+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new thread for the Post-Spoiler World: Parting Words

Re: A new thread for the Post-Spoiler World: Parting Words

I have always thought that the truth of this season, probably as many others, lies somewhere in the middle. I never thought that it was totally scripted from the beginning. I do believe that every season TPTB stacks the deck. They need to incorporate at least a few candidates that will appeal to their star, otherwise it would be a total free-for-all. By doing that there is a far better chance of having something to work with. This season, Melissa was definitely hand-picked. She encompassed virtually all the qualities that Jason was looking for, and unlike Graham from DeAnna's season, she was a willing participant. I do believe that she and Jason connected within this environment. I also think that the handlers, crew, etc. ran with this. I also believe that from early on, Jason connected with Molly. But I think the difference was their relationship was then handled as the "other" one. They needed something to detract all of the focus off of Mel and Jason, yet still keep viewers in suspense. Jason, unfortunately handed them this scenario. It wasn't till after all was said and done, that he realized he might have made a mistake. By changing his mind, he allowed Fleiss another opportunity, one that has now again played itself out. I hold no ill will against Jason. Did Jason go "all-in" when perhaps he should have "folded", in my opinion, yes. But I'm not in his shoes and I haven't the guts to bet the house on a bluff. I don't even play cards, but the point is all of this is a gamble. From doing the show, to how you are portrayed, to waiting for the bus to run over you, it is never pretty. I do think that "if" there is a chance for a real relationship here, it is with Jason and Molly. I thank all of you who only look at this analytically, it helps me keep perspective. I will always be a junior sleuther...I haven't the will to completely toss out my rose-colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by KashatheDiva;3367683;
    I enjoyed the ATFR1 very much. I enjoyed the jump the shark ending. To me it was REAL LIFE.
    I realize these people sign their lives away. I also realize like Brad, Jason could have handled this differently. But I don't see Jason, nor have I ever, as a strong person who thinks things through(otherwise would he ever have done the show once, but twice?) I think TPTB treated Jason as the innocent lamb(sybolism) they kept showing us during the NNZ footage.

I believe the show was scripted in the sense Jason was going to be guided towards Melissa from day one. I believe Jason was attracted to Molly at least by the episode that had their tent date--an overnight date at that point in the dating process was unprecedented.
    I believe Jason's handlers kept encouraging the flame for Melissa. We already knew the girls' handlers are consistently feeding them things to make them think the bachelor wants them. So I do believe Jason was in love with two women and torn up over them at the point of the LCD's.

I believe De was used to plant a huge seed. De told Jason she should have picked the safe one(him) and instead went with the wildcard(Jesse) and so made the losing choice. Jason is very suggestible and I think this talk helped to push him into making the safe choice.(Mel) I would not be surprised if his handlers did their magic too to enforce this.
    However, I believe Molly planted her own seeds. At her FD with her "what if you pick the wrong one" talk and then at the FRC with her rejection speech. You could tell Jason was intently listening to her about her telling him he made a mistake. You saw his reaction to what she said --the balcony scene. I don't believe that was all in response to her leaving. I think Jason had some doubt about having made a mistake, too.

Articles are now coming out saying Jason knew right after the holidays things were not good. The season starts at Jan 5. No RCG. Did TPTB know that early he was going to breakup and choose Molly? We will never know.

I don't think Molly had any clue this was coming and I do not think her response was so strange. I see a lot of myself in her and under the same situation, I might have been pissed as hell but if I was still in love with the guy I would not let pride stand in my way of letting perhaps the best thing in my life walk away. So I would have taken that leap of faith and tried to work things out.
    Many marriages have had an unfaithful spouse and the other spouse has stood by them, worked it out and gone on to have wonderful lives with their spouse--or at least continued the marriage for whatever their reasons. This was not even a case of infidelity, but just dating rejection.
    I think the only clue Mel knew this was coming was that she knew by the time the ATFR1 was filming that things were over. Both parties have said as much. So I don't believe she was blindsided, as such that day. However, I don't think she or Jason had any clue this relationship was going to fail the day the FRC took place and he chose her. I think shortly after the holidays Jason was faced with a moral dilemma and had the obsessive and perhaps morally correct obligation, as he saw it, to rectify things ASAP.
    Anyway, sorry for the length.
    I enjoyed it the way the season ended. Yes, Melissa went through pain, but all breakups are painful period and I think she has moved on.

I do want to clarify in all this, I am not personally addressing whether or not this was how the circumstances should or should not have been handled, I am only addressing what I think happened in the form of scripting or storylines of this show. JMO

Your post is great! How can they say Melissa went on the ATFR expecting a wedding date when they greeted each other like that. She had to have known it wasn't working out. It takes two - surely she felt it as well.

FORT Newbie

I'm actually new to all this theory --- I was spoiler free all season, but after ATFR, something didn't feel right to me and I ended up here. (MYSTERY SOLVED!)

Can someone explain what the Melissa/Jason emails were?? I've missed that bit of the story.

Do you think Jason/Molly keep missing press due to the unexpected backlash?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holacandita;3369036;
    I'm actually new to all this theory --- I was spoiler free all season, but after ATFR, something didn't feel right to me and I ended up here. (MYSTERY SOLVED!)

