Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Pavelka - The Bachelor 14

FORT Regular

Re: Jake Pavelka - The Bachelor 14

I would have preferred to see Jesse or Reid, from last season, but I like Jake, too. I have to say that I don't get that he is 31, gorgeous, a professional with an amazing home, comes from a good family, but still single and looking. Could it be his profession getting in the way and making it difficult for him to build a life with someone i.e. never at home???
    What I liked the most last night is him showing that he likes to build things, carpentry. I like that they showed that side of him, his artistic side, as he called it. I also appreciate that he is spiritual. His 3 priorities: God, his family, his friends. He really appears to have the complete "good guy" package. As far as him slamming doors, losing his temper,etc., he must have been under extreme pressure, because the job he does requires a patient, calm nature, I don't think he could do that job if he wasn't, I mean, you can't lose it when you're up 30,000 feet in the air, right?

I still think some of his choices were questionable, i.e. too young for him, as Ed pointed out-- I don't understand why a 31-yr. old, who claims to want to settle down and get married, would choose a 23 year old over someone a little older and more mature, like Tiana, also 31. If he is really serious about his intentions, he needs to find someone that's at the same place he is in his life.

Still, I hope he finds his true love. The last 2 bachs. did, so let's keep it going! Good luck, Jake! You're really sweet!

now I'm smilingmomof4!!!! smilingmomof3's Avatar

A couple of thoughts about Jake. He wasn't my favorite last season, but I do think he is going to be great this season. Many of the things he said rang true. His honesty and lack of trying to "play cool" are appealing. I don't think Jake is a player or completely self centered. I think he is a values-driven person on a show that doesn't necessarily support this or make it easy. He has to be skeptical of very beautiful women wearing little clothing who are completely into him in the moment. Seems like a challenge for any man! Yikes! However, based purely on this first episode, I think he will choose a woman based on values. I think he wants someone on the same page spiritually and this will figure into his decision in a big way. His biggest challenge will be assessing actions versus words in determining who shares his values. JMO.
    ***"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages" - Nietzsche *** "A woman who strives to be equal to a man is lacking in ambition"***

Quote Originally Posted by smilingmomof3;3784847;
    A couple of thoughts about Jake. He wasn't my favorite last season, but I do think he is going to be great this season. Many of the things he said rang true. His honesty and lack of trying to "play cool" are appealing. I don't think Jake is a player or completely self centered. I think he is a values-driven person on a show that doesn't necessarily support this or make it easy. He has to be skeptical of very beautiful women wearing little clothing who are completely into him in the moment. Seems like a challenge for any man! Yikes! However, based purely on this first episode, I think he will choose a woman based on values. I think he wants someone on the same page spiritually and this will figure into his decision in a big way. His biggest challenge will be assessing actions versus words in determining who shares his values. JMO.
    I agree with this. I went into Jillian's season thinking Jake would be F1, and was a little surprised when he left. I did not think he would be the next Bachelor. But now that he is, I can say I really do like him, and I'm rooting for him. I have to agree with the posters who say he might be trying a little too hard to find true love, but I did notice last night he made a comment - which surprised me - that the chemistry is either there or it isn't; you can't force it (or something like that). So I do think he will lead with his heart, but he will be sensible about the whole thing. I think he's got some great girls to choose from!

Who is John Galt?

Jake is a cutie, but I have known and dated pilots and most of them are hounds always looking for the next conquest (especially the really good looking ones). Jake may be a different sort of guy and I'll withhold judgment for now. I was impressed with him during his run as one of the bachelors, but he almost seems too good to be true.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Golly gee, Jake is BO-RING!!! He's laying it on a little thick, isn't he?? I see Mr. Values going the way of Bob...letting everything go to his head and turning into someone he's not. But who knows, I could be wrong.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I can't take anything they say with any degree of sincerity any more where this show is concerned. They all say they are looking for the right person, they are ready to settle down, blah blah blah. It's in the script! I agree, someone who is good-looking, really nice or so it seems, successful, great family, spiritual, etc....and yet he can't find a great lady to settle down with? Hah. I said the same thing with Jason and his nice-guy persona. Frankly, the ONLY guy on this whole franchise that I truly felt was sincere in his claim to want to settle down was Ryan Sutter, and we all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3786295;
    Frankly, the ONLY guy on this whole franchise that I truly felt was sincere in his claim to want to settle down was Ryan Sutter, and we all know how that turned out.
    I also felt the same about Charlie O'Connell, even with him being a very minor actor (I was impressed by his insistence on no suits, gowns or ridiculous fantasy dates, and his dating the final two for a while after the last episode - very sensible).

Jake reminds me primarily of Jason. Kind of sweet, I guess, but not very bright, interesting or charismatic. But that means, of course, that he likely is a perfect match for at least one of the women on this show. I mean really, you cannot tell me that there isn't something a little off about someone who is willing to locate a spouse via reality programming.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie

My husband works for the same airline as Jake. He has flown with Jake but does not know him very well. I can tell you that the biggest surprise for these women is how much his airline pays. People assume pilots make a lot of money. Pilots with Delta make about three times what ASA pays.
    Pilots get paid by the flight hour and if you don't work a lot of hours you don't make a lot of money. Jake makes a little more then some of the Pilots because he is an instructor as well. However, I think I read Jake may have a side business in addition to working for ASA.

As far as Pilots all being hounds. I have friends that are flight attendants for ASA and they have been hit on by Pilots. My friends no longer work there because of the low pay. My husband has had situations where people have tried to swap trips with him so they could fly with their girlfriends and he knows they are married. Affairs do happen, however lately Hr has been scraping the bottom of the barrell.

I hope I don't get in trouble here. My husband always says I have nothing to worry about and the last few times I have flown with his airline the flight attendant was male, 50 or about 200 pounds.

Jake's F1 will have to get used to him being gone all the time but he can live anywhere and commute. He can fly to see her anytime he is off. No excuse not to spend time together after the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3787203;
    I also felt the same about Charlie O'Connell, even with him being a very minor actor (I was impressed by his insistence on no suits, gowns or ridiculous fantasy dates, and his dating the final two for a while after the last episode - very sensible).

Jake reminds me primarily of Jason. Kind of sweet, I guess, but not very bright, interesting or charismatic. But that means, of course, that he likely is a perfect match for at least one of the women on this show. I mean really, you cannot tell me that there isn't something a little off about someone who is willing to locate a spouse via reality programming.
    All of this, plus this guy seems not to have a good sense of humour. I think he is one of my least favourite bachelors of all time. If I have to see one more clip of him fake crying over a railing, I'll barf. I keep watching it though

FORT Newbie

GA Peach, I've been waiting and waiting for someone to point out the reality of a regional pilot's life! My late DH flew for ASA's former "sister" airline, Comair. Jake does NOT fly the huge plane shown in the promos, and he isn't living a glamorous life. When he takes that uniform off after a 4-day, it will pretty much stand up in a corner by itself. He's not jetting in and out of fabulous cities - it's more like Kalamazoo and Tri-Cities, TN. As a captain my DH did not have a holiday or a weekend off for the last three years of his life. We were barely able to make sure he was home when our kids were born. And he was making about $70K - a nice living, but not the high life it's portrayed to be. If Jake's a sim instructor he makes a little more and has a better schedule, but not by a whole lot.

Being a regional pilot's wife is tough work and not for a woman who is not a strong partner herself. You're alone a lot, you have to trust your man, you parent alone a lot of the time. I went to more weddings, funerals and family events alone as a married woman than as a single one. It's tough to have a social life with other couples when he is gone every weekend. As far as being hound dogs - yes, some of them. But those guys would be hound dogs no matter what they did for a living - flying just offers a little more opportunity.

Closed Thread