Re: 6/17 Bachelorette 9: Episode 4 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    "/thenk yoaouu.../"
    *shudder*
    Ellen, NEPASue and Cornholio like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm not particularly bored, either. Or at least I wasn't until this week. Desiree is one of the best Bettes I've seen in a awhile. She reminds me of me--I couldn't fake it, either. I think that's why the show might seem worse than usual this season. There's a real, natural Des dying to get out, but she's forced to parrot the show's usual storyline. The disconnect is jarring. Personally, I think it's another Sean, in the sense that she's picked somebody and is just being polite with everybody else.

James--he creeped me out this episode. Admitting on national TV that you cheated on your GF? And no, I don't give him a pass because of his age. I work in a high school, and believe me, kids that age know it's wrong to cheat on a GF or BF. Yes, I know he said he was in college. But what does that say?

Did anybody else catch Juan Pablo's response when asked during the pageant what his ideal woman was? "One who will love my daughter." And kudos to him for not trying to gain sympathy by parading said daughter. If he doesn't make it to the end, can we have a Spanish version of the Bachelor? I don't care if I can't understand it. I'll be content just to look.

Really mixed feelings about Manny and Jan's date. It was very sweet, and I'm glad they had that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I especially liked seeing the old photos in their album. But...but...but...the whole thing just felt so manipulative and exploitative. What about all the other victims? What about the people who didn't get their photo albums back? This really hits home for because some friends went up to Oklahoma recently to help the Moore victims. You wouldn't believe the photos they brought back. Looks like that city got hit by a nuclear bomb. And here's this juggernaut of a show using a sweet old couple to try and score some cheap publicity points. Shame....shame...shame on you, Mike Fleiss.

And really, would it have been to hard to provide some music they actually cared about? A couple of years ago, some friends of ours had their 40th wedding anniversary. Her hubby was a veteran, so they rented out the big banquet hall at his VFW post. They hired an oldies cover band, and man, that joint was rockin'. The whole place, young and old, had a blast. So another mark against this show for simply pulling in a contemporary artist to give them some free publicity. So much for really caring about Manny and Jan.

Ok, some more behind the scenes stuff. Brad's date might have been as boring as the sand on the Jersey beach, but there sure was some drama off-camera:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Brad shares custody of little Maddux with his ex-. Well, she decided she wanted to skip off to another state, so she dumped that poor little boy on Brad's parents. Then she called Brad at the mansion, and they actually filmed the call. There was speculation prior to this week over whether TPTB would show the call to add more drama to Brad's date. Personally, I'm glad they didn't. We had enough with the lame drama last week. You gotta wonder, though. Did that have anything to do with Desiree dumping him? Did he beg to be let go so he could go back to his son?
    Alexxxx and Jaceegirl like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    ...would it have been to hard to provide some music they actually cared about? ...another mark against this show for simply pulling in a contemporary artist to give them some free publicity.
    I was psyched to see Darius Rucker perform on the show. Most of the other people they schedule I don't know or care about but I watched his performance. He is awesome!
    RIP Becky, 5/14/93 - 3/16/13 Sebastian (b.1996) 4/10/10 - 2/16/14

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I'm not particularly bored, either. Or at least I wasn't until this week. Desiree is one of the best Bettes I've seen in a awhile. She reminds me of me--I couldn't fake it, either. I think that's why the show might seem worse than usual this season. There's a real, natural Des dying to get out, but she's forced to parrot the show's usual storyline. The disconnect is jarring. Personally, I think it's another Sean, in the sense that she's picked somebody and is just being polite with everybody else.
    I feel the same way. Des seems like a normal person. She's not a TV personality. Even when she was let go by Sean, her goodbye was the first one ever where the woman seemed genuinely sad to leave the guy. Everyone else seems sad because they're not going to be on TV and get self-validation anymore.

It's more entertaining when the star has a look-at-me personality because they actively try to get attention on themselves. But Des is not like that, which I think is a good thing. It doesn't make for good TV, but likely the relationship will be more genuine. The star always wants to know if the contestants are there for the right reasons, but how often is the star there for the right reasons? I actually believe Des is looking for a relationship and not to become a reality TV star.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
    I feel the same way. Des seems like a normal person. She's not a TV personality. Even when she was let go by Sean, her goodbye was the first one ever where the woman seemed genuinely sad to leave the guy. Everyone else seems sad because they're not going to be on TV and get self-validation anymore.

