Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

  1. #5061
    FORT Fogey cheekychook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    in the Enchanted Forest
    Posts
    1,645

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542897;
    It makes a difference because putting them together will likely be unnatural. Though it happens in some cases, it's not usual that the divorced parents get together for BBQs every weekend and just hang out. So putting them together for the purposes of being on camera for a reality tv show is not natural at all. That's what I am saying.

    Bottom line--the HTDs are no more real than taking a week-long train ride for a "date". While I think there can be somethings learned in these events, I don't think they will or should be deal maker or breaker, and certainly if the parents are present in another setting, then Jill will not worry that she didn't meet the parents in Michigan.

    Regarding the bolded, that's why I said that often when the parents are divorced they choose to only have one parent meet the contestants. Including in Kip's situation. I would never suggest getting together parents who don't get along---divorce is a personal thing and is often quite tense forever thereafter, so I didn't mean that his parents should both meet her or be forced into some phony lets-pretend-we-get-along-on-tv scenario. Sorry if you thought that's what I meant.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one." - Einstein

    Karen Stivali - author and very cheeky chook

  2. #5062
    FORT Fanatic moflan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philly Burbs
    Posts
    708

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Nice'n'Easy;3542345;
    Michael's "Is it legal?" Perhaps Michael was thinking in terms of the contract he, himself, signed. Wonder what the wording actually is re if one chooses to leave, etc.
    Interesting that Michael is asking if it is legal for Ed to come back and it was Ed who asked, "Is this even legal?" before he rapelled (sp?) off the roof of the building.

  3. #5063
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542911;
    Regarding the bolded, that's why I said that often when the parents are divorced they choose to only have one parent meet the contestants. Including in Kip's situation. I would never suggest getting together parents who don't get along---divorce is a personal thing and is often quite tense forever thereafter, so I didn't mean that his parents should both meet her or be forced into some phony lets-pretend-we-get-along-on-tv scenario. Sorry if you thought that's what I meant.
    Even though it was fakity-fake and largely for publicity, they could always follow the example of the Lamas clan, and meet the parents separately.

  4. #5064
    FORT Fogey sclilred1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    I have a problem with the F2 guys not meeting Jillian's family on their "home turf". I had a problem with Jason's family meeting the F2 women at an exotic location to. If this show wants to have any "real"ness to it then they should follow the same guidelines they have in past seasons. The show is getting as far from real as it possibly can now and I for one will not be surprised to see the ratings go down the tube because of it.

  5. #5065
    a&r sanlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,830

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3542943;
    I have a problem with the F2 guys not meeting Jillian's family on their "home turf". I had a problem with Jason's family meeting the F2 women at an exotic location to. If this show wants to have any "real"ness to it then they should follow the same guidelines they have in past seasons. The show is getting as far from real as it possibly can now and I for one will not be surprised to see the ratings go down the tube because of it.
    I also hate the idea of the F2 meeting her parents in Hawaii. I remember when the F2 used to meet the Bachelor/ette's family at their home and it seemed much more real to me too. Too bad they decided to go away with that.

  6. #5066
    FORT Fogey Starshine_16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,438

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sanlee;3542947;
    I also hate the idea of the F2 meeting her parents in Hawaii. I remember when the F2 used to meet the Bachelor/ette's family at their home and it seemed much more real to me too. Too bad they decided to go away with that.
    Meeting the parents at an exotic location is not reality(granted neither is this show),and I too wish that they would go back meeting Bachelor/ette's family at their home.It would be more realistic(well as realistic as this heavily scripted show can get)
    "I need to stop talking about shoes before I get tabbed to judge some gay fashion show, or get a call from Tanner to hang out." sdl

  7. #5067
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sanlee;3542947;
    I also hate the idea of the F2 meeting her parents in Hawaii. I remember when the F2 used to meet the Bachelor/ette's family at their home and it seemed much more real to me too. Too bad they decided to go away with that.
    I'm not sure they've done away with it totally. It wasn't done in Jason's season because they had already shot in Seattle, and logistically, New Zealand was too far away to traipse back to the states. Plus, I bet Jason negotiated for his family to get a free trip to NZ out of the deal. This season, again, they have already visited Canada quite extensively, so no need to go back there. However, Deanna made a very big deal of bringing the guys to meet her "big fat Greek family" in GA, so they did go there. We have to keep in mind it has nothing to do with what is better for the success of a relationship, but what makes for a more interesting story.

  8. #5068
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    181

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3542943;
    I have a problem with the F2 guys not meeting Jillian's family on their "home turf". I had a problem with Jason's family meeting the F2 women at an exotic location to. If this show wants to have any "real"ness to it then they should follow the same guidelines they have in past seasons. The show is getting as far from real as it possibly can now and I for one will not be surprised to see the ratings go down the tube because of it.
    Why exactly do you have a problem with it? And why in the world must it be exactly the same every year to be "real" to you? I cannot wrap my brain around that.

    Just because it differs from seasons past doesn't make it wrong for the folks involved. People have lives. People have differences--frankly, I am surprised that Melissa's parents were the first who said "no" to having the whole ABC crew in their homes-THAT seemed real to me. Someone having issues with their employer about this? THAT is real. Inviting a camera crew to your house for an "impromptu" jam session with the girl your son is "dating" (along with 4 other guys)--NOT REAL.

  9. #5069
    FORT Fogey sueb1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    I guess I could care less where they meet the families. It is not my life. IF the bach/ette's don't have a problem meeting at an exotic location, why should I care. I think they would get a better feel of their real lives meeting at the bach/ette's place than the families.

    I would care less if they eliiminated the meeting the parents anyway. At least just the f2 getting HTD. The majority of this isn't real life situations anyway.

  10. #5070
    a&r sanlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,830

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3542957;
    I'm not sure they've done away with it totally. It wasn't done in Jason's season because they had already shot in Seattle, and logistically, New Zealand was too far away to traipse back to the states. Plus, I bet Jason negotiated for his family to get a free trip to NZ out of the deal. This season, again, they have already visited Canada quite extensively, so no need to go back there. However, Deanna made a very big deal of bringing the guys to meet her "big fat Greek family" in GA, so they did go there. We have to keep in mind it has nothing to do with what is better for the success of a relationship, but what makes for a more interesting story.
    It seems like they have just decided to go with the F2 meeting the family where the FRC takes place which is probably the easiest thing to do which is fine but I remember when they met in their homes and enjoyed seeing that. Just an opinion though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.