Closed Thread
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 20/20 The Bachelor - The Stories Behind the Rose

FORT Fogey

Re: 20/20 The Bachelor - The Stories Behind the Rose

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3852018;
    I thought 20/20 was a real investigative news show like 60 Minutes.
    This thing sounds interesting enough to watch but definitely not hard hitting journalism.
    Is it customary for 20/20 to do fluff pieces to pimp the other ABC shows?
    I don't know.
    The only thing I can think of with this show is that Fleiss has already viewed the material gathered. The only way that he is going to let us see anything that we might consider as hard-hitting or as dirt is if he thinks it will result in further ratings.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I'm not expecting any major revelations. This is 20/20, after all, and not 60 minutes.
    I will watch it, though, 'cause it has enough of my prior faves to suck me in.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3852256;
    I'm not expecting any major revelations. This is 20/20, after all, and not 60 minutes.
    I will watch it, though, 'cause it has enough of my prior faves to suck me in.
    Heck yeah, I'll be watching, too. I want to be right back here with the rest of y'all hashing over what we did or didn't get to see.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3852344;
    Heck yeah, I'll be watching, too. I want to be right back here with the rest of y'all hashing over what we did or didn't get to see.
    I'm definitely going to watch it, but I have this terrible feeling that it'll be a Fleiss directed documentary on the making of a reality show, minus the stuff that bothers many of us here -
    the contracts these people sign
    manipulation by the producers
    reading off cue cards
    the casting of characters
    outlining the story in advance
    the real reasons why people leave
    liquoring people up until they say something stupid
    conduct of people off screen
    splicing and editing to create a false impression
    pressure to get a proposal
    Chris Harrison's disinformation campaign
    addressing tabloid stories (the Tanya scandal comes out tomorrow)
    how they get away with it
    Now if somebody on a competing network had the guts to do THAT story, it would demonstrate true journalistic integrity, and nerves of steel.
    But it isn't going to happen on 20/20 (ABC). So in a way, I feel like we're just being manipulated again.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3852408;
    I'm definitely going to watch it, but I have this terrible feeling that it'll be a Fleiss directed documentary on the making of a reality show, minus the stuff that bothers many of us here -
    reading off cue cards
    Now if somebody on a competing network had the guts to do THAT story, it would demonstrate true journalistic integrity, and nerves of steel.
    But it isn't going to happen on 20/20 (ABC). So in a way, I feel like we're just being manipulated again.
    Totally agree with you that we are being manipulated once again. Didn't you know, Mike F. is now the executive producer of 20/20!!! (Just kidding of course) I'm beginning to detect a definite pattern of bleeding one reality show into another. This has been going on for some time now - not only with TB but with other shows as well. It is the new wave of trying to increase ratings.

I dont' mind 20/20 doing a cross-over. It's been almost 20 seasons and this will be the first 'outside' look at the show?? Bringing back faces we haven't seen in a long time for long time fans is definitely a must see. Is Firestone on the agenda? Jen? We'll probably get a retrospective look (although small) through the seasons, it'll be fun to watch. I'm really looking forward to it.

Too bad 'ette hasn't started taping - we could've gotten some teasers.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3852408;
    reading off cue cards

I believe your feeling is accurate. In any case it certainly will not be an expose'. It will be designed primarily for the "just watchers" who are curious about the personalities and what goes on behind the scenes. (They could have just come here ! ) Additionally, some of it will be to help absolve some of the "bad" guys/girls who have been on the show, and to help promote "The Bachelor Pad".

It will have plenty of "splicing and editing to create a false impression" ( I've heard that called "Frankenbiting") for all of us, but still nice to be reintroduced to some of the old faces.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I would never bet everything I own on anything The Bachelor/The Bach'ette related. But, I would bet that Jake and Vienna will make it onto the 20/20 show and maybe even make a go of it in real life. I never thought JED would, and I'm eating my own words. I'll just wait and see what happens, and as I was brought up to think.... to each his own.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MsDll;3853231;
    I would never bet everything I own on anything The Bachelor/The Bach'ette related. But, I would bet that Jake and Vienna will make it onto the 20/20 show and maybe even make a go of it in real life. I never thought JED would, and I'm eating my own words. I'll just wait and see what happens, and as I was brought up to think.... to each his own.
    You remember when JED went on the show this season to "help" Jake evaluate the girls (he took none of their advice)?
    I thought that was one of the funniest and cutest moments I've seen on this show - because they were so much on the same wavelength. A little goofy, slightly twisted, but totally comfortable together.
    I personally think Ed made some mistakes. I think Jillian has a big heart and was able to let it go. So I genuinely believe they are happy.
    I may be proven totally wrong, but I don't think Jake and Vienna are anything like JED - not in ambitions, underlying values, depth, motives, quality, intelligence...you name it.
    Jake is going to do what is best for Jake. And even if that means dropping Vienna out of a plane over Sanford, Florida, it will still have been worth it to Vienna because for 8 1/2 minutes, people knew her name.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3853243;
    You remember when JED went on the show this season to "help" Jake evaluate the girls (he took none of their advice)?
    I thought that was one of the funniest and cutest moments I've seen on this show - because they were so much on the same wavelength. A little goofy, slightly twisted, but totally comfortable together.
    I personally think Ed made some mistakes. I think Jillian has a big heart and was able to let it go. So I genuinely believe they are happy.
    I may be proven totally wrong, but I don't think Jake and Vienna are anything like JED - not in ambitions, underlying values, depth, motives, quality, intelligence...you name it.
    Jake is going to do what is best for Jake. And even if that means dropping Vienna out of a plane over Sanford, Florida, it will still have been worth it to Vienna because for 8 1/2 minutes, people knew her name.
    Point taken, but I beg to disagree. Your opinion and my opinion. Both opinions come from different perspectives and life experiences, and I'm thinking that they (Jake and Vienna) have every right to a happy ending.

I'm not a sappy romantic, but this show leaves little room to talk about anything otherwise once the show is over. I think we will see some things that back up folks on here like, Bloomers and other sleuthers. We'll see what goes on behind the scenes and we will all make up our minds as to what we believe. We will not get hard investigative truths, and anyone who thinks otherwise is, well.... silly. We'll watch it, and we will dissect it, we won't find anything really important to this thread, but we will still watch the next season and sleuth it all out again.

Closed Thread