Page 1 of 130 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Behind the Edit **SPOILERS**

FORT Regular

Behind the Edit **SPOILERS**

Hi Everyone,

On Lynn7’s recommendation, I’ve started this new thread in the hopes of delving deeper into the edit by transcript analysis. IMHO this a really fun way of looking at a show, and it’s remarkable how much stuff comes out of the woodwork when you check out the camera work in conjunction with the dialog. What follows in the next post is the transcript for episode three carried over from the Thoughts thread. I’ve found in the past (in particular regard to Survivor analysis) that just about everything said or shown shows significance one way or another, so feel free to comment on anything that sticks out or in many cases, doesn’t stick out!

Cheers,

Piper

FORT Regular

Re: Behind the Edit **SPOILERS**

Hey All,

I’ve spent the day transcribing ep three in the hopes it may help with your fishing. Having done this many times for Survivor, we found that it really helped track patterns in the edit, reveal chop in scenes, VOs, bad cuts, and generally give clues and flesh out character arcs, plotlines, deceptive editing, one-ep wonders, and immediate and future boots. Most of it is word for word with some paraphrasing where nothing huge is occurring. What’s interesting is what we think we hear on the show and what is actually said. Also note camera shots when things are being said. I’ve put names in parens to indicate who the camera focused on during key moments and dialog. Also left a few of my own comments and a few comments from my better half (SO)—also a newbie to the show—who watched the play-by-play as I transcribed. Always interesting to hear the male POV.

Anyhoo, I hope perhaps this sheds a bit of light on the current scenario. Of particular note is the subtle undercurrent of testosterone slinging going on between Jesse and Jeremy. Tons of shots of DeAnna (both slow and quick cuts), and Jeremy is almost always by her side with Jesse intentionally maneuvering his way into position. Jesse is also sitting next to DeAnna and Jason—a lot. Very calculating, methinks. Friends close. Enemies closer. Jesse and Jeremy are men with plans. And check out the sheer number of camera jumps to reactions of Jason, Jeremy, Jesse, and Graham (no doubt many are intercuts from elsewhere!) I’ve also bolded a few things that IMHO show significant foreshadowing. Again, just tracking the edits here, nothing personal to any of the participants, just commentary on how they’re being portrayed. This is really long, so not sure if there’s a word cap or if I’ll have to chop it into a few posts. Hope it helps!

OPENER RECAP:
    Brad recap. Then the guys heading out of the limos in ep one.
    D: “I truly feel (camera on Brian) like the luckiest (Graham) person in the world (Jason) right now.
    THE NEXT MORNING: Jesse, Richard, and Jeremy walk into the mansion. Jeremy flashes the peace sign.
    AT THE MAGIC DATE:
    CH: Jason stole the show (he and D in the box)
    Paul: Where’s Jason’s hands?
    Shot of Jeremy explaining his parents died.
    CH: Jeremy got the rose and became the most hated man in the house.
    RON TO D: Wouldn’t you have spread one of the roses out a little more? (D not happy)
    VO: It’s just hard! (camera goes to Jeremy)
    CH: It’s a Wild West adventure (Graham dancing. My SO points out that he’s the only one not wearing a cowboy hat.)
    RON TO JEREMY: You lack something brother. There’s a level of tact (camera on Jesse).
    CH: Jason and D reach for the stars, but will Jason finally tell D his secret?

EP THREE
    CH AT OUTHOUSE: You’re the twelve who D’s chosen to keep around (shot of Jesse then Jeremy)
    CH: If you have an individual date you need to have your bags packed (Graham, Twilley).
    RICHARD: With Graham moving in and me moving out I’m way behind the game (this spelled poor Richard’s doom right there. Strike one).
    THE MANSION: Jeremy is first at the pool to hug D (pensive shot of Graham). Only Jeremy is shown hugging her.
    D: It’s pretty difficult having these three in the house right now. I’m obviously attracted to Jeremy. I want to learn more about Paul, and Graham is hot. I want him to spend the rest of the time in my house without his shirt. (Any other takers? )
    JEREMY: My focus is on DeAnna and letting her see the difference between the three of us. I don’t think either one of them are suited to her, and I think by the end of the week she’ll see that (shot of D and Graham). In the hot tub, Jeremy is sitting very close on D’s left, Paul further away to her right, and Graham a good distance from Jeremy.
    INTERCUT to Jason and Jesse on the Outhouse hammock.
    JESSE: She’s in her bikini and looking good.
    JASON PI: Living in the Outhouse is a big disadvantage in regard to building an emotional connection. What will make a big difference is if I finally get to go on a date with her (shot of Jeremy and D in hot tub; Graham and Paul out of the shot).

