Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by NYGal;3543005;
    Chicago is not Ed's hometown. He is originally from Michigan and if I am not mistaken, his parents still live there.
    I think you're right about that. It's usual that they go to a parent's house and we know Ed's mom watches the show and wanted him to go on it so probably would have loved a hometown visit to her house. I really think them showing Ed talking about that is foreshadowing that they were planning on bringing them to Hawaii or already had.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sanlee;3543007;
    But wouldn't it be funny if his parents showed up in Hawaii to meet her like some rumors suggest? Maybe that's the surprise he has for her on their Fantasy Date?
    If Jill meets his parents during their FD, it will take away time that Jill and Ed could use to know each other better, time that she will have with the others. Another downfall of not having a HTD.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalbc;3542421;
    It makes a big difference..........with having visits at the family's house, you get to see more of the family dynamics that can be so important.........having it in the bachelor's home, you get to see the dynamics of that bachelor's daily life...................

When you have it in Hawaii in this case, there is just an empty setting so to speak and it will be very hard to understand all the dynamics that might be involved.
    There have been countless HTD that did not take place in the family's home. Jenni's HTD with Brad took place in the grandma's beauty salon. Melissa had hers at her friends. Amber's took place in her apartment, her parents refused to be a part of it and her aunt showed up for a brief time. Shayne's was divided up between her two parents with dad's portion in a restaurant.
    A dr. asked me: Does anyone in your family suffer from mental illness? My answer: No they all enjoy it immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by albean99;3543016;
    It's usual that they go to a parent's house and we know Ed's mom watches the show and wanted him to go on it so probably would have loved a hometown visit to her house.
    Ed's mom and sister signed him up for the show, so, I am sure they would have been tickled pink to get a hometown visit. Seems to me if he had a serious girlfriend, they would have known about it. Please note that I said serious.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3543011;
    Why is it suspect? And how do we know he didn't ask the producers for extra time for an HTD and they just couldn't fit it in? WE DON'T KNOW And you act like taking a whole camera crew, getting permissions from shooting locations, getting family together, etc, is something that coudl just happen immediately, I am pretty sure it's not that easy. .

And the idea that he would turn his life upside down and possibly jeopardize his job for a super-structured trip to Spain where he can't even sight-see is just ludicrous.
    This is how my skeptical mind thinks - Any guy who can talk himself in and out of a show to suit his life could have found a way to have a HTD before that RC in LA. To take it one step further, if he spoke to Jillian off camera before they filmed his return to the show and it mattered to him that much why didn't he fly his family down to LA and have them meet Jillian there before the RC? It's just a day or two off since she finished her HTD so getting his family to meet her last minute would not be impossible had he wanted to do it. If he really mattered to him at that point he would have made it happen.

I would even venture to say that if he was really into Jillian having spent three days with her in the house after 1-1 date, he should have known that family was important to her. So why wouldn't he try to make that happen ion his return to even his playing field to show her he was serious and paid attention to the things that mattered to her. Why didn't it happen? Was it bec' it didn't fit the script?

I will question this scenario who ever the guy, in this case it just happened to be a guy named Ed. Unless I see reasons that makes sense I will continue my skeptical questioning of this situation. Hopefully the Spain date will go beyond the "I couldn't get you out of my mind, I was thinking about you" stage and he will show some real interest in her beyond the bored and distracted looks. JMO!

FORT Fanatic

Ed is going on 30 he went to college (Michigan State) in Lansing, Mi for 4 yrs. (I think). He has been working in Chicago for maybe another 6-7 yrs. His parents live in Dundee, MI and Monroe, MI. Don't know if he was raised by both parents or in joint custody.

So for the past 10 years he has not been living at home, but approx. 200 miles away in another city. Meeting both his parents whether in Hawaii or anywhere else still would give a clear picture of what they are like.
    Ed has not been home for a long time..so what difference where the location is...its how she senses what his parents are all about and their discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3542943;
    I have a problem with the F2 guys not meeting Jillian's family on their "home turf". I had a problem with Jason's family meeting the F2 women at an exotic location to. If this show wants to have any "real"ness to it then they should follow the same guidelines they have in past seasons. The show is getting as far from real as it possibly can now and I for one will not be surprised to see the ratings go down the tube because of it.
    Meredith/Ian met at Uncle's house not parents,,did not meet Ian's parents
    Byron/tonya and Mary brought their parents to Byron mansion of bach,,Bryron parents divorced
    Prince whoever,,,met both parents at same time
    on and on, this is not unusual to the show and if Jillian did not meet the parents of the chosen one then that is her decision whether to proceed forward and she has done just that the show is over and she is extremely happy.
    Jason parents were at the mother home by the way not in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by stickle;3543013;
    But the viewers DON'T see real life in the HTDs. They see edited snippets that are often quite different from reality.

I remember Meredith talking about this. On Blob's season, she got a HTD and for some reason, TPTB wanted to show it as not having gone terribly well. They portrayed her father as standoffish and a bit of a buffoon and the rest of her family as a little difficult. When she had her own season and took the last two guys home to meet them, it was like a completely different family - warm, loving, fun and very open and accepting. The latter scenario was, of course, a much more true portrayal of what they were really like.

My point is, if the viewers are counting on getting a true picture of the guy's life or the family's life, they shouldn't expect to get it from an edited 10 minute snippet. Even if Jillian gets to meet Ed's family in Hawaii, we're going to get a distorted view of what actually went on just as we would have if the meeting had happened in Chicago or in either of the two towns in Michigan where his parents live. Just as the HT dates of the five guys we saw were distorted and skewed.
    Exactly! So what difference does it make where she meets the parents! In Ed's case I hope Jillian does meet his parents in Hawaii to help him catch up with Reid and Kip. Jillian has made a point of saying she needs to meet the family, I don't think she cares where.

Like I have said upthread, if I were the parent, I would opt for the trip to Hawaii rather than have my home invaded by a Reality TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3542973;
    What is realistic about a person dating 30 peoople at once and then having problems if one of them had a few dates back home? Whats realistic about anything on this show. What is realistic about meeting the families after 1 alone date (with cameramen and crew) and a few dates with 3-10 other people. Nothing about this show is realistic, so why should the HTD or Meet the parents be any different?
    Absolutely agree with you 100%, very well stated and nothing about the show is realistic it is drama 101.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3543050;
    Exactly! So what difference does it make where she meets the parents! In Ed's case I hope Jillian does meet his parents in Hawaii to help him catch up with Reid and Kip. Jillian has made a point of saying she needs to meet the family, I don't think she cares where.

Like I have said upthread, if I were the parent, I would opt for the trip to Hawaii rather than have my home invaded by a Reality TV show.
    Heck yeah! It's not even a question--clean my house and move furniture around so a camera crew can fit in and then stage some lame scenario where we act like we have a jam session or that we do wine tasting so it will look neat on camera? Or pack my bags and fly to Hawaii so I can do the important thing--meet the girl--without having to plan or stress about anything? Hmmm, tough, tough decision....

Reid's family was lucky--it was his birthday so they could film birthday festivities instead of swing dancing or something else goofy!