Thread: Editing Analysis

Re: Editing Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3989653;
    Finally! we get to place a name to one of the "new" writing crew hired by Martin a few seasons ago. He is telling us that any script writing follows the characters' actions and that the characters are not molded to fit a script. He is telling the story after the film has been shot, though we have heard that potential storyboards are in place before the first roll is in a canister. Fascinating.
    I'm sure happy to read what that writer had to say .... it's what I've been saying all along when some go on about the show being "scripted" _ I've never believed that the contestants are told what to do, or that it's "foreordained" what happens on the show. I think they are just great at casting the right mix of personalities, ask leading questions and editing what they catch on camera to tell whatever kind of story they want to fit how the season ends. I think the storyboard that we've heard about doesn't contradict what he says, but actually compliments it. As each week passes, they have to have some kind of idea how they're going to edit it, based on the actions of the Bach/ette's and the events that happen in the mansion and on dates, and the input the get from the lead as to who they feel will be the possible F4 or so guys.

As I've said before, stuff like what Justin and Frank did isn't planned, it just falls in MF's lap and he runs with it.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benny Fan;3990090;
    Thanks for the response Jobro. I half agree... of course, we all watch these shows differently. I guess on a Sunday night, I'm too tired to "over analyze and analyze perfectly", but these lines still intrigue me in a number of ways.

Just for fun, here are the quotes again with key words and phrases highlighted. Perhaps nothing is all that significant. If you remove the underlined phrase in Frank's line out of context, it almost seems like she's giving him permission to "find it" with somebody else.

"My relationship with Roberto gets stronger every time I see him. He's always sort of been the guy who I thought I could be with and end up with at the end of this. I think the closer I get to that moment, I'm almost getting cold feet along the way. It's getting really serious."

"My relationship with Chris has jumped forward in leaps and bounds beyond where it was and we finally feel like a couple. I feel love and warmness towards him. It's- it's really great. It makes me excited about how that can grow."

"I think what I was hoping the most out of this day was that Frank's family could reassure him that they see what I see between us and that it's OK to fall in love and it's OK to risk yourself to find it. At this point, I think that there's a real good possibility that Frank and I will end up together at the end of this."
    Assuming she was using her own words, that is a very interesting observation that even she probably won't see.
    Girls will make passes
    At boys who lose their glasses
    I'll find them for you.

Love is the only reality Agentcurls's Avatar

Thanks for the response Jobro. I half agree... of course, we all watch these shows differently. I guess on a Sunday night, I'm too tired to "over analyze and analyze perfectly", but these lines still intrigue me in a number of ways.

Just for fun, here are the quotes again with key words and phrases highlighted. Perhaps nothing is all that significant. If you remove the underlined phrase in Frank's line out of context, it almost seems like she's giving him permission to "find it" with somebody else.

"My relationship with Roberto gets stronger every time I see him. He's always sort of been the guy who I thought I could be with and end up with at the end of this. I think the closer I get to that moment, I'm almost getting cold feet along the way. It's getting really serious."

"My relationship with Chris has jumped forward in leaps and bounds beyond where it was and we finally feel like a couple. I feel love and warmness towards him. It's- it's really great. It makes me excited about how that can grow."

"I think what I was hoping the most out of this day was that Frank's family could reassure him that they see what I see between us and that it's OK to fall in love and it's OK to risk yourself to find it. At this point, I think that there's a real good possibility that Frank and I will end up together at the end of this."
    Always interesting and insightful JBF.....I am on this train, riding with you.

I think Ali is single, single, single unless she and Roberto have some sort of secret relationship going but these are so interesting to read anyway! I had no idea where you were going with these quotes until you bolded that Chris is the only one who she is talking about in the present tense.

Like I've said ad nauseum, my frustration with this season is that I don't care who she ends up with, even single is fine as long as the story makes sense and the edit presents it in a way I can understand.

Right now, the story they have spent the most time on has been Frank's, but closely following is Chris and Ali. Not just Chris on his own but Chris and Ali together. What I've seen of Ali's time on TB last year, it wasn't a relationship growing that they were showing, but Ali's growing to choose her job over 'love,' it was HER story and Jake just happened to be the platform. I don't see it here. They've given us a clear storyline with Chris and Ali starting with the start of their relationship progressing into friendship, understanding, etc. It's been a real relationship. People don't just meet and then immediately fall into each others arms and start making out. It has to start from being strangers to eventually a couple. I've seen it with Chris, but not Roberto. So this whole thing is a waste to me.

If Roberto somehow ends up with Ali, I wish it was their storyline we have gotten to see. Or if she ends up alone, I'm hoping we really understand why at MTP, FRC, and ATFR.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

Quote Originally Posted by Alanna;3989973;
    Honestly, we cannot have it both ways. It's either:

New story writers make the F1 controversial and hide the relationship.
    Old story writers make the F1 loved and showcase the relationship.

Here we have Roberto loved but with a hidden relationship? I don't see it.

If he is the F1, and the emotional tie is a 'hurdle' they have to overcome then I agree it'll be shown in the next 2 episodes, but it looks like it's going to be more of who is hotter with the "sparks flying" description. And then half the episode will be devoted to Frank and Nicole pretending to be Romeo and Juliet in Chitown.
    with the way you're saying F1 has to overcome an emotional hurdle, I'm seeing that being described more for Chris L than Roberto at this moment thou based on the FD description. Ali sees him as a friend but is he more than a friend and can she find romance with him. this is what i'm seeing.

Chris L is the one I'm seeing as having to overcome that emotional hurdle as she only considers him as a friend for now.
    Roberto- Ali knows she has feelings for and etc. But I think she's trying to dig deeper to see if they have more than just the physical connection.
    Last edited by kelad9; 07-18-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelad9;3990113;
    with the way you're saying F1 has to overcome an emotional hurdle, I'm seeing that being described more for Chris L than Roberto at this moment thou based on the FD description. Ali sees him as a friend but is he more than a friend and can she find romance with him. this is what i'm seeing.

Chris L is the one I'm seeing as having to overcome that emotional hurdle as she only considers him as a friend for now.
    Roberto- Ali knows she has feelings for and etc. But I think she's trying to dig deeper to see if they have more than just the physical connection.
    The way the edit has been going so far it's

Roberto has the physical but does he have the emotional?
    Chris has the emotional but does he have the physical?

Assuming we have a F1 (personally, I don't think we do), whichever is the F1 will have both. I'm pretty sure you and I agree on the bold, emotional means friend/understanding but are there sparks too? Ehh. It's all just stupid editor manipulations going on. She probably has some of either with both of the men but not enough for a relationship. Or she has plenty of both with one of the guys and he's the F1, most likely Roberto if the spoilers are real.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

Quote Originally Posted by mamasue1966;3990011;
    Ian was HATED! Matt was loved. Ian was edited as a nomadic, neurotic, and indecisive loser who had a very crazy brother and we NEVER got to see anything but a Frankendate with them. All words and actions were spliced and diced -- I think that's when the term Fleissed was invented. There was even a thread on the ABC board titled, "Ian is human," to try to counter all the Ian hate!

So, I do think Roberto's edit is similar to Ian's, but thankfully not as drastic. Just based upon FORT fanbases Chris is the loved one, but some of us have been able to look below the surface and see Ali's and Roberto's amazing chemistry. Just like some of us went against popular opinion and could see the underlying chemistry between Mereidith and Ian.

And if Roberto is F1 then that's about only the second time I've been right!!

I was on the ABC board then. There was just as many people loved Ian as did Matt. The thread was Ianism and it stay around for a long time with I can't remember how many post, it was over a thousand.

I would bet that when Roberto and Ali's FD begins, we will be hearing Ali questioning if she and Roberto have more than just physical chemistry.....Then at the end of the night, the question will be answered with a yes, we do have more than that. That's usually what happens.
    Definitely the way it goes.

FORT Fogey

"My relationship with Chris has jumped forward in leaps and bounds beyond where it was and we finally feel like a couple. I feel love and warmness tcan grow."owards him. It's- it's really great. It makes me excited about how that

JBF,
    you deserve A+++ for your analysis.

How about the word: can grow? with Chris. Also, she said it may be too late. I'm not trusting what she says here...cuz I have a feeling it's something else that bothers her.

When I referred to the HTD, I paid attention to the red flags while Ali was interacting.
    Chris said he wanted her to fall for him. That told me that he knew his love wasn't being reciprocated, YET.

Frank- she wants him but Ali feels something isn't sitting well in her gut. She thinks she can fix it

Roberto-I don't think his father helped. Ali was tongue-tied. The father gave his blessing because the TV crew was there.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax;3990132;

Definitely the way it goes.
    I don't think she ever really questioned that though...it was just for the show. I don't think she questioned whether her and Chris were moving too slow or that it was a little too late either. I think both were just questioning because she needed something to question about them for the show. jmo.

thanks for that breakdown JBF....very interesting
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club