Closed Thread

Thread: Ed - Bachelorette 5

  1. #941
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by AFrankR;3629355;
    And trust with ignorance is bliss.
    Just sayin'.

    We aren't part of this, our life is not affected. We didn't tell a story. So is it REALLY our business to judge anyone?

    Let me know if the answer isn't clear.
    Yes, it is our business because, in a sense, the story was sold to us. We bought it with our viewership and, from what I hear, Jillian made a nice chunk of change. So, she sold it and we bought it. There is no Ed and Jillian without the viewers being invested in the first place.

  2. #942
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,845

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3629628;
    Yes, it is our business because, in a sense, the story was sold to us. We bought it with our viewership and, from what I hear, Jillian made a nice chunk of change. So, she sold it and we bought it. There is no Ed and Jillian without the viewers being invested in the first place.
    Well, if you consider the fact that viewers weren't actually forced to watch the show every Monday night, then really we chose to buy it. And you know what they say...."buyer beware"

    This show, Mike Fleiss, Jillian.....none of them owes us a blessed thing. If people didn't enjoy it they wouldn't watch. If we happen to not like the story we're being sold, well, then that's our problem isn't it?

  3. #943
    Team Choca. Brad who?! Alanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,066

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3629640;
    Well, if you consider the fact that viewers weren't actually forced to watch the show every Monday night, then really we chose to buy it. And you know what they say...."buyer beware"

    This show, Mike Fleiss, Jillian.....none of them owes us a blessed thing. If people didn't enjoy it they wouldn't watch. If we happen to not like the story we're being sold, well, then that's our problem isn't it?
    I don't get it. The show owes us everything. Without us, there is no show. No Fleiss the producer and puppet master, no Jillian the Bachelorette and no Ed the F1. The show only exists because we watch.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

  4. #944
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,845

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Sure, but I've noticed we don't call the shots and they don't seem to care what the fans think. Last season pretty much brought that home to a lot of people here who loved Melissa. Funny thing is, fans can complain all they want about the show owing us a happy ending, and yet even when things don't turn out the way we want, we continue to tune in to the next series.

    So, if we didn't watch they would cancel the show. But we continue to watch even when we feel manipulated and don't like the way the show turns out. So, who wins here? Methinks Fleiss is laughing all the way to the bank...

  5. #945
    Team Choca. Brad who?! Alanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,066

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3629669;
    Sure, but I've noticed we don't call the shots and they don't seem to care what the fans think. Last season pretty much brought that home to a lot of people here who loved Melissa. Funny thing is, fans can complain all they want about the show owing us a happy ending, and yet even when things don't turn out the way we want, we continue to tune in to the next series.

    So, if we didn't watch they would cancel the show. But we continue to watch even when we feel manipulated and don't like the way the show turns out. So, who wins here? Methinks Fleiss is laughing all the way to the bank...
    That's the point. The show is trying to rile us all up because the seasons when everything was all good and dandy and they chose an acceptable F1 (Travis, PLo, etc), no one watched and no one cared. However, when there was Brad and his drama, Jason and Mel/Mol, and now Jill and her alleged womanizing cad for a F1, people watch and get excited and all angry and keep watching the show.

    I don't even know what we're disagreeing over right now. It seems clear to me. No audience=no show=Fleiss must do whatever it takes to get people to watch.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

  6. #946
    FORT Fogey nennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,847

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanna;3629660;
    I don't get it. The show owes us everything. Without us, there is no show. No Fleiss the producer and puppet master, no Jillian the Bachelorette and no Ed the F1. The show only exists because we watch.
    I think the only people that feel this way is those who can't let it go when the show is over......99.99999% of the viewers stopped caring after tuesday night.

  7. #947
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,845

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanna;3629679;
    I don't even know what we're disagreeing over right now. It seems clear to me. No audience=no show=Fleiss must do whatever it takes to get people to watch.
    I disagree with the idea that the show "owes us" by giving us a happy ending. Obviously they don't owe us that, since they are doing just fine, ratings-wise, without it. Those that don't like the ending aren't cheated out of anything. As we've found out through all these seasons, there are those who are happy with the ending and those who are not, based on their favorites. That's the nature of the show, and the nature of reality tv. Some lose, some win.

  8. #948
    FORT Fogey pbmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,426

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Originally Posted by sweetpea
    The same things get regurgitated from site to site to site, until people can't remember where it came from, but a lot of people will SWEAR it was true. Anyone can say anything from their anonymous seat in front of their computer. None of this surprises me.

    What continues to surprise me is how emotional people get during this show, and how gleefully they look for ways to bring people down. The people perpetuating the rumours and salivating at the 'big scandal' about to break (and I'm looking at you here, RS) need to get a life.
    This fascination with people who have messed up in their life (Britney Spears, Jaime Lynn Spears, etc) is creepy. Perhaps it might be better for people to take a good long look at their own lives and thank heavens that nobody was around to witness and record and send out over the internet the worst of their misdeeds.

    Fact is, this show is nothing more than that...a show. I remember how hard it was to be an Ian fan during Meredith's season, all the bashing he got for being secretive and unable to commit. It took the fun out of their story, in a lot of ways. Now I have been able to detach myself and basically watch for entertainment not for romance. I fail to see the joy in gleefully anticipating the big reveal of whatever skeletons these people have in their closets.
    Why does it has to be about being happy for someone downfall, why can't it be just some people choose not to be fooled, that they would like to know the truth. Why does everyone has to choose to ignore powerful info, whether they like Ed or not. If Jillian has true friends, wouldn't they want to know for her sake, because they wouldn't want her to get hurt. I know if Jillian was my friend, I sure would want to know, friends don't want their friends hurt. I guess that's why his ex-girlfriends are angry and speaking out.

  9. #949
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    666

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by nennie;3629683;
    I think the only people that feel this way is those who can't let it go when the show is over......99.99999% of the viewers stopped caring after tuesday night.
    Bingo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanna
    and now Jill and her alleged womanizing cad for a F1, people watch and get excited
    That wasn't the show I watched. Jill and her hunky bulky Ed who loved her enough to risk his career is what enthralled me. Watching his tender kisses and caresses and the deepening relationship was my hook. And I loved it.

  10. #950
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Ed - Bachelorette 5

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3629640;
    Well, if you consider the fact that viewers weren't actually forced to watch the show every Monday night, then really we chose to buy it. And you know what they say...."buyer beware"

    This show, Mike Fleiss, Jillian.....none of them owes us a blessed thing. If people didn't enjoy it they wouldn't watch. If we happen to not like the story we're being sold, well, then that's our problem isn't it?
    Doesn't matter if we were forced to buy it or not. You don't return a product and the store manager says, "Well, we didn't force you to buy it." I don't ask for a happy ending. I prefer drama and trainwrecks. My point is that it is my business if Ed is hiding girlfriends, etc. They sold their business to me on ABC. This part of their story belongs to us as viewers whether they, or anyone else, likes it or not.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.