Thread: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

FORT Fan

Re: Bachelorette 5 Thoughts and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by coastalbc;3542437;
    I don't think you can say the bolded part with any certainity. The point that I was trying to make is that even when they are on group dates, there is definately a certain amount of interaction that happens between Jill and the guys..........he missed out on that, as well as considering the train is that small, they will definately of had time together there as well. It showed Jill having breakfast each day with the guys. It makes you doubt the connection that Ed and Jill currently have given the fact that there are lots of doubts that have been put into the mix involving Ed.
    She didn't say "for certain" she said they 'MAY' and he 'MAY'. Reid didn't have any time with her at the mansion in LA, I could say that it means FOR CERTAIN that he couldn't possibly be as close to her as some of the others (Ed, Jake, Wes, Robby), but I wouldn't say that because I HAVE NO IDEA...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542775;
    It's not about both if that is not a logistical convenience. If someone lives in the same city as their parents, it's both. If someone doesn't, then they either go to their town or they go to their parents. My point was that it is not about "seeing if someone fits in with their life", it's about meeting the parents. That can be done anywhere. And besides, it's not anywhere close to a "real" scenario regardless. Do we really think that these families bury doves or have jam sessions on a regular basis? Hardly. These things are a set up for drama and I don't see how it is substantially different if it's done in HI vs MI--neither of them is where Ed lives his life...
    Jillian made it a point to say that she wanted to see if she will fit in their lives and their families as well. We know Ed leaving and returning is scripted from start to finish.

The rationale given doesn't cut mustard. His boss wants him back at work and disapproves of his going on a tv show to find love. Yet two weeks later missing out on HTDs when they are ready to leave for Spain he arrives in the nick of time just before the RC to get himself a rose and couple of free trips to Spain and HI. And, of course, this time the boss approves and let's him get back a second time? (sarcastic)

It's insulting to the viewer who sees through this farce of a scenario, whoever came up with it. May make for a good soap opera script but if they did this without Jillian's knowledge then they are deceitful to the star of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by kygirl93;3542775;
    It's not about both if that is not a logistical convenience. If someone lives in the same city as their parents, it's both. If someone doesn't, then they either go to their town or they go to their parents. My point was that it is not about "seeing if someone fits in with their life", it's about meeting the parents. That can be done anywhere. And besides, it's not anywhere close to a "real" scenario regardless. Do we really think that these families bury doves or have jam sessions on a regular basis? Hardly. These things are a set up for drama and I don't see how it is substantially different if it's done in HI vs MI--neither of them is where Ed lives his life...
    If I were to take a random person from this board back to my parents house they would learn more about me by going there, even though I don't live there anymore, than they would learn by meeting my family for a meal at an exotic location. Seeing how people behave in a family setting, with familiar things around, family photos, personal memorabilia, etc is very different than seeing them at a hotel or meeting at a restaurant. In spite of the cameras, and the crew, and the obvious staging of the traditional htd's Jillian still got to know the other guys' families better than she will get to know Ed's IF she only gets to see them in the neutral setting of an unfamiliar/exotic place like Hawaii, IMO.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one." - Einstein

Karen Stivali - author and very cheeky chook

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook;3542789;
    If I were to take a random person from this board back to my parents house they would learn more about me by going there, even though I don't live there anymore, than they would learn by meeting my family for a meal at an exotic location. Seeing how people behave in a family setting, with familiar things around, family photos, personal memorabilia, etc is very different than seeing them at a hotel or meeting at a restaurant. In spite of the cameras, and the crew, and the obvious staging of the traditional htd's Jillian still got to know the other guys' families better than she will get to know Ed's IF she only gets to see them in the neutral setting of an unfamiliar/exotic place like Hawaii, IMO.
    CH said to Jillian that she will not get to meet Ed's family in the discussion about him returning. Jillian made a point to say to CH that she couldn't consider a proposal from Ed unless she was able to meet them, or at least talk to them before making a decision. I thought that clearly set up an 11th hour phone call to Ed's family ala Jason/Melissa's mom. And that phone call will probably look a lot like the one between Jake and Tanner in the airport - completely one-sided and we won't even know if there is anyone on the other end of the phone.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;3542788;
    Jillian made it a point to say that she wanted to see if she will fit in their lives and their families as well. We know Ed leaving and returning is scripted from start to finish.

