Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Harrison's blog

Re: Chris Harrison's blog

Chris Harrison the host:
    1. "No mice were harmed in the filming of this show". I can absolutely envision Jonathon speaking these same words.

2. "read this blog while listening to “Levon” by Elton John. I just did and it really makes it pop." weird. Very Jonathon.

3. "a self-proclaimed doctor of love" delusional. He's just a host on a show where his job is to announce when there is one rose left. I realize his comment was tongue-in-cheek, which is so Jonathon.

4. Chris is writing while listening to music and a song comes on by a band in Episode 3. Chris determines this is "rather ironic real-life moment", and "bizarre". okay, but it sounds more like something not worth mentioning Jonathon-type ramble.

I don't mean to insult either Chris Harrison nor Jonathon. I simply see similarities.
    Last edited by fireflyer; 06-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;3930811;
    Chris Harrison the host:
    1. "No mice were harmed in the filming of this show". I can absolutely envision Jonathon speaking these same words.

2. "read this blog while listening to “Levon” by Elton John. I just did and it really makes it pop." weird. Very Jonathon.

3. "a self-proclaimed doctor of love" delusional. He's just a host on a show where his job is to announce when there is one rose left. I realize his comment was tongue-in-cheek, which is so Jonathon.

4. Chris is writing while listening to music and a song comes on by a band in Episode 3. Chris determines this is "rather ironic real-life moment", and "bizarre". okay, but it sounds more like something not worth mentioning Jonathon-type ramble.

I don't mean to insult either Chris Harrison nor Jonathon. I simply see similarities.
    gotcha-- thanks for clearing it up for me!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/06/15/chris-harrison-blogs-the-bachelorette-episode-4-kasey/
    by Chris Harrison

Categories: Chris Harrison, Reality TV, The Bachelorette, Things That Are Awesome!

I’ve entitled this week’s episode “Guard and Protect Your Heart.” This was easily the best and yes, most dramatic episode so far. Before we dive in let’s answer some of your questions from last week. I love that somebody mentioned that none of the guys have hair on their chest. This person went on to ask if this is natural. Obviously, the answer is no. Most of the guys trim, shave, or wax their chest hair. I took a very informal poll (I asked one woman) and discovered that if a guy has a great body, then this is preferred. Now I pose this question to you: Is the hairless look preferred by most women, or do you stand by the old adage “Real men have chest hair”? Leave your comments below, and we’ll continue this debate next week.

Another commenter asked where the guys go after they are let go. The short answer is they go home. Obviously, they spend the night wherever we are, but they go home shortly after being eliminated. I know all the talk today around the water cooler (does anybody really ever talk around an actual water cooler?) is about Kasey and his actions this week. I need a minute to gather my thoughts and try to digest all of what I just saw, so let’s start with the other dates and then we’ll build up to Kasey.

The producers and staff know I love them, but I want to once again give major props to all those who create and put these dates together. This particular episode was visually awesome to watch. The Lion King group date on Broadway was unlike any date I’ve seen on this show. It’s incredible that the folks at The Lion King and Minskoff Theater allowed us on their stage for the date, but to actually permit us to be a part of their show is mind-blowing.
    The first thing that stood out to me on this date was Jesse. Holy crap dude, you’ve got some vocal chops. Where have those been all season? Jesse’s singing blew everyone away, but it was Roberto who pulled out the smooth move and stole the show, literally. One of the guys brought up a great point about Roberto and Ali. They have shared some crazy moments together. Walking across a tightrope in downtown LA, performing in The Lion King. Those are the types of moments that relationships are built on, and the guys know this, and it’s killing them.

Ali got really sick the night of the Lion King date. She fought it off as long as she could, but the travel and schedule finally caught up with her. She was completely wiped out and lost her voice. She was such a trouper for rallying to celebrate Chris’ birthday with him. What did I tell you from day one about Chris L? I told you that you would fall in love with him. Well, if you haven’t fallen for this guy yet, you’re watching the wrong show. He’s such a solid man. He has good values and puts his family above all else; that’s a quality to be admired, and something I strongly believe in as well.

Okay, I’ve taken a deep breath: Let’s talk about Kasey. I’ve seen it all on this show. Every guy has his own style and his own way of sharing his feelings and love for a woman. Who am I to judge whether it’s right or wrong? So while I won’t say Kasey’s style is wrong, I have to ask, what is up with the singing? Once, okay, I’ll give you that. But four, five times? I loved the look on Ali’s face. She was speechless. It was so incredibly awkward for her. But at the end of that date she just chalked it up to a nervous, sweet guy who was trying too hard. So let me get this straight — a woman tells you to slow down and just relax, show her who you really are, and you go get a tattoo? What the *@#%? Hard to believe, I’m sure, but I am not a tattoo guy. Never had one and never will. With that said, I do know that if you are a tattoo guy, you probably shouldn’t get a permanent tattoo as a token of your love for a girl who’s dating not only you, but 10 other guys, too. Let’s take this a step further and talk about the placement of the tattoo. Again, I’m no expert, but on your wrist? At least Kasey didn’t get it on the small of his back. He explained the tattoo as a shield to protect Ali’s heart with eleven diamonds representing each guy still on the show. I’m pretty positive if Ali had seen this tattoo she wouldn’t have given him a rose. But Frank inadvertently saved Kasey by keeping him from exposing his new artwork to Ali. This ended up costing Jesse and Weatherman another week on the road to love. Eventually, Kasey will show Ali his new tat and we’ll see how she reacts.

Speaking of the road to love, as you heard Ali say, next stop is the land of fire and ice. Thanks to the active volcano, this trip was heavy on the fire. This week’s episode was really good, but fasten your seatbelts: The season is really about to take off.

Before signing off, I’d like to add a quick note about our new show Bachelor Pad. I’d like to officially welcome my friend Melissa Rycroft into the family as she will be helping me out as my co-host for the new show. We’ve just started production, and I can tell you already it’s going to be fantastic and unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. The show will air on ABC on Monday nights beginning August 9, following Ali’s season of The Bachelorette. Keep your comments coming and a quick shout out to the Uncle Julio girls. See, I always keep my word! As always you can find me on

Twitter @chrisbharrison and Facebook.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The first thing that stood out to me on this date was Jesse. Holy crap dude, you’ve got some vocal chops. Where have those been all season?
    I asked the same thing tonight. He is good looking, sweet, and can sing!
    What did I tell you from day one about Chris L? I told you that you would fall in love with him. Well, if you haven’t fallen for this guy yet, you’re watching the wrong show. He’s such a solid man. He has good values and puts his family above all else; that’s a quality to be admired, and something I strongly believe in as well.
    I loved Ali and Chris' date tonight. My favorite episode this season.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Chris Harrison Blogs The Bachelorette: Episode 5

by Chris Harrison

Yes, I’m back and still guarding and still protecting your heart. I’d like to thank you for helping me last week with my informal poll about male grooming. The overwhelming feeling out there is that you ladies like a real man, and apparently that means having a little hair on his chest. Aren’t you glad we can come together and solve the world’s problems like this?

I want to step back a couple weeks and clear up a funny controversy that was started when some of you — and Joel McHale on The Soup (big fan of that show, btw) — noticed Justin’s cast switched legs on his hike up to Ali’s house. Justin hurt his leg the day before we started shooting the show. It really was hurt and in reality, his cast didn’t switch legs. Our editors sometimes flip the video, which is essentially using the mirror image of a shot. The reason they do this from time to time is simple: It looks prettier. With this mirror image being used, it appeared Justin’s cast switched legs. As you’ll see next week, Justin might be manipulating many things, but he wasn’t faking his injury.

