Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: LRSC Field Reports

Little Red Sleuth Coupe! in2deep's Avatar

Re: LRSC Field Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;3855870;
    In2Deep and LRSC - how is the weather out your way this time of year - and for the next couple of weeks?? Any idea?!?
    LRSC Log 031610 1445 hrs. - Weather Alert

Observations: Blue skies, no clouds. Temperature: 80 degrees, low in the high 40's. 10-day outlook: highs in the 70's, lows in the 40's. Music: Margaritaville... mood: on the beach in Mexico with a (what else?) margarita... slipping away...

Drove to work topless. LRSC pleaded to go the long route (which just happens to be past the mansion) "because it's so beautiful", but it turns a 12-minute drive into a 72 minute drive.... i2d had to put her foot down.

Indication of extreme weather: DUH picked up i2d for lunch today. Suggested blowing off work for the afternoon and heading to Santa Barbara. i2d reminded DUH that she must actually work some days, especially with all the recent hardware purchases...

Next Sunday 3/21 is the LA Marathon - should be great weather (perhaps a bit too warm, even). i2d will be at the finish line, throwing a party for our team. LRSC is too little to go - must take the big car to accommodate adequate party supplies.

LRSC invites any fellow sleuthers, lookers and lurkers to sunny Southern California! Spring flowers are in, and if you drive through the canyons, you'll likely see lupine and wild mustard. Ferraris are also in season - LRSC saw 4 of them on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in one day recently.

--30--
    Never put in writing anything you wouldn't mind seeing on the side of a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by mgauntt1;3855773;
    LOVE your playlist!!
    How about these to add in:

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing (Aerosmith)
    Who's Cheatin' Who (Alan Jackson)
    You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi)
    Something to Talk About (Bonnie Raitt)
    I'm Gonna Miss Her (Brad Paisley)
    Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm (C&C Music Factory)
    Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood)
    Got To Be Real (Cheryl Lynn)
    Hard Habit to Break (Chicago)

Just a few to keep you going!
    One more to add:

Red Rag Top (Tim McGraw)

Love these tunes!

LRSC Field Report 031710 Out to the beach!

i2d to DUH: I'm on my way home. Wouldn't it be a lovely day to just get in the car and drive out to the beach?
    DUH: I'm not sure what the corned beef will say about that.
    [i2d to self: meat has a say?? perplexed...] to DUH: Well, let's talk about it when I get home.

i2d: Wow, love, that corned beef smells delish! I could smell it the moment I opened the garage door! But I suppose we can't go out for a drive now. I was looking forward to finding a place on the beach to make out... [i2d very careful to omit rest of sentence... where that danged cliff is from the photog!]
    DUH: Hmmmm. That sounds niiice.
    LRSC has deleted three minutes of conversation relative to keeping corned beef hot without overcooking or becoming toxic.

LRSC in motion. DUH driving. i2d wearing scarf, sunglasses, hat, and thinking like a madwoman. Brain must remember photog's pics, and also take notes without the benefit of writing instruments or paper.
    i2d: Darling, wouldn't it be beautiful to drive out Malibu Canyon, drive up the coast and come in on Kanan Dume?
    DUH: Something like that.
    i2d: I know that I, somehow, really prefer driving north on PCH. Don't know why.
    DUH: Sigh... this is why I adore you so: we like the same things.

LRSC zoom-zooms through canyon. DUH points out the location of the most recent landslide. This makes both LRSC and i2d a bit nervous.

Highway 1: LRSC turns right. Yay, LRSC! Yay, DUH! LRSC is watching the road. DUH is watching the sunset. i2d is watching the coastline, looking for the bluffs.

The cliffs really look like Point Dume.

Locations:
    Malibu Bluffs Recreation area: possible, but might be difficult to get a crew down to the beach.
    Dan Blocker County Beach: limited access.
    Malibu Colony: too populated. plus, gates, gates, gates.
    Escondido Beach: a real possibility. The cliffs ahead look good.
    Paradise Cove: wonderful place, possible venue, but a b**ch to get in and out of. Not so good for crews, although many things have filmed there.

After Paradise Cove, on approach to Kanan Dume. i2d and LRSC think it might be lovely to turn in here for sleuthing purposes only.
    i2d: How you doin', Babe? Hand on DUH's thigh.
    DUH: I'm just floatin'. The sunset is beautiful. I just want to go a bit further. Not done driving yet.
    i2d: Sigh. You are such a romantic. Sigh. [DUH does not know the True Reason for i2d's sigh - it is because we have Passed the Road of Intent.]

1845 the highway goes inland from the bluffs. and then up the hill, and down to Zuma State Beach.
    LRSC is purring, and setting off the flashing lights on the speed limit signs.
    DUH drives, lost in the sunset over Anacapa Island (we think).
    i2d madly searching for the Cliffs. No cliffs. [btw, Malibu stretches all the way to the Ventura County Line.]