OUTHOUSE: Someone says: “there are two big personalities in the house right now.”
    BRIAN: Jeremy and Graham. To me those are THE two guys (Richard frustrated).
    ROBERT: I think Jeremy’s going to keep doing his “white on rice” (hard to decipher) routine. (There’s obviously no love lost here from Rob!)
    JEREMY TO D: (sitting next to her) Pretty place you’ve got here (one arm hug from D; Graham and Paul sitting across the table).
    ROBERT: Graham’s a funny guy. He’s laid back (Graham gives a toast). I hope he does start to push Jeremy out.
    SEAN: I don’t think Jeremy is the right guy for DeAnna.
    ROBERT PI: Jeremy rubbed me the wrong way ever since we got here (D rubbing sunscreen on Jeremy’s face). He tries too hard to be perfect, and that’s not real. (Foreshadow of Jeremy’s ultimate demise or Robert as villain?)
    OUTHOUSE: The guys chatter about Paul. The disadvantage for him being in the mansion is that he’s with two big personalities. Won’t go well if he tries too hard (Strike one for Paul and his demise).
    MANSION POOL: D hands Jeremy the date card.
    OUTHOUSE: Jeremy reads the date card to the guys (smirks). Richard gets the big romantic date.
    RICHARD: It’s time to go big or go home. (Strike one, honeypie). I’m gonna go big. What’s killing me is knowing I’ll have to pack my bag (Jesse has his arm around Richard). Someone says: “That’s right.” (Big foreshadow there.)
    PROMO BEFORE BREAK: Twelve men (Graham, Sean, Paul, Jesse). Only nine roses. Who will DeAnna choose to become her husband?

D AT OUTHOUSE: She calls for help getting down the hill. Jason, Jesse, and Sean watch from below. Fred and Ron respond. Down below, Jesse says: “It’s like a closet full of perfection. She just walks in there and gets dusted with it.” He then pretends to sprinkle dust over Jason’s head. (This is a money shot. Is a potential F2 anointing another? Jesse indicating Jason wins or leaving him in the dust?)
    RICHARD: I’m definitely developing feelings for DeAnna. I know I’m gonna have a great time with her (Jesse, Jason, Brian, Ron, and one other guy watching them leave). Someone off camera says: “Don’t stay out too late.” And pretty sure Robert OC says: “Have her home by twelve.” Bad splice.

RICHARD to D: How come I got the lucky invite?
    D: I don’t know. (Body language not good). Can’t tell you all my secrets just yet. (Poor Rich is dead man walking. Strike two.)
    RICHARD: I’m all about surprises. (And he’s about to get a big one…)
    JESSE AT OUTHOUSE: He (Rich) has a 95 percent chance of coming home. I think he’s getting a rose.
    DATE BOX: Paul reads the names for the dude ranch date. Jason isn’t going. Jesse is the first to congratulate him. (Throughout the ep, Jesse is usually the first to congratulate or console someone under all circumstances.)
    JASON: I’m really excited to tell DeAnna about my son. We’re finally gonna be able to talk about Ty. (He asks Graham for advice.)
    GRAHAM: You’ll be good on your own. You don’t want any advice from me. I promise. (Good call on that one!)

RICHARD DATE: No one’s ever asked D about career endeavors. He wants to take the leap and give her the first kiss (seems like Graham and Jeremy didn’t kiss and tell. For the record… this is painful). He mentions the 80/20 rule. He’s giving out 80 and seeing if he gets 20 from D. Awkward as he moves hair from her face. Body language says D is likely thinking of Graham’s abs. Poor Richard.
    RICHARD TO D: “This is someone I could be devoted to for the rest of my life.” (Awkward. Wouldn’t you say “you would be someone….?) D not smiling during PI when discussing Rich.
    CARRIAGE RIDE TO DOOM. Rich says “It almost seems like I’m falling off a cliff here.”
    D: The kindest thing to do is really the hardest thing to do. I can’t make the same mistake Brad did. (Richard gets the boot. On a personal note: WAAAAAAH! Pardons. Had to get that out of my system.)
    OUTHOUSE: The coachman removes Richard’s luggage.
    D: …I do not see myself ever falling in love with him. (I’d bet this is a VO splice from elsewhere.)

D IN MANSION: Boys, I have something for you. (Jeremy first one there, then Paul and Graham; all get dressed for dude ranch.)
    JASON: The guys are pumped up to go. I was jealous. Any opportunity to spend time with her is a good opportunity.
    BRIAN: Maybe I can rope a chicken and trade it for a pretty nice red rose. (Classic line. Dunno Brian. But your goose may be cooked )
    Note from SO: Coming out of the mansion, Jeremy first, then Graham not wearing or carrying a hat, and Paul wearing his own hat. SO notes that Jeremy is like Velcro!
    JESSE: I definitely think that today Jeremy is going to be the biggest competition. He’s the top dog. He hasn’t had to come down to the Outhouse. Everyone wants to bring that dude down. Any chance I get to come between he and DeAnna, I’m definitely going to step up and do that. (And he does just that from here on out. He’s completely zeroed in on Jeremy.)

D AT BARN: Jeremy out of the van first. Moves quickly to hug her. Jesse close behind him. Before dancing begins, sitting with D, Jesse is on her left and Jeremy on her right. During dance lesson, Graham in baseball cap (what up with that?) and Jesse next to D.
    FRED PI: I’ve got the jeans and the buckle, the only thing missing for me is the rose. (Foreshadow to Ellen.)
    D DANCING: Amusing actually. Shot of Graham staring directly at her caboose, then shot of Jeremy.
    JEREMY: She’s a natural. She got out there and made us all look silly. (At the end of her dance, another shot of Graham and Jeremy.)

JASON TO TY: I got a flower. Five? Okay. I’m gonna work on getting as many as I can. I love you.
    JASON: I’ve sacrificed the biggest thing in my life for love. I can’t put into words how much I miss Ty, but DeAnna is a fantastic person and I would love to get to know her better. And the only way for me to get to know DeAnna better is to get a rose tonight. If the date doesn’t go well or me having a child is too heavy, I’m going home. That’s real. (Major foreshadow here. The rose reference with Ty in particular.)

BULL RIDING: Sean first, then Graham, Jeremy, Twilley, Jesse.
    D: Jesse’s always winning the competitions. Jesse was definitely the mechanical bull of the day. (If Jesse is deceiving her on some level the bull line is rather hilarious )
    D FAKE INJURY: Interesting to watch in slo-mo. Actually Jeremy is the first to move, then Jesse and Fred with Sean and Twilley also on the mat. Jeremy is holding a cup which he doesn’t ditch, so Jesse and Fred get to D first. Jesse and Fred help her up, but she only credits Jesse. Jeremy manages not to spill a drop of his drink and Ron is cut in shown as not budging. (Strike one for Ron.)
    JESSE 1-1: D wants to establish if there’s a romantic connection or just friends.
    D: Why are you still single?
    JESSE: Explains that the girlfriend he broke up with introduced herself as “Jesse’s girlfriend.” “I want a Deanna. Someone who has their own title… not an arm doll.” “…I definitely do want to live with someone,” and then it digressed to the farting pooping dialog. “I want DeAnna to see me as the genuine guy I am.” (They hug.) “I got to show her my serious side and the longer I’m here I think she’ll get to know that, and hope the longer I’ll be around.” (They hold hands while walking with the moon in the bg.)
    PROMO BEFORE BREAK: Eleven men (Graham, Sean, Paul, Jesse). Nine roses (Graham, Jesse, Ron, Twilley).

ROUND THE CAMPFIRE: The Twilley song tanks. Graham still not wearing cowboy hat.
    RON 1-1: Very tense. She tells him: “I heard you didn’t just confront me but Jeremy as well.” (She get that from Jeremy or perhaps Brian?) D is clearly on the defensive. Ron discusses how he’s a “man’s man,” and that “iron sharpens iron,” and that ultimately it’s “about you.” Edit is extremely choppy with all of Ron’s convos. Awkward ending again.
    CAMPFIRE: Ron returns, and after prodding tells the group that his chat with D was about Jeremy.
    RON TO JEREMY: I do think you lack something, brother. There’s a level of tact that is missing, and she asked me about it. And I really believe this is not a judgment on you. (Ruh roh ) Note: When Ron explains that he told D he was a “man’s man” Jesse gives him the nug, he appears to be the one sitting next to Ron.
    JEREMY TO RON: I thought you were being sincere. You had me until that last sentence… and you’re just trying to BS all of us with that last comment. (Testosterone starts flying.) It’s about me personally. How could that not be about me personally? That entire conversation was about me. I think the only person that is close-minded is you.
    TWILLEY: Thank the gods for Twilley! He tries to temper the situation by saying that Ron’s being a bit harsh but “there’s a lot of wisdom to Ron.”
    JEREMY: I’m just questioning his tact. (Ron tries to incite support from the others. It appears that Twilley, Jesse, Paul, Ron, Jeremy, Fred, and Graham are present.)
    JEREMY PI: I think Ron gets a little bit full of himself. He sees his way and only his way. I’m here to get to know DeAnna as well as I can, not get in a pissing contest with Ron.
    JEREMY 1-1: She asks if he’s okay, and if he’s mad that she said something to Ron. Jeremy says no. D admits she brought it up because it wasn’t Ron’s place. She leans into Jeremy.

ROBERT TO GUYS: If Jeremy gets the rose tonight, and I think I speak for everyone here, it would be a hard blow for all of us (shot of Sean, Paul).
    SNEAK ATTACK: Fred and Graham go for a sneak attack on D and Jeremy.
    D TO JEREMY: You’re different than all the other guys. They’re like best friends and pals.
    JEREMY: They’re strange because they do want to bond. It’s not what I’m here for, and I guess that’s part of the price you pay for a situation like this. (Fred and Graham burst in. Jeremy leaves. Fred talks to D while Graham sits next to her, head down, playing with hay.)
    ROBERT TO GUYS: If I don’t get pulled out for a one-on-one. If she doesn’t show interest, send me on a plane now. I just want you guys to know that if she’s not feeling it, I’m not going to be one of those guys who’ll take up a spot and kill it for somebody else. (Foreshadow here for potential boot.)
    D returns to the campfire and pulls Robert out for one-on-one. Rob discusses their chemistry and how he felt it on the first night, but he hasn’t since then. D remarks that they haven’t had enough alone time.
    ROBERT: Right now I can’t feel my fingertips, and I’d like to see where it could go. (D has a forced smile. Doesn’t bode well for Bobby Boy. But back at the campfire, D gives him the rose. Jesse is first to pat him on the shoulder.)
    ROBERT: Bobby Boy’s moving up to the big house. (And likely to a SC death-by-lack-of-rose verdict.)

DATEBOX: Robert reads the note proclaiming that on Jason’s date he’ll be reaching for the stars. Jesse is again next to Jason and is the first one to pat him on the shoulder. Funny line: “It could’ve said reach for your suitcase.”
    Another Jesse/Jason interaction worthy of note: After securing the date, Jason seeks advice from Jesse, referring to him as “the devil.” Then he restates it as the “devil’s advocate,” asking how D will react to hearing about Ty.
    JESSE: Fifty percent of her’s gonna love it. Fifty percent of her’s not gonna love it. (Add that to Jesse’s 95 percent certainty that Richard was getting a rose. )
    JASON PI: I don’t know if she’s ready to be a part of someone who’s got a child. That’s a huge thing. And that’s only something she can answer.

LATER AT THE OUTHOUSE: The guys are with Jason and D waiting for the chopper. D notes that they’re slobs. Jesse is again near Jason. When the chopper arrives Jason says: “I’m sorry guys, I might never come back.” The entire group walks up the hill. Jesse is directly behind Jason. (Note: Any perceived frontrunner has Jesse quietly stalking them.) As they leave:
    JEREMY: I’ll see you when you get home, DeAnna. (Possessive much?)
    All the guys are waving goodbye save for Twilley and Jeremy who’s got both hands in his pockets. In the chopper, Jason and D get comfy cozy.
    JASON: Did you ever think you’d be doing something like this?
    D: Never. I don’t know what to say right now.
    JASON PI: I think there’s a ton of chemistry and physical attraction.
    EDITING NOTE: D exited the chopper wearing the green shirt ensemble. The next shot shows them entering the observatory and she’s wearing the scarf and brown leather jacket. The next shot on the balcony, the scarf is missing and still missing at dinner.
    D VO: The date is going really well. I like what I know about Jason so far and I’m looking forward to getting to know more. I really don’t have anything that I don’t like about Jason. I guess tonight will tell.

OUTHOUSE CAMPFIRE: Robert surmises that all night D will be thinking about whether or not she’s ready to be a mother. Sean’s had several girlfriends with children and it’s not a big deal to him.
    JESSE: I’m the devil’s advocate. I always am, and I always will be. I’m thinking that after she thinks about it, maybe DeAnna will cherry pick the group. “Hey, this is a great guy, but I feel these other four guys are less work but just equally a great guy.” (Another possible major foreshadow for Jesse.)
    VO: It all depends what DeAnna wants. (Possible splice from another scene. Can’t make out the voice. The fact that it’s inserted here makes me suspicious.)

JASON TOAST: I hope you find exactly what you’re looking for. You deserve it. (Jason then tells D about Ty.) My family is the most important thing in the world to me, but the mot important thing in my world is my three-year-old son. I’m a single dad… It’s a lot to throw at you. He’s my buddy. You would love him. Everybody does. (His face lights up when he discusses Ty. What’s odd is that when she’s asking what he likes doing with Ty, she’s still eating. Choppy! Jason dated his ex for five years, was married for several years. When Ty was one, the wife went a different direction.)
    JASON: Will you tell me more about your Mom? (D explains, then he asks what the first thing is that comes to mind when she thinks of her. She mentions that no one she’s ever dated ever asked about her mother.)
    JASON: Why not?
    D: Because they probably weren’t the right ones. (Yet another foreshadow for Jason. He gets the rose.)
    JASON PI: I really want to be here to get to know DeAnna better.
    JASON (at the telescope): Would it be inappropriate to ask if I could kiss you?
    D: No.
    JASON: May I? (We all know how D answered. )
    PROMO BEFORE BREAK: (They keep changing the shots.) Eleven men (Jeremy, Ron). Only nine (Jesse) roses (Paul). Who will lose their chance to marry (Graham, Sean, Paul, Jesse) DeAnna forever?

AT MANSION: Leaving for Ellen, Jeremy is directly behind D, with Graham and Paul further behind. When they arrive at the Outhouse, Jeremy remains right next to her when she hugs Robert. Even when announcing her plans to the guys, Jeremy puts his arm briefly around her waist. Jesse, however, keeps close proximity. In the limo, Jesse is to her right, Jason next to him, and it looks like Jeremy’s white shirt to her left. In the green room, Jesse is next to D.
    D: She (Ellen) is a very good judge of character (Jesse). She sees through people (Graham, Jeremy, then Ron).
    ON THE SHOW: Fred is very excited. Jeremy has a habit of slapping and rubbing his hands together. Fred scores on the “what’s good about D” Q&A. Ron’s had the longest relationship at twelve years, Graham the shortest at five months. The guys each take turns dancing. Ellen announces she’s giving the rose. D and Ellen look at a picture collage. Ellen thinks Fred was cute and adorable when dancing. Jeremy seems the most ready to commit to D. The most fun is Jesse, and Graham is scared to death.
    D: I know. I don’t know how to make that stop.
    ELLEN: If there was a problem, communication would be a hard thing for him. I see how scared he is.
    D PI: She showed me some warning signs I need to take very seriously. (Ellen points to a picture and states that she can’t see “him” lasting long. Many surmise she was indicating Ron.)
    DROP ‘EM BOYS! No comment other than WOW on Brian.
    FRED IS ROSY
    GRAHAM: I really feel the need to speak to her and let her in on who I am as a person. I don’t want it to end tonight before there’s an opportunity for her to know how I relate to people.

REWARD CHALLENGE NIGHT: The Outhouse boys enter. In the mansion, D is on the couch with Jeremy sitting close, Paul further away, and Graham standing. (Note: My SO has officially dubbed Jeremy VelcroMan!) D comments on Sean’s new haircut. She pulls Ron out for one-on-one time. (Insert editing dread emote.)
    D PI: Completely intrigued by him, but he seems more concerned with Jeremy and the other guys that he is with me. (She’s cold, but he doesn’t offer up his jacket. And so the death knell begins…)
    RON: He explains about how he felt that morning waking up thinking “she’s not my type of girl.” Then he got a case of the DeAnna’s. (Like many others I heard the “Dions.” Wha? Celine Dion? Titanic?) He tells her he’s engaged in the process and would love to stay if she’ll keep him. D wants to know something fun about him.
    RON: Everything about me is fun. (Horrid editing here. Feel bad for Ron. Seriously. Awkward pause and weird smiles. Then Jeremy enters.)
    IN THE MANSION: Jesse’s watching with eagle eye. He’s the first one to the window hoping for a potential confrontation. Fred is right on his heels. Also Robert and Twilley. Sean moves toward the window but then turns and walks away. No sign of Jason, Brian, or Paul. Jeremy skirts D away.
    D VO: Thank you very much. (Potential splice. Could’ve come from anywhere.)
    IN THE MANSION: Jesse immediately tells Ron to “fill him in.” They move to sit down (Jesse, Rob, Ron, and Fred. Twilley quickly walks away). In Ron’s mid-sentence they cut to the couch and Sean is now sitting next to Ron.
    RON PI: He (Jeremy) absolutely lacks integrity (shot of Jeremy putting his jacket on D), and unless Jesus himself comes down and smacks him on the head and gets him right, it’s not gonna change.

JEREMY 1-1: Jeremy goes on about their chemistry and complete connection. He then asks about her moving. “Is Dallas a place you would consider?” She reiterates that she doesn’t really want to be away from her family, but she’s ready for a change. Something new.
    Interesting note from my SO: Jeremy’s moving query is very much salesman 101. He gets a small commitment from her and it’s a success. Smooth operator. Jesse did the same thing with the stay-at-home-dad lure.
    JEREMY: I’m not just here for the right reasons, I’m emotionally in it. I’m here as long as you keep me here. (He kisses her.)
    BACK IN THE MANSION: Jeremy joins Ron, Graham, Jesse, Robert, and Jason. Rob asks how the one-one-one went. Jeremy answers that it was good. Someone asks about the kiss: “you kissed today.” Curious. Must’ve been a reference to Ellen. Can’t tell the voice but it sounds like Jesse. Robert definitely asks: “Was it a fireside kiss?” Jeremy won’t kiss and tell. Graham is seething. In a PI confesses he has trouble with her kissing the other guys.
    GRAHAM 1-1: D has concerns. Asks “Have you dated enough to know what you want?” Graham responds that he can’t change his dating history for her, but he does care for her and wants to explore things. “I’m trying to be more what you need.” (Shouldn’t he try to be more himself?) In this convo he’s more engaged, looking at her and stroking her hand.
    D: There’s an undeniable connection between us, but I can’t marry someone I know nothing about. (She leans in to kiss him. He pulls back. She pulls him in again.)
    Interesting observation from my SO regarding Graham’s edit: The above exchange coupled with his earlier comment about “allowing” her to participate in the process gave my SO cause to think Graham’s underlying edit smacks of control freak via his possessiveness. Intriguing, eh?

IN THE MANSION: D pulls Jason outside to give him the star certificate. He’s overwhelmed.
    JASON: That’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever given me.
    D: I just wanted you to know that I’m okay with it all. (She’s wearing his coat. He kisses her.)
    JASON PI: She cares about me being a dad and she cares about my happiness, and that’s all I need to know right now. (Suggests that he’ll be around to know more later?)

ROSE CEREMONY
    CH enters. D is on the couch between Jesse and Fred. Jeremy is next to Jesse.
    JESSE: There isn’t a dude here who doesn’t have a rose on his coat who isn’t freaking out about tonight.
    In private, CH asks D about the various guys:
    Brian: Brian is so nice. Great guy. Very caring and loving, but every time Brian and I talk, at some point in the conversation he’s always talking about the other guys. (Can you say doomed?)
    Twilley: He’s a great guy. He’s got a great head on his shoulders. I just can’t figure out if he’s too over the top for me.
    Jesse: Jesse’s definitely different from any guy I’ve ever dated, but it seems every time I sit and talk with Jesse my mind changes more and more and more. He’s just a fantastic person and the more the I talk to him, the more I realize we have a lot in common.
    Graham: My main focus for the night was to get him to stop from being so shy and let his guard down. I feel like we made a good step toward that tonight. (D seems awfully determined to keep Graham in the game.)
    Jeremy: (He isn’t crossing the cocky line.) I like confidence in a man. If he can be in a situation with all these guys and still feel confident he’s gonna walk away with me in the end that says a lot about a person.
    Ron: It’s strange. None of our conversations have gone really well. Ron seems to always go into depth. He’s a motivational speaker. I’m not really sure what to take of everything that he says. (No reprieve from the governor coming on this one. Yikes.)
    Jason: Jason is a really nice guy. His son is the most important person in his life. I had a star named after his son and gave it to him, and that, no matter what, that was something special he can always hang onto. If I ended up with Jason, I don’t just get Jason and his his son, I also get his ex-wife, who will always be there. And I’d like to think that I’m a strong enough person that I think enough to accept his hand in marriage than I know it’s okay. I know his son is important to him but I’d also be the number one woman in his life.
    There’s no mention of her opinions of Robert, Sean, Fred, or Paul.
    Robert, Jason, and Fred are already safe. Order of roses given and reaction shots (likely edited to hell):
    1. Twilley (Paul, Jesse, Jeremy, Graham)
    2. Jesse (Sean, Ron)
    3. Jeremy (Ron, Paul, Graham)
    4. Brian (Ron, Sean, Ron, Paul, Sean)
    5. Graham (Sean, Ron, Paul, Sean)
    6. Sean (Ron, Paul, Ron, Paul)

PAUL: I was at a stage where I was starting to fall in love with DeAnna. (Oh dear…Group hug for the Canuck)
    RON: I don’t feel rejected. I don’t feel like I lost. Sometimes the tree gets knocked down before it gets to bear its fruit. That’s how it is. That’s the nature of the universe. I said from the beginning that it was always about her finding the man of her dreams. If Jeremy is the guy for her, I wish them the best. But I would say that it’s absolutely doomed for failure. DeAnna tonight didn’t reject me. She chose other guys. That’s what happened. She didn’t reject me. She chose other guys.
    FINAL TOAST: D with Jesse on one side of her and Jeremy on the other. She praises all of them for “putting themselves out there.” (Cut to Jason smiling.) “Let’s get to know each other better (Jeremy and Graham). Let’s fall in love (Jeremy).

NEXT SCENES:
    VO: I’d rather be digging my own grave than what I’m about to do right now. (With the drawl it sounds like Graham.)
    Song singing. Speedway date.
    GRAHAM: It remains hard for me.
    D: That’s why when you and I have this time you can’t hold back.
    GRAHAM: I didn’t. (Choppy edit)
    D: It takes away from me and you.
    GRAHAM: Sometimes I just don’t feel like it’s just me and you. (Possessive and lack of control? Hmm…)
    Beddingfield date. Looks to be Jesse as confirmed by SC.
    OUTHOUSE PARTY NIGHTMARE: This just sounds wrong on so many levels
    D: I put my whole heart into this (Robert) and only half of you (Graham) put yourselves out there (Jeremy, Brian). If you guys can’t handle it go home! (Alrighty then!)

Whew! That’s the whole enchilada! *THUD*

absolutely great job, there is more than one thing that you said, but
    i am only going to say this one thing about graham when he and deanna
    are talking toward the last and he says thats he doesnt feel that it just and you me and you stated possessive and lack of control you hit it.unfortunatly

Thats awesome. Thanks Piper

FORT Fogey

Original Post:
    http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ml#post3041999

Wow, Piper, just a "wow" to you, girl!
    My forte is an analysis of the editing, the manner that it often relates to back episodes, the use of literary devices, the tracking orders, and what I have garnered through the seasons from what I have read and some inside sources, but I can not hold a candle to you. Props and kudos where they are deserved. Keep this stuff coming, please!!

I think it is important again for all of us to remember that it is not about what may have actually happened at all but what the editing shows that is important because the editing is pointing to the end result.

That said, I would like to add to what you have said. However, I am terribly geeky on the computer and do not know how to bring multiple replies over in those blue boxes, so I will have to bring your quotes over, bold them, and then reply to them.

OPENER RECAP:
    Brad recap. Then the guys heading out of the limos in ep one.
    D: “I truly feel (camera on Brian) like the luckiest (Graham) person in the world (Jason) right now

This week I watched B2 Aaron's season onVH1 for the first time, and during the upcoming previews everytime they said, "Who will go home brokenhearted?" they zeroed in on Brooke, F2.

I am looking for hints like that concerning Jason and Jesse. Look at this one!!

RON TO JEREMY: You lack something brother. There’s a level of tact (camera on Jesse).

AT THE MAGIC DATE:
    CH: Jason stole the show (he and D in the box) Notice the wording..."Jason stole the show". Possible foreshadowing for the whole show?

In this episode, Jason is shown positively (in big and small ways), and Jesse is shown negatively ( mostly in subtle ways but many):

JASON PI: Living in the Outhouse is a big disadvantage in regard to building an emotional connection. What will make a big difference is if I finally get to go on a date with her - Notice that often even when we hear Jason expressing doubt about something, it comes out a positive!!

LATER AT THE OUTHOUSE: The guys are with Jason and D waiting for the chopper. When the chopper arrives Jason says: “I’m sorry guys, I might never come back.” This is one of their competitors!! How nice can a guy get?????

JASON TO TY: I got a flower. Five? Okay. I’m gonna work on getting as many as I can. I love you.
    JASON: I’ve sacrificed the biggest thing in my life for love. I can’t put into words how much I miss Ty, but DeAnna is a fantastic person and I would love to get to know her better Major edit of loving father who has tried to explain to son in terms he can understand ( getting "flowers" if you progress) that he is trying to find the love to complete his family.
    Then we have the entire date where Jason is empathy personified, and where we see them bond because De has suffered the lost of a mother and Jason has suffered the loss of a wife (a mother there for his child) - major emotional connection

On the other hand, the edit appears to be negatively showing Jesse in the following often subtle ways:

JESSE AT OUTHOUSE: He (Rich) has a 95 percent chance of coming home. I think he’s getting a rose The edit appears to want to show in light of what we now know that maybe Jesse shows poor judgement.

