Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: AMES *No Spoilers*

Re: AMES *No Spoilers*

I like it that Ames did not stop at Yale but went on to Harvard and other colleges to develop himself more. This stops hi from being inward looking thinking wrongly that he is better than others. By doing the rounds of ivy league schools with their different cultures, you rise above it all and stick to simple truth.
    The majority of Yale grads that I know, including myself, went on to Ivy League graduate schools. Regarding those who didn’t, however, it has not been my personal experience that those individuals consider themselves better than others. And that is a distinction that not only doesn’t jive with my personal experience, it comes across, quite frankly, as an assessment that those with only undergrad degrees are somehow markedly deficient on a personal level, or are lesser, while others are ‘better’.

And to mention a couple of other quick things and then hopefully move on, all Ivy League schools provide a tremendously diverse educational experience and, regarding degrees in general, I know people who possess degrees ranging from: multiple degrees, those that stopped formal education after a college degree and those who stopped after a high school degree - or are going back to school later in life to get their college degrees. And none of that, in my experience, has one whit to do with their capacities to seek universal truths or other intrinsic human values of authentic worth.

So chrisg, what sort of personal crisis or break from reality IS he going through?
    I think the general consensus we came to regarding Ames embracing the Bach franchise is that there’s a lot of pressure that accumulates from being on a traditional achievement track over time. There’s always another academic and professional goal to accomplish and it can become not just exhausting but oppressive at times. And, if you come from a background of high achievers, there are these existential crisis moments where you wonder whether you chose these goals or they were chosen for you and you begin to wonder the extent to which free will really exists in your life. It’s a cycle that can inspire yearnings for flight, rebellion and rebellious flight that come in waves.

I’m also a portfolio manager, as Ames is, and even though the markets have generally regained most of the losses since the bottom dropped out of the economy, it is a constant struggle to keep that baseline in a still difficult environment. So, professional frustration might be playing a part for him as well. A lot of money managers, right now, might be willing to take their chances with Fleissian reality over the reality of economic indicators that are stubbornly refusing to turn a corner. The market had another mini-crash today and, honestly, even applying to be a Bach’ette on a show featuring Bentley as the Bach seems like a veritable oasis at the moment.
    Columbia, MD and veg_out like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT sun

As far as Ames looking a bit shiny in Phuket...it's hot there (as I can attest to). Besides, notice the sweat stains under all the arms of the contestants. I congratulate all of them for perservering through all the rain. This wonderful atmosphere with friendly spirits is the place where Ashley falls in love with Ames. She wishes to see the world. She wants devotion, ambition, and life experience education in her mate. Ames is an eager participant in life, not some psuedo-intellectual bystander spouting off catty remarks.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by eclark View Post
    As far as Ames looking a bit shiny in Phuket...it's hot there (as I can attest to). Besides, notice the sweat stains under all the arms of the contestants. I congratulate all of them for perservering through all the rain. This wonderful atmosphere with friendly spirits is the place where Ashley falls in love with Ames. She wishes to see the world. She wants devotion, ambition, and life experience education in her mate. Ames is an eager participant in life, not some psuedo-intellectual bystander spouting off catty remarks.
    Your post is refreshing, on topic. I did not notice anything odd about Ames complexion that did not gel with the sc or environment as a whole.

a) I also noticed Ashley called Ames sweet 2 times.
    b) First person she said she can potentially see her husband was about Ames.
    c) When Ames asked what she wanted, she repeated what Ames had said about himself, having a meal together as a family and travelling together, living in a bigger diverse city with diverse people just like Ames had.
    d) I had a feeling Ashley was selling herself to Ames.
    e) Did you also notice that she kept her bottom half covered when sitting on the beach for a meal. Ashley acted modestly and not trashy.
    f) Ashley sighed when in the boat with Ames.

Though there was no kiss, Ashley said of the date,
    1) Makes me realize the unexpected does happen
    2) Pretty intense stuff
    3) that Ames was flirty
    4) She kept looking at him like she was in love with him. Coy, with lowered head, from under her eyelashes etc (during dinner).

From some french men, I learned there is more chemistry when you do not touch but are flirty and sensual without being trashy. Be very close without necessary holding etc. It makes you want more. Remember Ashley fell for Bentley BEFORE he even kissed her. He wanted to seal the kiss quickly after learning others had kissed her but, by that time, she was already putty for him(Bentley).
    Last edited by Living; 06-16-2011 at 08:59 AM.

FORT Newbie

It is usually hot (high 80's and 90's) in that part of the world. It is also very humid, especially when it rains--shiny faces and wet armpits are part of the vacation experience in Asia!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I'm hopping aboard the Aimes train too! lol Realized during his date with Ashley this past week that he has class and is very intelligent. I love that he has the Connick Jr., vibe going on in the looks dept. Let's see how long Ashley keeps him around.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Love Ames for all the reasons everyone has already expressed. I just have this feeling that he will be around for a long time (I hope so, anyway). Sweet and intelligent........what a great combination!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Newbie

I am not a fan of Ames. Just something about him bugs me. [Edit for possible spoiler information]
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-19-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Ames is a really nice guy! He's sweet, intelligent and genuine. I think he'd be a devoted husband and a very involved Dad. This man is a keeper.

FORT Fogey

They don't get any more charming than Ames. He and Ben the winemaker = my favorites.

I want Ames to narrate my life. He gives the most vivid descriptions of things with seeming earnestness. "Pretty much every color of the rainbow is represented in this set of uniforms." You can't help but smile.
    Tobi and cantstopwatchin like this.

Closed Thread