I said last week, this season really gets started with the episode you saw tonight. I had no idea what to expect from Reykjavik, Iceland. It’s actually a very cool (actually darn cold) country with a lot to offer. I loved that the producers gave the guys a mini-cam to carry along as we traveled. That extra video from the guys themselves is an interesting perspective you don’t usually get to see. I know the guys had fun shooting stuff as we traveled around.

The day I met the guys in the square in downtown Reykjavik, it was absolutely freezing. You may have noticed everybody was bundled up except me. I took my coat and gloves off because I didn’t think I would be outside that long – not a good call on my part. As it turned out, I was with the guys the entire time and had to listen to their poetry. It really is hard to believe that Kirk was basically the only guy who made the poem personal and approached Ali and touched her. By now we all know she likes that, but only a couple of them managed to do it. We never claim to be smart animals.

I’ve mentioned it before and you saw more of it on this date: Kirk has steadily moved up the list in Ali’s heart. Yes, the heart that Kasey is guarding and protecting… or was. Ali was really moved by the story of Kirk’s illness, and it explained a lot about him to her. Their date was simple, strolling the streets of Reykjavik. The main street in town is really charming, as I’m sure you could tell. There are a ton of great little cafes and restaurants and plenty of shops that makes it a terrific town to walk through. Every day, you would stumble on a new place you hadn’t noticed the day before. I love places like that.

There’s not a lot to say about the group date because it was with a bunch of guys Ali really likes, even Chris N., who was sent home later. The second stop on the date is a place called the Blue Lagoon. The guys and Ali were right – it really is one of the coolest things you’ll ever see or do.

The main drama this week was clearly centered around the two-on-one date with Kasey and Justin. Justin was really good at stirring up Kasey’s emotions and intimidating him before the big event. Kasey progressively looked more and more desperate and uncomfortable. By the time they went on their date, he seemed like he was already beaten. Ali’s face was fantastic when Kasey finally showed her his tattoo. She didn’t know how to respond to that. Who would? I think Ali summed it up best when she explained later in deliberation that she felt that Kasey fell in love with the idea of falling in love. His emotions clearly got the better of him.

A couple notes about the date with Justin and Kasey. Our crew built and carved out all of that ice-sculpted furniture into the cave. We left it all there for others to enjoy when they visit. Seeing as how it’s in the middle of a glacier, I doubt it will melt any time soon. It was so unbelievably cold and windy it was hard for the three of them to stand outside while Ali decided who to give the rose to. The shot of Kasey standing there on that glacier as Ali and Justin flew away was classic. It reminded me of Andy Baldwin’s season where Peyton was left standing on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

The rose ceremony was back at the Blue Lagoon. For the first time this year you got to see Ali and I in deliberation. We always film a deliberation, though you may not see it every episode simply because it may not make sense to use it or there might be other things more relevant to telling the whole story. This week it was important that you saw it because Ali said something that will shape the rest of this season. Before Iceland, Ali was scared she wouldn’t fall in love; after Iceland, she knew she was falling in love, but now she was scared she wouldn’t be loved back. This was a very emotional, candid deliberation. It’s times like these you really do forget about cameras and it’s just you and a friend in a room talking like you would be back home. Many of you asked last week who Chris N. was. Well, you got a chance to see him during this episode. Seriously, Chris N. is a really good guy. Yes, he’s quiet and probably not completely comfortable fighting to stand out in a group setting, but the guys and Ali really liked him.

Ali announced to the guys that our next stop was Istanbul. The truth is, some of the guys already knew that. Somebody (me) accidentally let it slip we were going to Turkey while we were back in New York. I wasn’t sure the guys picked up on it when I mentioned it, but they later teased me that I gave it away. Oops.

This week’s episode was a great one, but next week’s will blow you away. You saw pieces of the confrontation between Ali and another guy. That was just a taste of a situation you will all be talking about for weeks to come. With that said, I hope all of your hearts are guarded and protected! Please continue to leave your comments below or you can find me on facebook and twitter @chrisbharrison.

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette': Episode*5 | EW.com
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Chris Harrison Blogs "The Bachelorette": Episode 6

by Chris Harrison

I can’t possibly write a blog this week without first talking about Jake and Vienna. Obviously I can confirm that they have broken up. I can also confirm for you that I sat down with both of them this week at the Bachelor house for an interview (slated to air as part of next week’s regular Bachelorette telecast). It was the first time the two of them had seen each other since they broke up. I’m not going to get into the “he said, she said” garbage that has fueled the tabloids over the last week. Both of them confirmed what I already knew and have been telling people for months: Their engagement was real and so was the love for each other when we all left St. Lucia six months ago. What happened to them and that love is a story you should and will hear from them. While I won’t get into the details of what exactly was said during this interview, I do want to be very clear about something: Yes, the atmosphere was emotionally charged, but contrary to reports that have surfaced about the interview, at no time was anyone ever physically in harm’s way, nor was anyone ever threatened with physical violence.

With that cleared up I want to get into what was easily the most “dramatic” episode thus far this season. I guess the best way to cover the implosion of “Rated R” is to tell you in detail exactly what happened. As we were leaving Iceland I learned that one of our former cast members, Jesse S in Canada, had proof that Justin had a girlfriend back home. I also found out that both Jesse S and Justin’s girlfriend back home wanted to call Ali and tell her all about it. Because we were traveling from Iceland to Istanbul, Turkey, and dealing with a major time-zone change, we had to wait till the next day to make the call to Justin’s girlfriend in Canada and thus let Ali in on what was going on. Ali had absolutely no clue when I arrived at her hotel room that morning and made the call to Justin’s girlfriend. I was very happy that you got to see and hear everything that was said by Justin’s girlfriend and Ali.

I was very impressed with Ali on that phone call. The first thing she said was how sorry she felt for his girlfriend, and all she cared about at the time was how she was doing. Very classy. When she hung up the phone, Ali was understandably pissed off and wanted Justin gone immediately. We walked straight up to the guys’ suite to confront Justin. Again, I really appreciated the fact that Ali wanted to do this herself and see him face-to-face. When we walked into the guys’ room, they immediately knew something was up, they just didn’t know what. Ali and I never show up together at the guys’ room like that, so they were anxiously waiting for something. That’s when Ali stunned all of us by going directly at Justin the way she did. Then every guy’s jaw dropped on the floor when Justin tucked his tail and ran for the door, and Ali stood up and questioned his manhood. I talked to the guys later and every one of them said they never thought Ali was hotter than that moment where she called Justin on his B.S.

“Rated R” obviously knew he was beat, so he made the bizarre decision to grab his passport and make a run for it… in Istanbul? I’m not exactly sure where he thought he was going to go or how he was going to get there, but Justin made a sad limp for it down the hall. I chased after him to try to stall until Ali could catch up and finish what she had started. Justin walked into stairwell and that’s where things really got interesting, as we briefly lost “Rated R.” Ali and the camera crews thought he’d gone all the way down the stairs but he’d actually exited on the next floor. So for several minutes we had no idea where Justin was. We eventually found him downstairs trying to get out of the hotel without having to face Ali. I have to admit watching Justin limp through bushes and up waterfalls in an attempt to keep from having to face Ali was classic and really sums up his character. He finally did come back to talk to Ali and she let him have it. I realize there have been incidents in the past where you may not be 100 percent sure who’s telling the truth, and this might have been another one of those cases. Justin swore up and down to all of us that he didn’t have a girlfriend and didn’t at any time contact that girlfriend while he was on the road. Hearing “Rated R’s” greatest hits (phone messages) as he limped off into the sunset was the smoking gun. That’s all anyone could possibly need to hear as proof.

I’m sure some of you are wondering how Justin could have made a call if we take the guys’ cell phones away. Well Justin would go into the bathroom in the guys’ suite and use the phone by the toilet. He then tried to cover his tracks by calling the front desk and asking them to take the calls and numbers off the room’s bill so we wouldn’t see it. Probably my favorite thing about this entire thing is that “Rated R” thought he was smarter than everybody else and was so smug as he assumed he was getting one over on everybody. When Ali pulled the rug out from under him and confronted him about all his lies, he stammered and stuttered his way through a pathetic series of explanations.

