+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The Bachelorette 13: Rachel Lindsay

The Bachelorette 13: Rachel Lindsay

They are announcing the next Bachelorette a little early, and with good reason:

ABC Finally Casts First Black 'Bachelorette'
    The barrier-breaking news will be announced on Monday night's 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

February 13, 2017 2:54pm PT by Jackie Strause

After 33 combined seasons of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, ABC has cast its first black lead, a source close to the situation tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Rachel Lindsay, a Texas attorney, and current contestant on Nick Viall's The Bachelor, will be announced as the next Bachelorette on Monday's Jimmy Kimmel Live!. The star of the next cycle is usually announced after the current season wraps, but ABC is breaking tradition by revealing the news weeks before the finale.

ABC declined to comment. News of Lindsay’s casting was first reported by the Reality Steve website.

Lindsay is becoming The Bachelorette after years of controversy surrounding the long-running reality dating franchise. ABC and its executives have come under fire over the series' lack of diversity, as the starring roles have almost exclusively gone to white leads on both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette.

ABC entertainment president Channing Dungey, the first African-American woman to run a broadcast entertainment division, told reporters at the 2016 Television Critics Association's summer press tour that the issue lies with booking more diverse candidates from the start of the show, since the Bachelor or Bachelorette is usually a popular contestant picked from the previous cycle.

"It’s worked very well for us because the audiences feel really engaged [in choosing] that candidate" she said of the process. "What we’d like to do is broaden that. We need to increase the pool of diverse candidates in the beginning. That is something we really want to put some effort and energy towards."

Viall's season, which premiered Jan. 2, featured the most diverse pool of contestants to date. At its start, the group of women included 22 white and eight nonwhite contestants. By comparison, the previous Bachelor with Ben Higgins featured five nonwhite contestants and 2015's Bachelor season with Chris Soules featured only one.

Viall also became the first Bachelor or Bachelorette in 15 years to give the coveted "first impression" rose — usually a precursor to either winning or becoming a finalist — to a black contestant when he handed Lindsay the night-one trophy.

On the current season, which airs its next episode ahead of Jimmy Kimmel Live! Monday at 8 p.m. ET on ABC, Lindsay is still in the running. Lindsay's appointment not only breaks race barriers for the franchise, but it is also the first time the network has announced its next star while she or he is appearing on the current cycle, essentially spoiling part of the ending as to who Viall ultimately picks.

ABC similarly announced Viall as The Bachelor while he was still appearing on the franchise, however, he was starring on the summer spinoff, Bachelor in Paradise, which features multiple couples in its finale.

In the weeks leading up to Monday's announcement, Bachelor creator Mike Fleiss had heavily teased a "historic" announcement on his Twitter feed.

The Bachelorette seemed poised to cast its first Asian lead last season when fan-favorite contestant Caila Quinn, who is half-Caucasian and half-Filipino, was spotted with a film crew in her hometown. In a last-minute decision, however, the franchise went with JoJo Fletcher, whose mother is Persian and father was born and raised in Tennessee.

Though 2014 featured the only diverse Bachelor in the franchise's run, with American-born Venezuelan Juan Pablo Galavis, The Bachelorette has inched ahead of its male counterpart when it comes to featuring diverse contestants. Fletcher's group included 21 white and six nonwhite contestants to start, whereas the previous Bachelorette with Kaitlyn Bristowe featured four nonwhite men.

The series continues to enjoy an exceptional season in ratings, topping its broadcast competitors with another 2.3 rating among adults 18-49 for the Feb. 6 episode.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: The Bachelorette 13 News -- **NO SPOILERS**

Wow, that's really something! I'm thrilled, she's too good for Nick.( jmho)

I wonder if the show unreal had something to do with this, they really put the light on this show!
    SummerSue and Cornholio like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Nah...I think this is the reason:

ABC entertainment president Channing Dungey, the first African-American woman to run a broadcast entertainment division, told reporters at the 2016 Television Critics Association's summer press tour that the issue lies with booking more diverse candidates from the start of the show, since the Bachelor or Bachelorette is usually a popular contestant picked from the previous cycle.
    I'm thrilled. They couldn't have chosen a more mature, grounded woman in this season.
    Cornholio likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Nah...I think this is the reason:

I'm thrilled. They couldn't have chosen a more mature, grounded woman in this season.
    I wonder why, they are announcing it so soon?
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I wonder why, they are announcing it so soon?
    Probably so they can get the viewership's opinion while they still have plenty of time (& so does she) to change their mind if public reaction isn't what they hope.
    I know, that sounds negative, but we have to realize that we're dealing with a show that has no scruples.

I'm not watching this season, so I don't know who she is, but providing she's nice & fun, I'm very happy to hear this news.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Probably so they can get the viewership's opinion while they still have plenty of time (& so does she) to change their mind if public reaction isn't what they hope.
    I know, that sounds negative, but we have to realize that we're dealing with a show that has no scruples.

I'm not watching this season, so I don't know who she is, but providing she's nice & fun, I'm very happy to hear this news.
    She's lovely..worth watching imho.
    -Andy Rooney-

Re: The Bachelorette 13: Rachel Lindsay

Spoiler and News no more - I changed the thread title so we can talk about Rachel as the next Bachelorette.
    karna68 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

She looked lovely tonight on Kimmel. She said her show starts taping soon. I hope she has some really good guys on her show. I'm thrilled its her.
    Its just so odd they would ruin this show... Or maybe they simply don't care, and its on to the next

.Finally a bacherlotte I can cheer for 100%.
    -Andy Rooney-

Here is a link to a People article about the announcement:

Bachelorette: Rachel Lindsay on Being the Next Bachelorette

I think they announced so soon so that people can apply, knowing she is the bachelorette. If I'm correct, a lot of times people have to apply before even knowing who the bachelor or bachelorette will be. Since she is the first black lead, I think they had to make that known since applicants have to be willing to date her. As bad as it sounds, there are many people who will not apply due to her race.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast