Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542987;
    These are your exact words. I put nothing into your mouth.
    Yes, I said past seasons. I did not say do it exactly in every season. There are cases where a HTD may not be a viable option for meeting the family. For example, a divorced set of parents. My parents are divorced and putting them in the same room together is like setting a bomb and waiting for it to explode. However, I would expect for at least ONE of them to invite the person their son/daughter is interested in into their home. I stand by my saying that this show is as unREAL of a "reality" show as they get.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGal;3542823;
    HI...do you remember the call that Jason made to Melissa's mom in NZ? that call was fake...Jason was speaking on the phone. Melissa's mom was not on the other end. This was discussed during DWTS posting. I also bet that the Jake call to Tanner was fake too.

The best scenario for Jillian is to meet Ed and his parents in a real home life setting just like she did with Kip and Reid's family. It is too bad that Ed missed out on this. If he was really into Jillian, he should have convinced the producers to get him a HTD just like he begged to get back timely for the RC.
    Well said! I think the timing of his return to the show just in time after all the HTD is very suspect. The question this skeptical poster(ME) would like to ask is why didn't they give Ed a HTD in Chitown? Did Ed want to avoid the family visit bec' his parents are not on the best of terms? Did Ed not want to be seen in Chitown with a cameraman following him in the city? Did he not want people he knew to recognize him given the "rumors" floating around for a while now?

If they could give Jillian a week for the FRC, an afternoon in Chitown would not be a big deal. It's one of the busiest airports and they could have got out to meet the guys at RC in LA. It's not like they were going overseas.

My opinion is that Ed's leaving and return had a few perks attached to it. Even successful people like freebies. He gets two trips - Spain and Hawaii and his parents maybe even his sister get to travel to Hawaii courtesy of the network. This may also be a ploy to convince the viewer that his family flew down to HI to meet her bec' things were getting serious between Ed and Jillian (probably not!). Then they can yank the rug from under his feet at f3. Let's not forget f3 RC is always a bit of a shocker every season - by that I mean the drama is heading to the peak with only FRC to go.

Ed's role is so scripted that to me it's as plain as the nose on a face.
    Last edited by seeker; 07-04-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;3542998;
    Well said! I think the timing of his return to the show just in time after all her dates is very suspect. The question this skeptical poster(ME) would like to ask is why didn't they give Ed a HTD in Chitown? Did Ed want to avoid the family visit bec' his parents are not on the best of terms? Did Ed not want to be seen in Chitown with even a cameraman following him in the city? Did people he know recognize him given the "rumors" floating around for a while now.
    If they could give Jillian a week for the FRC, an afternoon in Chitown would not be a big deal. It's one of the busiest airports and they could have got out to meet the RC in LA. It's not like going overseas.

My opinion is that Ed's leaving and return had a few perks attached to it. Even successful people like freebies. He gets two trips - Spain and Hawaii and his parents maybe even his sister get to travel to Hawaii courtesy of the network. This may also be a ploy to convince the viewer that his family flew down to HI to meet her bec' things were getting serious between Ed and Jillian (probably not!). Then they can yank the rug from under his feet at f3. Let's not forget f3 RC is always a bit of a shocker every season - by that I mean the drama is heading to the peak with only FRC to go.
    per the bolded ~ Based on what we have heard from numerous people now Ed would be better off not having a HTD in Chicago. I can only imagine what kind of fireworks would have happened if one of the women found out where he was and showed up. I am surprised that Fleiss did not make Ed do a HTD just for the drama aspect of it all. I guess Fleiss had enough drama with his original whipping boy (Wes) so Ed was cleared of getting any of it.

Well said! I think the timing of his return to the show just in time after all her dates is very suspect. The question this skeptical poster(ME) would like to ask is why didn't they give Ed a HTD in Chitown? Did Ed want to avoid the family visit bec' his parents are not on the best of terms? Did Ed not want to be seen in Chitown with even a cameraman following him in the city? Did people he know recognize him given the "rumors" floating around for a while now.
    Chicago is not Ed's hometown. He is originally from Michigan and if I am not mistaken, his parents still live there.

Well said! I think the timing of his return to the show just in time after all the HTD is very suspect. The question this skeptical poster(ME) would like to ask is why didn't they give Ed a HTD in Chitown? Did Ed want to avoid the family visit bec' his parents are not on the best of terms? Did Ed not want to be seen in Chitown with a cameraman following him in the city? Did he not want people he knew to recognize him given the "rumors" floating around for a while now?

If they could give Jillian a week for the FRC, an afternoon in Chitown would not be a big deal. It's one of the busiest airports and they could have got out to meet the guys at RC in LA. It's not like they were going overseas.

But wouldn't it be funny if his parents showed up in Hawaii to meet her like some rumors suggest? Maybe that's the surprise he has for her on their Fantasy Date?

Quote Originally Posted by sanlee;3543007;
    But wouldn't it be funny if his parents showed up in Hawaii to meet her like some rumors suggest? Maybe that's the surprise he has for her on their Fantasy Date?
    I don't know if funny would be the word.Especially if he got sent home at F3.It would be like okay let's bring your parents to HI and then you'll be heartbroken a day later when Jilly chooses another guy over you.
    "I need to stop talking about shoes before I get tabbed to judge some gay fashion show, or get a call from Tanner to hang out." sdl

FORT Fan

Why is it suspect? And how do we know he didn't ask the producers for extra time for an HTD and they just couldn't fit it in? WE DON'T KNOW And you act like taking a whole camera crew, getting permissions from shooting locations, getting family together, etc, is something that coudl just happen immediately, I am pretty sure it's not that easy. .

And the idea that he would turn his life upside down and possibly jeopardize his job for a super-structured trip to Spain where he can't even sight-see is just ludicrous.
    Last edited by kygirl93; 07-04-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by sanlee;3543007;
    Can you imagine going on a Fantasy Date with your parents in tow? I hope he waits until after the date to spring the surprise on her!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3542984;
    But to view both sides of the argument, a lot of viewers want to see the "real life" HTD visits because that makes the show more "real" and or more believable for them.
    But the viewers DON'T see real life in the HTDs. They see edited snippets that are often quite different from reality.

I remember Meredith talking about this. On Blob's season, she got a HTD and for some reason, TPTB wanted to show it as not having gone terribly well. They portrayed her father as standoffish and a bit of a buffoon and the rest of her family as a little difficult. When she had her own season and took the last two guys home to meet them, it was like a completely different family - warm, loving, fun and very open and accepting. The latter scenario was, of course, a much more true portrayal of what they were really like.

My point is, if the viewers are counting on getting a true picture of the guy's life or the family's life, they shouldn't expect to get it from an edited 10 minute snippet. Even if Jillian gets to meet Ed's family in Hawaii, we're going to get a distorted view of what actually went on just as we would have if the meeting had happened in Chicago or in either of the two towns in Michigan where his parents live. Just as the HT dates of the five guys we saw were distorted and skewed.
    Last edited by stickle; 07-04-2009 at 04:30 PM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3543001;
    per the bolded ~ Based on what we have heard from numerous people now Ed would be better off not having a HTD in Chicago. I can only imagine what kind of fireworks would have happened if one of the women found out where he was and showed up. I am surprised that Fleiss did not make Ed do a HTD just for the drama aspect of it all. I guess Fleiss had enough drama with his original whipping boy (Wes) so Ed was cleared of getting any of it.
    It wouldn't have mattered because his parents don't live in Chicago...