The rationale given doesn't cut mustard. His boss wants him back at work and disapproves of his going on a tv show to find love. Yet two weeks later missing out on HTDs when they are ready to leave for Spain he arrives in the nick of time just before the RC to get himself a rose and couple of free trips to Spain and HI. And, of course, this time the boss approves and let's him get back a second time? (sarcastic)

It's insulting to the viewer who sees through this farce of a scenario, whoever came up with it. May make for a good soap opera script but if they did this without Jillian's knowledge then they are deceitful to the star of the show.
    We HAVE NO IDEA what happened between Ed and his boss. I have said before that it sounds more to me that Ed's boss wasn't prepared for Ed to be gone more than anything. For all we know, he came back "did his thing" in his words, then went above his immediate boss for a higher level approval. Or he quit. Or he went completely AWOL. WE DON'T KNOW. But it's pointless speculation at this point, because he's back, obviously Jill wants him back, TPTB don't mind letting him back (or actively want him back, or forced him back, whatever you choose to believe).

And I fail to see why this is so much more "farcical" than some of the other stuff we have seen--burying doves? Really? Helicopter and zip-lines as "regular" dates? No way. Frankly, this is the most "real" thing I have seen on the show in ages. I have often wondered who the heck are these contestants who can put their lives (and jobs) on hold for two months to go through this process. Most "real" people cannot do that, unless they are independently wealthy or unemployed, and most of the people I have ever dated were neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3542796;
    CH said to Jillian that she will not get to meet Ed's family in the discussion about him returning. Jillian made a point to say to CH that she couldn't consider a proposal from Ed unless she was able to meet them, or at least talk to them before making a decision. I thought that clearly set up an 11th hour phone call to Ed's family ala Jason/Melissa's mom. And that phone call will probably look a lot like the one between Jake and Tanner in the airport - completely one-sided and we won't even know if there is anyone on the other end of the phone.
    Yes, that's entirely possible.

I was responding to the discussion that was based on the ASSUMPTION that they flew Ed's parents to Hawaii. I was putting in my 2 cents in the debate about whether meeting them in Hawaii would be the equivalent of having a HTD. IMO it is not equivalent as it doesn't afford the same type of opportunity to see people on their home turf, in their familiar surroundings.

The 11th hour fake phonecall wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened instead.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one." - Einstein

Karen Stivali - author and very cheeky chook

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;3542779;
    We have had two contestants from Chitown -Jen and Ed who have a bit of noteriety attached to their names. Jen was not much a favorite when she became the b'ette but since then she has married and people have forgotten her. Now we have Ed's who's social life in Chitown is being talked about. Any other contestants who made it far in this franchise show who did not have any notereity attached to their names?
    For starters,,,Melissa,,,Wes,,,jus t to name two right off the top.

Fail to see what any of this has to do with the show. Jillian will make up her mind on someone or no one regardless of what posters in Fans of Realty TV may opinion.

Interesting but the men are also meeting her parents in Hawaii also. I guess they won't be getting a real feel of her life either then right?

Lets face it, the majority of the dates are not something the couple woud do in a real dating situation. The whole situation insn't real life. So this excuse does not wash for me.

Cheeky the bolded is what I have been trying to say.You can't get a feel for the family interaction in HI because it is unfamiliar.Spending time with each guy and their family where he lives or they live is completely different than flying parents to an exotic location.
    "I need to stop talking about shoes before I get tabbed to judge some gay fashion show, or get a call from Tanner to hang out." sdl

FORT Fan

And if I took any random person to meet my parents they would learn precisely SQUAT about me and my life, ESPECIALLY if it were at my dad's house. My dad lives 2.5 hours away from me and we are not especially close. My brother lives across the country and knows nothing about my day-to-day life... I don't think these dates mean a lot unless the families are particularly close, and since Ed's parents are divorced, forcing them into the same room is not going to be "real" regardless of where it takes place.