Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes **Spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: Wes **Spoilers**

My message back and forth with him on facebook clearly indicated he had no idea he would be portrayed so badly and wasn't thrilled with it and was VERY glad some of us can see through the edit.

FORT Regular

From a poster on TWOP talking about the interview this morning.

I live in Austin and happened to catch him on our local country station (I can't find an interview transcript but here is a pic: Wes from 06/24/09 radio interview in Austin). He said the only reason he is allowed to talk at this point in the show is he has about 4-5 radio interviews scheduled to promote the release of his cd. But he definitely is not happy with his portrayal on the show and claims very severe editing (don't they all!). The interview started and ended with Bachelorette talk combined with cd/family/background chat in between. The beginning portion was pretty detailed with his opinions but the ending portion was full of the standard "well, I'm not allowed to say" canned answer using the contract as an excuse. Seemed very clear to me someone advised him to stop answering the questions per his show contract during one of the commercial breaks. I got the impression he could care less what he said at first until possibly a manager reminded him of the contract (the infamous part about how he can be sued for $1M if he talks about the show). The change in his answers towards the end was a 180 turn from the start - at the end he wouldn't even answer simple questions like "how long did the show take to film?" or "did you get along with the other guys?". My guess is his other scheduled radio interviews will be cancelled because he really did start to discuss his opinions of the show.

So in a nutshell from the candid start of the interview, he said Monday's episode is extremely upsetting. For instance, the line where he says he can breathe it, feel it, taste it (I'm paraphrasing)...implying the fame as a result of the show...was actually answering a producer question asking him about his songwriting. He said she asked him first "how long does it normally take you to write a song?" to which he replied "well, sometimes just a few minutes...the words just flow...to days or weeks". She then followed with "walk me through your creative process of writing a song"...hence his answer. Tons of the other quotes were spliced together from different interviews and taken out of context. He feels like from the minute he stepped out of the limo, he was pegged as a guy whom they could use to add drama. One of the producers called him before Monday's show to let him know how he was going to be portrayed. I guess he got pretty upset and at the end of the conversation, the producer said "Wes, this is a television show...get over it." He claims to have been so angry that he didn't fall asleep until 5 a.m. the next morning.

Other tidbits before he stopped talking: He really did like Jillian. He told her from the beginning he wasn't going to be the type who would jump on her as soon as she walked in the room. His little sister (I think he said she is 17) sent an application into the show without him knowing - he received a voicemail from the producers and had to call his mom to find out what was happening. He said the rose ceremonies usually started around 6:00 p.m. and didn't wrap until 5:00 a.m. because the cocktail party part would last so long with Jillian spending time with each guy.

He's been playing around the local music scene for awhile and the djs have known him for 3 years and vouched his "real life" personality is not the same as the portrayal on the show. They were teasing him for being a ladies man but he swears no girlfriend exists regardless of what the show implies and he hasn't had a girlfriend in "quite awhile".

I recognized the place from the very first episode containing "coming up this season on the Bachelorette" previews so I was spoiled about Wes getting to the hometown dates...but for anyone familiar with Austin the site of the little concert next week is Hills Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by photoshopgrl;3525022;
    From a poster on TWOP talking about the interview this morning.
    I live in Austin and happened to catch him on our local country station (I can't find an interview transcript but here is a pic: Wes from 06/24/09 radio interview in Austin). He said the only reason he is allowed to talk at this point in the show is he has about 4-5 radio interviews scheduled to promote the release of his cd. But he definitely is not happy with his portrayal on the show and claims very severe editing (don't they all!). The interview started and ended with Bachelorette talk combined with cd/family/background chat in between. The beginning portion was pretty detailed with his opinions but the ending portion was full of the standard "well, I'm not allowed to say" canned answer using the contract as an excuse. Seemed very clear to me someone advised him to stop answering the questions per his show contract during one of the commercial breaks. I got the impression he could care less what he said at first until possibly a manager reminded him of the contract (the infamous part about how he can be sued for $1M if he talks about the show). The change in his answers towards the end was a 180 turn from the start - at the end he wouldn't even answer simple questions like "how long did the show take to film?" or "did you get along with the other guys?". My guess is his other scheduled radio interviews will be cancelled because he really did start to discuss his opinions of the show.

So in a nutshell from the candid start of the interview, he said Monday's episode is extremely upsetting. For instance, the line where he says he can breathe it, feel it, taste it (I'm paraphrasing)...implying the fame as a result of the show...was actually answering a producer question asking him about his songwriting. He said she asked him first "how long does it normally take you to write a song?" to which he replied "well, sometimes just a few minutes...the words just flow...to days or weeks". She then followed with "walk me through your creative process of writing a song"...hence his answer. Tons of the other quotes were spliced together from different interviews and taken out of context. He feels like from the minute he stepped out of the limo, he was pegged as a guy whom they could use to add drama. One of the producers called him before Monday's show to let him know how he was going to be portrayed. I guess he got pretty upset and at the end of the conversation, the producer said "Wes, this is a television show...get over it." He claims to have been so angry that he didn't fall asleep until 5 a.m. the next morning.

Other tidbits before he stopped talking: He really did like Jillian. He told her from the beginning he wasn't going to be the type who would jump on her as soon as she walked in the room. His little sister (I think he said she is 17) sent an application into the show without him knowing - he received a voicemail from the producers and had to call his mom to find out what was happening. He said the rose ceremonies usually started around 6:00 p.m. and didn't wrap until 5:00 a.m. because the cocktail party part would last so long with Jillian spending time with each guy.

He's been playing around the local music scene for awhile and the djs have known him for 3 years and vouched his "real life" personality is not the same as the portrayal on the show. They were teasing him for being a ladies man but he swears no girlfriend exists regardless of what the show implies and he hasn't had a girlfriend in "quite awhile".

I recognized the place from the very first episode containing "coming up this season on the Bachelorette" previews so I was spoiled about Wes getting to the hometown dates...but for anyone familiar with Austin the site of the little concert next week is Hills Cafe.
    I KNEW IT!!! And I had posted my perception about how they probably got that spliced/diced fame/publicity answer! (yay me!)

I don't know if anyone noticed, but one time it was "publicity", and another time it was "fame" (most recently, "fame"), with the rest of it being the same. Proof (as if we needed any) of the splicing/dicing going on.

Gosh, I wish I could hear that interview. Thank you so much for bringing over the recap!
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

I don't know if anyone noticed, but one time it was "publicity", and another time it was "fame" (most recently, "fame"), with the rest of it being the same. Proof (as if we needed any) of the splicing/dicing going on.
    I noticed that. And you never see his face for that first line...the publicity or the fame part. This is because he never said that when he said the rest of it.

Wes had to have ticked someone off for them to editing him the way that they are. Not sure who it was or why but TPTB are certainly driving them bus over him every chance they get.

FORT Fogey

Oh, I doubt it's personal. At least not to them. It probably feels personal to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3524677;
    Wes is getting a horrible edit, to the point of it evidencing producer intent to inflict professional harm on him. The contracts they all sign expressly warn of and allow for that of course.

But what I really want to say, is that the portrayal of Wes is so personal and quite obviously over the top to me (as in they have not shown any of the redeeming qualities that obviously in the real world caused Jillian to attach to him) that it is a bit of a clue to me in and of itself.

I'm wondering whether they aren't "blaming" Wes for a failed show, that is a show where she didn't bounce back in Hawaii or have the time needed to find a suitable mate to stand for a proposal.
    I still expect a Happy Ending, because production is hard wired to force that result, but no longer confident that's what unfolded.

The previews are trying to foretell confusion, failure, and deception, not moon, June, spoon romance.
    I agree with the bolded part, because I keep wondering what is there angle here. As I have said many times I think she chooses no one and this maybe why they are doing this to him, it will be why she chooses no one. He is the one she fell for but with all the controversy around him and like someone else said, she's not sure she can trust the others. Ed leaving and coming back, Jack keep showing up, just not enough with Kip and Reid.

It apparently feels really personal to him. Here I go again - falling for the blankety-blank edit. What got me was that during the section where he gets visceral with the wanting it, eating it...his eyes glazed with passion. That is the first and only time I've seen him passionate on the show, whether with/about the girl or not. I'm happy to learn that he was talking about his song writing process and not the "fame" that might come from being put on display on an edited to the teeth, twisting story drama reality show. I'll still be happy to see him go in Spain, and now I'm sure he'll be happy to be off the show as well.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3524677;
    Wes is getting a horrible edit, to the point of it evidencing producer intent to inflict professional harm on him. The contracts they all sign expressly warn of and allow for that of course.....
    I'm wondering whether they aren't "blaming" Wes for a failed show, that is a show where she didn't bounce back in Hawaii or have the time needed to find a suitable mate to stand for a proposal.
    That was my thought last night after writing my long scribe about how she may pick no one after Jake dropped the Wes-girlfriend bomb on her in Austin. His edit is way too one-sided and awful. If Wes is the reason she was unenthusiastic about the rest by the time she got to Hawaii, then they may view him as costing them a lot of extra money to extend the stay on Hawaii, shoot more scenes, change the schedule, etc. It also may be that the showdown in Austin is the reason they decided, hastily, to bring Ed back for the LA HTD rose ceremony. That too would have cost them more money. This may just be ABC's version of payback time for Wes.

I'm wondering what kind of edit he'll get in Barcelona when she sends him home. I've always thought he asks to leave but they won't show it. Jillian in post-show interviews continues to defend Wes and says no one had a girlfriend -- but ABC is running him into the ground with it. I'm almost tempted to buy his CD.

FORT Fogey

The thing I feel the most frustrated about is that I don't think they will allow him any redemption. I think they will just hang him out to dry for this. I've thought the edits were obvious from the start, and it's surprising to me that people fall for it. Even before I ever visited forums on the show it was always obvious to me that the show is all cheap edits and splicing.