Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

  1. #5051
    FORT Fanatic joliepaige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    510

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542843;
    I guess I, as a viewer, have always felt like I have a better handle on the contestants after seeing their home town dates. It is interesting to see the style of the homes, the types of meals they choose to serve, the family photos that get shown, the dynamic of siblings in the kitchen or around the dining room table. Those things, for me personally, give a different view of the family than a gathering in Hawaii will. That's just me. I just assume that if I learn more from just watching it on tv Jillian would have probably had an opportunity to learn more by experiencing it that way. Obviously any meeting of the parents still "counts" there are just aspects of being at a home that, IMO, make it more personal and more telling. As I've said, she has all the other guys' HTDs to compare....this meet the parent experience IF it even happens, will be different.
    ITA. I personally didn't know that Kip's family was so well off & that Jillian would be intimidated. I'm sure she had talked to Kip & he told her some things about his family. However; if they were just brought over to Hawaii & they talked in a hotel room you would not have really known them as well. I did think Kip's Dad was funny..his Mom not so much.

  2. #5052
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    181

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by albean99;3542847;


    I said the same thing after Ed left, that it was the most real thing I had seen on the show. The producers have no problem manipulating situations and asking questions over and over off camera until they get the answer they want on camera but that doesn't mean anything out of the ordinary must be dismissed as scripted out of hand. The whole dating on tv situation is unreal so I guess something that smacks of real life seems odd.

    As far as no htd is concerned, it is what it is. Jillian will have plenty of opportunity to see where Ed lives if she picks him. I think it's more important to her to meet his parents which obviously could happen. There have been a lot of situations in past shows where they didn't use the parent's house because of the size, met friends instead of family (Melissa and I think all of Byron's), and generally have been an unreal situation due to the cameras. Maybe they'll bring Ed's parents to meet Jillian and her folks. That's also happened before and possibly Kiptyn's parents will come as well. Again it's Jillian's judgement that matters and not ours.
    I think you are right--I have been struggling for a while with WHY people can't seem to get a handle on this being a "real" life scenario intruding on a very "un-real" setting, but I think you have hit on it

  3. #5053
    FORT Fogey sueb1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542850;
    I didn't say it was Jillian's real house---I know it wasn't. I said "home turf" meaning that she got to show the guys around Vancouver and the parts of Canada she loves. They got to see a general overview of the city she lives in and the places she loves. Didn't she call one her "happy place"? In contrast she has stated that she's never even been to Chicago. I doubt she's been to Detroit either. She probably has no idea what either place is like, so those are brush strokes left out of the painting she's seeing of Ed, IMO. Maybe Ed's mom will show up with a whole photo album. I hope she does. I think Jillian should have as clear a picture as possible before she makes any decisions regarding any of these men.
    His parents live in MI, so she would not have been to Chicago anyway. The majority of the HTD are at the parents place anyway. They don't see the home life. Many of the parents don't live in the towns the kids grew up in anymore either. The whole point is mute IMO anyway. I don't see her chosing someone over Ed she like less only because she didn't get to meet his parents on his home turf.


    She may be the one doing the chosing but they need to see if they fit in her life also.

    And in real life how many have meet parents after just a few dates anyway?

  4. #5054
    FORT Fogey MiniDiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542843;
    I guess I, as a viewer, have always felt like I have a better handle on the contestants after seeing their home town dates. It is interesting to see the style of the homes, the types of meals they choose to serve, the family photos that get shown, the dynamic of siblings in the kitchen or around the dining room table. Those things, for me personally, give a different view of the family than a gathering in Hawaii will. That's just me. I just assume that if I learn more from just watching it on tv Jillian would have probably had an opportunity to learn more by experiencing it that way. Obviously any meeting of the parents still "counts" there are just aspects of being at a home that, IMO, make it more personal and more telling. As I've said, she has all the other guys' HTDs to compare....this meet the parent experience IF it even happens, will be different.
    I have to agree with you, seeing the family dynamics provides an insight into the guy and part of who he is. Ed missed the boat on that and I think he regrets it as he winced everytime Jillian pointed that fact out (couch & RC). If they have a strong enough connection and if it is a deal breaker in the end, Ed will ensure that Jillian at least meets his parents and perhaps extended family. All of this will feed into the Comeback Ed storyline and I am sure there will be some last minute frantic phone calls or jet setting so the TPTB have their drama and high ratings!

    A poster on another thread reported that Ed's family does indeed meet Jillian, but no evidence is being offered.

  5. #5055
    FORT Fogey MiniDiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3542851;
    I admire your attempt to make lemonade out of lemons. Bravo!!
    I love lemonade!

  6. #5056
    FORT Fogey cheekychook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    in the Enchanted Forest
    Posts
    1,645

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542804;
    And if I took any random person to meet my parents they would learn precisely SQUAT about me and my life, ESPECIALLY if it were at my dad's house. My dad lives 2.5 hours away from me and we are not especially close. My brother lives across the country and knows nothing about my day-to-day life... I don't think these dates mean a lot unless the families are particularly close, and since Ed's parents are divorced, forcing them into the same room is not going to be "real" regardless of where it takes place.
    I thought it was established that Ed went on the show at the suggestion of his mom. I seem to remember posters at least insinuating that he was close with his mom and that was why he took her advice to come on in the first place. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

    I totally see your point about your family member's homes not showing anything about you. Perhaps the same would be true of Ed. If that's the case though Jillian still would have learned more about Ed by meeting his Mom or some combination of family/friends at his place in Chicago, IMO.

    Regarding Ed's parents being divorced I don't see how that makes a difference---Jason's parents are divorce but they have a workable enough relationship that they were able to come together for his HTD....Kip's parents are divorced and for whatever reason he opted to have Jillian meet his mom and step dad. There's always a choice when the contestant's parents are not together---it's been an issue for many of them over the years. My point is, and has been, that there are locations where the HTD COULD have occurred that would LIKELY have given Jillian a clearer picture of Ed's real life. That's all. And it's all just my opinion.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one." - Einstein

    Karen Stivali - author and very cheeky chook

  7. #5057
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3542857;
    His parents live in MI, so she would not have been to Chicago anyway. The majority of the HTD are at the parents place anyway. They don't see the home life. Many of the parents don't live in the towns the kids grew up in anymore either. The whole point is mute IMO anyway. I don't see her chosing someone over Ed she like less only because she didn't get to meet his parents on his home turf.


    She may be the one doing the chosing but they need to see if they fit in her life also.

    And in real life how many have meet parents after just a few dates anyway?
    I think the importance of HTDs really depends on the circumstances. Byron was 40 years old and probably hadn't lived in the same city as his parents for years, meeting them was more important than seeing where he grew up. And the importance of that meeting was nowhere near as great as it was in Reid's case, since he not only lives in the same city as his folks, but is in business with them. In real life (not that this is), the significance of "meeting the folks" also depends greatly on how close someone is to their family in the first place.

  8. #5058
    FORT Fogey cheekychook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    in the Enchanted Forest
    Posts
    1,645

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3542857;
    His parents live in MI, so she would not have been to Chicago anyway. The majority of the HTD are at the parents place anyway. They don't see the home life. Many of the parents don't live in the towns the kids grew up in anymore either. The whole point is mute IMO anyway. I don't see her chosing someone over Ed she like less only because she didn't get to meet his parents on his home turf.


    She may be the one doing the chosing but they need to see if they fit in her life also.

    And in real life how many have meet parents after just a few dates anyway?
    This is not real life, it's an accelerated dating drama that often ends with a proposal---most parents meet the significant other before the significant other becomes a fiance.

    Just to add, I know Ed is from MI, that's why I said I doubted she had been to Detroit. If he grew up in MI and now lives in Chicago, and Jillian has never been either place, I think it would have been valuable for her to have had a chance to visit on or the other. That's my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one." - Einstein

    Karen Stivali - author and very cheeky chook

  9. #5059
    FORT Fogey MiniDiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542865;
    I thought it was established that Ed went on the show at the suggestion of his mom. I seem to remember posters at least insinuating that he was close with his mom and that was why he took her advice to come on in the first place. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly.
    I think you are correct. Ed also tells Jillian in his 1:1 that it was his Mother and Sister who told him all about Jillian and implies that he did not know anything about her before the show. His Mom has also fielded calls from the press when he left in the middle of the show. Perhaps we will get to eventually meet her on the show.

  10. #5060
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    181

    Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542865;
    Regarding Ed's parents being divorced I don't see how that makes a difference---Jason's parents are divorce but they have a workable enough relationship that they were able to come together for his HTD....Kip's parents are divorced and for whatever reason he opted to have Jillian meet his mom and step dad. There's always a choice when the contestant's parents are not together---it's been an issue for many of them over the years. My point is, and has been, that there are locations where the HTD COULD have occurred that would LIKELY have given Jillian a clearer picture of Ed's real life. That's all. And it's all just my opinion.
    It makes a difference because putting them together will likely be unnatural. Though it happens in some cases, it's not usual that the divorced parents get together for BBQs every weekend and just hang out. So putting them together for the purposes of being on camera for a reality tv show is not natural at all. That's what I am saying.

    Bottom line--the HTDs are no more real than taking a week-long train ride for a "date". While I think there can be somethings learned in these events, I don't think they will or should be deal maker or breaker, and certainly if the parents are present in another setting, then Jill will not worry that she didn't meet the parents in Michigan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.