Closed Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 194

Thread: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

  1. #91
    hom
    hom is offline
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    126

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3376496;
    To me Melissa's appearance on DWTS is a major "shark jump". How is this reality castoff a star?
    She is not so much a "star" as someone that might get a few viewers to turn in, that happens to have been dancing all her life, is available and willing to step in a day before the live show when everyone else has been practicing for 6 weeks.

    What real star would step in last minute like that?

  2. #92
    FORT Fanatic athomeinfrisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    691

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    I wonder why people aren't questioning Holly Madison's involvement...is she a 'star'??

    No, I don't consider Melissa a star but I also don't consider Holly, Kim Kardashian, and many others who have been on 'stars' either.

    I admire both Melissa and Holly, tho, for having the guts to do this at the last minute against all the other contestants who have been training/practicing for 2 months.

  3. #93
    HELL-O DR OLIVER! stacerace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by hom;3376509;
    She is not so much a "star" as someone that might get a few viewers to turn in, that happens to have been dancing all her life, is available and willing to step in a day before the live show when everyone else has been practicing for 6 weeks.

    What real star would step in last minute like that?
    And the fat Apple guy is a star?
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

    "We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

    "Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

  4. #94
    FoRT-i-fied hotlanta babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    now living in Hell-A
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Well, if we're bashing all the reality stars, we have a lot this season:
    Steve-O is a celebrity for doing stupid, reckless things on camera. Denise had her own reality series. Jewel is the host for a reality show (Nashville Star -- which, oddly, airs on NBC). Steve Wozniak's appeared on several episodes of Kathy Griffin's D-List reality show.
    And, Lil Kim has been in PRISON!

    DWTS is probably very thankful for Melissa. Being 1 female dancer down with 3 days before the premiere put the show in a bind. I'm sure last Thursday, they were scrambling to find a female who even had (potentially) a 12-13 week block of time to even think dancing this season. Bet they got turned down by several stars before Fleiss suggested Melissa (& helped broker the deal). I'm sure there was a heavy sigh of relief when she agreed.

    And though Mel is not a "star" she does help out the network in other ways:
    * has a large fan base from The Bachelor
    * cross-promotion for ABC (which the network LOVES)
    * previous dancing experience and can handle the grueling practice schedule
    * great smile, attractive and can fit in those skimpy dancing outfits!

    I'll be voting for Melissa with all my 10 online votes on the ABC website!

  5. #95
    Shoveling the ocean MissThing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Camp Quicherbichen
    Posts
    3,947

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;3376592;
    I'll be voting for Melissa with all my 10 online votes on the ABC website!
    I vote, also, and I'll reserve my judgement until they dance. What I truly hope is that nobody cuts her a break due to her time allowed to learn what she needs to learn in order to be competitive in this program (same goes for Holly).

    That's not fair to the other 'stars'. It isn't their fault that other participants were injured, and they should not be punished for it, either.

    If she does well, that's fine and dandy. And if she bombs, that's the way the ball bounces.
    Last edited by MissThing; 03-09-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

  6. #96
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3376531;
    And the fat Apple guy is a star?

    Half the people that have been on this show aren't people I would call stars. There have been seasons where I didn't even know who some of them were.

  7. #97
    Dreamer VelvetRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Wonderland
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;3376592;
    Well, if we're bashing all the reality stars, we have a lot this season:
    Steve-O is a celebrity for doing stupid, reckless things on camera. Denise had her own reality series. Jewel is the host for a reality show (Nashville Star -- which, oddly, airs on NBC). Steve Wozniak's appeared on several episodes of Kathy Griffin's D-List reality show.
    And, Lil Kim has been in PRISON!

    DWTS is probably very thankful for Melissa. Being 1 female dancer down with 3 days before the premiere put the show in a bind. I'm sure last Thursday, they were scrambling to find a female who even had (potentially) a 12-13 week block of time to even think dancing this season. Bet they got turned down by several stars before Fleiss suggested Melissa (& helped broker the deal). I'm sure there was a heavy sigh of relief when she agreed.

    And though Mel is not a "star" she does help out the network in other ways:
    * has a large fan base from The Bachelor
    * cross-promotion for ABC (which the network LOVES)
    * previous dancing experience and can handle the grueling practice schedule
    * great smile, attractive and can fit in those skimpy dancing outfits!

    I'll be voting for Melissa with all my 10 online votes on the ABC website!
    I'll be voting all 10 for Mel, too. Not only that, but I'll be voting as early as possible. I just noticed on the DWTS web site that voting starts as early as the episode begins airing on the East coast (that surprised me).

    Regarding voting, the rules are different for Monday nights and Tuesday results nights.

    Dancing With The Stars - About the Show - ABC.com
    Viewers may cast their votes for their favorite teams via phone on Monday night during and up to 30 minutes after the Dancing with the Stars performance shows. AT&T subscribers may also text message their votes by texting the word VOTE and entering the number that corresponds to the team they want to support (standard text message rates apply). Viewers may also vote online at Home - ABC.com starting from the opening of each episode on the East Coast and until 12:00 Noon, ET the following day.
    Dancing With The Stars - About the Vote - ABC.com
    **Week 2 - On Tuesday night, the two couples with the lowest combined score from judges and viewer votes will compete in a Dance Off. Their original set of judges scores will be tossed out and they will perform the same routine again for a new set of judges scores. The new set of scores will be combined with their viewer votes from Monday night and the couple with the lowest combined total will be eliminated.

    Viewers can vote via phone, text message or online for their favorites ONLY on the night they perform.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

  8. #98
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,777

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;3376592;
    Well, if we're bashing all the reality stars, we have a lot this season:
    Steve-O is a celebrity for doing stupid, reckless things on camera. Denise had her own reality series. Jewel is the host for a reality show (Nashville Star -- which, oddly, airs on NBC). Steve Wozniak's appeared on several episodes of Kathy Griffin's D-List reality show.
    And, Lil Kim has been in PRISON!
    Chuck Wicks was also on one pre-"fame". I forget what it was called but it followed musicians in Nashville as they tried to get record deals & find success.

    ETA: I think it might've been called "Nashville", actually. It was on a couple years ago.
    Last edited by ky-la; 03-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.

  9. #99
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Every year I grow more and more astonished by how very little it takes for one to develop a "fanbase".
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  10. #100
    Dreamer VelvetRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Wonderland
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Melissa Rycroft on "Dancing with the Stars"!

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3376609;
    I vote, also, and I'll reserve my judgement until they dance. What I truly hope is that nobody cuts her a break due to her time allowed to learn what she needs to learn in order to be competitive in this program (same goes for Holly).

    That's not fair to the other 'stars'. It isn't their fault that other participants were injured, and they should not be punished for it, either.
    I disagree. How would it be unfair to the other participants if allowances were made for the 2 who only had a few days vs. 2 months to prepare?

    If anything, the others have a clear advantage because they've been training, building up strength, rehearsing, and building a rapport with their pro partners for weeks/months. It's unfair to the 2 replacements (Melissa and Holly) to compete against the others, IMO.
    Last edited by VelvetRed; 03-09-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.