Thread: Editing Analysis

FORT Fogey

Re: Editing Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3932792;
    I think there's a good possibility they have already shared a first kiss. Remember how they gave us an SC of Reid and Jill kissing, but left it out of the show so the viewer didn't know they had already kissed. Can't remember what episode it was, but it was after a group date and they were spending time together.
    Yes, I remember the Reid/Jill kissing SC. It was fairly early on, alone time at a RC ceremony I think, and then they didn't show anything physical between them until his 1:1 which was episode 6. Just proves that under the radar in the physical relationship department does not mean it isn't happening.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGal;3932777;
    I would guess that the baseball game was in the story line (set up by the producers ahead of time) but the flipcup game was off the cuff and not scripted.
    It could also have something to do with FCC rules about what can be shown. It's "wholesome" to show two people having a catch with a baseball, but not a positive image to portray drinking games on national TV.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3932902;
    It could also have something to do with FCC rules about what can be shown. It's "wholesome" to show two people having a catch with a baseball, but not a positive image to portray drinking games on national TV.
    Not to make light of your post, moflan, because you could very well be right, but you gave me a great visual that I had to share.

Picture Ali and Chris setting up for the flipcup game, but before the alcohol is brought out, cut to an erupting volcano and we're left to imagine what's going on in the drinking game.

Now, THAT's good editing.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechick80;3932788;
    Works for me!
    Also, I remember in Jesse Cincsak's blog, he said that there were microphones everywhere and that if the producers heard something interesting, they would send a camera crew in to film it. Perhaps their game just wasn't interesting enough. As I've said before, I think they (ChrisL and Ali) have lots in common and lots of chemistry, but commonality and comfort can read "boring" to many. I see regular, mediocre people when I see them together, which is fine IRL. BUT, this is TV...

Quote Originally Posted by reality-luv31;3932915;
    Also, I remember in Jesse Cincsak's blog, he said that there were microphones everywhere and that if the producers heard something interesting, they would send a camera crew in to film it. Perhaps their game just wasn't interesting enough. As I've said before, I think they (ChrisL and Ali) have lots in common and lots of chemistry, but commonality and comfort can read "boring" to many. I see regular, mediocre people when I see them together, which is fine IRL. BUT, this is TV...
    I completely agree with this!! I could see how flip cup would be boring to the camera crew esp if it was happening while the Justin bombardment was going down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3932898;
    Yes, I remember the Reid/Jill kissing SC. It was fairly early on, alone time at a RC ceremony I think, and then they didn't show anything physical between them until his 1:1 which was episode 6. Just proves that under the radar in the physical relationship department does not mean it isn't happening.
    I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here but on the one hand we have them editing to make it look like CL and Ali are cuddling so we think Frank & Kirk are jealous and begin to think he's a threat to the top contenders and OTOH, we have them editing out kisses to keep their relationship under-wraps? I really have a tough time buying into this.
    Last edited by Alanna; 06-14-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3932898;
    And... I remember we FoRTers were pretty PO'd that they didn't show it. We thought we were finally going to see the beginning of "something special." Then we had the pretty intimate SCs of the FFD (fake fantasy dates) of Reid and Jillian in Spain. "Aha! Now were going to see 'something special.' " Not a glimpse nor a mention in the show. In fact, they led the viewer to believe that Jillian took only Kip and Ed to a room. I'm not sure what that tells us about Chris, but it sure lets us know that stuff happens all the time that the casual viewer will never know about.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3932902;
    I think that too. Ali is supposed to be America's new sweetheart & it wouldn't be such a positive image to show her chugging down cups of beer one right after another.
    “When life kicks you, let it kick you forward.” Kay Yow

It seems they are setting up both Ali and Chris with a pristine edit. Does Fleiss love Ali so much that he has decided to make her and her f1 "the golden couple"? If Ali picks Chris most viewers will see it as the second coming of Trista and Ryan. If Ali dumps Chris, I can see her catching a lot of flack for breaking his heart after all he has been through.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3932908;
    Not to make light of your post, moflan, because you could very well be right, but you gave me a great visual that I had to share.

Picture Ali and Chris setting up for the flipcup game, but before the alcohol is brought out, cut to an erupting volcano and we're left to imagine what's going on in the drinking game.

Now, THAT's good editing.
    Yeah. More good memories. I'm not sure, though, that the "Failure to Launch" edit would be believable with Chris...

ETA: I mean the fizzle then the eruption edit.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.