Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 217

Thread: New Bachelorette

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey tango7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle;3845256;
    To me, Ali as the bachelorette is the equivalent of Kate Gosselin sans children as the bachelorette. She tried to boss people around this season and she wasn't even the lead. Ali in a position of power will be even more controlling. Not all the guys are going to let themselves be push around by her, unless of course they have their eye on Bachelor 15.


    Ali was a real beyatch and later a hypocrite re:Vienna. So, her job is so important? Really? Last night on Kimmel she said yesterday was her last day at that job (she sold advertising for Facebook). Tom said "you (viewers) fell in love with her". Really?
    This was a real disappointment. I'm sick of the recycled losers.

  2. #22
    FORT Regular rainysummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    73

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by Noobslueth;3845335;
    Jake's season had high ratings because of Ali! I know quite a few people who tuned in last night just to see if Ali would come back to claim Jake.
    True! She has almost 12800 fans on her fanpage on FB which surged when Jake didnt let her come back and it keeps on surging. Sure +/- some of those "fans" are actually haters, the majority of them are her rooting for her. A lot were still holding hope up until yesterday that Jake would end up with Ali. They dont read RS nor go on boards so they just watch the show as it is.

    I think his stint on DWTS will bring to light that his show was interesting to a lot of people not because of him but of the girls. I thought he was boring & sure enough he was. I kept on watching for the girls but when Ali left and being spoiled of the outcome, I stopped watching. Plus, compared to the other bachelors, I dont think Jake was as open emotionally. I think he came into it with a picture of what he wants or what he thinks he wants and if the girl doesnt fit the mold that he has created, he let them go. Or if he feels that a woman has the capacity to "change" him, he doesnt like that. I think thats what he saw in Vienna, he felt that no matter what he does Vienna will be there for him. He said he wants to protect the woman he loves, I think its the other way around. He wants to be protected. To me he seems to be "theres no other way but my way". Some girls are not cut for such a thing, Ali sure was not and it was never more apparent that their date in SF. Ali knew then it was not going anywhere.

  3. #23
    FORT Fanatic connorsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    456

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3845347;


    Ali was a real beyatch and later a hypocrite re:Vienna. So, her job is so important? Really? Last night on Kimmel she said yesterday was her last day at that job (she sold advertising for Facebook). Tom said "you (viewers) fell in love with her". Really?
    This was a real disappointment. I'm sick of the recycled losers.
    I'd definitely say that Ali was more blunt about her feelings in regards to Vienna, she definitely made some hurtful, unnecessary comments (like the one about Vienna coming back from the date.) But I didn't see where she was a hypocrite about anything. She said what she thought in the moment, and later in watching, she said she hadn't been happy with herself for a lot of it.

    And a lot of viewers wanted Ali to be the girl standing in the end, so it makes sense to offer her the next season in my mind. Ratings have steadily improved over the seasons since ABC started recycling the rejected. It's a plan that is obviously working for them, so I don't see them changing that.

  4. #24
    FORT Fanatic connorsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    456

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by rainysummer;3845366;
    Plus, compared to the other bachelors, I dont think Jake was as open emotionally. I think he came into it with a picture of what he wants or what he thinks he wants and if the girl doesnt fit the mold that he has created, he let them go. Or if he feels that a woman has the capacity to "change" him, he doesnt like that. I think thats what he saw in Vienna, he felt that no matter what he does Vienna will be there for him. He said he wants to protect the woman he loves, I think its the other way around. He wants to be protected.
    You know what I found interesting was the conversation Jake had with his family about his joking/rough house side. We NEVER saw that with any of the women. He was always very reserved, very polished around them.

    I think with Vienna, she is just so apologetically herself - blunt, joking, not overly polished, upfront, maybe that's why she stood out so much for him. I'm guessing the Jake we saw on TV was just the polished exterior. Sort of like Jillian said in her season that she never got past that exterior to really know him. I'm guessing out of all the girls on his show, Vienna is the only one who saw a deeper side of him.

  5. #25
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    56

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Ali was one of my favorites for the first few weeks of the season, but she stepped down from that pedestal when she seemed to be much more concerned about her fellow "competitors" and "winning" (as most are) than about whether she and Jake were really a match made for destiny.

    When the producers gave her a less-than-favorable edit leading up to her exit and beyond, I suspected they had written her off as a bachelorette candidate. So, when she was announced as the next bachelorette I was surprised and even disappointed.

    Her appearance on JK last night changed my mind. I appreciate her remorse for how she reacted toward Jake keeping Vienna around, and believe the show has given her some valuable perspective. I love that she admitted being intimidated by Jake, and I believe it'll prepare her for meeting the many prospective bachelors who may have otherwise intimidated her as well. I think she's a more mature person now.

    I like that she's now willing to put her career on hold for a chance (and on this show, it is a long shot) at lifelong love. I also love her sense of humor and the range of emotions she seems to freely share.

    She's not really going to get 50 bachelors, is she? Seems like that would make early eliminations almost impossibly difficult.

  6. #26
    Bigfoot love DWTS! RickiRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    334

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by connorsmom;3845309;

    So anyway, all this to ask...how did you view her as bossing people around? What did she do that made you see that in her? I'm genuinely curious.
    Most telling example: the episode at the comedy club. Afterward Ali is the one that orchestrated a toast to the girl (Tenley?) that trashed Vienna on stage. The only girl that was actually polite enough to refuse was the crazy one (Melissa?).

    There were many other occasions when Ali led the effort to ostracize Vienna. Her comments after some of the rose ceremonies were good examples. In these, not only was Ali firming up her support with the other girls against Vienna, but she was careful to do it loudly enough so that both Jake and Vienna would know how disgusted she was with the outcome. The level of hatefulness--and the fact that she didn't even try to conceal it--was really telling.

    Ali is clearly an alpha type--any situation you put her in she will take control. I would be surprised if she wasn't president of every group she joined in high school or college.

    She's worked pretty hard lately to reform her image, and I have to give her credit for apologizing for some of her actions, but I don't know how much of that is sincere and how much is damage control. I will have trouble feeling any support for her.

  7. #27
    FORT Fanatic connorsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    456

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick;3845622;
    There were many other occasions when Ali led the effort to ostracize Vienna. Her comments after some of the rose ceremonies were good examples. In these, not only was Ali firming up her support with the other girls against Vienna, but she was careful to do it loudly enough so that both Jake and Vienna would know how disgusted she was with the outcome. The level of hatefulness--and the fact that she didn't even try to conceal it--was really telling.

    Ali is clearly an alpha type--any situation you put her in she will take control. I would be surprised if she wasn't president of every group she joined in high school or college.

    She's worked pretty hard lately to reform her image, and I have to give her credit for apologizing for some of her actions, but I don't know how much of that is sincere and how much is damage control. I will have trouble feeling any support for her.
    I can see where you formed your impression based on the examples. I suppose it boils down to what one believed her motivation was. As I watched, I didn't believe she was saying and doing what she did specifically to ostracize or pit others against Vienna, I just saw someone who wasn't making any effort to hide how much she disliked her, someone who was truly surprised and baffled at how she AND Vienna could possibly both be Jake's type.

    Although oddly enough, I think there are some similarities between Ali and Vienna. They are both blunt, say what they think (whether they should or not) type of strong personalities. I also don't think that situation brought out the best in Ali. It just happened that Vienna's bluntness irritated a number of girls and that put them on Ali's side.

    It will be interesting to see how she does on the flipside of things, although if she is one used to being in control, she'll probably be a lot more comfortable being the Bachelorette than one of 25 girls who have no control over the outcome.

  8. #28
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,885

    Re: New Bachelorette

    It's funny how Ali is excused for poor behaviour because she "speaks her mind" is "blunt" and because it's natural, given that she's in a house full of women all competing for the same guy. Hmmm...sounds like someone else I know....

    I think Ali is right up Fleiss's alley as far as The Bachelorette is concerned. She is polarizing, for one. I've seen plenty of support for her, but I've also seen, on another television board I lurk at but don't post at, that most of the people watching from this season can't stand her. Now if we use these boards as a microcosm of the general viewing public, I'd say we're at about 50/50 on the Ali-love. So, you've got a bunch that love her and a bunch that can't stand her. Fleiss will throw in a crap-load of drama and bingo!! Ratings bonanza.

    Ali should be careful what she wishes for...with Fleiss you don't know which way the wind will blow. Think back to She-who-will-not-be-named. She was America's Sweetheart too, and look at how that turned out. A lot of people respected her decision, but at the ATFR she couldn't have been made to look more like a cow.

    I'll watch Ali, but I don't care for her. I liked parts of her I saw, but I think she's one of those people who can be kind and gracious when things are going her way and a total you-know-what when things aren't. She likes to be in control, and we all know who is really controlling things on this show. Should be interesting.

  9. #29
    Team Gremily! Noobslueth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3846206;
    It's funny how Ali is excused for poor behaviour because she "speaks her mind" is "blunt" and because it's natural, given that she's in a house full of women all competing for the same guy. Hmmm...sounds like someone else I know....
    I don't think I was excusing Ali's behavior and not Vienna's. If it seemed I was that was not my intent. I think they both got caught with their proverbial pants down on national television. Time will tell if they BOTH learned to put their filter on and know when enough is enough. I do hope for Ali's sake that she loosens up a bit... someone who is all work and no play can be wound very tight.

    I hope MF doesn't destroy her... this is the first retread I am actually excited about!

  10. #30
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,885

    Re: New Bachelorette

    Quote Originally Posted by Noobslueth;3846212;
    I don't think I was excusing Ali's behavior and not Vienna's. If it seemed I was that was not my intent. I think they both got caught with their proverbial pants down on national television. Time will tell if they BOTH learned to put their filter on and know when enough is enough. I do hope for Ali's sake that she loosens up a bit... someone who is all work and no play can be wound very tight.

    I hope MF doesn't destroy her... this is the first retread I am actually excited about!
    I wasn't really referring to your post, Noobslueth... Just the general tone of the boards after the finale seemed to be trashing Vienna for exactly what we're now discussing about Ali. You're right, they both got caught with their pants down, in a sense. They may be more alike than many would like to admit.

    She's not my favourite by any means (my fav B'ette was Meredith) but I too hope Fleiss doesn't push the envelope even further with the trashing. These are people's lives that are being played with, and as we've seen with Vienna and the tabloids, it can get pretty brutal. For her sake, I hope it doesn't turn that way but I wouldn't put it past Fleiss.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.