Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are you still watching "The Bachelor"

Why are you still watching "The Bachelor"

Here's an interesting article in CNN that I hope will prompt discussion. Please do not quote the entire article in your reply posts.
    (CNN) -- Of the 14 "Bachelors" and five "Bachelorettes" who've handed out roses to prospective life partners on ABC's hit reality show, only four couples are still together and only two have actually gotten married.

So how does a reality dating show with a 9.5 percent success rate reel in about 8 million viewers week after week?

"It's the fairytale aspect," said Sarah Polonsky, the entertainment editor at BettyConfidential.com, a site covering pop culture and relationships. "What man or woman wouldn't want all these guys vying for our love? ... It speaks to the part of us that wants to be the bad girl or the bad boy. The part of us that wants what isn't good for us."

It's definitely about the fairytale for viewer Gilmar Gomes, 55, who says the show "is like a fantasy."

Gomes said he doesn't mind being heckled by his friends for watching the show, which he first came across last season while flipping through channels. He said it gives him hope that true love is out there somewhere.

"It has all the ingredients," he added. "Beautiful places, beautiful people. ... I remember when [Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi] were on a date in California. That seemed like the right place to fall in love."

However odd it may seem, some folks believe the show's failed couplings have been a key ingredient in the show's continued success.

According to Polonsky, "We just love it because we feel so much better about our own lives."

"It's been a tough few years -- a lot of people have lost their jobs and their money. We all wish we could fall in love in Iceland and Italy and Hawaii, but if we can't, why not watch it [on TV]."

Steve Carbone, who has recapped "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" since their infancy on his spoiler site RealitySteve.com, agrees.

"It's never really been about the ending," he said. "People are more just invested in the dates and the journey and cattiness in the house -- that's what people tune in for. They like the drama."

And ABC is well-aware of that, which is why not all of Ali's 25 hand-picked suitors this season appear to be a perfect match for this single girl.

In order to produce such a show, ABC casts characters they know will deliver, Carbone added. "They're not actually looking for the 25 best matches for Ali. ... They know what they're doing -- they're producing great dramatic TV."

Janet Matuscak Gamin is one of thousands of viewers who turns to Facebook Tuesday through Sunday to fill her "Bachelorette" void.

Matuscak Gamin, who started watching the reality series last season when contestant Rozlyn Papa was sent home for allegedly having a relationship with one of the show's producers, says she watches "The Bachelorette" not as a dating show but as a comedy.

"I laugh at it all night long because I can't believe the things people say and the things they do," Matuscak Gamin said.

Carbone adds that it's important not to confuse the character ABC wants you to see with the real person.

"Anybody that says they want to date somebody from the show. ... You only want to date what you saw on TV," he says. "I'd hook up with Ali, but I don't know her. I don't know anything about Ali other than what the show presents to me.

And the infatuation with past contestants doesn't end with the final rose ceremony.

Either they're jumping to "Dancing With the Stars" as Melissa Rycroft and Pavelka did, covering tabloid magazines and blogs or appearing in ABC's "Bachelor" spin-off -- "The Bachelor Pad" -- to air in August.

"It's a great way to get your 15 minutes," Polonsky says.
    Why are you still watching 'The Bachelor'? - CNN.com

Re: Why are you still watching "The Bachelor"

For the drama, the train wreck, and mostly because it's easily the most interesting section of FORT when it is airing. So many opinions, so many ridiculous characters and situations, so many most!dramatic! scenes. I watch for the entertainment. Early on, I thought it really might be about finding love. My first full season was Trista's and I remember how the other young Moms and I at the park would debate Ryan/Charlie the day after the show aired. It was fun mixed with real romance, I thought. Now it's all about characters, storylines, blindsides, etc. There is little to no real romance, and if it does happen to exist it's more luck than anything. So I watch for the drama, and the giggles, and the debate.