I’ve already taken up a lot of time and space here so let me throw out a few more thoughts about this episode before I wrap up. Ty and Ali had an amazing one-on-one date at the Turkish bath, and their relationship has really taken off. The group date — olive-oil wrestling — really freaked the guys out. I went up and saw them the next morning and they were seriously beat up. Those pros really did kick their butts and they were sore. Ali and Frank’s relationship is interesting. When they’re apart, it seems to take two steps backward, but when they’re together, the chemistry is undeniable and they quickly take 10 steps forward. Right now, they’re moving forward, and Ali’s worried about that. Ali really liked Craig, we all did, and that’s why she didn’t want to host a cocktail party that night before the rose ceremony. She respected him enough to not want to make him fight for something that just wasn’t there.

There are five men left, and we’re now off to Lisbon, Portugal. The tease after the show was extremely revealing. You can see that the drama with these guys is far from over. One of Ali’s toughest moments will come in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

A final personal note to the guys this week. It’s sad that an old host and a producer came into your house and took you to school like we did in a game you invented. Any time you boys want a butter sliding rematch, just let me know. You name the time and table and it’s on! Please leave your comments below, and you can always get a hold of me via facebook or twitter @chrisbharrison.

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette': Episode*6 | EW.com

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette': Episode 7

by Michael Slezak
    Categories: Chris Harrison, Reality TV, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette

Before we get into this week’s Bachelorette, I want to throw out a few final thoughts on Jake and Vienna. I don’t want to recap the entire ordeal, as I feel the interview really spoke for itself. I’m satisfied that you got to see and hear everything. Now that you have seen and heard for yourselves how this interview really went, you realize most if not all the tabloid reports that came out last week were just a little more than off the mark. Obviously there never was any threat of physical violence at any point during this interview. Let me be very clear with you that I would never tolerate any violence on this show — much less violence toward a woman. The bizarre atmosphere that surrounds this show now really astounds me.

Many of you wrote in, long before you had ever seen a frame of this interview, and complained that it was slanted in favor of Jake. Now that it has aired, I’d be interested to hear if you still feel that way. From my perspective, the interview was very fair to both parties and wasn’t very flattering for anybody involved. You have to understand that I come into this with a little different perspective. I know Jake and Vienna, and however hard it is for some folks to believe, these two had strong feelings for each other when we left St. Lucia. My true hope in conducting this interview, however naïve it seems now, was not to solve or fix this relationship, but to find a bit of closure and stop the nasty back-and-forth that will only flame the tabloid stories and crazy Internet reports. Obviously, that’s not what happened, and I apologize to Jake and Vienna for that. Maybe it was just too soon to have that intimate a conversation. It is my sincere hope that Vienna and Jake will find it in their hearts to bury the hatchet and move on peacefully with their lives, wherever that may take them.

It’s a little difficult to make the transition back to the here and now, but this was an important week for Ali and the guys. We landed in Lisbon, Portugal, with five solid guys, which is a good thing, but it also made it very hard for Ali this week. I started off by talking to the guys in one of the many beautiful town squares in Lisbon. We don’t close down these places when we shoot these scenes, and I love that. It’s priceless to see the people’s faces as these five guys walk across traffic and the square and come up to me with all the cameras around.

Ali’s first date this week was with Roberto. I was very happy to see her relationship with him take a serious step forward. If you noticed, Ali is no longer the giggly little schoolgirl she used to be around Roberto. She’s now able to compose herself and dig a little deeper to find out what this guy is made of. The good news for Ali is the deeper she digs, the more she likes.

On a much different note, the two-on-one date this week with Frank and Ty was just flat-out awkward. These dates are always tough, but at this point in the journey, when Ali cares deeply about both guys, Frank said it best: “The two-on-one sucks.” Ty seemed to settle all of his issues with Ali on this date. I’ll give you my thoughts later on why he left. Frank took this moment to tell Ali he lives with his parents. This brings up an interesting question for you ladies: Is living at home with your parents at this point in your life a deal breaker? Or do circumstances dictate how you feel about it? Ali obviously took into consideration Frank’s circumstances and didn’t mind. Yet once again, Ali throws out a random concern about Frank, saying he’s everything she’s ever wanted, but also everything she fears.

By the time Ali got to her date with Kirk she was overwhelmed. I think four straight weeks of travel, the enormity of the decision this week, and the fact that there’s really not much separating these five remaining guys finally got to her. It really affected her date with Kirk in the beginning, but being the guy he is, he turned it around. I think a lesser man would have taken it all personally and just shut down, but Kirk rallied and they had a great night. Kirk’s speech at dinner really brought it home for him, literally. The guy always says and does the right thing. Sometimes when a guy does that, it’s cheesy or insincere, but not with Kirk, and Ali loves that about him.

At this point in the show, I find Ali and Chris L’s relationship the most intriguing. Ali told me on several occasions her typical relationships start slow as friendships, and then blossom from there. This is exactly what’s happening with Chris and Ali. On their date this week Chris definitely moved out of the “friend” zone. Ali kept saying she’s glad his walls have come down. I think that trivializes him a little bit. Having gone through what he has over the last year, I really respect that fact that Chris wasn’t an open book from day one. He waited until he saw potential in this relationship and a future with Ali before really opening up to her.

As for who went home this week, it was really tough to see Ty go. At this point, Ali’s really splitting hairs trying to come up with a reason to send any of these final five guys home. In the end, Ali and Ty had a good connection but compared to the other guys it just wasn’t enough. I also think they just had different perspectives on life. After this week’s episode, I don’t think I have to tell you to leave your comments below. Have at it people, let it all out. I hope you all had a wonderful, safe Fourth of July. But I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the fireworks this summer.

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette': Episode 7 | EW.com

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette': Episode 8

by Chris Harrison

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again this season: I love the hometown visits. They are so revealing and such a good indication of who these people truly are. With that said, I can’t remember a season when the final four people stacked up like this. In my opinion, Ali narrowed it down to four great guys who all could probably make her happy in different ways. Usually at this point, there’s one person or family that makes this decision a little easier on the Bachelor or Bachelorette, but this wasn’t the case for Ali. On the contrary, things only got harder for her this week and it led to easily the most emotional rose ceremony we’ve had with her.

Ali’s week started in Tampa with Roberto. I did find it a little funny how Ali told a little white lie to his family when they asked about her first impression of Roberto. I don’t think she wanted to say that to the family that she initially thought he was hot. You can clearly see Roberto comes from a beautiful, loving family, and it’s easy to see why he’s such a good, caring man. Quick question for you: Did the baseball uniform work for you like it did for Ali? She was really excited to see him in uniform.

If Roberto’s hometown visit was great I don’t have the words in my simple little head to describe Chris’s hometown in Cape Cod. If you didn’t get emotional while watching this, you seriously need to check and see if you have a heart. Chris is such a terrific guy who has such perspective on life, and he obviously comes about that honestly from his family. His “pops” Ed is such a dear, beautiful man. You truly have to marvel at the attitude and outlook he has on life and love after the year he and his family have just had. The scene where Chris and his dad were talking on the porch about what his mom would think was moving to say the least. Fortunately, the other guys don’t get to see each other’s hometown dates, because after Roberto and Chris, who would want to try to measure up to that?

Kirk was next in Green Bay, Wisconsin. This hometown goes back to why I love this episode so much: You get to see such diversity across this great country and what makes people who they are. Yes, Ali was freaked out by Kirk’s dad’s workshop with all the dead animals, but that’s who he is and what he does. It was something so foreign to Ali, but that’s part of getting to know somebody’s family. Kirk’s family dynamic was obviously different than the others, but in the end it really didn’t seem to matter. As Ali said, he may not have had the best example of marriage, but he is loved and supported like no other, and that’s what counts.