It's more entertaining when the star has a look-at-me personality because they actively try to get attention on themselves. But Des is not like that, which I think is a good thing. It doesn't make for good TV, but likely the relationship will be more genuine. The star always wants to know if the contestants are there for the right reasons, but how often is the star there for the right reasons? I actually believe Des is looking for a relationship and not to become a reality TV star.
    Nicely said.
    NEPASue likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

NEPASue said:

I was psyched to see Darius Rucker perform on the show. Most of the other people they schedule I don't know or care about but I watched his performance. He is awesome!
    I couldn't agree more about Darius Rucker as I think he is awesome as well. Who knows what Manny and Jan felt about Darius or if they had heard of him before. Perhaps something from the time period would have been better suited or they just had a good time and didn't much care who it was.

Warren said:

Not only nicely said, but I feel exactly the same way. I like Des and find her an extremely beautiful girl. I don't have the best memory from season to season, but just comparing the Bachelor Season with Sean since it was the most recent one, I remember not being able to stay with the season because I found the beginning very slow and it seemed like the main focus was on Sean not wearing his shirt. I know a lot of people including myself don't mind seeing a nice set of abs, but IMO the few that I watched in the beginning bored me and I stopped watching. I later tuned into a few at the end and I felt Sean was saying the same things to all the girls left at that point. I know that for many Sean was a very popular Bachelor, but have read comments where his season was pretty meh in the beginning, but must have gotten better as it went along for several people. Also, I am not putting Sean down because I didn't see enough to really judge and it seems he found what he was looking for with Catherine. We all know that the track record for this show is not the best, but I always hope that when someone finds who they are looking for at the end, they end up being happy together and it will last.

I can't predict what will happen down the road, or if this season will continue to bore many, but I plan on sticking with it because I think you nailed it when you said, "The star always wants to know if the contestants are there for the right reasons, but how often is the star there for the right reasons? I actually believe Des is looking for a relationship and not to become a reality TV star." I believe the same thing and I really hope she finds exactly what she is looking for in one of these men. They don't have to be to our liking or the one we might choose, but they have to be the right one for Des and Des alone. jmho
    NEPASue, mesachick, ilja and 1 others like this.

Regarding Sean ... I never really liked him and the abs thing got really old really fast.
    I wanted him to choose the girl whose Dad was Military so maybe he'd shape Sean up more overall.
    He never really grew on me. Catherine is cute and okay.

As for Des ... she is the best. A large number of people here just love Brooks. For me it's the same thing with him as with Sean ... he is just not growing on me.
    I like Des too much, and respect her motivation, to see her pick a guy who will chump her to further himself.

That's all.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Regarding Sean ... I never really liked him and the abs thing got really old really fast.
    I wanted him to choose the girl whose Dad was Military so maybe he'd shape Sean up more overall.
    He never really grew on me. Catherine is cute and okay.

As for Des ... she is the best. A large number of people here just love Brooks. For me it's the same thing with him as with Sean ... he is just not growing on me.
    I like Des too much, and respect her motivation, to see her pick a guy who will chump her to further himself.

That's all.
    Brooks hasn't grown on me I don't love him that's for sure. Des is sweet, but boring
    Midol and Babbred like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Brooks hasn't grown on me I don't love him that's for sure. Des is sweet, but boring
    Exactly. I liked her on Sean's season and I still like her. She is sweet, but, she is boring...on the show. She just doesn't seem to have enough presence to carry the show for me. I keep telling my friends...those still watching...that she is too soft. She doesn't seem to be really into any of the guys to me...and neither am I. Even the ones that she has had dates with and that many are touting as favourites...Brooks, Brayden...I'm not really seeing a connection. And she is just kissing everyone right and left. Not that I have a problem with her doing that, it's just that she doesn't really seem to enjoy it. It reminds me of Ali saying when she didn't have anything to talk about with her guys she'd just kiss them. Ditto.

I will of course continue to watch hoping that things will pick up, but, many of my friends have already stopped watching and all have commented that the season is blah. I just don't see the spark that I saw between Ashley and JP or Cat and Sean. And to preempt those who will say it is early yet...I saw sparks with JP and Ash during their first date and Cat and Sean even before that. Des...nothing with anyone. The two I mentioned, she likes better than the others...but, still no sparks!!! Now I am just watching for the travel.
    umngirl, Babbred and Fanny Mare like this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

I never saw anything between Sean and Cat - still don't. For me his season came off as one of the more fake ones.

The only season where I saw an instant and undeniable connection from the start was Brad with Emily. No matter how MF tried, he wasn't going to fool anyone regarding whom Brad chose. It was written in stone the moment they met.

I do see a connection between Des and Brooks that she doesn't have with any of the other guys. It doesn't mean that it's apparent to all the viewers, but it is for me. I am looking forward to seeing how the season plays out, that's for sure.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.