FORT Fogey

I haven't seen all of the series, but I was hooked as soon as I first started watching. I want to believe in love and I like observing people. After finding about the failed "love" stories on the Bachelor, I stopped believing in the show's version of fairy tales. I also started reading about what goes on behind the scenes of this, and other, reailty shows. I've read about "producer's choices" to keep the show interesting. Why do they need a cast of characters, like on a sitcom, to keep the show interesting? Why can't they choose the best possible potential matches for the bacheolor or bachelorette? A situation of someone really looking for love, instead of a cast of unusual characters, I think could be even more interesting. I'd prefer watching people attempt to fall in love instead of watching fake conflicts. But I enjoy the dates... camping in California can be just as interesting as dates in Iceland. Do people need exotic countries to help in the search for love? I'd prefer real conversations and dates near the house in southern California to edited conversations and "Amazing Race" travels. Typically there supposedly is one person that the bachelor/bacheorette really "likes," and I've read that they know who they want from the first episode. I'd prefer a real search for love, and not a manufactured one, but I watch anyway.

According to Polonsky, "We just love it because we feel so much better about our own lives."

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. (Oh, and because I want to be somewhat "informed" when I comment on FORT.)

I DO watch it for the love story & the ENDING. I'm not in it for the drama. While, the drama or wacky things some people do to impress can be entertaining or funny, I don't watch it for that. When you have a season where no one is picked or they are broken up by the time the ATFR airs it's a wasted season to me. I hold no huge faith in most coules eventually getting married or staying together long term. I don't do that with couples who come together in the usual way offscreen considering the divorce rate. However, I like to root for a couple/my favorite bachelor/ette and see one love story unfold with some form of a happy ending even if it's just a dating relationship & no proposal. This, is the preferable case even if I'm not always fond of who the lead picks. I like to then, see the new couple being candid together in the present on the ATFR a few minutes after I have watched their happy ending at the FRC. Once, the ATFR is over if they break up I'm okay with it. I will have seen the fruition of the season and my time wasn't wasted watching the show and I had a bit of a fairytale for a moment. The breaking up after is not all that outlandish considering the couple starts out in a long-distance relationship with the pressures of viewers and media watching them try to make the relationship work. So, I don't fault them for that. If the couple stays together and I can follow how they are doing and see a tv wedding that's icing on the cake. A seasonfilled with just drama is a waste to me without at least coming out with a couple that wants to date and is still together when the ATFR airs. Drama and some shocking moments are okay and cand hold your attention the first few times. However, after a long run of drama and only drama it makes you weary and tired of it. It's like food and nourishment. If you like sweet, eating sweets everyday for everyday can seem cool at first. However, eventually your going to get tired of it and want some real food or something different. YOu want a bit of a balanced meal. A balanced meal here is a bit of drama, a bit of comedy, a bit of travel, a bit of super romantic dates, and a happy couple together in the end however briefly. jmo

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;3951244;
    I DO watch it for the love story & the ENDING. I'm not in it for the drama. While, the drama or wacky things some people do to impress can be entertaining or funny, I don't watch it for that. When you have a season where no one is picked or they are broken up by the time the ATFR airs it's a wasted season to me. I hold no huge faith in most coules eventually getting married or staying together long term. I don't do that with couples who come together in the usual way offscreen considering the divorce rate. However, I like to root for a couple/my favorite bachelor/ette and see one love story unfold with some form of a happy ending even if it's just a dating relationship & no proposal. This, is the preferable case even if I'm not always fond of who the lead picks. I like to then, see the new couple being candid together in the present on the ATFR a few minutes after I have watched their happy ending at the FRC. Once, the ATFR is over if they break up I'm okay with it. I will have seen the fruition of the season and my time wasn't wasted watching the show and I had a bit of a fairytale for a moment. The breaking up after is not all that outlandish considering the couple starts out in a long-distance relationship with the pressures of viewers and media watching them try to make the relationship work. So, I don't fault them for that. If the couple stays together and I can follow how they are doing and see a tv wedding that's icing on the cake. A seasonfilled with just drama is a waste to me without at least coming out with a couple that wants to date and is still together when the ATFR airs. Drama and some shocking moments are okay and cand hold your attention the first few times. However, after a long run of drama and only drama it makes you weary and tired of it. It's like food and nourishment. If you like sweet, eating sweets everyday for everyday can seem cool at first. However, eventually your going to get tired of it and want some real food or something different. YOu want a bit of a balanced meal. A balanced meal here is a bit of drama, a bit of comedy, a bit of travel, a bit of super romantic dates, and a happy couple together in the end however briefly. jmo

