Closed Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Pavelka - The Bachelor 14

Re: Jake Pavelka - The Bachelor 14

Quote Originally Posted by one71721;3808483;
    As a pilot yes, he could live anywhere.. but I thought he said in an interview that he is an instructor.. could have misunderstood.
    No I think you are right. So who would be willing to give up everything for him? Perhaps someone who has nothing?

At what age do you graduate university in the US? Here a 4 year degree will have my son graduate at 22....so Vienna is possibly fairly fresh out of school- no established career, firm roots etc

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom;3808496;
    No I think you are right. So who would be willing to give up everything for him? Perhaps someone who has nothing?

At what age do you graduate university in the US? Here a 4 year degree will have my son graduate at 22....so Vienna is possibly fairly fresh out of school- no established career, firm roots etc
    It depends you could graduate as early is 19 or 20 if you went the dual enrollment route, which is taking college courses while still in HS.

Yeah I could see Vienna uprooting her life for him. Orlando has been hit very hard by the recession.. most of the jobs here are in the tourism industry and very low paying. I know for a fact that Dallas/Ft. Worth have not suffered as badly.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one71721;3808483;
    As a pilot yes, he could live anywhere.. but I thought he said in an interview that he is an instructor.. could have misunderstood.

Guys let me clarify what I'm told about Jake's profession (from a reliable source). Jake is a pilot with Atlantic Southeast Airlines. They are a regional carrier for Delta. Delta used to own ASA, but they sold it to SkyWest before entering bankruptcy.

I want you all to understand that regional pilots are not well paid. Definitely not in the six figures. He has probably been with his company 6-8 years. ASA's contract is not at all high paying so he's in the 50-75 range at most (and that depends on if he's a first officer or captain). It is not the weakest regional carrier (that's Mesa), but it is not as high as Comair and SkyWest when it comes to flight crew compensation (ASA is owned by SkyWest but hey have different contracts and operate as different entities).

He flies 50 seater planes mostly from small airport to hub. He probably does a lot of Atlanta to Lexington and other such flights. If he chooses to move, he must commute to his base for work. This is hard. I know a few flight attendants who do it. They fly space available to get to work. They have to start 2 flights ahead of 2 hours before report time. That can mean paying for hotels the night before they report. It is a bit easier for pilots because they can "jump seat" which means take the extra seat in the cockpit. But it could still prove challenging.

It cracks me up to see Vienna fawning all over him because she has no idea how truly middle class this guy's work is. And he has little hopes to move up now. Before 9/11 pilots and flight attendants used regional airlines as a stepping stone to legacies. That all changed on 9/11. With furloughs and layoffs, the work force at majors has gotten very senior. American furloughed a bunch of pilots this week because they were cutting capacity. His only career moves now are stay with ASA, start over with another regional, or try to get on with UPS or Fed Ex (they have planes just for their service). He will not end up at a major airline making six figures for years to come. He also only has 29 more years in his career before he is forced to retire.

I like Jake. He seems sincere, and he is definitely the most average middle class bachelor ever. I just wanted to help some of you see the reality that his life is outside this. He gets a lot of days off (flight crews can only fly 100 hours a month so he will get 2 weeks off). But he does not make a lot of money. He is just a simple guy trying to find a wife in a less than simple way.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Wow! I was even estimating high. Here is a page that tells pay rates for ASA Pilots per hour, per pay period, and per year. If he has been with them 7-8 years he can become a captain. Then he starts again at year 1 pay for captains. The first year on an ATR Turboprop they make $20,000 as a first officer. First officers top out around 40. Jumping in this discussion and finding he chart was very interesting to me. I hope some of you found it the same. Just wanted you to realize that when you talk about moving and such, that this guy does not have Andrew Firestone money to throw around.

And after further googling, I found that Jake has been with ASA since 2000 and is a Captain. So his pay scale would be in year 3 (most likely) of the captains on the table. Another person mentioned being on one of his flights from Atlanta to Chattanooga. That means his equipment is a CRJ 200. So that would likely put Jake somewhere around the $55k range. Hard to live in San Francisco on that.
    Last edited by yourefired; 01-27-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired;3809703;
    Wow! I was even estimating high. Here is a page that tells pay rates for ASA Pilots per hour, per pay period, and per year. If he has been with them 7-8 years he can become a captain. Then he starts again at year 1 pay for captains. The first year on an ATR Turboprop they make $20,000 as a first officer. First officers top out around 40. Jumping in this discussion and finding he chart was very interesting to me. I hope some of you found it the same. Just wanted you to realize that when you talk about moving and such, that this guy does not have Andrew Firestone money to throw around.

And after further googling, I found that Jake has been with ASA since 2000 and is a Captain. So his pay scale would be in year 3 (most likely) of the captains on the table. Another person mentioned being on one of his flights from Atlanta to Chattanooga. That means his equipment is a CRJ 200. So that would likely put Jake somewhere around the $55k range. Hard to live in San Francisco on that.
    Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Ali would in effect have to leave her career behind for him, then. It makes it all the more interesting to me.

My question would be do you think these women truly get what they are signing up for. One advantage of his job is that he can fly free on Delta and pay a very small fee to fly on other airlines with her. But they fly standby and are no guaranteed a seat much less than a seat together.

I think a couple of them would not mind a secure middle class life. Jake also obviously does come from money. Did he not say both parents are doctors? That likely means his education was taken care of so he does not have student loan debts. And he will probably inherit a bit of a nest egg one day. But girls usually come on this show to date the Firestones or at least guys who make six figures. I wonder if they really know the reality of his job and income.

FORT Newbie

ASA's home office and HUB is in Atlanta. Dallas no longer is a HUB and has not been for 5 years. Jake already has to commute to Atlanta to work.

FORT Newbie

Exactly... 60 minutes or 20/20 something like that, did a recent show on pilots pay i saw and it was crazy low....a lot do make under $30,000 a year.

So think about that.... they cast a bachelor who is not well off at all....and then pick money hungry women...models with fake boobs....women who want a rich good looking guy to take care of them....

If they really wanted women who would fall for jake they needed christians, nurses, school teachers.....professional women... making good secure wages...

And would jake be attracted to a fake boobed bikini model approaching 30 years old....?

Casting should have thought more about the realitys of jake and women they cast.... I think its funny when women go to jake and say....I have to warn you about vienna....she is spoiled rich girl.....daddy takes care of her....thats a PLUS if you are scraping by on $50,000 a year.......

FORT Newbie

yourefired: great job your explanation of pilots and the lifestyle. One thing I wanted to mention is that a friend of mine said Jake is also an instructor at ASA so he would receive additional compensation for that position and at my airline instructors don't fly the line like normal CA's do so he could possibly be at home more than a regular line CA.

tbamoma - yes, Jake could live anywhere but the issue is his seniority (or as we call it "juniority") determines where he is based; he could bid to get into another ASA base but if anyone senior to him wants it as well, Jake would be out.

I'm a long-time FORT lurker but wanted to join in as things get down to the wire. I'm also a flight attendant and married to a pilot so if anyone has any questions that yourefired didn't cover, just let me know!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by skyocean;3810236;
    Exactly... 60 minutes or 20/20 something like that, did a recent show on pilots pay i saw and it was crazy low....a lot do make under $30,000 a year.

So think about that.... they cast a bachelor who is not well off at all....and then pick money hungry women...models with fake boobs....women who want a rich good looking guy to take care of them....

If they really wanted women who would fall for jake they needed christians, nurses, school teachers.....professional women... making good secure wages...
    And would jake be attracted to a fake boobed bikini model approaching 30 years old....?

Casting should have thought more about the realitys of jake and women they cast.... I think its funny when women go to jake and say....I have to warn you about vienna....she is spoiled rich girl.....daddy takes care of her....thats a PLUS if you are scraping by on $50,000 a year.......
    Re the bolded, you're right, but the problem is that those people are all diligently working, trying to get by and can't take 8 weeks without pay to go off on a lark to do some stupid reality show. The only people available and willing to do this gig are the ones that need the TV exposure for a boost to their modeling/acting/spokesperson, etc. career. It's a no win situation for somebody like Jake. Unless he's trying to resuscitate his extremely brief acting career, and he says that he's not.

Closed Thread