+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 254 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 2537

Thread: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

  1. #511
    Barbarossa Romanticsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pirate Cove
    Posts
    438

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyCupCanes;3693376;
    I agree with many points that you make. In the age social media: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, texting, camera phones and the Internet, the power of viral marketing/messaging, while hard to measure, is very powerful. In many cases, the customer or consumer now controls the message around "the product" whether it's a TV Show, a car or a technology product. This type of commentary or feedback is often more believable and respected in certain segments - than many a canned marketing/ad campaign.

    Often times, the best the producer of a product can do is effectively manage the outreach in social media settings to try to capture what's being said, digest it and use this feedback to steer opinion or defend against negativity.
    Canes, you and I agree that is what they should be doing, but Jlccaz is probably right about they are doing.

    Case in point: The Prince Lorenzo, Travis Stork seasons. Same format as always: two guys and a herd of women...yet the ratings were terrible. The Bachelor usually starts a little soft the first few episodes and then picks up steam as it goes along. How? Why? The people who haven't been watching the first few weeks don't just suddenly join in. They have no idea whether or not PLO is a good guy or an idiot. It's the hardcore, and their level of excitement, who bring in the additional viewers by posting on Facebooks and irritating their relative, friends, and co-workers.

    DeAnna's show got ratings because people were invested in her during Brad's season and wanted her. ABC gave her the part. Same with Jason. PLO and Stork, like Matt Grant were new, and they failed to excite the base. Hence, crap ratings. Jillian's season was not hotly anticipated. She was third choice and the ratings started slow, but they picked up when cyberspace started swirling with rumors that Ed was a cheater and Reid was a sweetie. People got invested in her and her story. Once again, places like FORT and Reality Steve were the sources...and lo and behold millions more viewers started showing up.

    Jake is a known commodity--and very few of the base like him. This would be a bad move. Casual fans who up his numbers on polls at sites like TVGuide online can't be counted on to turn their TV's on. People at FORT can. We become more than our numbers.

  2. #512
    FORT Fanatic lavender1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    799

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    I would suspect that the networks have a hard time getting a grasp of what the audience wants because of technology because more of their new shows fail instead of succeed. Note to networks, just throw in some vampires, you'll do great.

    People with more expertise in the area than I even question the validity of Neilsen ratings because people are watching TV online or TIVOing or DVRing. I just learned yesterday for example that iTunes is going to be carrying this season's episodes of Mad Men. Now iTunes at least you can quantify the sales. Or the cable networks now carry episodes of shows on demand. I would imagine the cable networks can quantify how many people are downloading episodes of say the Bachelor but do they share that with ABC? I don't know.

    Pollsters who have been using the age old random phone survey method know very well that with Call Display and general annoyance with telemarketers that it is harder and harder to get good random samplings anymore. I never answer the phone if I do not recognize the phone number.

    We know internet polls are inaccurate and there are software programs and other ways to manipulate those results. Like American Idol - you are supposed to be American to vote but there are programs now that allow people outside the US to vote and who knows how that and powervoting in general skews the voting. But they don't care because they like to say they had 100 million votes rather than 8 million votes if you only allowed one vote per person.

    Clearly the cable channels are doing a better job than the networks of finding programming which is either just better or more appealing though not necessarily better.

    Clearly VH1 has more money to work with in their dating reality shows. How is that? Better ratings ergo better ad revenue? Or something else at play? Most of my favourite programming especially vis a vis drama and comedy, remember those? is on HBO and other cable channels not the old networks.

  3. #513
    BTW
    BTW is offline
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    541

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Everyone who is a user, or just looks in here on occasion, are not necessarily in agreement with the few regular posters. I am interested in reading comments, but mostly lurk. I think Jake has an appeal that would be refreshing to watch. I know many regular Bachelor fans, who don't even know about this site, or care to get any more involved than watch the show. So far, Reid, Jake or Kyp are the front runners with them.

  4. #514
    sdl
    sdl is offline
    FORT Fogey sdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    houston
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,657

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3693139;

    And while staffers may be receiving lectures about confidentiality, I haven't seen much evidence of any material reform in their confidentiality practices in the last 4 seasons. The information used to write the filming schedules is 100% in the public domain. Certainly it hasn't deterred sdl's contact from spilling the most confidential information of all, and presuming trust and honesty between buddies, the insider must be perfectly fine with leaking very closely held information straight to the internet!
    ************
    Jiccaz:
    I would cautiously disagree with this comment. There was a time when I could get blow by blow commentary on what was going to happen at least a week in advance. So much so that my daughter would call me to debrief, report it to her entire dorm, and then they would cheer as every little detail was shown on screen. I don't think that there was an important twist in the whole Jason/Melissa/Molly thing that we didn't have nailed down before it was out there, well before RS published his take on it.
    My sense is that things this past season were different...better put, I was told that they were different. I still published things that went into the making of the show that seemed interesting: Ed's leaving under false pretenses and the plan to return, Jillian's emotional instability, Wes' popularity with the crew but not the producers, Ed's brewing storm at home and how they allowed him to manage it electronically until they completed filming, and so on but those were details. I can no longer squeeze the ending out of my friend who, yes, reads FORT and knows what I report.
    Perhaps your experience is different. You are well connected and have things to share that I just can't get these days. That's why we work as a team. But I do believe that the secrecy at ABC/Next is much greater than it was, a lesson learned from the embarrassment of the internet world knowing the "blockbuster" ending on Jason's season well before it was aired. Good for ratings, bad for credibility.
    But you never know when something will fall into your lap, if you're willing to put the effort into it. So I keep trying. You've got to love the hunt...

  5. #515
    FORT Fogey n4692u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,725

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by lavender1960;3693231;
    Well said, I am calling it the VH1ification of Bachelor. Fleiss and company are running out of ideas and seeing how hugely popular the VH1 dating reality shows are. We were aware that some Bachelor production people are now working on VH1 shows. No doubt that works both ways, some VH1 one people are now working on the Bachelor. Someone at JU indicated that there is indeed one person who worked on both Bachelorette and Daisy of Love and the coincidences between those two shows have to be more than coincidental. We need to sleuth that name out. When I found out one of the coproducers, her name escapes me and I don't know if she is still around worked on All My Children AND Jerry Springer, well there you go.

    I watch some of the VH1 shows knowing from the begining it was all fake and just a vehicle for the star to resurrect a flagging career [I mean seriously who would fight over Flavour Flav - heh saw him in an airport last week, no entourage for Flavour] or now they take the popular contestants from each show and give them a show and now we have shows like I Love Money and Charm School where they can pool a bunch of the popular contestants from each show. Fleiss must be just salivating or very green with envy with what VH1 has built. What ever happened to music on music channels?

    I always thought there was some reality in the Bachelor/ette but I think I have to agree any love that occurs does so by fluke not design and now that it seems the Bachelor is heading for VH1 land, the show is doomed.

    If they cast two black wannabe rappers who are brothers we know the VH1fication is complete.
    I don't think The Bachelor/ette is headed to VH1 anytime soon. The show does quite well in the ratings on ABC against its' competition. It's usually first or second in its' time slot. VH1 does have the rights from ABC to show previous Bachelor/ette episodes, which they have.

    I got really ticked off at VH1 a month or so ago when they were suppose to rerun Season 2 with Bachelor Aaron Buerge at 2AM in the morning with one episode every day. I stayed up to tape episodes 1 & 2 and on the third night I stayed up and they aired something about Michael Jackson instead, like we hadn't seen enough of him already (no disrespect intended). The next night I stayed up and taped the show and they aired episode 4 just as if they had aired ep 3 the night before, which they didn't. After that, as far as I know, they didn't show any more episodes of the show.

    I already had that season on tape, but the video was blurry and I wanted a decent copy of it or I wouldn't have bothered staying up.

  6. #516
    FORT Fanatic lavender1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    799

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    I didn't mean it was heading to VH1 literally just figuratively, that the show was going for cheaper stunts to create drama.

    The irony of course is VH1 took the idea of dating reality shows from the Bachelor/Bachelorette series.

    I fear however their success is why Fleiss is talking trash TV and finding the need to cheapen in effect the Bachelor experience to compete or they think they have to to compete for ratings. Fleiss doesn't seem worried about losing the fans who liked the more innocent and/or normal kind of show Bachelor was because he and ABC must be confident they are grabbing the VH1 dating reality viewing crowd who expect cheap stunts and pure entertainment and have no illusions of real love, just real lust at best.

  7. #517
    FORT Fogey albean99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,285

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by tfsouth74;3693143;
    When it comes to insider info on the actual production of the show, edits, etc. we all are interested as it may affect the sleuthing many enjoy or even how we perceive the outcome. But when it comes to "insider info" on the people themselves, I'm not of the belief that because one "insider" spews info to someone about these contestants that those facts by themselves can be looked on as "truths". I agree that any one person can't always see everything and know all the facts behind events as a show staffer. It can become a dangerous game of Chinese telephone or he said/she said. Sure the contestants sign up for a loss of privacy doing a reality show, but noone should have to deal with unfair gossip, digging into families and a "snarky" staffer who just plain likes someone else better than you. I like this board because media thread discussions for the most part have stayed above that versus some others boards I attempted to read through.
    I agree with much of what you say. It's so hard to know what's actually true because the info from a source could be slanted towards their opinion or biases or they may only know a small piece of the puzzle but don't know it. I take any inside info I read with a grain of salt because of that.

    I wonder about Jake being potentially chosen for the bach because isn't he quite short? I know that Kiptyn and Reid aren't exactly tall either so think any of them would limit the girls they can chose given the heels many love to wear. A superficial thing but has crossed my mind. I can't see tptb paying any of them the numbers we've been reading that Reid is supposedly asking. Do we even know that's true?

  8. #518
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by albean99;3693988;
    I agree with much of what you say. It's so hard to know what's actually true because the info from a source could be slanted towards their opinion or biases or they may only know a small piece of the puzzle but don't know it. I take any inside info I read with a grain of salt because of that.

    I wonder about Jake being potentially chosen for the bach because isn't he quite short? I know that Kiptyn and Reid aren't exactly tall either so think any of them would limit the girls they can chose given the heels many love to wear. A superficial thing but has crossed my mind. I can't see tptb paying any of them the numbers we've been reading that Reid is supposedly asking. Do we even know that's true?
    At 5'2", I never had to worry about the height of a dating partner; however, the average height of the American woman I believe is 5'6"; therefore, it is not unusual that one of the characteristics that many women put on their list of attractive traits in a man is height.

    I have seen the height of the F4 argued on several boards. It appeared to me that the most agreed upon answers were that Kip and Reid were about the same around 5'9 or 5'10. Ed was taller at 6' (or a little over), and Wes taller than he.
    Jake, on the other hand, did look shorter than Kip and Reid. It would be good if some of our screencappers could locate and bring over some pics for comparison.

    The point to be made is that Jake's height is going to cause some difficulties. If the average female height is 5'6, and the women like to wear heels, that is going to put many of the producers' choices taller than Jake.
    The producers will be limited to casting petite women ( catalogs refer to 5'4" and under) in order to allow for heels and in order to insure that the women are not taller than Jake. Of course, that might unfortunately be part of the mockery as well.

  9. #519
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    63

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    I saw Reid briefly yesterday in an HGTV preview for one of their shows (glasses and all), but then I watched at the time the preview said and he didn't appear. Does anyone know if he has a series with them? That would certainly impact him possibly being chosen, But even though the gist of the discussions on this board are that TPTB don't listen to us, my vote is that Jake will ruin this franchise by turning it into complete cheese. I'd rather have the guy from More to Love than Jake! REID IS THE MAN

  10. #520
    FORT Fogey ryansmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    976

    Re: **Potential Spoilers** Bachelor 14 Rumors & Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3693857;
    ************
    Jiccaz:
    I would cautiously disagree with this comment. There was a time when I could get blow by blow commentary on what was going to happen at least a week in advance. So much so that my daughter would call me to debrief, report it to her entire dorm, and then they would cheer as every little detail was shown on screen. I don't think that there was an important twist in the whole Jason/Melissa/Molly thing that we didn't have nailed down before it was out there, well before RS published his take on it.
    My sense is that things this past season were different...better put, I was told that they were different. I still published things that went into the making of the show that seemed interesting: Ed's leaving under false pretenses and the plan to return, Jillian's emotional instability, Wes' popularity with the crew but not the producers, Ed's brewing storm at home and how they allowed him to manage it electronically until they completed filming, and so on but those were details. I can no longer squeeze the ending out of my friend who, yes, reads FORT and knows what I report.
    Perhaps your experience is different. You are well connected and have things to share that I just can't get these days. That's why we work as a team. But I do believe that the secrecy at ABC/Next is much greater than it was, a lesson learned from the embarrassment of the internet world knowing the "blockbuster" ending on Jason's season well before it was aired. Good for ratings, bad for credibility.
    But you never know when something will fall into your lap, if you're willing to put the effort into it. So I keep trying. You've got to love the hunt...
    I don't know, SDL ... I believe Jiccaz has a point.

    Underscored illustrates my earlier point precisely of possible monolithic bias in that so many involved in the production of TB, scoop sourced coming from only one involved is not necessarily indicative of the truth. Remember how I was very interested in conformation of the handler issue, and did so directly by other means? Well, my insider source (only to this matter) insisted the opposite of what you learned.

    The season is over and the issue, itself, no longer of importance, but to this discussion in general, what Jiccaz has suggested worthy of further contemplation, in my opinion, of course.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.