The next point of land that's a bit of a jut is Sequit Point. Probably not the right cliffs.
    Pass El Matador, La Piedra and El Pescador State Beaches. Not feelin' the vibe for these as being the photos. (Still haven't put the research that follows together).

Pass Decker Canyon. Turning right and traversing the mountains and numerous hairpin turns gets you to - TA DA - the Westlake Village Hyatt! But it's also a drive that requires a good bit of discipline to manage the twisty bits. LRSC would love to go, but it would knock DUH out of his zone.

LRSC notices sign: Ventura County.
    DUH notices the sunset getting prettier.
    i2d notices no further cliffs of the Right Kind.
    Leo Carrillo State Beach. This is Not It.
    Mugu Rock. This is definitely Not It.

Proceed 30 minutes further up the road.
    DUH: What do you want to do about dinner?
    i2d: I thought we'd hurry home. wink.

2020 (LRSC's new Favorite Time)
    DUH and i2d sit down to a lovely dinner. Corned beef, of course

DUH: Whatcha gonna do?
    i2d: You're working, so I'm setting up the laptop. Gonna do some research (on what, I'm not saying. He thinks it's hardware). And some playing.
    DUH: OK. Thank you for a lovely evening. We are so blessed.
    i2d: Indeed.

Results of research (DUH is still happily working, computer crashed once and i2d had to rewrite - grrr.):
    Here is a photo of Escondido Beach (sadly, not taken by i2d): http://www.visitusa.com/california/i...each-shore.jpg Just noticed that the photo from Jeff *does* include a short pier - that looks very much like the pier at Paradise Cove.
    We think it's a match.

For reference, at Point Dume State Park (where the road goes inland), the bluffs look like they are a match:
    http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9433815.jpg

We hope we have it!

Tomorrow night's episode: Leaving the House after 9 PM. Should be interesting. Stay tuned for the further adventures of LRSC! Just think: it's cheaper than a plane ticket to California. Good night, all.

i2d, I love your recaps! So entertaining.

And after looking at a ton of pics, I think I agree with you. I noticed that pier, too and started looking for something like that.
    Looking at the pic, doesn't it seem like they may be on a house on top of one of the cliffs? The sand looks farther down than if they were actually right ON the beach. Does that make sense? Maybe they are shooting at one of those big houses in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by CashFoSho;3857637;
    i2d, I love your recaps! So entertaining.

And after looking at a ton of pics, I think I agree with you. I noticed that pier, too and started looking for something like that.
    Looking at the pic, doesn't it seem like they may be on a house on top of one of the cliffs? The sand looks farther down than if they were actually right ON the beach. Does that make sense? Maybe they are shooting at one of those big houses in the area?

Cash, good evening!

I think it's Escondido Beach, and I thought it might be from Geoffrey's, but a) they probably wouldn't shut down for filming (they make a lot of money each evening), and b) the photo feels more residential than commercial... so, maybe you're on to something. VRBO has a lot of Malibu listings, but as you might guess, many of them say "no shoots."

(DUH announced that he's going to have someone look at our house as a location. Heaven help us all. )

Based on Google Maps' Satellite view (I don't have Google Earth installed), it seems like it's definitely the Paradise Cove area.

It could have been taken from one of several houses that you can see on the maps. Just too hard to tell which one, based on the angle of this photo compared to the photos on maps. Several in that area come up as for sale or rent, but none right on the beach that I saw.

Ok you guys have me addicted... downloading google earth

Quote Originally Posted by Noobslueth;3857738;
    Ok you guys have me addicted... downloading google earth
    Tell me about it! I basically never post on here, but I always lurk... day after day I find I must come back for my daily dose of Bach/ette sleuthing. It's seriously amazing how you all uncover what you do!

in2deep, I really look forward to your post after tonight's excursion with LRSC!

FORT Newbie

Looks to me like it was taken from overlook at Nichols Canyon county beach looking west towards Leo Carillo beach

Quote Originally Posted by WaltT60;3857784;
    Looks to me like it was taken from overlook at Nichols Canyon county beach looking west towards Leo Carillo beach
    Thanks, WaltT60. I was thinking this might be the case, but in a photo of Nichols Canyon Nicholas Canyon - 33850 Pacific Coast Hwy Malibu CA 90265 - CityVoter, there is no pier, and the beach seems different. The first four times I looked at the photo from Jeff, I didn't see the pier, either....

Escondido means hidden, for those of you who studied something other than Spanish in high school. I've never actually been to that beach, but am a frequent visitor to Paradise Cove (which we believe to be the location of the pier).

Keep on sleuthing, everyone! It keeps the juices flowing! (That's my excuse, anyway )