Frank’s hometown visit in Chicago was by far the most interesting to me. While overall they had a great time and Ali ended up giving him a rose, they both continue to struggle with each other. Ali continues to worry why she can’t quite figure him out, and Frank continues to struggle with this process. He gets inside his own head so much that he begins to over-analyze the situation and their relationship. Ali is starting to worry now about the fact that it may not be the process he’s questioning, but rather it’s her he’s not sure about. This is clearly not over, and as you saw in the previews, it will come to a head next week in Tahiti.

After traveling around the world it was nice to be back in the old Bachelor/Bachelorette pad for the deliberation and rose ceremony. After all these years, there’s something very comfortable about that place. Somebody asked via Twitter this week about that house and who owns it. It is privately owned, and we have rented it out over the years to shoot all our shows. I feel a little bit like it’s my second home now as I’ve spent so much time there over the years. It probably didn’t look like it on TV, but deliberation was extremely difficult this week. Ali was exhausted and not at all looking forward to this rose ceremony. As I said above, I can’t remember a season where the final four have been so evenly matched. I felt for Ali; she was about to break up with somebody who had given her absolutely no reason to do so. She so wanted one of these guys or families to give her a reason, but instead they all made it that much tougher. It was an emotional, difficult night and it took us quite some time to shoot that deliberation.

In the end Ali chose to send Kirk home. Like last week when she sent Ty home, it was really more about her feelings for the other guys than anything that was wrong with Kirk. Ali just sees herself with Roberto, Frank and Chris more than she can with Kirk at this time. Next week we are off to Tahiti for exotic dates. I’m sure you’ve heard or seen in our previews that the situation with Frank comes to a head in this episode. Like the Justin situation, this is something you may think you know all about, but you truly have to see and hear it unfold for yourself. Something like this happening at such a late stage in this process will set in motion a series of events that will shape not only the rest of this season, but also Ali’s final decision and the future of all remaining on the show.

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette': Episode 8 | EW.com

FORT Fogey

Bachelorette's Chris Harrison calls Ali and Frank's Relationship "Obviously Flawed"

TVGuide.com: We've seen a lot in the previews about Frank and Ali, so is there more to the story we'll learn?

Harrison: Like with Justin, if you think you know everything, and you think you've seen everything, you haven't. That's why we weren't too worried about showing that something is coming because it's something you have to see, something you're going to want to hear and you have to experience to know what's happened. It's almost less about Frank and Ali and more about how it shapes the rest of our show. ... We'll have a lot to talk about next week.
    O.k. This is from a Chris H. interview with TV Guide. It is really intriguing - esp. the last part about it being less about Frank and Ali and more about how it shapes the rest of the show.

I need to digest and process it.

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette' Episode 9
    Chris Harrison blogs ?The Bachelorette?: Episode 9 | EW.com

by Chris Harrison

Somebody asked me via Twitter this week how the show changes after we get to the hometown dates. That’s a great question, especially because it really had an impact on what happened with Frank this week. Once we get to the hometown dates, everything is cranked up a notch. The guys really don’t see each other anymore — except at the rose ceremonies. The process becomes a lot more personal and emotional, and each guy has a lot more time to think about his own relationship with Ali — or in Frank’s case, to think about other relationships as well. I’ll give you my thoughts on Frank in just a bit, but first let’s discuss our final two men.

Although it was a wild rollercoaster ride to get here, I truly believe Ali has narrowed it down to two really good men. As you heard on their date, Roberto opened up and told Ali he’s falling in love with her. This was huge for Ali, as she’s always been a little worried Roberto was just too good to be true. One funny story from their date to that heart-shaped island of Tupai: Roberto picked up Ali and ran into the water. Well, guys do that expecting the water to get deep, and therefore they dive right in. Except that in Tahiti, it never really gets deep unless you run out about half a mile. Roberto quickly realized this and just stopped and laughed.

