Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

  1. #5071
    FORT Fanatic moflan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philly Burbs
    Posts
    708

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3542957;
    I'm not sure they've done away with it totally. It wasn't done in Jason's season because they had already shot in Seattle, and logistically, New Zealand was too far away to traipse back to the states. Plus, I bet Jason negotiated for his family to get a free trip to NZ out of the deal. This season, again, they have already visited Canada quite extensively, so no need to go back there. However, Deanna made a very big deal of bringing the guys to meet her "big fat Greek family" in GA, so they did go there. We have to keep in mind it has nothing to do with what is better for the success of a relationship, but what makes for a more interesting story.
    It's probably also more difficult to keep the neighbors of the "star's" parents to keep quiet about who/what they have seen going on during filming. I don't imagine neighbors have to sign gag orders before filming occurs and with cell phone cameras and social networking spreading news and rumor like wildfire, it's probably easier to have the meeting happen on neutral territory where security can be more easily controlled.

  2. #5072
    Lovely Lilly! StanleyCupCanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,990

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    It would be interesting to know how much weight the "family" factors in on either side. While I do think it's important, is it really a deal breaker?

    Take Kip's family for example. Someone posted upthread that their wealth and refinement is going to be a reason that he's rejected in the end. If so, it's interesting to me that the gal who loved to see the guys out of their comfort zone is unwilling to meet the same challenge herself.

    This one hits home for me because I married someone completely different in social status, culture, geography and I think about the 20 wonderful years I would have missed if I had been gunshy because his background and family was so much different than mine.

  3. #5073
    FORT Fogey sueb1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Starshine_16;3542954;
    Meeting the parents at an exotic location is not reality(granted neither is this show),and I too wish that they would go back meeting Bachelor/ette's family at their home.It would be more realistic(well as realistic as this heavily scripted show can get)
    What is realistic about a person dating 30 peoople at once and then having problems if one of them had a few dates back home? Whats realistic about anything on this show. What is realistic about meeting the families after 1 alone date (with cameramen and crew) and a few dates with 3-10 other people. Nothing about this show is realistic, so why should the HTD or Meet the parents be any different?

  4. #5074
    FORT Fogey Starshine_16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,438

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3542973;
    What is realistic about a person dating 30 peoople at once and then having problems if one of them had a few dates back home? Whats realistic about anything on this show. What is realistic about meeting the families after 1 alone date (with cameramen and crew) and a few dates with 3-10 other people. Nothing about this show is realistic, so why should the HTD or Meet the parents be any different?
    I didn't say this show was realistic,but I just think that HTD's are very important to see if the Bachelor/ette fits in with the family and I just don't see how they can get an accurate picture in an exotic location.Maybe if they made things a little more "real" more couples would have a shot in hell at making it.
    "I need to stop talking about shoes before I get tabbed to judge some gay fashion show, or get a call from Tanner to hang out." sdl

  5. #5075
    FORT Fogey sclilred1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,941

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542958;
    Why exactly do you have a problem with it? And why in the world must it be exactly the same every year to be "real" to you? I cannot wrap my brain around that.

    Just because it differs from seasons past doesn't make it wrong for the folks involved. People have lives. People have differences--frankly, I am surprised that Melissa's parents were the first who said "no" to having the whole ABC crew in their homes-THAT seemed real to me. Someone having issues with their employer about this? THAT is real. Inviting a camera crew to your house for an "impromptu" jam session with the girl your son is "dating" (along with 4 other guys)--NOT REAL.
    Please do not put words into my mouth as I clearly did not say that it had to be the same every season for it to be real. I have numerous times on this board said that this show is as UNREAL as it can possibly get. The F2 meeting the family is not the first things that makes me say this. My brother brings his girlfriend home to "meet the family", he is not going to take said girlfriend to an exotic location for us to meet her the first time. There is the difference between real life and Fleiss life.

    A guy leaving because of work ~ real. A guy coming back two weeks later after he left for work ~ producer influenced and fake. Melissa's family was not the first to say NO to Fleiss. I doubt that they will be the last. We will disagree about this until the cows come home I am sure. You think that Ed is the best choice for Jillian and that the guy is totally fantastic or whatever. I don't. I see huge question marks with Ed. I see a very incomplete puzzle with Ed. Jillian not meeting his family on their own home turf is not going to add any pieces to that puzzle for me.

    I have said this before and apparently I will be saying it over and over..........Fleiss does not care if he gets another Trista/Ryan story out of this show. Fleiss cares about ratings, sponsers, drama. IF by some miracle a love story actually happens, great. If not, as long as he has his three top priorities then he could care less.

  6. #5076
    a&r sanlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,830

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Starshine_16;3542978;
    I didn't say this show was realistic,but I just think that HTD's are very important to see if the Bachelor/ette fits in with the family and I just don't see how they can get an accurate picture in an exotic location.Maybe if they made things a little more "real" more couples would have a shot in hell at making it.
    Agreed! I also think it would be better. Of course it's just an opinion of mine to say so.

  7. #5077
    FORT Fogey MiniDiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542958;
    Why exactly do you have a problem with it? And why in the world must it be exactly the same every year to be "real" to you? I cannot wrap my brain around that.

    Just because it differs from seasons past doesn't make it wrong for the folks involved. People have lives. People have differences--frankly, I am surprised that Melissa's parents were the first who said "no" to having the whole ABC crew in their homes-THAT seemed real to me. Someone having issues with their employer about this? THAT is real. Inviting a camera crew to your house for an "impromptu" jam session with the girl your son is "dating" (along with 4 other guys)--NOT REAL.
    To add to your point, Wes's HTD was not about meeting the parents but was all about "meeting the band"!

    But to view both sides of the argument, a lot of viewers want to see the "real life" HTD visits because that makes the show more "real" and or more believable for them. For Jillian's sake, it provides her with a true perspective of the lives of the guys she is dating on a reality TV dating show. Frankly, I feel that TPTB went overboard with 5 HTD dates this season and think they should have waited until she was down to 3 guys. That would have made it more meaningful for me--but it doesn't matter what I think as long as Jillian is happy.
    Last edited by MiniDiva; 07-04-2009 at 04:13 PM.

  8. #5078
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyCupCanes;3542964;
    It would be interesting to know how much weight the "family" factors in on either side. While I do think it's important, is it really a deal breaker?

    Take Kip's family for example. Someone posted upthread that their wealth and refinement is going to be a reason that he's rejected in the end. If so, it's interesting to me that the gal who loved to see the guys out of their comfort zone is unwilling to meet the same challenge herself.

    This one hits home for me because I married someone completely different in social status, culture, geography and I think about the 20 wonderful years I would have missed if I had been gunshy because his background and family was so much different than mine.
    Another one here 20 years with her own "foreigner" but I donīt see my situation, and it sounds yours, comparable to Jillian and Kip. They are both west coast NA, both speak english and sheīs obviously open to Americans so really the only issue for them, if it is one, is the social status. Thatīs a whole other ballgame and I think at her age with her family if she feels itīs an obstacle itīs fair. A full day with the family is enough to gage whether those social barriers can be broken down. The family can be charming and fun and all of those things and yet you can still know this is never going to work. I have no reason to believe anything ill about Kip and his family but the one thing I did walk away with is his mother doesnīt suffer fools easily AND can be dismissive if she feels youīve said something stupid. Having been around people like her, or how I suspect her to be, they can be on when they have to be but itīs tiring never being able to really relax. Somehow I donīt think sheīd be amused at grandma putting boxers on her head

  9. #5079
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    181

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3542943;
    I have a problem with the F2 guys not meeting Jillian's family on their "home turf". I had a problem with Jason's family meeting the F2 women at an exotic location to. If this show wants to have any "real"ness to it then they should follow the same guidelines they have in past seasons. The show is getting as far from real as it possibly can now and I for one will not be surprised to see the ratings go down the tube because of it.
    These are your exact words. I put nothing into your mouth.

  10. #5080
    Premium Member NYGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,486

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3542973;
    What is realistic about a person dating 30 people at once and then having problems if one of them had a few dates back home? Whats realistic about anything on this show. What is realistic about meeting the families after 1 alone date (with cameramen and crew) and a few dates with 3-10 other people. Nothing about this show is realistic, so why should the HTD or Meet the parents be any different?
    sueb, That is the most astute post I've read in a very long time. Well said!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.