Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Mike Fleiss' comments: Network, Freaky, etc.

Re: Thoughts on Mike Fleiss' comments: Network, Freaky, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCruiser;3349508;
    2. Not too many of the mags and rags are running with the RS theory.... if it is such a huge scoop, WHY NOT run with it?
    You would think that these mags would WANT the scoop?
    It's a reporter's dream to get the scoop.... they are LOOKing for the scoop.
    i still maintain that the reason for this is that, well, sorry but this is not news to mainstream america.

a reality tv show conspiracy? perish the thought!
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCruiser;3349508;
    Hey, I had no intentions of causing more "brain drain pain" for any of you.

I just have made a few observations...
    And while I realize that "Fleiss is the man fans love to hate", I do think he is "smarter than the average bear" and is up there close to genius. With that being said,

1. Fleiss is NOT appearing to make any obvious negations to RS and his theory... merely letting it "do what it is doing". IF it is true, WHY would we not see more damage control by Fleiss? At least, some pertinent manipulations...

2. Not too many of the mags and rags are running with the RS theory.... if it is such a huge scoop, WHY NOT run with it?
    You would think that these mags would WANT the scoop?
    It's a reporter's dream to get the scoop.... they are LOOKing for the scoop.

3. The STAR mag has a bit of the promo on the cover and YET, on their website, does NOT dish on the story at all! And this is supposed to be over in just a few days.... Are they backing off?
    The magazines are by and large properties of the same corporations that produce and distribute and air this show. There is no such thing as investigative journalism involving this show or celebrities anyway.

We're not talking Bernie Madoff or even Whitewater here, gang. No one was harmed in the filming or presentation of this entertainment. No crimes. No upcoming congressional hearings into whether Melissa was blindsided at a secret taping.

The "spoiler" blogs at the major outlets are used by the networks themselves to promote their shows. Kristin, Ausiello, and the like depend upon the actors and producers and their networks and agents for scoop. They don't bother themselves with "investigating". They publish the scoop that comes their way -- or not -- largely at the beck and call of the networks.

In short, there is no journalistic or revenue-raising "gain" to publishing scoop one second before the powers that be want it out there.

There is modest amount of interest in why this tired old format rejuvenated this year. See NY Times article. Ratings are king in this business, that's why there are news stories in publications other than the celeb rags that are owned by the same conglomerates that produce/distribute/air the show.

The business of TV is the most important clue most seasons.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;3349519;
    i still maintain that the reason for this is that, well, sorry but this is not news to mainstream america.

a reality tv show conspiracy? perish the thought!
    Hey, you might be surprized how many people BET on these type of endings. ie. Survivor, American Idol, etc.
    It's not about the conspiracy alone...
    Scoops are big $$ for many reasons.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

FORT Fanatic

One of the many reasons I am fairly sure that RS is a paid shil for the network is that TPTB have not threatened lawsuits against RS. I mean if he was leaked information, someone had to be the leakie. And if TPTB value their contracts then there should be some fallout for the leak. It only makes sense. RS was spoonfed this info.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3357060;
    One of the many reasons I am fairly sure that RS is a paid shil for the network is that TPTB have not threatened lawsuits against RS. I mean if he was leaked information, someone had to be the leakie. And if TPTB value their contracts then there should be some fallout for the leak. It only makes sense. RS was spoonfed this info.
    How could any one of us know who is being threatened, pressured, investigated about the leaks, where confidential arbitration is the only permitted means for addressing breaches of the underlying agreements?

In fact, I understand that the network/producers were pretty darn angry and upset about the nearly immediate leak of the fact of the ATFR secret taping in mid/late January, and were determined to find out how it happened. And a lot of what we're seeing is them making Soup from the Leftovers of their blockbuster/budget buster of a beautiful NZ proposal scene.

In terms of how we got here from there, we're talking Palsgraf Railroad case here. One small event setting in motion a huge chain of events. Life is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3357060;
    I think it's the reason why the show decided to do a ATFR2 and have an audience of people who went to past ones. Smart move on their part and I have a feeling that if those in attendance thought that Jason wasn't scripted and actually made a mistake in picking Melissa and wanted to be with Molly that those that see it on TV will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan;3349438;
    Brad Womack picked no one and though it was dramatic most viewers were upset by it though now in hindsight most appreciate Brad was not forced into proposing. I have a few other minor bones to pick with him, but for the most part was cool he didn't propose or even try to date someone he wasn't really interested in.

Shayne was most likely a set up. Both Shayne and Matt wanted exposures and as far as I know they are both still in LA trying to get work. But Fleiss had to have a proposal at the end of that one.

D comes back and its pretty obvious Graham is the one she is most attracted to but he exits too early. They are pushing the single Dad on her but at the same time know they are keeping him back pocket for next Bachelor.

D surprises many choosing Jesse which creates a lot of controversy. But I do think she followed her heart. TPTB made her let Jason get down on one knee to stir up trouble and sympathy.

Jason's season. They play up Stephanie to the hilt even though its obvious they hav zero chemistry.

Jason is the type of guy who is so flattered all these girls are into him. He is a kid in a candy store tasting all the treats! He really can't decide between Molly and Melissa but they already had the guy who continued dating two girls, one who couldn't decide, one who gave a plane ticket, etc. They needed something new. They force Jason to not only choose but propose. He chooses Melissa and they fly in her parents. He asks for their blessing, proposes, etc.

They all get home and realize its a big mistake. Jason still has feelings for Molly. TPTB decide to run with it. They could/should have tried this with Trista and Alex was it? But in this case Molly is very open to taking him back. They run with it. They carefully craft the leaks to gain ratings. Two "after"shows are planned to explain the story and milk the ratings.

Fleiss has to keep the ending interesting. A ring and a happy couple is so boring. But did he make this happen or just allow it to ? I think allow it to. Jason was in love with both women plain and simple but he choose the wrong one at FRC or she dumps him soon after.
    I think you have made a lot of good points. I did think "conspiracy theory" when this first all came out. It was not a stretch IMO that they pegged Jason as the next Bachelor during D's season, and that conceivably they told/encouraged Deanna to let him get down on one knee and humiliate himself on National TV. Sets him up as even a more sympathetic character and boosts rating for this season. I think they were all quite well aware of Jason angst this season and perhaps encouraged him to pick Melissa. I think I read somewhere that contractually he had to pick someone and Melissa - given she seem to connect better with Ty - was his choice.

One thing that I was thought was very odd, before all this came out, was that Melissa had to have been aware that her parents would not participate on the show and my guess is that ABC was aware as well. If true, then ABC may have wanted to play with this idea a bit to create drama/controversy. If this turns ot to be an issue regarding the break up then it makes me think maybe things were indeed set up early on.

Bumping this thread so folks can discuss new tidbits of information about the work of the master manipulator in the new season.
    Last edited by pajamasam; 06-10-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Let's face it......relationships are boring! I know very little about Mike Fliess, but I seriously doubt that his intentions are an attempt to promote monogamy. I think it is quite the opposite. So many men/women so little time. It's all a cruel joke. In the end it is more like "Sophie's Choice". 1st epi. is a cattle call 30% eliminated based on the most superficial assessment( those who would not make for good tv). Keep the freaks, the drunks, the singers, the stalkers and the raging bulls and put them in a barracks with no privacy and free flowing booze for a few weeks and you've got the recipe for romance.

Any woman, at that point, would appear to be the love of their life after a few tequilla shots. With all contact to the outside world cut off, and men have such short memories, the Bachelorette becomes irresistible. When all of these people get back to their lives and detox they have second thoughts and wonder what in the world could they have been thinking.

I would say that the best thing about this show is that its rate of success is such a disaster. All the fabulous wardrobes, romantic locations, unlimited budgets, six-pack abs, chest implants and spray-on tans can't make someone fall in love with you. There is no formula. It's a mystery that never can be solved. When two people fall in love simultaneously it is glorious, but there is no guarantee as to how long it can last.......it is a day to day arrangement.

A large part of Fleiss' body of work consists of slasher movies involving kidnapping and torture. Some might say he is a sadist.
    Last edited by blasie; 06-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Don't drink the KoolAid

Commit random acts of kindness!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12