Ali also heard what she needed to from Chris this week. How moving was it when they were sitting by the pool in the fantasy suite and he hugged her and said “God I love you”? You can just tell with Chris that it’s taken a great effort for him to get to this point, and he seems almost relieved to feel this way again about a woman.

Now let’s talk about Frank. I knew he was going back to Chicago to see his ex Nicole before he joined us in Tahiti. It was my understanding that Frank felt like before he could fully give himself to Ali, he needed closure on his relationship with Nicole. I understood this and actually respected the fact that he felt that strongly about it. Obviously, everything changed once he saw Nicole. The day I went to talk to Frank, I was still under the impression he had officially ended things with his ex and was ready to move on with Ali. Once I heard he wanted to talk to me that morning, I assumed something was up. Talking with Frank was difficult. I had gotten to know the guy pretty well, so I knew this was tough on him. Even though I knew he would be hurting Ali, and I was disappointed in him for that, I have to admit part of me felt a little sorry for him. I think he overthinks situations and — though I hope I’m wrong — I’m not a hundred percent sure he knows what he really wants right now in his life. I do hope I’m wrong, and I hope he and Nicole truly do love each other and find happiness together.

Much like Jason Mesnick did with Molly, Frank took a huge risk, knowing full well that most of America would be angry with him, but he did it anyway. As you could tell, Ali had absolutely no idea about any of this when she arrived that day for what she thought was going to be a romantic date. She was floored. Looking back at their relationship, though, was this really a huge surprise? Ali and Frank always seemed to have something hanging over their relationship. How many times do people try to change the bad boy, fix the problem, or become the caretaker in a relationship, and how many times does that actually work out? We’ve all done it, and we can all relate to exactly what Ali went through with Frank. I do have to give Ali major props for the line she delivered to Frank when he said that he, too, gave up everything to be here. She quickly replied “apparently not everything.” Well played, girl.

When I walked out to sit by Ali on the beach, she was crushed. I felt so bad for her. I know it’s hard for viewers to understand, but even on a good day, this process will make you question everything about yourself. For this surprise to happen this late in the process made Ali so vulnerable and feel so weak and helpless, and I hated that. This situation was completely different than Justin leaving earlier. Her relationship with Frank was very real, and she could already see a life together with him. To have the rug pulled out from under you at this point can be devastating. I was really proud to see that after a good night’s sleep and time to reflect, she showed up to deliberation with a really good perspective on life again.

I really look forward to reading your comments on Frank this week. How do you think he handled the situation with his ex Nicole? How do think he handled the situation with Ali? Does is make any difference to you if he ends up living happily ever after with Nicole? Again, the guys don’t see each other before the rose ceremonies, so they had no idea Frank was gone. You couldn’t really tell on the show, but once Roberto got there, I walked off as if I was going to get Frank. I was really just waiting for Ali to get ready. I walked back up the stairs alone, and Chris and Roberto were completely confused. Ali did a super job explaining the situation.

Some of you might ask: Would Frank have gotten a rose if he had stayed? The answer is maybe, but we’ll never know. As you saw at this point, Ali is in love or falling in love with all three of these guys. There is very little separating them at this point. That’s what makes this season so compelling. In seasons past, it’s been more cut and dry, and the choice seemed obvious. That’s just not the case this year.

Before I sign off I want to say a little something about the beautiful country of Tahiti and the island of Taha’a. Because of this show I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to the most beautiful parts of this planet. It’s very rare that you’ll hear so much hype about a place, and that place will live up to all that hype, but Tahiti absolutely did. As Ali told you, next we’re off to Bora Bora, but before the finale, it’s the “Men Tell All” episode. I’m looking forward to seeing most of the guys again. We have some great stuff planned that I know you’ll enjoy. Is it true what I heard about Kasey? Guess we’ll all find out together next week!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast