Closed Thread
Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2161626364656667686970717273747576 LastLast

Thread: Kiptyn - Bachelorette 5

Re: Kiptyn - Bachelorette 5

New Kip article from Glamour:

My Lunch with Kiptyn From The Bachelorette!
    Monday, 08/17/2009

For the photo, I asked him to take off his sunglasses, but I wanted to say, take off your shirt. Haha! Kidding. Not really.

Ladies, you will not believe this. I found out that a friend from home knows Kiptyn Locke, the finalist from The Bachelorette! Soooooo, I decided to track him down for an interview while I am still in San Diego!

We met at an outdoor French bistro in Encinitas. We talked about the show, of course, but the only thing I did not find out was whether Ed was cheating on Jillian. (Kiptyn claims not to know—other than the rose ceremonies, he never saw Ed in Spain or elsewhere after his return because they had separate hotels and flights.) I might have dug deeper, but it was hard to focus, what with all the Kiptynness that was in front of me. Sorry, girls. I just…I don’t know, I kept trying to figure out which was nicer, his personality or his body. I’m still deciding. Both were exceedingly wow. Anyway, here’s how our conversation went. (This is VERY long. You’re welcome.) Enjoy!

Erin: What is the origin of “Kiptyn”?
    Kiptyn: My parents just liked the name Kip, and the -tyn, my dad wanted to make it unique. Or weird.

Erin: What did you guys do all day in the Bachelorette house?
    Kiptyn: When we weren’t filming, we’d hang out, drink, and occasionally work out. We couldn’t have radio, music, TV, internet, ipods, magazines, or books. At first I thought, I’m a grown-ass man, I’m 30, but now I get it, that’s how you get to know people. It’s forced interaction. That’s how stuff comes out. Someone could fly under the radar for 2 months under a different situation—but this way, it’s hard to hide true colors.

Erin: So like, you had to rely on each other for entertainment? Like the pioneers?
    Kiptyn: Sometimes we got creative. We would do a mock pre-fight meet. ‘Let’s talk about this guy, against this guy,’ ridiculous stuff. You get to know all the guys really quick, and then you get to know Jillian really well, and I could just see who I could see her with, or not. Like within a week, I could think of all my female friends and which one of the guys I would set them up with.

E: I thought guys didn’t think about setting people up and stuff.
    K: You’re forced to think 24 hours a day about compatibility. I knew, but the question was, will she know?

E: Explain the term, “Man code.”
    K: Man code is a couple of things. One is, if you’re going to say something that will make a guy look bad, just don’t say it. The other side, with reference to Dave, is to be real with guys. Basically, be man enough that if you don’t want to do something, be honest. Don’t put on a front to appease a guy or fit in. When Juan didn’t take a shot, that got carried away on the show as this big man code violation. The issue could’ve been handled differently. Dave has a tattoo that says, “Death before Dishonor.” He is the ultimate guy’s guy. To Dave, a violation of trust is the ultimate.

E: Which bachelor would make the worst roommate and why?
    K: The worst? How about the best roommate?

E: Fine. You’re very positive. I can tell I won’t get any dirt out of you.
    K: Michael Stagliano. He’s funny. I couldn’t see him with Jillian, but he was a good, respectable guy. Robbie is fun too.

E: During taping, did you think about the competition, the way some guys bothered with Wes or Juan?
    K: I didn’t. It’ll get in your head too much. You have to think about your connection with Jillian. If her connection was with someone else, then I knew I shouldn’t be there. It’s not a competition; it’s about chemistry and compatibility. That’s where people were mistaken. A lot of great guys went home early, but they weren’t losers, they just weren’t the fit for that particular girl.

E: What was up with Tanner’s foot fetish?
    K: I wasn’t even really aware of it during the show, and he was like my good buddy. He was funny. I knew he appreciated feet but not to that extent.

E: Jake said nice guys finish last. Do you believe this?
    K: He was a nice guy. I don’t know if I totally agree with that. I could use that as my excuse for why I didn’t get picked. Sometimes nice guys finish last but you should never change yourself to get the girl.

E: Let’s talk about Ed leaving. I sound like Chris Harrison.
    K: I got along with him. I didn’t want him to leave. It wasn’t a competition for me. I wanted the best two people for Jill, and I didn’t want to be that guy by default. I could sense she really had feelings for him, and my ending up with her because he’s not there, is not a win. You want the two most right people. When he came back, I was glad, and if I went home because Ed came back, I’d be glad about that, too.

E: What’s going on with Ed and Jillian? What do you know?
    K: They are still together. Today.

E: Who is going to be the next bachelor?
    K: Mike Fleiss, the creator of the show, said last week that it will be either Reid, Jake, or myself. I swear on my life I don’t know.

E: Take your sunglasses off and tell me that.
    K [Takes glasses off]: They are talking to all of us and they don’t know where it will go. I don’t think it will be me.

E: It probably also depends on what kind of talent is applying to meet each Bachelor. Would you want to do it?
    K: I’d be open to the idea, but I have a few questions. I think it’s a good opportunity because having been through the process, I believe it can work.

E: When will we know?
    K: I will know within the next couple weeks. Chris said it will be announced within a month.

E: What if they edit you like crazy and you come out looking like a jerk?
    K: They can’t create [a jerk], you have to give them something to work with.

E: What surprised you about Jillian?
    K: A lot of things. Just her high energy, lust for life, a go-for-it mentality. She could adapt to different situations and she was low-maintenance. She’s a very strong woman. People questioned her decisions, but they don’t know the background. It’s about what she wants, not what America wants. She didn’t make any decisions that I didn’t guess myself. I usually knew who was going home. Even the Wes stuff, I got why she was into him.

E: Thoughts on Wes?
    K: Wes was a friend of mine on the show and I think he’s a better guy than was shown. I wouldn’t hook him up with my own sister, but he’s a good guy. He’s sarcastic, and that was miscommunicated on the show. Not intentionally, but if you don’t see the background, you don’t know.

E: What scenes were embarrassing for you to watch?
    K: The flamenco dancing and the tightrope were humbling. They didn’t show [most of the tight rope]. Jill was laughing so hard, and the more she laughed, the less I could do it. The flamenco pants revealed everything. I was waiting for that episode. I was thinking, ‘The whole world’s going to see my junk.’

E: Lucky for you, the pants were black. We couldn’t see anything. After doing this show, are you burned out on dating, or are you more serious about finding someone?
    K: I’m not burned out on dating. I’m excited. I learned a lot from the show. I know that sounds clichéd, but for the first time in my life, I really sat and reflected on a daily basis how I felt. You think about big picture things, and toward the end I stepped out and went for it. I’ve never really done that before, but there’s something liberating about that. You feel better about having tried, and you learn. I have a better idea of who I would be compatible with. Jill and I didn’t work out, but maybe it’s the type of person I realize I want to have.

E: What is one quality or trait you look for in a woman?
    K: I tend to like active women and quirky women who go with the flow.

E: Why do men always want a spontaneous woman?
    K: Men overuse or misuse that word. It probably really means someone who is down to do anything at any time. If someone says, “Let’s go to Vegas,” let’s do it. For us small bird-brained men, that means spontaneous.

E: What is the biggest mistake women make on a first date?
    K: Not being themselves, putting on a front. I never want to like someone because of something they’re not. I’d rather get the real person, good or bad.

E: Well, what about TV? Are people being real on TV?
    K: Well, for me I was just dating Jillian, and I don’t think she acts.

E: What did you do last night?
    K: I whored myself out for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I was a live auction item. I gave away a date. We ended up giving it to the top 2 bidders. It was flattering but amazing, too, and CFF is a great organization.

E: How much were you worth?
    K: $8,400.

E: No way! I better appreciate this lunch. What did the girls look like?
    K: One bidder bought it for her daughter who wasn’t there. And another girl bid for her friend who was on the phone and couldn’t be there.

E: Okay, for the diehards, let’s do some Kiptyn Trivia. Favorite beer?
    K: Karl Strauss Amber Lager.

E: Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Aniston?
    K: I’m going to go with Jennifer Aniston.

E: Favorite sport (to play)?
    K: Surfing.

E: Longboard or shortboard?
    K: Shortboard usually. Long when there are small waves—only when I have to.

E: Boxers or briefs?
    K: Boxer-briefs.

E: Favorite TV show?
    K: Entourage.

E: Book?
    K: I just read Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell.

E: How many hair products do you own?
    K: One. I either use it or I don’t. It’s some CREW thing.

E: Do you go to chick flicks?
    K: If I’m with a chick.

E: What about with your sister?
    K: I don’t think my sister would watch one. But I’m secure in my manhood. If it’s what the woman wants, I’ll do it for her.

E: What made you go on TV?
    K: About 4 or 5 months after I’d been in my last relationship, a friend called. He had given my name to a recruiter for The Bachelorette. I said, “Thanks, but no thanks.” He said, “Well, at least talk to the guy.” The guy said to throw my name in the hat, keep the door open, think about it, so I did. Then 5 months later, I’d had a lot of time to think about it, and I said, “Why not?” I thought there was a small chance I’d end up falling for the girl, but I would be true to myself, and I didn’t have anything to lose.

--

Okay! So there you have it! I must say, over the course of our interview, it was fun watching Kiptyn get recognized. When he got up to get our food, hordes of women blitzed him and asked him for photos. He was very gracious. And at lunch, he shared his nicoise salad with me and even gave me some avocado to put in my turkey sandwich. What a guy!