JESSE: I’m the devil’s advocate. I always am, and I always will be. I’m thinking that after she thinks about it, maybe DeAnna will cherry pick the group. “Hey, this is a great guy, but I feel these other four guys are less work but just equally a great guy.” Another example of poor judgement as we know that she let go of at least 23 of other guys for Jason? In light of what we now know, does this foreshadow how little Jesse really knows about women??? Is the foreshadowing indicating too much confidence?

JESSE: Explains that the girlfriend he broke up with introduced herself as “Jesse’s girlfriend.” “I want a Deanna. Someone who has their own title… not an arm doll.” “…I definitely do want to live with someone,” and then it digressed to the farting pooping dialog. “I want DeAnna to see me as the genuine guy I am.” Note the difference in the way that the editing is showing Jesse and Jason to come across - Jason as pleasant , concerned, and doubtful but hopeful about the outcome - Jesse as crude, competitive, wrong in his judgements.

JESSE: I definitely think that today Jeremy is going to be the biggest competition. He’s the top dog. He hasn’t had to come down to the Outhouse. Everyone wants to bring that dude down. Any chance I get to come between he and DeAnna, I’m definitely going to step up and do that. (And he does just that from here on out. He’s completely zeroed in on Jeremy.) The "aggressive" competitor edit is starting. While we had Shayne show the competitor edit, she was always shown wanting to get Matt's attention back on her not to annilate the competition (aggression) - that's the difference.

D AT BARN: Jeremy out of the van first. Moves quickly to hug her. Jesse close behind him We begin to see a series of shots where Jesse "keeps his friends close and his enemies closer." Even though he is the first to congratulate someone ( good sportmanship for the pro competitor that he is), master competitor strategist as well.

DATEBOX: Robert reads the note proclaiming that on Jason’s date he’ll be reaching for the stars. Jesse is again next to Jason and is the first one to pat him on the shoulder

LATER AT THE OUTHOUSE: The guys are with Jason and D waiting for the chopper. Jesse is again near Jason. The entire group walks up the hill. Jesse is directly behind Jason. (Note: Any perceived frontrunner has Jesse quietly stalking them.)

Note: When Ron explains that he told D he was a “man’s man” Jesse gives him the nug, he appears to be the one sitting next to Ron.At this point, Ron is the house's leader of the pack, and Jesse is right there beside him to encourage him bringing down the competition.

IN THE MANSION: Jesse’s watching with eagle eye. He’s the first one to the window hoping for a potential confrontation (between Ron and De) IN THE MANSION: Jesse immediately tells Ron to “fill him in.”

Again, in light of what we were shown last week and what we have recently found out, I repeat this one edited scene which I think is shown to us specifically and ironically for a purpose:

JESSE:
    “…I definitely do want to live with someone,” and then it digressed to the farting pooping dialog. “I want DeAnna to see me as the genuine guy I am.” (They hug.) “I got to show her my serious side and the longer I’m here I think she’ll get to know that, and hope the longer I’ll be around.”

Again, I have to repeat, we all know it is all about the editing and what they are trying to say to us. They already know the ending, so what are they trying to point out along the way that will indicate the ending?

Thanks again, Piper!
    Last edited by hepcat; 06-07-2008 at 11:09 PM.

FORT Fogey

I also thought that Pipers notes from episode one and two were very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperMaru;3037291;
    Thanks for the welcome Bizbach! ‘Preciate it. So the bad word on this board is Fleiss? Duly noted. Taking this from a Survivor standpoint there are several things that have stuck out in this trio of eps. It seemed rather a given which of the first ten were goners due to utter lack of screen time, wild antics, and the body language DeAnna exhibited. The wolf howl dude. *SHUDDER* But several of these guys showed staying power with subdued initial edits and quick face shots, Jason, Jeremy, and Graham in particular, and to a lesser extent, Sean, Jesse, and Richard. Ryan from minute one was getting a lot of facetime, which in Suvivorland indicates an early boot. He just looked like trouble and contrary to his straight-lace lifestyle seemed to be primed for a villain edit. The same for Ron and possibly even Robert, although Robert’s didn’t appear to be a malicious edit. (Although who knows what we didn’t see!). Jeremy could likewise become a villain if for no other reason than his actions continue to alienate him. I also wonder on the outside if Brian has "stir the pot" potential. I found it interesting that DeAnna mentioned that when they're together he's always talking about the other guys. Insecurity or sabotage?

Just for the heck of it, I went back to look at my ep one and two notes taken during the show (old habits die hard methinks!):

Ryan: Straight-laced faith-based guy. Potential for stirring the pot. Gone quick.
    Ron: Curious. Long-term committer. My way or the highway kind of guy. Potential troublemaker. Likely gone early.
    Brian: Quiet. Virtually no edit. Likely middle of the road. Depends on his level of commitment. No money shots.
    Jeremy: Smooth mover. Potential player. Doesn’t play well with others. Obvious attraction. Lack of sincerity or ego could do him in. Big edit. Potential F4.
    Sean: Ego. Desperate for alone time. Resorts to physical display. Little facetime. More later if he survives initial cuts. Possible middle of the road.
    Jason: Major background force. Why bring son into the mix if not F4? Cute, unassuming. Waiting to strike when iron is hot. Possible F2 on sincerity. Major money shot.
    Twilley: Resident crazy. Getting the “misunderstood and underappreciated” stalker edit. Likely middle of the road. Must have some substance we don’t see.
    Eric: Doomed. Nice beginning with the Greek chatter. Is that important to her? Can’t ride on that alone. Too much wedding planning!
    Fred: Seems nice. Non-threatening. Likely middle of the road.
    Robert: Keep the chef! Seems straightforward but a bit unsure. Guarded or doesn’t play well with others?
    *Note: My father’s a chef. Mom hasn’t had to cook for fifty years. Not a bad choice!
    Paul: Daring. Young. A bit desperate. Not for the long haul. DeAnna not into the hug.
    Jesse: X-Games dude. Risk taker. Thinks before acting. Something not quite right. Different enough to intrigue. Possible F4 if there’s substance.
    Chris: A bit desperate. Probably good to his mother. Not a standout. Can’t sing to save his life.
    Richard: Dark horse. Seems quiet but intellectual. F5 potential? Or run over by better game players?
    Graham: Obvious chemistry but risky. Serious lack of communication skills. Bad edit? Seems her most serious attraction. Possible F4. Only guy she deems “hot.”

Those were my initial assessments of the first two eps. Jason had the “major money shot” when DeAnna issued something about one of them being her husband and the camera went to Jason. In Survivor terms, a major shot like that was usually a 60/40 chance that person was F2 and over 70/30 winner. Reminded me of the All-Star season where Rob and Amber’s team won an early challenge. All had lit torches. Amber raised hers last and the camera focused on it. We called her potential winner at that point. Didn’t always pay off, of course, as Burnett caught on. But it helped with spec.

IMHO, Jeremy seems to be getting the setup for “most hated” which seems to result in DeAnna being protective and generous with the blooms. Certainly backfired for Ron in ep three, but they’re playing it up. Graham’s edit is showing as somewhat unstable (in my useless opinion), whether that gets resolved and he becomes hero or falls apart, I’ve no clue, not having read anything yet. Jason really seems to be at the good end of a “knight in shining armor” edit. In particular, his refusal to monopolize DeAnna’s time after already having a date with her. Big points for that and intentionally shown to us. By contrast, Jeremy didn’t have that sense of restraint. Jesse’s the weird one for me. I know diddly about the guy. (Are others feeling it?), but something doesn’t set well. Maybe it’s just that he’s not my type, but his interactions with DeAnna seem very scripted for lack of better word. Seems like a player to me. Why is he single? She was right to ask that.

As mentioned earlier, I need to explore the board, as I’ve no idea how much you fine folks have spec’d out already. Just my silly two cents. (Many pardons for the verbosity. Didn’t realize I went on so long!) So where on the board should I start perusing?

Thanks!
    Piper

FORT Fogey

Now, for a couple of questions.

When you say a money shot, or, a major money shot, what do you mean by that and is there a difference between the two?

Also, you put in parentheses who the camera was on while something else was going on. What does this mean?
    1. Twilley (Paul, Jesse, Jeremy, Graham)
    2. Jesse (Sean, Ron)
    3. Jeremy (Ron, Paul, Graham)
    4. Brian (Ron, Sean, Ron, Paul, Sean)
    5. Graham (Sean, Ron, Paul, Sean)
    6. Sean (Ron, Paul, Ron, Paul)

Canada's High Arctic, on the Arctic Ocean

Lynn I really appreciate you moving over Bloomers post as well as Pipers first few! They are all so informative and fantastic and I really hope that Piper and Bloomers will keep it up for future episodes, and I really appreciate the work and time involved. And others that know about editing and devious, manipulative tricks should of course chime in! I would have moved the posts here, but I don't even know how to post a SC let alone move posts from one thread to another. There needs to be a FORT INSTRUCTIONS FOR DUMMIES thread!

This thread is a great idea....and wow, those posts just showed so much I had missed. I remember in Andy's season when Forestpal would talk of editiing and such...it really helped. I rewatched this episode and couldn't get over how much I noticed now with Piper and Bloomers editing info helping...I am watching the shows with new eyes....and different 'ears" through your vision of the BLA Lynn. Thanks. BTW...is that you in your avatar..inquiring minds want to know.
    Karey

Quote Originally Posted by coltinfan;3042649;
    absolutely great job, there is more than one thing that you said, but
    i am only going to say this one thing about graham when he and deanna
    are talking toward the last and he says thats he doesnt feel that it just and you me and you stated possessive and lack of control you hit it.unfortunatly
    First of all GREAT JOB.

This is in response to the above quote. I really do not see Graham as being possessive, Jeremy has that covered. Lack of control? I don't see that either, I see frustration. From what I have seen (IMO) I see Graham telling DeAnna exactly how he feels, what he wants, how wonderful she is, the same as ALL the other men. She seems to be pushing him more, she wants him to say something, where she can really let her guard down and know that she will not get her heart broken by him. Her heart is with Graham now and she is his to lose. I think she is pushing him too hard, unlike any other man there including Jason and Jeremy.

FORT Fan

Wow. Piper that was fantastic! I have to say after reading all that I like Jeremy less. Sort of Eddie Haskellish IMO.