Can someone explain what the Melissa/Jason emails were?? I've missed that bit of the story.
    You can read e-mail communications that were obtained by E on-line. Just google it. They give a little more insight to the behind the scenes stuff.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoIndianaViewer;3369040;
    Do you think Jason/Molly keep missing press due to the unexpected backlash?
    Yes, I think so. I think they would have been a lot more careful in how they portrayed themselves at both of the ATFR's. I think they were stupid enough to think everyone would be glad to see their romantic story, and now they realize they were wrong.

FORT Regular

I am so sick of the whole Jason mess. He appears to be very unstable in a lot of areas. Really have beef with TPTB that do not care what they do to the men & women on this stupid show even though they sign a contract. They may not be fully aware of some of the back lash that can occur later on.

FORT Regular

IMO, Fleiss and Co. shrewdly exploited a dramatic situation that developed after the show wrapped. Jason gifted them with a perfect love triangle, and they accepted it with glee, and then ran with it.

IMO, after years of futile attempts to produce feel-good fairy tale endings, Fleiss & co. finally dared to show an ending, though not ideal, was “real”. The shift in their strategy may have come about when they allowed Brad to choose no one, yet there was no public outcry (at least from casual viewers) and their base audience didn’t abandon the show. Though I didn’t watch Brad’s season, my TB-cynical-friends and I thought this was the most refreshingly honest outcome, and lent more credibility to the show.

As is often true of change, I believe this paradigm shift caused suspicion, confusion, and distrust of Fleiss & Co’s motives, and ultimately led RS to WRONGLY leap to a conclusion, that this season was a set-up. From what I can determine, his primary arguments for the conspiracy were “They shot ATFR 1 early this year, and they’ve never done that before”, and “Jason broke-up with Mel on TV, why didn’t he do it off camera?”. At least, these were his arguments in the beginning - I haven’t read his more recent posts.

With the overwhelming success of this season, no doubt, the trend for more reality will continue. IMO this is a smart move. Honestly, trying to achieve a happy ending and ultimately a marriage within this show’s ridiculous premise, is an exercise in futility. IMO, adding more honesty to the storyline makes for more compelling TV, and in a way, more grown up.

And, KashatheDiva, great analysis of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by moreChocolate;3369386;
    IMO, Fleiss and Co. shrewdly exploited a dramatic situation that developed after the show wrapped. Jason gifted them with a perfect love triangle, and they accepted it with glee, and then ran with it.
    I'm on board with this.

I think Fleiss was surprised to see the backlash. The production team was too close to the details to see it from the public's view, which shifted within 15 minutes from seeing Jason & Mel full of joy celebrating in the pool to a dark studio scene with Jason throwing Mel under the bus. Jason and Mel may have taken weeks to come to this point, but this was too much for the public to accept within 15 to 30 minutes. Fleiss gets credit for showing the breakup, but if he was a real master story-teller he would have found a way to convey the shock and disappointment without the outrage.

A lot more transparency in the process would have been helpful. People are throwing out all kinds of theories about what the contract says. Jason implies he was forced into the live dumping, but Fleiss was quoted yesterday as saying there is absolutely nothing in the contract that required this. (Of course he wasn't offering to show anyone the contract.)

So Jason throws Mel under the bus, Fleiss throws Jason under the bus.

(I admit that I haven't watched TB in years since it is so over-produced. I just happened to see the final show this year and witnessed the train wreck. I'm still a bit disturbed about it, so I keep posting, but it sounds like Mel has moved on, so I will do likewise.)

Reality Steve hyped this for maximum damage to a Show which he loves to hate (he's organized a good chunk of his life around it, believe me, we all get that! LOL). He told his story in layers to place the producers and Jason in the worst possible light. Well played, for his objective.

Viewers, as is their privilege of course, rode his wave of rushing to judgment on incomplete facts. But imagine if you knew the FIRST day everything that we know today, March 5th?

1. Jason proposed to Melissa notwithstanding grave, late erupting, doubts.
    2. Jason/Melissa as a couple ended shortly after the ill-considered, premature proposal. Both recognized this as it was happening.
    3. Jason could not stop thinking about the one he left behind (Molly), and Molly felt the same way.
    4. Jason evaded Melissa's direct questions about whether he was in touch with Molly, or obsessed with her (wimpy), until the day of the taping. But on that date, Melissa was well aware that engagement and marriage were not in the cards. Really, there was never enough of a real world relationship to "fight for" or communicate about.
    5. Within days/weeks, Melissa ended up in the arms of an old boyfriend, sad but wiser.
    6. Jason and Molly plan to attempt to move forward as a couple, notwithstanding angry mob resistance.

It's a fairly humdrum year when you get right down to it. But by reacting to each layer of the onion as its peeled viewers are crying all sorts of unnecessary tears for these people.

There really aren't any victims IMO, except Jason's reputation (by his own hand, so no sympathy required), and maybe his son (hopefully, like Brad, Jason's redemption will come in time, for Ty's sake).

Ready for the next one??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast