Closed Thread
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Words ... Bachelorette 5

Re: Last Words ... Bachelorette 5

Quote Originally Posted by just logic;3627195;
    Just read over on JU and interview that Jillian did with Ruth Myles (?). In it she states that while she and Ed were sequestered she would read the blogs and the forums and that while she understands that people had different favourites she would get upset at the hateful things that were being said. I'm pretty sure that prior to ATFR she knew about the 'girlfriends' even if Ed hadn't told her previously - which I think he did.
    Was this in her best interest to readblogs and forums? Why would the opinions of strangers have such an impact on her? That's like an actor reading their reviews in Variety the next morning-the smart ones know better to just avoid them and carry on.
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by momtotwo;3629670;
    So, I have a million thoughts running through my head, number one being that we all need to get a life. I mean, me included, it is ridiculous how we sit on these boards and judge these people and make assumptions about them and say harsh things about them. Jillian is a person who is complex--she is smart and funny and down to earth and girly and sensitive--and she is in love with Ed--and acting like a school girl--how horrible of her--OMG--crucify her for being bubbly.....all of a sudden she isn't composed like we want her to be....and lets not even get on the subject of how Ed is not right for her--because we all know who she should have liked, right? We all know she had better chemistry with Kiptyn or Reid because we were there, right? Come on people, like it or not, she knows who she had chemistry with and who made her feel the way she wants to feel. Who the heck knows what conversations they shared in the hours they were together we didn't see...give them a break. And a bad boy can be a bad boy right up until he meets the right girl....when a guy like that falls, it doesn't matter if they were sexting someone an hour before....guys don't think like that.....when it hit him she was the one, he probably did the right thing. We have no idea what she knows--but you can bet that they have talked about everything. I mean Ed had to sit there and watch her be intimate with other guys just days before he proposed...how do you think he feels? She wasn't exactly innocent, either.....but what really irritates me is that everyone seems so hell bent on seeing them split for a good story--I would guess if they split up at some point it is because they realize it was a mistake.....but I can't see for the life of me Ed going on tv, pretending to fall in love, involving his family, proposing, doing all of these interviews--and the whole time lying about all of it. There is more to the story people...there has to be....and my guess is Jill and Ed have talked about it and they know what they are going to do....and it is none of any of our damn business. If we they were smart they would go into a more private life and tell all the vouyers like us to bug off. I feel sorry for them no matter what. I for one hope they work out and make all of the ones that are picking them apart like vultures look stupid.

You may have a million thoughts, but they are well worth reading! I have mostly lurked here this season, maybe one or two posts, but I just had to jump on here to tell you that this is one of the most heartfelt, real, sane, down-to-earth, wonderful posts that I have read!

Thank you so much! You have made my day. I wanted to come on here and say pretty much the same thing, but I didn't have the courage.

I admire you for having the guts to say what I couldn't.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;3631024;
    You may have a million thoughts, but they are well worth reading! I have mostly lurked here this season, maybe one or two posts, but I just had to jump on here to tell you that this is one of the most heartfelt, real, sane, down-to-earth, wonderful posts that I have read!

Thank you so much! You have made my day. I wanted to come on here and say pretty much the same thing, but I didn't have the courage.

I admire you for having the guts to say what I couldn't.
    thanks. I wish everyone could understand noone would hold up to this scrutnity. They don't deserve it--let them deal with it on their own and handle the consquences.

Quote Originally Posted by momtotwo;3631183;
    thanks. I wish everyone could understand noone would hold up to this scrutnity. They don't deserve it--let them deal with it on their own and handle the consquences.
    I also appreciate what you have to say. I wanted to add that NO ONE is one-dimensional, not Jillian, Ed, Reid, Kiptyn, or anyone else on or off the show. To make one person out to be totally bad or another to be totally good, is scripting roles just as much as TPTB create storylines with "good" and "bad" characters. Relationships and people are complex, and I doubt anyone on this board really understands their relationship as much as Jillian and Ed do.

FORT Regular

So, the RadarOnline article wasn't what RealitySteve was talking about? There's more? Just saw his tweet about more revelations yet to come?

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Parasolpink;3629845;
    Was this in her best interest to readblogs and forums? Why would the opinions of strangers have such an impact on her? That's like an actor reading their reviews in Variety the next morning-the smart ones know better to just avoid them and carry on.
    I'm staying out of the fray on this whole debate (and also because I've gotten a lot of the show out of my system - a very good thing for my kids/family!), but wanted to pop back in and respond to this because I think it's very unfair criticism toward Jill. As I noted in the media thread yesterday, my career puts me in the public domain, and I'm written about with a fair amount of frequency. I raised this as a concern for the ex-gf who was coming forward, but I'll raise it again toward Jill. Until you have been in this situation - where people blog/comment/remark/say nasty things about you, you really don't understand what it is like, how demoralizing it can be, even if they are strangers, even if, sure, maybe in THEORY it doesn't matter, but we're human and very few people like to hear/read poor things about themselves, especially when and if those things aren't true. (And even when they are.)

I'm fortunate in that I have the type of personality who reads criticisms and doesn't care, but do I read them? Absolutely. And I'd be hard-pressed to find ANY of my peers, many of whom are also in the public eye, who don't read them as well, and I'd also be hard-pressed to find many people who are capable of just shrugging them off as I have learned to do. And I don't think it's in any way a negative reflection of Jill that she was upset to hear/read some of the things that have been said about her. In fact, I'd say it's much more normal and representative of human nature than Ed's reaction (which is similar to mine of not caring).

FWIW, from someone who has BTDT.
    Last edited by freelancergirl; 08-01-2009 at 07:50 PM.

"Last Words" wouldn't be complete without some final words from the devil himself.

The Brains Behind 'The Bachelor'

Lacey Rose, 07.31.09, 04:00 PM EDT

Mike Fleiss is known as the evil genius of reality TV. For good reason.

Los Angeles -- In the last decade Mike Fleiss has served up Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire,The Bachelor and Bachelorette and newcomer More to Love. He sat down with Forbes this week.

Forbes: What role should controversy play in realty television?

Fleiss: I think you need a little bit of controversy to make any show go. Look at Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian--where would those girls be without their sex tapes? The shows that I've had that have been successful have always had a solid dose of controversy.

Presumably there is a line?

I think the line is wherever Octomom is standing. That's the one thing I would not do. When there are kids involved is when I can't take it. With adults, they can make their own decisions and are responsibly for themselves; with kids, it's a television producer's job to sort of parent them--but that being said, I would never do the Octomom.

TLC's Jon & Kate Plus Eight has garnered controversy, buzz and big ratings. Do you see that and wish it were your show?

No, I wouldn't do that show either, maybe because I have kids.

Is all press good press?

Certainly all press is good press for ratings but not necessarily for matrimonial harmony. There's a trade-off there. I could never be on one of these shows and I would never have my family on one of these shows. I hope my daughter is never on the Bachelor show. Now if my son wanted to be a Bachelor, that might be cool … no, I'm just kidding.

When casting, who or what are you looking for in a reality star?

Well you always look for someone who is good looking, that's the first thing. And then someone who's not afraid to speak their mind. That unfiltered quality is really what you're looking for because if someone is trying to produce themselves its not a reality TV show anymore. It's a bad scripted show being written by the participants and that's not fun.

How has the process changed since you began?

I think it's easier to make these shows now than it was 10 years ago. Now everybody wants to do them--big stars want to be in the game because they know it's the most relevant and evasive media out there today. If you look at the magazine and entertainment shows, it's almost all they talk about. It's probably good news for the Johnny Depps and Leonardo DiCaprios of the world because the media is more interested in The Bachelor than who those guys are dating.

We've seen competition series, game shows, docu-series. What's next?

I think reality has an advantage because it's completely unpredictable--I come from the world of sports and I look at these shows as sporting events. Certainly the ones that have a game element--you don't know how it's going to end. You tune in to see who wins and who loses. I feel like a show like The Bachelor, which now is coincidentally on ABC on Monday nights where I grew up watching Monday Night Football, is now sort of become the equivalent of that for women.

How much is too much?

I don't know, but if you think about it, where would Fox be without American Idol? Where would ABC be without The Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars? Where would NBC be without The Biggest Loser and America'sGot Talent? Where would CBS be without Survivor? It's a very important part of their business structure.

What's the biggest challenge facing the genre?

The challenge is that people will become desensitized to even the craziest characters and storylines--but so far it hasn't really played out that way. It seems to be growing in popularity and I'm sure its here to stay.

The Brains Behind 'The Bachelor' - Forbes.com

LAST WORDS TO JILLIAN -
    I wish we'd seen more of your love story with Ed, more of your conversations with all the guys about real things in life.

I applaud you NOT having a publicized wedding, but I'm writing in the hopes that you'll post photos and stories somewhere about you and Ed doings, decisions and wedding...

Congrats to you and Richie. My advise -- accept each other as you are.

(Just looked up River North ... I see the Merchandise Mart is there. Best wishes from a fellow interior designer!)

Quote Originally Posted by freelancergirl;3631320;
    I'm staying out of the fray on this whole debate (and also because I've gotten a lot of the show out of my system - a very good thing for my kids/family!), but wanted to pop back in and respond to this because I think it's very unfair criticism toward Jill. As I noted in the media thread yesterday, my career puts me in the public domain, and I'm written about with a fair amount of frequency. I raised this as a concern for the ex-gf who was coming forward, but I'll raise it again toward Jill. Until you have been in this situation - where people blog/comment/remark/say nasty things about you, you really don't understand what it is like, how demoralizing it can be, even if they are strangers, even if, sure, maybe in THEORY it doesn't matter, but we're human and very few people like to hear/read poor things about themselves, especially when and if those things aren't true. (And even when they are.)

I'm fortunate in that I have the type of personality who reads criticisms and doesn't care, but do I read them? Absolutely. And I'd be hard-pressed to find ANY of my peers, many of whom are also in the public eye, who don't read them as well, and I'd also be hard-pressed to find many people who are capable of just shrugging them off as I have learned to do. And I don't think it's in any way a negative reflection of Jill that she was upset to hear/read some of the things that have been said about her. In fact, I'd say it's much more normal and representative of human nature than Ed's reaction (which is similar to mine of not caring).

FWIW, from someone who has BTDT.
    This was my first year on FORT and any other bachelorette related board and being on these boards makes you skeptical about reality shows. That being said, I still love Jillian, she's still my favorite bachelorette.

I'm glad you all feel sorry for her and want to protect her, that's very admirable. The truth is, she was PAID to be on this show and signed a contract, she knew what she was getting into, just like everyone else on this show. I don't feel sorry for her or any other past contestant, they signed up for this, got the publicity and are doing what they need to do, to "get theirs". Whether that be finding love, promoting your own company, becoming a "celebrity", whatever, they signed up for this.

Message boards probably make up less than 3% of the general viewing public. Don't blame the message boards for ruining anyone's lives. I didn't go on the boards during Jason's season, didn't even know they existed and I watched his season just like a regular viewer and you know what??...I still liked him after he dumped Melissa for Molly. As a casual viewer, my thinking was, hey, if this is what he needs to do to be happy, then so be it. I didn't think anything else after the season ended. I think most contestants on this show come away in a favorable light to people who don't go on message boards. That non-message board audience is HUGE.

No one on here can ruin anyone's life, if you're blaming a message board, then you need to do some reflecting of your own.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by biglove44;3631502;
    This was my first year on FORT and any other bachelorette related board and being on these boards makes you skeptical about reality shows. That being said, I still love Jillian, she's still my favorite bachelorette.

I'm glad you all feel sorry for her and want to protect her, that's very admirable. The truth is, she was PAID to be on this show and signed a contract, she knew what she was getting into, just like everyone else on this show. I don't feel sorry for her or any other past contestant, they signed up for this, got the publicity and are doing what they need to do, to "get theirs". Whether that be finding love, promoting your own company, becoming a "celebrity", whatever, they signed up for this.

Message boards probably make up less than 3% of the general viewing public. Don't blame the message boards for ruining anyone's lives. I didn't go on the boards during Jason's season, didn't even know they existed and I watched his season just like a regular viewer and you know what??...I still liked him after he dumped Melissa for Molly. As a casual viewer, my thinking was, hey, if this is what he needs to do to be happy, then so be it. I didn't think anything else after the season ended. I think most contestants on this show come away in a favorable light to people who don't go on message boards. That non-message board audience is HUGE.

No one on here can ruin anyone's life, if you're blaming a message board, then you need to do some reflecting of your own.
    Never once did I even mention ruining someone's life. And never once did I blame a message board (though I appreciate the snarky tip on self-reflection). I don't think you read my post accurately. I was responding to her calling Jill out on caring that people criticized her online, which I think is a very normal reaction - her caring, that is.

Closed Thread