Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7/12 Show Discussion **NO SPOILERS**

Re: 7/12 Show Discussion **NO SPOILERS**

Ali really seems to like Frank, despite his insecurities and continual whining. And who wouldn't like Roberto - a very laid back and positive guy. Felt so bad for Kirk, but I knew Frank wasn't going anywhere. I love the way Chris interacts with Ali, and his maturity is evident as he seems to have this whole process in perspective. His reactions and responses seem so genuine.

It appears that Frank flakes out in the end (or so we are led to believe...) I would just be happy to see her make a go of it with either Roberto or Chris, and not necessarily become engaged - I don't know why this is even a goal anymore given the limited time they have together and the show's track record.

FORT Fogey

Ali does really seem to like Frank. Ali is as giddy as a schoolgirl around Roberto. Chris comes from a loving, non-dysfunctional family, but Ali doesn't seem particularly attracted to him.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;3979607;
    Roberto played collegiate & minor league baseball. He suited up because he took her to the baseball field where he played at the University of Tampa. He just wanted to surprise her. He also gave her his baseball card when he played for the NOrth Adams Steeplecats team which is a town away from where Ali is from. Roberto is Puerto Rican.
    Baseball is *my* sport, so I have to comment here. Roberto never played minor league baseball (which I refer to as MiLB, for short). He was drafted by two teams, but never signed. If he had signed, he would have likely gone to Rookie League with the opportunity to work his way upwards.

I'm still scratching my head as to why in his date he said that he played pro ball, or however exactly he worded it. He did not. Collegiate, yes. Pro ball, no. Collegiate baseball and Collegiate summer league teams (such as the Steeplecats) are not pro teams. The only thing I can think of is maybe he played for some Independent League team after college, which is technically pro, but not affiliated with MLB in any way, shape, or form. There has been no evidence of that that I've seen, however. Sounded like he was told to stretch the truth a bit there. Independent League teams are, generally speaking, full of scrubs. AKA people with some talent, but not enough to even cut it in the minors. Occasionally a decent player will come out of any given team, though and get traded to an MiLB team or MLB team for scraps. A former pitcher for my team came from the IL, and my MLB team traded a dozen bats and 2 dozen balls for him. Sad, eh?

And so ends the baseball lesson for the day. Sorry, I can't help myself; I just love *my* sport.

FORT Fogey

It likely was the producer's choice for Roberto to talk about his baseball past, to make him seem more desirable. Maybe that's the role the producer's wanted him to play: they would prefer an "almost" pro-baseball player to someone who has an average, ordinary job. Also, Justin stated in a recent interview that he hasn't wrestled in two years. I guess the producer's wanted him to "play the role" of a professional wrestler on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3981000;
    I'm still scratching my head as to why in his date he said that he played pro ball, or however exactly he worded it. He did not. Collegiate, yes. Pro ball, no.
    I thought the Roberto baseball thing was a little odd. Is that the only thing he can identify with? Does he crack out his uniform at any opportunity? I don't know, it's probably just me, but I thought the whole "I don't play baseball anymore but here I am in my uniform" was just weird. Like a little kid playing dress up.

Just guessing that he probably still WILL play baseball, just not on a MLB farm team anymore. The focus on baseball could've been TPTB's idea, or it could've been Roberto's, but it seemed like a good idea to me regardless of whose it was. Baseball is fun! And the uniforms are hot! And Ali loves athletics. And most importantly, at this point in his life baseball is probably the largest defining factor for him, the life experiences that were with him during his whole development as a person, the thing he identifies with. Playing some baseball with Ali is a way to have fun and reveal his past simultaneously.

This looked to me to be the best date of all four hometowns. Ali & Roberto were constantly all over each other! They were both unable to control themselves. I think the whole season of crap was worth it just to get to watch this date. I dunno who she'll end up with, and I dunno if A & R have enough similar goals to stay together longterm, but in the short term this is one HAPPY couple and it's so fun to watch! I wish we could've seen all the footage of their earlier dates this season, instead of just the snippets the producers allowed us to see.

Roberto's mom had some smokin' calves! And she sure looks young.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lisab0105;3987915;
    BWHAHAHAHA...ya all may think Roberto is next up for Sainthood...but he is still a MAN with a penis. Trust me, her pictures didn't turn him off. He may not have wanted to marry her...but I have no doubt he had no problem hanging around with her.
    Seriously. I'm kinda with Ali. I find it hard to believe that Roberto is as saint-like as he is made out to be on the boards - same with Chris L.

They are too gorgeous to not be scoundrel-like from time-to-time.

Right now, if I had to wager money on who is least driven by his private parts, it would be Kirk and Frank. Take a look at Frank's past flame (not ugly, but not a real looker) and then just listen to Kirk speak. He's got his priorities in order.

I completely understand what you're thinking. But I'm hoping for the opposite (about R's character) by thinking that he POSSIBLY is incredibly shy and at the same time is incredibly driven for success, and people with that combination of characteristics don't always have a lot of time for dating.

I was one of them, I know it's possible (but unusual) for a person to be that way. I've been raised in a conservative environment, wasn't allowed to date, was nervous around guys, was academically successful and had a college athletic and academic scholarships, so ALL my time in my early/mid 20's was devoted to sports and college. It takes an ENORMOUS amount of free time to work on your physical conditioning when you're a college athlete. AND I never had the pressure of a possible PRO sports-career added on top of that, like Roberto had.

I made it through my 20's without dating much, so I do believe it's possible that a person like that could exist. But, it's rare. And, for a person like that to ALSO be as attractive as R is, well, odds are low but it's possible.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 07-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;3988974;
    I completely understand what you're thinking. But I'm hoping for the opposite (about R's character) by thinking that he POSSIBLY is incredibly shy and at the same time is incredibly driven for success, and people with that combination of characteristics don't always have a lot of time for dating.

I was one of them, I know it's possible (but unusual) for a person to be that way. I've been raised in a conservative environment, wasn't allowed to date, was nervous around guys, was academically successful and had a college athletic and academic scholarships, so ALL my time in my early/mid 20's was devoted to sports and college. It takes an ENORMOUS amount of free time to work on your physical conditioning when you're a college athlete. AND I never had the pressure of a possible PRO sports-career added on top of that, like Roberto had.

I made it through my 20's without dating much, so I do believe it's possible that a person like that could exist. But, it's rare. And, for a person like that to ALSO be as attractive as R is, well, odds are low but it's possible.
    I think it's very possible these combination of attributes are true for Roberto and this is exactly what I think the whole he's smooth and all rico suave like people think is a flawed perception of roberto His dad also seems to be the type that calls for and is very proud of excellence and that might influence Roberto's drive to succeed
    Team Alibeartito

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234