Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by KashatheDiva;3479356;
    One of the things I "fell upon" during actual filming was a comment from a production person indicating they had used an entire can of hairspray for one session.
    Well, if this is what they're doing with Jillian, they should switch brands because I thought her hair looked terrible! Loved the dress though, and it fit her well.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KashatheDiva;3479369;
    Nah you forgot the drama factor. He will probably be dropped off in a bad part of town with his thumb sticking out to hitch a ride. Or like in the Amazing Race take all his money from him, take all his clothes except for what he is wearing and make him do the "U turn" before he can go.
    I thought of the hitch-hiking, but I know that here in Alabama hitch-hiking is against the state law, so I didn't suggest it. Someone else suggested the next step before walking would be a bike! That makes sense as well. That would be so degrading.....

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;3479279;
    I'm liking Kipton, then Ed .... but just can't get into Reid. I find him effeminate for some reason. Not sure what it is, but from the first night, I just haven't found him to be very manly... for lack of a better word
    Even after 6 hours of show they haven't managed to give us a ton of footage showing significant stuff about these guys. Ed we've seen the most of due to last night's 1-1 date, but honestly we still haven't see much with him other than that Jillian seems to like him and he can't make eye contact---they didn't seem to have a whole lot to say to each other and he couldn't even come up with one question to ask her about herself (except wanting to know if he was getting the rose---which is not about her, it's about him---not a good sign IMO). Reid has still gotten insanely little airtime, and most of it has been his little sound bites about this and that, not interaction time with Jillian, so it's really hard to say what's up there. For me, personally, I don't find Reid to be at all effeminate---I think given the opportunity he is probably pretty suave and polished. Although he also asked about a rose during his alone time his question was about why he DIDN'T get one during the group date----while I'm not sure that was the wisest question to ask during his limited time with Jillian it didn't rub me the wrong way like Ed's question had. Ed's question was all about him and had nothing to do with Jillian. Reid's question, to me, seemed to be about what he had done wrong or what Jillian was looking for but hadn't seen---it seemed less ego-centric and more like he was understandably insecure and trying to get his bearings. Since Kip appears, at this point, to be getting the totally physical edit, I am wondering if he will actually be in the Final 2. If he stays til the Final 2 then the showdown will be the physical edit vs the other guy. If he goes at F3 then they will take the "he's never been heartbroken, until now (dun...dun...dunnnnnn)" approach so that he falls into the likable F3 category they are so fond of giving us. IF it is a Reid/Ed Final 2 then I think we will see Ed as "big hunky Ed" as Jillian kept calling him, and he will get the manly man edit, with Jillian attracted but perhaps unsure if he can fit her into his life, and Reid will get the sensitive, funny friend with chemistry edit, but she may wonder if she wants the hunky guy so she can feel protected as "little Jillian". If she sticks with what she said all last season and so far this season (I'm looking for someone who can make me laugh and be my BEST FRIEND) then I think she'll choose Reid----however, if she changes the list regarding what she wants, as so many of the primaries do, then I think she could wind up with Ed. All this to say the "effeminate" vibe you got watching the episode was probably planted intentionally to contrast read from the man Jillian dubbed "big hunky Ed". JMO, as always.
    Last edited by cheekychook; 06-02-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one." - Einstein

Karen Stivali - author and very cheeky chook

Quote Originally Posted by chopstickchick;3479335;
    we know she chooses someone (doesn't mean she's engaged, but did pick someone) as per the TV guide interview

is it posted in the media thread - I'd like to read it.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3479383;
    I thought of the hitch-hiking, but I know that here in Alabama hitch-hiking is against the state law, so I didn't suggest it. Someone else suggested the next step before walking would be a bike! That makes sense as well. That would be so degrading.....

Bloomers, this really bothered you a lot.. Imagine biking in summer in Arizona or anywhere in the deep south, no one is going to be handing out water bottles for the poor guy. It's also a question of how far the airport can be from where he is dropped off. If it's in LA maybe the guy will have to imagine he is riding in Tour de France to forget the hurt and humiliation of the rejection

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3479384;
    Even after 6 hours of show they haven't managed to give us a ton of footage showing significant stuff about these guys. Ed we've seen the most of due to last night's 1-1 date, but honestly we still haven't see much with him other than that Jillian seems to like him and he can't make eye contact---they didn't seem to have a whole lot to say to each other and he couldn't even come up with one question to ask her about herself (except wanting to know if he was getting the rose---which is not about her, it's about him---not a good sign IMO). Reid has still gotten insanely little airtime, and most of it has been his little sound bites about this and that, not interaction time with Jillian, so it's really hard to say what's up there. For me, personally, I don't find Reid to be at all effeminate---I think given the opportunity he is probably pretty suave and polished. Although he also asked about a rose during his alone time his question was about why he DIDN'T get one during the group date----while I'm not sure that was the wisest question to ask during his limited time with Jillian it didn't rub me the wrong way like Ed's question had. Ed's question was all about him and had nothing to do with Jillian. Reid's question, to me, seemed to be about what he had done wrong or what Jillian was looking for but hadn't seen---it seemed less ego-centric and more like he was understandably insecure and trying to get his bearings. Since Kip appears, at this point, to be getting the totally physical edit, I am wondering if he will actually be in the Final 2. If he stays til the Final 2 then the showdown will be the physical edit vs the other guy. If he goes at F3 then they will take the "he's never been heartbroken, until now (dun...dun...dunnnnnn)" approach so that he falls into the likable F3 category they are so fond of giving us. IF it is a Reid/Ed Final 2 then I think we will see Ed as "big hunky Ed" as Jillian kept calling him, and he will get the manly man edit, with Jillian attracted but perhaps unsure if he can fit her into his life, and Reid will get the sensitive, funny friend with chemistry edit, but she may wonder if she wants the hunky guy so she can feel protected as "little Jillian". If she sticks with what she said all last season and so far this season (I'm looking for someone who can make me laugh and be my BEST FRIEND) then I think she'll choose Reid----however, if she changes the list regarding what she wants, as so many of the primaries do, then I think she could wind up with Ed. All this to say the "effeminate" vibe you got watching the episode was probably planted intentionally to contrast read from the man Jillian dubbed "big hunky Ed". JMO, as always.
    Good take on what's gone on so far with f3 guys. Kip has shifty eyes at time when he talks to her, Reid looks her in the eye and they see to have a lot of nonverbal stuff going on, smiling as if they have something they are not telling and Ed's lack of eye contact for an American makes one wonder what's going on. In some cultures looking in the eye is considered aggressive and rude.

Ed - workaholic
    Kip - heartbreaker
    Reid - friend? , the guy who has to hang in there and be frustrated about the 5 minute moments he gets with her instead of a date

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;3479474;
    Bloomers, this really bothered you a lot.. Imagine biking in summer in Arizona or anywhere in the deep south, no one is going to be handing out water bottles for the poor guy. It's also a question of how far the airport can be from where he is dropped off. If it's in LA maybe the guy will have to imagine he is riding in Tour de France to forget the hurt and humiliation of the rejection
    Does anybody really think that Sasha rode the city bus all the way to LAX? I assumed that the whole thing is staged, and after they get the shoot, he is interviewed and sent to the airport in a limo the same way all the rest are. I admit that watching one of them being given a bicycle and a map would be pretty funny, though.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3479397;
    is it posted in the media thread - I'd like to read it.
    there is discussion of the content of importance on the media thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3479375;
    Well, if this is what they're doing with Jillian, they should switch brands because I thought her hair looked terrible! Loved the dress though, and it fit her well.
    THE HAIR... probably OT but I keep thinking must be a TB admission criteria requiring 99% b'ettes have long, stringy, and usually messy hair.......
    I was thinking how a wavy, sleek short cut (a la Meg Ryan) could suit Jillian's personality .... it would be so unique and out of the mould... like she is... thoughts, anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;3479488;
    Good take on what's gone on so far with f3 guys. Kip has shifty eyes at time when he talks to her, Reid looks her in the eye and they see to have a lot of nonverbal stuff going on, smiling as if they have something they are not telling and Ed's lack of eye contact for an American makes one wonder what's going on. In some cultures looking in the eye is considered aggressive and rude.

Ed - workaholic
    Kip - heartbreaker
    Reid - friend? , the guy who has to hang in there and be frustrated about the 5 minute moments he gets with her instead of a date
    I agree with your descriptions. While I like Kip, we know so little about him because he never says anything and is a bit too physical with Jillian. Ed seems like a great guy, a little unsure of this process and what he really wants. I do like his sense of humor - remarking that he wasn't even sure if the zipline thing they were doing "was legal". And I liked that he stood up for Juan.

But Reid is turning out to be my favorite. He seems solid, laid back, and confident. He also has a nice sense of humor. I love the one-liners that we see and Jillian and his first kiss was "soft and sweet". Perfect for an F1.

What happened to Jesse? He is the most invisible of all of them - how far is he supposed to make it? Mike is invisible as well, but doesn't he go home next week?