i completely agree with your post and i think a lot of women feel the
    same way.... now if only we could send this post to Mike F.!!!!!!

Because it's like a potato chip - you can't eat just one.

In the beginning I was hooked on the romance playing out in real life before my eyes; then after I wised up, and Production figured out that social commentary on dating was no longer relevant, I watched through the drama for glimpses of romance. Now when there is absolutely no romance involved, I still watch; but as a fictional show with real people.

Actually, the past couple of years I've watched for the armchair travel opportunity. They've been to places I'll never be or see...except on their show. That makes it almost worth wading through sludge and dead campfire ash: the detritus of what was originally an experiment trampled by heavy feet.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I hate the "drama", unnecessary fighting, the ridicule of nice people. The producers have revealed themselves as disgusting souls. I still watch because I wish people would fall in love... permanent love. That's the only reason I watch.

I'm pretty frustrated with the show because they've systematically taken away anything that could possibly lead to true love, and instead replaced it with a bunch of pseudo-emotional adventures and fake expense accounts. They've locked the "contestants" in a house so they can't be themselves. How can anyone fall in true (lasting) love while they're in prison? You can't find true love in a fake place.

Take away the "mansion", take away the helicopter flights, take away the force-fed booze. Let the contestants stay in their true home environment, and instead fly the Lead to each of their towns. Give her a chance for a hometown date with all 25. THAT would be reality. Then whittle it down from there.

I still watch purely out of habit now, but missing an episode or four is inconsequential. The characters are truly uninteresting, twenty-somethings who have little going for them than desire to be noticed. If we are lucky, there may be one or two interesting personalities, but somehow it is never the lead. Deanna, Jason, Jillian, Jake, Ali - is there anything remotely interesting, intelligent, or extraordinary to recommend any of them, except they are "cute" and easily manipulated?

It used to be the sleuthing and the comeraderie around FORT that kept me tied. Trying to figure out the progression and ending before it showed. Being shocked and horrified with all the manipulation and dirty deeds back in Andy's (B10) day. The fun of ears, noses, sun angles, hands, dress hems, contact with cast & their families & friends, etc. overshadowed the characters. And FORT was good - very good.

I was fascinated and horrified by the revelations by contestants on B10, but Brad's (B11) show was the beginning of the end for me. I hated the real life consequences of the show and the vitrol of the backlash from fans.

What I think is, that while I am not invested in the show any more, that the participants, regardless of the process or the outcome have a great time doing the show. Most, I believe, simply are in it to have fun, figure out a way to get the most out of it, and extracate themselves before the production staff requires anything too demanding of them. I am sure it is a great adventure, tremendous fun, and a unique experience.

The Bachelor & Bachelorette are just shows, and if I have something better on Monday nights I do it. I miss my friends from the olden days of our sleuthing, and I guess there is a tiny bit of curiousity as to whether Fleiss is able to produce an interesting show with interesting personalities and a worthy lead rather than cookie cutter cutouts. If I need a fix, I come here to enjoy your comments and conclusions, mostly relieved that all I feel is mild interest, and wonder, if secretly, I wish something would draw me back.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Oh, please! I don't buy that people watch, because it makes them feel better about their own lives or the economy!

I watch, because I want to see how this show tries to manipulate things and call them out for it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast