk... there is really something you should know... and you need to see these on-camera interviews so you can see that Bentley leaving is actually for the best, you can put this behind you, and focus on the real reason you are here so there are NO REGRETS".

I feel they are treating Ashley differently than any other Bachelorette and it's deplorable...whether they are after ratings or not, the viewers are going to eventually get sick of it and quit watching.

Cookie
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

I'm not prepared to throw Ashley under the bus, or blame all this nonsense on her.
    Reality TV is heavily scripted. She's just going along with it.
    I found Ali last season totally inarticulate when dealing with the guys. And, then there was the whole thing with Frank and then the wrestler guy.
    At least, Ashley listens to the guys and responds to them and is articulate.
    Is she insecure? Yes. And, I do think that Fleiss is seeking to exploit that trait. But, I'm not going to throw her under the bus for that.
    That would be unfair.
    As far as the fighting, we had wrestling last season which looked pretty brutal as well.
    Ashley doesn't set these things up. The producers do.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

What amazed me is that Ryan....Mr. Happy, Happy certainly let go of some pent-up anger/rage or something like that seeing the way he bashed Ames's head in. Wow! You would think someone with a supposed "happy, happy" attitude would take it easy on someone who claims they really have no experience fighting.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Who was sent home last night?
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    For Northern Lights - There are no spoilers or speculation this season. If you read the thread explaining this, you will know why. We did it to ourselves, so to speak.
    I read about the cancelling of the spoilers & speculation threads. Was just putting in my 2cents worth because I liked the old format better, that's all.
    LuckyMom likes this.

Sorry in advance for the long post….

Watching the show last night and listening to Ashley's voiceovers about Bentley and then speaking with Chris Harrison about needing closure with Bentley reminded me of the Zeigarnik Effect. I have pulled and quoted what I believe to be relevant information from PsychWiki. Zeigarnik Effect - PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki

"The Zeigarnik Effect is the tendency to experience intrusive thoughts about an objective that was once pursued and left incomplete. The automatic system signals the conscious mind, which may be focused on new goals, that a previous activity was left incomplete. It seems to be human nature to finish what we start and, if it is not finished, we experience dissonance."

"There is a tendency or “need” to complete a task once it has been initiated and the lack of closure that stems from an unfinished task promotes some continued task related cognitive effort. The cognitive effort that comes with these intrusive thoughts of the unfinished task is terminated only once the person returns to complete the task."

"Memory is a good indicator as to whether people continue to be interrupted by thoughts of incomplete tasks. Constant thoughts of incomplete task components cause it to be retained in memory better. Interruptions that cause a person to fall behind in their objective also cause anxiety that brings about constant thoughts of unfinished business."

Ashley is really insecure and anxious. She has mentioned more than once that she has anxiety in the pit of her stomach and that she is particularly insecure about whether people are there for her and whether they are being honest. Her picker is definitely off and she doesn't have enough life experience in the romance department to know what she doesn't know and to trust what she does know. The obsession over Bentley may be more attributable to the Zeigarnik Effect than the actual person of Bentley. He pulled the rug out from under her and totally messed with her head with the dot, dot, dot. She needs closure on the Bentley situation where she makes the decision to let him go and not when he takes himself out of the running. Until that loop is closed in her subconscious, it will be like a pop-up window on her cognitive RAM that won't close permanently until she chooses to dismiss it. We won't know until next week whether that is the case. My hope is that when she sees him again, she sticks to her guns enough to ask him questions that won't allow ambiguous answers. I'd love it if he then stood in at the rose ceremony and she eliminated his sorry ass. If she doesn't then she shall reap what she sows and can sabotage any success she might have had by "trusting the process" and "having no regrets".
    Last edited by moflan; 06-21-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: link didn't show up
    Arielflies and Columbia, MD like this.

Closed Thread