Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To sleuth or not to sleuth?

Re: To sleuth or not to sleuth?

I'll take a different angle from most of you:
    This show isn't good enough to watch without sleuthing.

Seriously, it's so missable. Especially this last season, which was junk. Fleiss even took some of the joy out of the sleuthing by feeding us too much. He forgot the first rule from the first minute from the first class in Storytelling 101: tension creates drama, and without drama, you have no story. He had no tension, no drama, no story in Season 12. It was way over-telegraphed even to people who didn't sleuth. So that took even more fun out of it, and had it not been for the discussions here, there would have been no point in watching, at least in this household.

The move from lurking, which I did for several years, to posting, which I began with Matt's season, made a huge difference, too. It was a net positive, however. Without this site, I have no incentive to make it "appointment television."

So I'm in for Deanna's season. Definitely in.
    Bring on The Mole!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetElvira;3006788;

Seriously, it's so missable. Especially this last season, which was junk. Fleiss even took some of the joy out of the sleuthing by feeding us too much. He forgot the first rule from the first minute from the first class in Storytelling 101: tension creates drama, and without drama, you have no story. He had no tension, no drama, no story in Season 12. It was way over-telegraphed even to people who didn't sleuth. So that took even more fun out of it, and had it not been for the discussions here, there would have been no point in watching, at least in this household.

The move from lurking, which I did for several years, to posting, which I began with Matt's season, made a huge difference, too. It was a net positive, however. Without this site, I have no incentive to make it "appointment television."

Good morning Elvira glad to see you back. I'll be watching for your posts as I always enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetElvira;3006788;

I totally agree with your bolded statement.. I really hope DeAnna's season is better than last..

Zinnia's Sleuthing Manifesto

First, were it not for sleuthing, I wouldn't continue watching this show. At first it was a novelty, but after that, I realize it is just trash TV.

Second, I enjoy playing The Bachelor : The Home Game. I'm not really competing against the other entrants in the RCG. (I've played every season, and never won any prize, not even a weekly gift bag.) I'm competing, head-to-head, against Fleiss & Co. They come up with the most convoluted, misleading, chopped up story that they can. My job is to see through the smoke and mirrors to find out what really happened. I'm not really good at using spoilers. I can't easily tell a true leak from a rumor. But I love puzzles. I use deductive reasoning to find the answers. I may not spend as many hours pouring over screencaps, but I take it all in and come up with my hypothesis as to who wins, and eventually fill in the evidence as the show goes on.

Third, it's a hobby. While none of my close friends or family share it, I've met a bunch of kindred spirits online, who share my hobby.

Fourth, other reality shows are horrible for sleuthing. Survivor and The Amazing Race have some who sleuth the shows, but the previews stink. And just forget American Idol or Dancing With The Stars.

Fifth, this show is great for sleuthing. The best part of The Bachelor(ette), to me, is when Chris Harrison says "This season on The Bachelor" and the previews roll. Pre-seasons haven't been so great, but B11 & B12 pre-seasons were incredible. B11 sleuthing started in June, and continued all summer. B12 sleuthing started in January and continued all winter. Those pre-seasons were great fun. Except for December, I've been sleuthing continously (or at least sporadically) since June. Pre-season I may only check in a couple of times a week. But once the hardcore sleuthing begins, I'm there.

Sixth, I'm pretty good at sleuthing. I've gotten the F4 early on every season since Blob, except Charlie's. (I missed the FRC order only once, but only because I stopped sleuthing, thinking I had it.) It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the show knowing who's going home. It allows me to concentrate on the main stories. Such as in Meredth's season. I knew it would be Ian before the Chinatown 1-on-1 date. That allowed me to pay attention. I got to see things that casual viewers complained weren't even shown. I saw it again with Shayne and Matt. I'm not saying they're for real, but I did see the romance. I realize it was on TV. How often is a real romance shown on TV? I enjoyed B12 either way. Sleuthing made that possible. The answers are always given (except for Charlie's season), so as long as I look in the right places and give the right weight to the evidence, I win.
    Is it too much to ask for some reality in reality TV?

I'm still planning on sleuthing. I did, however, promise myself to watch at least the 1st episode without the benefit of any spoilers or information about the show, so I steered clear of any websites/message boards pertaining to The Bachlorette until today. Heck, I didn't even look at the guys' bios or pictures before the show just so I could form opinions without any outside influences or preconceived ideas of what to expect.

That being out of the way, let the games begin!!!

amen, this show is so boring w/o sleuthing, at least we are getting longer episodes this time around so maybe we will see meaningful conversations and interaction, I like the twists though I think the open shower and underwear on Ellen are over the top

I hope this season is better than, thewomanwhoshallnotbenamed season.
    What's the Great Conjunction? You tell me!

FORT Fogey

After B12 season I thought I could stay away from the boards, but I can't. It is too much fun to visit the FORT and I don't think I could watch the show without the FORT. But I am not reading every message. Just coming on here to see what you all have figured out. So I am not really doing any sleuthing. I don't want to get overly involved with the actual show until I come here and see what you all know. I taped the first episode and watched it later.

I enjoy watching the show 'with' you all.
    Last edited by onlyme; 05-23-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Sleauth!

I am not a sleather at all but I absolutely command all of the sleauthers who do such a great job with it and I love reading all about it.

I see sleuthing as a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you get to know the F4 or F3 before the first episode even airs and the excitement of analyzing all the different screencaps of the season previews/commercials. On the other hand, knowing the F4 or F2 already takes the fun out of guessing who you think DeAnna will choose at each rose ceremony without benefit of prior knowledge. I started lurking at the FoRT during HDDA's season and I was totally addicted. I couldn't stay off the boards because I wanted to see all the super-sleuthers pick apart the screencaps and getting everyone's opinions. This season, I am still excited about seeing who DeAnna will ultimately choose, but I think some of the interest is gone due to my sleuthing addiction. Sigh...ignorance is definitely bliss.
    "Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." ~ Jim = Dwight

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345