Thread: Edit Analysis

Re: Edit Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;3601769;
    When I got swept up in the tsunami of posts that suddenly were all about Ed being f1, I kept going to three things. She says she is an honest, nice person. So why would she tell him she "was doing the testing, to hang in there and just trust me". If she really liked him as a person which she showed signs of, why would she mislead him that way only to send him packing at f3? If he really wasn't a great fit as a partner, mate, "team member" why bother with all those questions "nagging" (for lack of a better word) him to tell her what she wants to hear that he didn't want to lose her, his feelings for her? Right from epi 2 the edit started their story but it was slow and steady until 1-1 date and then it came front and center during Spain and HI. There are so many things in the edit that point to him as f1 based on how past shows have been edited.

Either she became a pretty good actress along the way or she had true feelings for him. She owes it to herself to follow her heart.JMO!
    ITA,have been on Reid train all along and will stay on it till the bitter end! I think the final thing for me was when Reid was stammering about the direction of where his feelings are going,,,Jillian says the love,love,love line. I thought that was a woman so excited to be hearing the "possibility" that this is it from her man,,,she knows Reid and she knew he would not say that without it being there,,she will get her words in the finale, IMO her reaction with the love,love love line was super excited!

Go over to JU they have a link to a preview of Ed meeting Jillian's family...LOL Her Dad and Ed hula dancing are hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by livin life;3602984;
    ITA,have been on Reid train all along and will stay on it till the bitter end! I think the final thing for me was when Reid was stammering about the direction of where his feelings are going,,,Jillian says the love,love,love line. I thought that was a woman so excited to be hearing the "possibility" that this is it from her man,,,she knows Reid and she knew he would not say that without it being there,,she will get her words in the finale, IMO her reaction with the love,love love line was super excited!
    CH did say that this season all boils down to the "L" word.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lolanator;3602850;
    Hi JBF,
    I really want to buy into your storyline about Reid and his underdog comeback storyline (cue Rocky music), so I recognized a couple of other random thoughts to add to your initial edit analysis. Sorry, if these were already highlighted by anyone. BTW, I'm one of those people that actually kind of likes Ed and can see why Jillian was into him, rumors aside. I just can't believe the connection, edited as it may be, with Jillian and Reid wasn't based on some real emotion. Reid's story is the only reason I got sucked into this season really. So, here's my humbly added biased points, hope they make sense as a pure novice:

* They've definitely shown Reid expressing his uneasiness with her kissing other guys, being in a competition for her (Spain lunch asking about the other hometown dates, joking about sabotaging the other guys in another scene I think). His neurosis regarding the other guys is probably running rampant. So then they decide to show us the whole fondue discussion, which on the one hand just illustrates one of his "quirks", but I thought it was a funny scene to highlight in light of all of his jealous tendencies. Essentially, if he can't get over mixing raw meat with other meat, than how is he going to get over the fact that Jillian is "mixing" with other men. Sorry, not trying to be crude. Based on what we've seen, I can totally seeing him obsessing over something like this and also it being one of the main reasons for holding back with her. (But I think he did like the fondue in the end, didn't he?)

*Wes was portrayed as a cocky villain type, but also a frontrunner. And on his infamous exit limo ride, he says something like "Who loses to Reid?" Well, maybe scummy guys like Wes do in the end. Another stab at Wes in the end if he really does lose to Reid.

*" She has my heart (Ella me tiene mi corazon)" goes along with the Jillian hand over heart picture at the FRC.

*Jillian said a couple of times to him after asking a tough "what about the future" question, something like "Why don't you think about it and get back to me so we can talk about it later". She seemed keyed into the Reid timetable, so maybe letting him go at F3 was his ultimate "go and think about it" request from her. This is after he sold her on the "If it was meant to be, things will work out" discussion on the fondue date. Maybe he was pretty vocal about his hangups about the whole process, the other guys, it not really being a conducive situation where he could truly open up further with her knowing she might be confused as well. She made the choice best for her at that time, having two great guys who were more vocal about committing. He probably realized this and if they came to this crossroads together, then I could see how they could depart on sort of friendly, open ended terms like it seemed when she said goodbye to him at the limo with muted smiles on their faces.

I just thought I saw something real between them in an unreal situation. As far as the posts about there not being a real love story this season, maybe it started in the last five minutes? Maybe instead of showing up with a rose at the end, Reid shows up with a flower like he put in her hair in Spain? Who knows? Pure guessing on my part. However, I am preparing myself for an ugly finish and really, I just want this show to be over so I can stop obsessing.

Your speculations are as good as mine. No clue what's in store for the finale.

Great observation about "They've definitely shown Reid expressing his uneasiness with her kissing other guys, being in a competition for her" (and I must say the fondue "mixing" and "guy mixing" is NOT something I would have thought of!) Episode #3 really pushed Reid's story line in a multitude of ways. Guess who was the FIRST to comment on her kissing a bunch of guys on the western movie set? That and the "in love one and a half times" line (i.e. his cautious nature) became major themes of the season. (Not only in Spain, but in Hawaii the whole "other dudes" issue was delivered AGAIN.)

Also the whole "neurotic quirk" is just another "obstacle" that sometimes holds him back. It adds to the suspense... will he overcome it in time? Back on the train in ep #6, Jesse and Micheal commented on Reid not being "right" for her... just as the other guys had "doubt" he could succeed with her, we the viewers often question if he'll make it in the end as well. (You can include your Rocky theme here if you like.)

Going back to ep #3, Reid jokingly told Mark and the others that he "doesn't kiss and tell" and somebody joked during the movie showing (which... coincidence? only showed Reid's scene in the footage we saw) that "Hey! You got some!" Obviously, the guys on this show will be blindsighted about Reid's finish as much as doubting viewers. (Also insert your Wes comment here. Funny thing... Ed's name is spotlighted when Wes mentions guys not getting "a nibble" in Texas. Does Wes know something about Ed we don't?)

It is all of these "little things" and the attention the editing crew give them that convince me Reid is the ONLY possible F1 here. I understand that a lot of folks here have been "Fleissed" in the past by the edit, but do we all really think they would go through this much trouble with Reid's story if he wasn't the man Jillian could "easily" see at the end of the aisle?

Bottom line, most viewers think she'll pick Ed anyway and Reid's comeback is only hinted at in one preview so far. Already, the producers are getting what they want: SUSPENSE. They want us to like Reid so that we can root for him and will be happy with the outcome. (I, for one, am convinced he'll succeed.) At the same time, they want us to have enough doubt also... she rejected him once and the F2 Ed/Kip make great competition.

Oh, viewers will be FLOORED by this season all right. There's a reason the lid was kept tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benny Fan;3603074;

Your speculations are as good as mine. No clue what's in store for the finale.

Great observation about "They've definitely shown Reid expressing his uneasiness with her kissing other guys, being in a competition for her" (and I must say the fondue "mixing" and "guy mixing" is NOT something I would have thought of!) Episode #3 really pushed Reid's story line in a multitude of ways. Guess who was the FIRST to comment on her kissing a bunch of guys on the western movie set? That and the "in love one and a half times" line (i.e. his cautious nature) became major themes of the season. (Not only in Spain, but in Hawaii the whole "other dudes" issue was delivered AGAIN.)

Also the whole "neurotic quirk" is just another "obstacle" that sometimes holds him back. It adds to the suspense... will he overcome it in time? Back on the train in ep #6, Jesse and Micheal commented on Reid not being "right" for her... just as the other guys had "doubt" he could succeed with her, we the viewers often question if he'll make it in the end as well. (You can include your Rocky theme here if you like.)

Going back to ep #3, Reid jokingly told Mark and the others that he "doesn't kiss and tell" and somebody joked during the movie showing (which... coincidence? only showed Reid's scene in the footage we saw) that "Hey! You got some!" Obviously, the guys on this show will be blindsighted about Reid's finish as much as doubting viewers. (Also insert your Wes comment here. Funny thing... Ed's name is spotlighted when Wes mentions guys not getting "a nibble" in Texas. Does Wes know something about Ed we don't?)

It is all of these "little things" and the attention the editing crew give them that convince me Reid is the ONLY possible F1 here. I understand that a lot of folks here have been "Fleissed" in the past by the edit, but do we all really think they would go through this much trouble with Reid's story if he wasn't the man Jillian could "easily" see at the end of the aisle?

Bottom line, most viewers think she'll pick Ed anyway and Reid's comeback is only hinted at in one preview so far. Already, the producers are getting what they want: SUSPENSE. They want us to like Reid so that we can root for him and will be happy with the outcome. (I, for one, am convinced he'll succeed.) At the same time, they want us to have enough doubt also... she rejected him once and the F2 Ed/Kip make great competition.

Oh, viewers will be FLOORED by this season all right. There's a reason the lid was kept tight.
    JB- I see what you see, but regarding the bolded part, I would change it to:
    the producers are getting what they want: SUSPENSE. They want us to like Reid so that we can root for him and then be slammed down to the concrete & run over by a few buses.
    I really think with the last minute scrambling change of Ed's edit, that he will be F1.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by BachfanNY;3603103;
    JB- I see what you see, but regarding the bolded part, I would change it to:
    the producers are getting what they want: SUSPENSE. They want us to like Reid so that we can root for him and then be slammed down to the concrete & run over by a few buses.
    I really think with the last minute scrambling change of Ed's edit, that he will be F1.
    I don't see any last minute scrambling change. Ed is in the final 2, so they have to show some positive to keep the suspense going. They showed enough doubts with the drunken / farting clips. If Jillian said bad things about him, wouldn't it kill the suspense? People would think she didn't choose him. Personnally I think the editors want us to believe that both Kip and Ed have a 50/50 chance at winning, so that we will be surprised when Reid comes back and she chooses him.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise;3603116;
    I don't see any last minute scrambling change. Ed is in the final 2, so they have to show some positive to keep the suspense going. They showed enough doubts with the drunken / farting clips. If Jillian said bad things about him, wouldn't it kill the suspense? People would think she didn't choose him. Personnally I think the editors want us to believe that both Kip and Ed have a 50/50 chance at winning, so that we will be surprised when Reid comes back and she chooses him.
    ITA - If anything they may have realized that with their earlier edits the Ed chances were falling way below 50 so they had to even things out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lova;3602898;
    There has certainly been well elaborated storylines for Reid. I'm sure they use focus groups in order to decide which bachelors will continue the pursuit and then they elaborate their stories in interesting ways. But I don't think the producers could predict HOW successful Reid would be with the viewers. I think that Reids storyline was supposed to end with the F3 and he was supposed to learn the hard way as a bittersweet heartwrenching story. The story would make us cry, but we would soon thereafter focus on the F2.

Unfortunately for the producers we thought we experienced something real between Reid and Jill, we get angry for sending him home and there is a risk that a substantial part of the viewers loose interest when he isn't among the F2. Thats why they put him back. They might not even have that much to show us, but they want to make sure that we turn on the tv. Use some old parts and cut and paste. The result might appear strange and cruel. His return is constructed in the last minute and only for the ratings.

The edit has been going on until the last minute. With no real lovestory to go on, I think it has been a nightmare and uncertainty until the very last minute how wrap it up.

I agree. No one really knew who Reid was until their 1:1. His popularity went into high gear in Spain and in Maui. I did find it interesting that after Jillian let him go at F3, Extra put out a survey saying that Jillian needs help - Did you make a mistake and who should she choose. Extra or any other major media have never done this with a F3 before. The stats still show Ed leading, followed by Reid then Kip. I want to say 50-30-20.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGal;3603431;
    I agree. No one really knew who Reid was until their 1:1. His popularity went into high gear in Spain and in Maui. I did find it interesting that after Jillian let him go at F3, Extra put out a survey saying that Jillian needs help - Did you make a mistake and who should she choose. Extra or any other major media have never done this with a F3 before. The stats still show Ed leading, followed by Reid then Kip. I want to say 50-30-20.

Ok, this is my first post...here it goes. I have been lurking here a little during this season, and watched last season, but no lurking back then. It seems to me that Reid's edit seems similar to Molly's. Everyone was sure Jason's F1 was going to be Melissa or Jillian by F4 and then from out of nowhere came Molly. She was the Miss Invisible last season like Reid is Mr. Invisible this season. At least that is what I am hoping, since I am rooting for Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by bballmom2;3603472;
    Ok, this is my first post...here it goes. I have been lurking here a little during this season, and watched last season, but no lurking back then. It seems to me that Reid's edit seems similar to Molly's. Everyone was sure Jason's F1 was going to be Melissa or Jillian by F4 and then from out of nowhere came Molly. She was the Miss Invisible last season like Reid is Mr. Invisible this season. At least that is what I am hoping, since I am rooting for Reid.
    I respectfully disagree about the Reid/Molly similarity. Molly was front and center at the M&G, and was edited from the get go as very competitive and aggressive, and not particularly popular with the other women. She also got an early date rose and a steamy 1 on 1 on the 3rd week. Reid was so under the radar that most average fans were still asking "Reid who?" until his 1 on 1 on week 6. Reid's popularity soared over the last few weeks, due to finally getting some screen time, and an edit that many viewers were really able to connect with.

Although I am now pretty certain that Jill picked Ed, and maybe based on who unedited Jill and unedited Ed are, they really belong together, I do think that the show was ultimately edited to present Reid as the "come out of nowhere" hero, who everyone will be rooting for at the end, only to have the door slammed in his and our faces. Why? Because it's shocking, controversial, and Fleiss thinks that this kind of result is better for ratings than a love story. Also because he's a sadistic bastard and I actually think he gets off on screwing over the poor romantic viewer.