What do you think? Will Kip be the next Bachelor? And don't you think we girls should have a woman code? I think we should stick together a bit more. Anyway, please leave a nice comment for Kip, and feel free to ask him a question. We might still be able to get some answers from him.

so the girls who won the auction are the young blonde, and the older lady? Anyone know more (ie did the older lady bid on behalf of her daughter or something, or is he really going on a date with her?)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SDMOM;3664721;
    Sorry, being a Kiptyn Homer, I have to respectfully disagree. I've listened to his interviews and been following his tweets, he's actually really articulate (not a whole lot of "you know" or "hmmm"), and has a sense of humor - different than Reid's, more low-key. JMO, of course
    For the record, I don't want him to be the next Bachelor; I want him to be on either the Amazing Race or Big Brother (7/24 of Kip, YEAH! )
    Me and you both on that

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyCupCanes;3664728;
    New Kip article from Glamour:

My Lunch with Kiptyn From The Bachelorette!
    Monday, 08/17/2009

For the photo, I asked him to take off his sunglasses, but I wanted to say, take off your shirt. Haha! Kidding. Not really.
    thanks for posting! Wow, he sounds *perfect* (in a good way, not a Jake way). Answers the questions I just posted about the auction.

Also, I would LOVE to know who he was thinking of hooking up with his friends!! I wish she had asked a question about Reid

Quote Originally Posted by atlMD;3664682;
    Kip is really an outstanding guy but a better bach than Reid - nah! I just don't see him being able to carry a show for that long nor carry out a well thought out discussion - JMO as usual
    I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with this. We probably would have seen more discussions from Kip if Jillian would have actually been interested in what he had to say, instead of just wanting to make out with him. Now if you follow Kip outside of the show, like all of here on the KIP thread, you would see and hear a very personable, articulate, intelligent man. He is using his fame at the moment and putting it towards some very good causes. I for one, really hope he stays away from doing the bach. and continues to do exactly what he is doing right now.

I noticed that Kip now has as many followers on Twitter as Reid. His popularity is right there with Reid and growing!

Quote Originally Posted by chopstickchick;3664739;
    thanks for posting! Wow, he sounds *perfect* (in a good way, not a Jake way). Answers the questions I just posted about the auction.

Also, I would LOVE to know who he was thinking of hooking up with his friends!! I wish she had asked a question about Reid
    You're welcome - I loved this interview as it came across so natural. She really had fun questions and I loved the replies.

The two date winners are basically unknown as others were bidding on the behalf of the winners - how wild that must be for him!

[QUOTE=StanleyCupCanes;3664728;]New Kip article from Glamour:

Kiptyn is just getting better and better
    He definitely can carry conversations, and he's so positive and classy, not a single negative word out of his mouth!!! All the other guys should take a lesson from him and either say nice things or nothing at all. He was even glad that Ed came back!!! What a guy!!
    And I was right!! I had guessed the young lady was bidding for her friend (and thought maybe the older lady was bidding for her daughter).
    Thanks SCC, you're on top of all the media stuff!
    Kip fans are few but mighty!
    <---------- I post so I can see more of him

Quote Originally Posted by chaslom4;3664743;
    I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with this. We probably would have seen more discussions from Kip if Jillian would have actually been interested in what he had to say, instead of just wanting to make out with him. Now if you follow Kip outside of the show, like all of here on the KIP thread, you would see and hear a very personable, articulate, intelligent man. He is using his fame at the moment and putting it towards some very good causes. I for one, really hope he stays away from doing the bach. and continues to do exactly what he is doing right now.

I noticed that Kip now has as many followers on Twitter as Reid. His popularity is right there with Reid and growing!
    I agree that Kiptyn could fully carry the show. I think IF they chose him and IF he would do it, he would be the most REAL bachelor ever and basically show that which I always hoped would be shown. A HIGHLY eligible guy dating. He would not buy into the drama and would always be great to look at and nice to the women. I DO think that he would break a ton of hearts though for real, not on purpose, but just being himself. I'd love to see the woman he ultimately ends up with in real life. What a huge recruiting tool for the show he'd be! I can't see why he'd do the show though. IF he does the show I want the entire show shot at the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3664755;
    I agree that Kiptyn could fully carry the show. I think IF they chose him and IF he would do it, he would be the most REAL bachelor ever and basically show that which I always hoped would be shown. A HIGHLY eligible guy dating. He would not buy into the drama and would always be great to look at and nice to the women. I DO think that he would break a ton of hearts though for real, not on purpose, but just being himself. I'd love to see the woman he ultimately ends up with in real life. What a huge recruiting tool for the show he'd be! I can't see why he'd do the show though. IF he does the show I want the entire show shot at the beach.
    Kiptyn has definitely proven himself to be mature and intelligent. The hesitation on behalf of the show runners may very well be the absence of material to use in order to turn him into a trainwreck. Not sure if the "nice guy" seasons draw in the viewers like the high drama episodes do. I guess they'd have to cast some doozies in bachelorette ranks to provide the fireworks.

As far as likability, and maturity, and sexiness Kiptyn all the way, and I have to be honest he didn't interest me at all during Jill's season.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyCupCanes;3664745;
    You're welcome - I loved this interview as it came across so natural. She really had fun questions and I loved the replies.

The two date winners are basically unknown as others were bidding on the behalf of the winners - how wild that must be for him!
    Thanks SCC for posting this. That was a fantastic interview! It really showcased his personality and showed his funnier side as well. Great answers to some of those questions!

Ooh...and he's rockin that shirt again!!
    Last edited by chaslom4; 08-17-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Closed Thread