Thread: Edit Analysis

Re: Edit Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl;3529764;
    I guess I just have found it to be a rude season overall - even here on FORT. Yes, we do get snarky - but there have been some over-the-top rudeness - especially towards Wes. It has just seemed to me that it's been acceptable IF it were directed at Wes, but let it be someone else...then it's not? JMO.

I know everyone has their favorites and defends them to the death - but it has been "different" this season. Of course I'm sure Fleiss loves it. The edit is horrible this season and it's coming out in how we post, I think
    Hahaha, I don't think this season is any "ruder" than others. Maybe just cause you are pulling for the "villian" this time around . I don't have favorites, but I generally try to stick to threads that still contain sleuthing. I like all of the F3, and I have even taken up for Wes several times when I felt people were being unnecessarily mean. Yes, we have some that like to stir the pot and get a little carried away, but if it gets to you then you can always use the ignore feature and choose not to see certain posters.

People tend to discount the extreme duress that some of these statements are made under. The environment that TPTB creates is hostile. They bring in all this testosterone, give them "a prize" to compete for, booze them up, and then encourage them to badmouth other guys, while letting them have no other entertainment. And no doubt cliques were formed and different personalty types clashed, but that just goes with the territory.

Unfortunately, the edit also creates hostility. They show and exaggerate flaws that the person has and plays it to a comical level. They can't have 25 perfect guys walking around, look at how many people jump on Jake...can you imagine all 25 getting the same edit? Do I believe Wes is evil? Nope. Do I believe that all Kip can do is kiss? Nope. Do I believe that Michael always jumps up and down like a teenage girl? Well, maybe on that one . Nor do I believe that washing your fruits and veggies, or not enjoying the idea of fondue makes your neurotic. Yes, Reid used the word to describe himself but some people have taken it and twisted it into a handicap that should make Jillian run.

I look at the edit and more and more they try to create extremities and drama in order to draw in viewers. I keep reminding people that if they want a nice sweet lovestory they should probably go out and rent a movie instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyrk;3529807;
    I agree. I think Kip's other challenge is he's a "heartbreaker".
    OOps - yup - I forgot to include that - thank you
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by xseannax;3529809;
    Hahaha, I don't think this season is any "ruder" than others. Maybe just cause you are pulling for the "villian" this time around . I don't have favorites, but I generally try to stick to threads that still contain sleuthing. I like all of the F3, and I have even taken up for Wes several times when I felt people were being unnecessarily mean. Yes, we have some that like to stir the pot and get a little carried away, but if it gets to you then you can always use the ignore feature and choose not to see certain posters.

People tend to discount the extreme duress that some of these statements are made under. The environment that TPTB creates is hostile. They bring in all this testosterone, give them "a prize" to compete for, booze them up, and then encourage them to badmouth other guys, while letting them have no other entertainment. And no doubt cliques were formed and different personalty types clashed, but that just goes with the territory.

Unfortunately, the edit also creates hostility. They show and exaggerate flaws that the person has and plays it to a comical level. They can't have 25 perfect guys walking around, look at how many people jump on Jake...can you imagine all 25 getting the same edit? Do I believe Wes is evil? Nope. Do I believe that all Kip can do is kiss? Nope. Do I believe that Michael always jumps up and down like a teenage girl? Well, maybe on that one . Nor do I believe that washing your fruits and veggies, or not enjoying the idea of fondue makes your neurotic. Yes, Reid used the word to describe himself but some people have taken it and twisted it into a handicap that should make Jillian run.

I look at the edit and more and more they try to create extremities and drama in order to draw in viewers. I keep reminding people that if they want a nice sweet lovestory they should probably go out and rent a movie instead.
    Well said - and thank you - TPTB have to creat story lines for each character and the drama to pull the story along. I remember Amanda and the meeps - it was certainly not a handicap - but it was brought to the forefront to make it seem so - and the same with Reid this season.
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyCupCanes;3529789;
    The thing about the Reid edit that confuses me is why the editors put so much focus on the "neurotic" stuff when it seems to me his bigger issue to overcome is going to be that he is one who hesitates to take chances or lay it all on the line. I say this based on his talk with the conductor and next week we hear his Dad address it. Plus, we've heard it in a Reid VO for the upcoming previews.

The neurotic/hyper commentary by the guys and on the date seemed to have a negative slant - I personally didn't take it that way but have read a lot of commentary suggesting that is how it came across - more negative than positive.

Why was it necessary for them to include it? It reminded me a little of the "Coach" segments on Survivor this past season where the editors obviously loved his shtick but at the same time were making fun of him.
    Not disagreeing here. Just adding more insight...

Actually, Reid was the first to use the word "neurotic", when he questioned about his upcoming date with the train staff. The word was repeated by Tanner, who still felt he'd have a good time on his date and come back with a rose. Chris Harrison used the word in his blog, but mentioned in a positive light (at least that is the way I took it). Some posters think the producers don't like Reid. I don't get that vibe at all, although there is a definite attempt to keep him out of the general viewers' radar. (WesJake drama will keep them distracted for a little while.)

I may be one of the few who sees it this way, but I think the Jesse/Micheal conversations were shown mostly to cast doubt on the success of Reid's 1 on 1. (It's the trademark Reality TV "surprise" edit... just like everybody being confident they will get a rose and not getting one, etc. Using "Survivor" as an example, many had opinions about JT since he was a guy of few words. He got a "full house" vote in the end.) Jesse didn't say he hated Reid, but obviously got annoyed by his curious questioning and "fussiness". Also, everybody on this show has claimed that "others" were bad matches for THEIR Jillian. Jake had a mouthful to say when he left.

This only made the Reid/Jillian date funnier. His comments on dirty veggies were an obvious turn on for her, although a conversation like that would have obviously driven Jesse off the train tracks. ("If we start hanging out, I just won't eat your vegetables." "Oh yes you will!")

Actually, all of the guys are annoyed with each other on this show. Tanner said in his interview that there was no privacy (and no TV, computers or other forms of "escape") and the bunkhouse had outdoor showers. (This also gives added meaning to Ed's "I hate these guys" statement... )

Obviously, not all viewers and even FORTers like Reid's personality. However, I think he's had a very positive edit so far. He's the only contestant to get the all-important line dished to him: "You don't want to regret it. If she's the one, you'll never forget her and you'll always think that you should have told her how you felt." Viewers are supposed to start rooting for him as a viable alternative to established heartthrob Kiptyn and "unfinished business" returnee Ed.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3529738;
    ABC would never give up the right to control the edit and the "creative content" of the show---no matter how long someone negotiated their contract.
    Amen to that.

Any contract between the parties can contain ANY kind of provision as long as it is enforceable and legal.

(Unenforceable would be --for example--contracting that someone could NOT think certain thoughts. There's no way to enforce such a provision.

Illegal would be anything against the law--like contracting to commit violence against someone or contracting to steal something.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benny Fan;3529829;
    Not disagreeing here. Just adding more insight...

Actually, Reid was the first to use the word "neurotic", when he questioned about his upcoming date with the train staff. The word was repeated by Tanner, who still felt he'd have a good time on his date and come back with a rose. Chris Harrison used the word in his blog, but mentioned in a positive light (at least that is the way I took it). Some posters think the producers don't like Reid. I don't get that vibe at all, although there is a definite attempt to keep him out of the general viewers' radar. (WesJake drama will keep them distracted for a little while.)

I may be one of the few who sees it this way, but I think the Jesse/Micheal conversations were shown mostly to cast doubt on the success of Reid's 1 on 1. (It's the trademark Reality TV "surprise" edit... just like everybody being confident they will get a rose and not getting one, etc. Using "Survivor" as an example, many had opinions about JT since he was a guy of few words. He got a "full house" vote in the end.) Jesse didn't say he hated Reid, but obviously got annoyed by his curious questioning and "fussiness". Also, everybody on this show has claimed that "others" were bad matches for THEIR Jillian. Jake had a mouthful to say when he left.

This only made the Reid/Jillian date funnier. His comments on dirty veggies were an obvious turn on for her, although a conversation like that would have obviously driven Jesse off the train tracks. ("If we start hanging out, I just won't eat your vegetables." "Oh yes you will!")

Actually, all of the guys are annoyed with each other on this show. Tanner said in his interview that there was no privacy (and no TV, computers or other forms of "escape") and the bunkhouse had outdoor showers. (This also gives added meaning to Ed's "I hate these guys" statement... )

Obviously, not all viewers and even FORTers like Reid's personality. However, I think he's had a very positive edit so far. He's the only contestant to get the all-important line dished to him: "You don't want to regret it. If she's the one, you'll never forget her and you'll always think that you should have told her how you felt." Viewers are supposed to start rooting for him as a viable alternative to established heartthrob Kiptyn and "unfinished business" returnee Ed.
    JACK BENNY - thank you for your wonderful insight on this subject - a very well written post - all points covered and well explained.

There is no indication that TPTB dislike any of the F3 guys - they have used what was given them for all of the F6 - and have followed their story lines quite convincingly to the general public.
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

I think too much is being made of Reid and others on the show using the term "neurotic" to describe him. It is not a clinical diagnosis of him, and doesn't guarantee that he has some serious personality "flaw". I often refer to myself as being neurotic or having neurotic tendencies, as I'm sure others do about themselves as well, but it's mostly meant in a joking manner. The producers clearly included the comments because this is meant to be part of Reid's edit; prior to this episode he didn't really have one, and since he is the the F3, he needs a storyline, so unfortunately, this is the best they came up with.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3529845;
    I think too much is being made of Reid and others on the show using the term "neurotic" to describe him. It is not a clinical diagnosis of him, and doesn't guarantee that he has some serious personality "flaw". I often refer to myself as being neurotic or having neurotic tendencies, as I'm sure others do about themselves as well, but it's mostly meant in a joking manner. The producers clearly included the comments because this is meant to be part of Reid's edit; prior to this episode he didn't really have one, and since he is the the F3, he needs a storyline, so unfortunately, this is the best they came up with.
    Sign me up for the Neurosis Club as well. I've watched that silly 1 on 1 with fondue a few times and still keep laughing. I can only imagine other Woody Allen moments between these two that await an AFR or MTA show...

We've seen Jillian market shop with Kiptyn. Oh boy, would I love to see a Reid/Jillian grocery trip! I don't think the microphone man could keep up...

Thanks for the compliment, Capegal!

Quote Originally Posted by sanlee;3529793;
    Maybe Reid is the F3 guy and like Amanda, they chose to show his little quirk like they did with Amanda's meeps. It's endearing.
    I've thought Reid was the f3 for a while because his edit fits so perhaps you're right, Sanlee. I thought Amanda's meeps were funny and she was my favorite.

Here's something to analyze. I wonder why the new season ending preview that first aired on 6/15 was different from the one that aired 6/22?

The most noticeable voice overs that were deleted were CH talking about the problem in the bedroom and Reid saying he felt like he failed. Hmmmmm

Was it the ABC upper brass or Jillian or Reid who got Fleiss to remove that part? Or was is just a matter of cutting it down so they could add the new scenes at the end? But still, why was the most controversial part deleted?

Original new preview changes between 6/15 ep5 and 6/22 ep6.

Red are deleted voice overs and scenes and blue are inserted.

Jillian - "I have a lot on my mind. And now overnight dates start happening."

deleted scene of Jillian kissing Michael outside the garage on HTD

Wes - "You wanna spend the night in the fantasy suite."

Reid - "Obviously I would love to spend the night there and wake up with her in the morning."

deleted scene of Jillian kissing Jesse on couch

deleted CH - "It's every guys' worst nightmare."

Jillian - "My fantasy suite date was not exactly how both of us had planned."

deleted exterior scene of lights turning on in a hotel window

deleted CH - "When one of the bachelors experiences a certain problem in the bedroom."

deleted Reid - "I feel like I failed. My fears got in the way of the moment."

Jillian - "Why? That one person, that everything was there, that I couldn't wait to be with in this setting. The romance, just wasn't there."

deleted scene of walking with Kiptyn in front of the Cibeles Fountain in Madrid

insterted sunset scene of mountains and surf in Hawaii

CH - "I guess this overwhelming pressure has really affected the physical intimacy of your relationship."

deleted Jillian - "I wish so bad that I had time to know for sure." {sniffle} while standing outside ORIGINAL END

insterted Jillian - "Do I take a gamble that after all this pressure is off that it'll be fine" while sitting inside with CH

inserted Jillian - "I'm scared to take that gamble." while walking outside - SEGUE INTO NEW PREVIEW SCENES