+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

Fluff (the Moderator) had the brilliant idea for a thread to sleuth out why women in "our" demographic watch this show? I'm always fascinated by the 4-5 women who produce for this show season after season. What is the appeal (beyond a paycheck)? What about the viewers? There is no question that these shows garner ratings, not just active discussion among a few diehards. Does it matter?

From time to time, we should have some reading material. It's Saturday. Let's kick it off with light reading: an Access Hollywood blog.

If anyone has other on topic reading materials to contribute to this thread, that would be great.

Lifelong learners are we, eh?

Misogyny Rules - Access Hollywood

“Please, please, pleeeeease pick me, Bret!” “Flav, I'll do anything to keep my clock tickin'!” “Of course I'll accept this rose!”

Such are the most common, most belittling begs of reality television today. And boy are people watching. VH1's "Rock of Love" was the highest rated cable reality show on television. Twenty women vying for the love of Bret Michaels? The makeup-wearing, bandana-obsessed (could there be any other reason than a thinning and receding hairline?), 44-year-old "Poison" band member.

Be it the build up of living with, and competing against, other women desperate for Bret's attention, or the appeal of having a real-life rocker boyfriend, these twenty, thirty, and on occasion, forty-somethings, give it all they've got in order to receive one-on-one dates with his Highness.

How these women validate it to their parents is beyond me.

"Well mom and dad, I'm going on 'Rock of Love,' you know, to compete with other women for the adoration of Bret Michaels.

"What do you mean, 'Who?' The guy that was really popular when you were in labor with me! Duh."

From "The Bachelor" to "Flavor of Love," the misogyny of reality television has reached an all time high. Women are willing to do ANYTHING to win the "love" of the man calling all the shots. Rumors of sexual favors peppered the first season of "Rock of Love" (not that Bret chose the woman accused of servicing him after hours).

Flava Flav's girls don't even pretend not to know what will most likely keep them around. They openly admit to needing "alone" time with the skinny, 48-year-old former Public Enemy rapper.

Even on "I Love New York," one of the few shows where a woman is in the choosing position, the men still run the show. "New York," (or Tiffany as she's known by her family), placates each man, one by one. She morphes into whatever she needs to morph into in order to keep the guys’ attention. A dash of high drama here, and a pinch of "Oh no you didn't" there, Tiffany tricks viewers into believing that she is in the driver's seat. But the former Flava Flav disciple-slash-reject was doomed from the start.

Kids who (inevitably) watch these shows see a very strong message. For little girls, they see their bodies as the way to get what they want -- by using sex as a sure way to beat out the competition.

For young boys, it is perhaps an ever stronger message: "Women are there for your choosing, their self-esteems so low that YOU dictate what they should do in order for you to love them."

It's no coincidence (in this writer's opinion) that the majority of women featured in these shows have had breast augmentations, lip-plumping injections, and countless other plastic surgeries. Low self-esteem is blaringly obvious on TV whether you have HD or not.

So why are these women willing to humiliate and degrade themselves? Is it the lure of 15 minutes of fame? Is it the hope that appearing on television will up their career, or dating, value?

Whatever the reason, its a sad, sad time for reality television.

Re: Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

Thanks for starting this thread, I think this is a fascinating subject.

In all honesty, I have no idea why anyone would want to participate in this show as a suitor.
    Any time you agree to do a reality show you're leaving yourself open to possible humiliation.
    You might think that you didn't give them anything to work with, but I imagine we've all seen shows where certain music will be played when someone comes on the screen (heaven forbid you're from a small southern town or "Deliverance" style banjo music will strike up) or a silly but innocent comment will result in a soundtrack of crickets being played.
    There's so much that can be done, no matter what you give them to work with.

On a retread series it's not so bad because at least the suitors have seen the Bachelor and know a little about him, but it always amazes me that in every single season, every single woman (bar one, iirc, in Andrew's season) falls instantly for whichever Bachelor they're presented with and I'd wager that those women who thought they were madly in love with Prince Lorenzo would have fallen madly in love with Brad or Andy, or Matt.

The format of this shows calls for humiliation. They even wrote into Trista's contract that she had to agree to be humiliated. There's a clue for yah.

It really is a pitiful sight to see women, often in their very early 20's desperately trying to do whatever is necessary to catch the eye of The Bachelor in order to have him deem her rose-worthy.
    For those rejected on the first night it's likely their personality didn't even come into play, they were rejected on the basis of their looks. How charming.

Once you make it into the mansion, the Stockholm syndrome kicks in. With nothing to do but obsess about The Bachelor, the women turn into giggling fools when the date box arrives and so the process of getting yourself noticed begins, and for that purpose the skimpy bikini is a gal's best friend.

The nature of the program demands that the women are as forthcoming as possible while The Bach is required to play his cards close to his chest.
    He can't declare his "love" for anyone until he delivers the final rose. All the women have to feel they're in with a shot because the producers can't risk that those on the outs would cut and run instead of staying and fighting for the man.

This show is not set up to find a romance, it's set up to find a winner, someone who gets the final rose.
    If you're still "looking for the love story" after this many seasons, then I don't know what to tell you, other than prepare to be disappointed.

As far as Jason is concerned, the news from the past few days, whether it proves to be correct or not, has amused me.
    I don't think any previous Bachelor sat atop a pedestal quite as high as Jason in the eyes of many fans.
    God forbid anyone question the wisdom of allowing his son to be involved in whatever capacity in the show, or of going on the show at all when her has a small child.
    A few weeks on Deanna's season were enough to paint Jason as a wonderful father, it was Deanna's fault he was away from his son (still can't figure that one out) and a fantastic husband (despite the fact he had broken marriage behind him. (But that was his wife's fault. Did you hear about her? She left him for another person. Person, not man, she might be a lesbian...)
    So, to see people now question him is actually refreshing.

So why are these women willing to humiliate and degrade themselves? Is it the lure of 15 minutes of fame? Is it the hope that appearing on television will up their career, or dating, value?
    That seems to depend of whether or not the fans like them.
    My guess would be all or a combination of the above.
    Whatever the reason, it's rather sad that their still appears to be a conveyor belt of contestants willing to put up with the conditions for a 1 in 25 shot at a brief fling.
    Wait though, it worked for Trista...
    So, Melissa looks set to face the ultimate humiliation over the next couple of weeks, haven't they all been humiliated already?
    "That's Numberwang!"

The Stockholm Syndrome is very real.
    Remember Elizabeth Smart. Remember Shawn Hornbeck.
    Extreme cases to be sure, but then they had a longer length of time than 6-8 weeks.

For years, Monday nights for TB has been set aside for special bonding time with my daughter who is now the age of most of these women.
    For years, this show was pointed out as a prime example of female humiliation, manipulation, fill in the blank.
    Jokingly(only to a certain extent) I told my daughter I would chain her up and hold her hostage in our basement before I would ever allow her to to be a part of something like TB. She'd laugh and tell me no worries.
    Imagine my shock when she looked at me the other week and said "maybe that would be fun!"
    Of course, after much outraged discussion she admitted she was just yanking my chain, but the point I am trying to make--
    Even with all the pitfalls blatantly out there--the allure of adventure, glamour is strong.
    "It won't happen to me".
    Tell that to Patty Hurst.

Anyone for a hamburger?
    A dr. asked me: Does anyone in your family suffer from mental illness? My answer: No they all enjoy it immensely.

I am not a fan, but I have caught a few minutes here and there of these shows. Right off the bat, someone decided that its 'entertainment' to see a bunch of women fighting amongst themselves over a man. And they probably didnt have to look far for inspiration. Every cheesy show like Jerry Springer and Maury have women fighting over men. Every soap has a pair of women fight ing over the priveldge of belonging to one guy! And if you look on some message boards, women posters are trashing women on various shows much more than they do the men?
    Some will say that its in the nature of women not to get along and back stab each other, but I dont think so. Its much more than jealousy or competiveness. Its almost like a self loathing for some women about themseslves and their gender. They want the attention of a MAN, and fighting their way to the top of the heap on some of these shows, may give them a self of self worth--who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3338589;
    Some will say that its in the nature of women not to get along and back stab each other, but I dont think so. Its much more than jealousy or competiveness. Its almost like a self loathing for some women about themseslves and their gender. They want the attention of a MAN, and fighting their way to the top of the heap on some of these shows, may give them a self of self worth--who knows.
    One thing I do find interesting is that very often the friendships the women who participated on the show make with one another last far longer than the relationshp between the Bach and the "winner".
    Last edited by fluff; 02-21-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Wow. This is a good board, and it makes me proud for women to be so revealing and provactive and deep about ourselves and our culture.

Let me begin with a question: a 30 year old woman who works in a bar at night to support her child (no husband) is raped in her home by a customer at the barwho followed her. There's DNA, even bruises, torn clothes. Maybe no broken door, as she says he pushed behind her. The guy says it was consensual. You are the DA...what jurors do you want? You are the defense counsel...what jurors do you want?

Bottom line, the defense counse wants 20 to 50 year old women. Why? There's a tendency for such women to blame the victim. To find things she did "wrong". Reason? They instinctively believe it could be them and so they have to find ways to differentiate themselves. "I wouldn't wear that". "I wouldn't work there", ETC. Often blame the victim is really could it be me?

On a different front, has anyone noticed that most times in these producer situations, or in business, politics, whatever, ONE woman is involved. Not many, not even a few...just the chosen one

I think it plays a role here. Believe me I am not exculpating men. But for them 25 women fighting over their surrogate is a fantasy they cannot avoid having. But from women's point of view, two things. The first is always money or power. Some women believe there is not room at the top for more than a limited number of women, and they want to be it. Even if it means stepping on or over or about other women. Just a sad fact of how the majority or the powerful always include someone from the minority or weaker group as cover. And, again, some will do anything for money.

As for the viewing public, well, I think the unfortunate rape jury analogy comes into plaly. I will confess. I watch very often with a theme...god, I am glad I am not like them. I would never do that, say that, act that way. It somehow comforts me that I am better than that, or that my life does not need that etc.

I sit,at 35, in my upper East Side coop with my girlfriends, baby asleep, legal reading put aside, hubby on a road trip playing out of state and use what I see to feel good about myself. Should I...no. Do I...yes.

Those women need to realize they do not need these shows. So, maybe, do I.

Kinda heavy for a Sat morning, but good talking nonetheless.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

This is an interesting topic for discussion and research. Thank you jlccaz and fluff for starting this thread.

As far as research, I typed in misogyny+reality television and came up with some hits: there is the one jlccaz quoted and another from a blogger at Modestly Yours. com. The blogger at Modestly Yours used author Wendy Shalit as her jumping off point in her rail against MTV. Then there is this from Salon Magazine's Broadsheet dated June 5, 2008.

How crazy are women on reality television? - Broadsheet - Salon.com

How crazy are women on reality television?

I have a theory about "The Bachelor." My theory is that, in any given season, the "bachelor" himself could be a turd -- I mean a literal turd, a coil of poop in the middle of a Beverly Hills mansion -- and the women on that show would still claw each other's eyes out to get that goddamn final rose. Why didn't the piece of poop pick me this week? I thought the piece of poop and I had a future together!

"Wow," said a (male) friend when I told him this theory. "Is all reality television just misogynist?"

Well, no. I don't think "Project Runway" is misogynist. I don't think "American Idol" is misogynist (just boring). However, there is a strain of trash reality television -- a stripe of shows with which I am painfully familiar -- that thrives on the notion that women are, well, batshit crazy. "Rock of Love," "Real Housewives of NYC," "The Bad Girls Club." I'm not proud, but I'll admit I watch them.

This week, New York magazine asks the question many of us viewers have wondered: Are these women certifiable?

"Never in the history of television have we seen so many crazy women," the article explains, going on to consult a psychiatrist and comparing the women's behavior with the DSM-IV definition of "borderline personality." It's pretty unscientific, but crazy or not, we can suggest one quality that might describe them all -- "bad judgment."
    ― Sarah Hepola
    Ms. Hepola's piece falls in line with what many of us post on this forum. Whether the contestants are certifiable or not, they do have a problem with judgement calls. As for those who poke, prod and place them in situations where they can be humiliated, jlccaz writes that we should look at the women who make this happen.

One of the original producers for The Bachelor was Lisa Levinson. She was also a producer of General Hospital and Jerry Springer in her early days in broadcasting. Back in the vaults is an article where she explains that The Bachelor is a show about social interactions during a dating cycle. It was not meant to be a marriage-broker type of show. In other words, a real life soap opera about the pretty people meeting and dating. Who connects and who doesn't. If you will also notice she produced a few Jerry Springer shows. This confrontational setting seems to have been carried over to the "tell all" specials we've become accustomed to during the season. She is not a mysogenist, per se, but brought her previous broadcast experience to bear on The Bachelor.

So, how do you write a soap opera about dating using amateurs as your actors? You push, position, prod, and deprive the participants to the point of dependency. This formula is still intact and it is what makes the show the way it is.

The big question is WHY do women (young women at that) allow themselves to be placed in a situation where they will be used and abused - the popular new term learned this season. What is it about webcams and television that is so enticing? Why do women want or need to place their faces and actions before the public? It wasn't so easy to do so until the electronic age and before then women fell into categories set by men and enforced by women - the "good" and the "bad." Are women still trying to enforce these categories in this day and age?

Do women who watch the Bachelor tune in for the dating soap opera, each season hoping there will be a romance, or the Springer-like confrontations? Mike Fleiss seems to think it is the latter - but, he is a man. So, ladies who watch - why DO you tune in each Monday night?

(Funny thought crept in...perhaps this is the female equivalent of Monday Night Football.)
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

It's tempting to out them by name, but why would smart, educated, professional women produce this stuff ? I guess the answer is as simple as to "earn a living" or because they met their spouse/boyfriend while producing it and now "this" is what they do together. How romantic but still it would require a lot of hot showers at the end of the day to slough off the lies and stupid set ups.

Because not ALL of these contestants "asked for it" or "have it coming."

There are always a smattering of normal fun very smart sophisticated gals, ready for fun and adventure, only to find themselves at some mud bath being asked to rub mud on the Bachelor God.

Tessa balked at the tactics, etc., I always thought, not anything to do with whether she would capture the prize at the end.

How yucky to recruit someone like that to the show, knowing what one knows about how it really is put together. Lies, plain and simple.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3338649;
    It's tempting to out them by name, but why would smart, educated, professional women produce this stuff ? I guess the answer is as simple as to "earn a living" or because they met their spouse/boyfriend while producing it and now "this" is what they do together. How romantic but still it would require a lot of hot showers at the end of the day to slough off the lies and stupid set ups.

There are always a smattering of normal fun very smart sophisticated gals, ready for fun and adventure, only to find themselves at some mud bath being asked to rub mud on the Bachelor God.

Tessa balked at the tactics, etc., I always thought, not anything to do with whether she would capture the prize at the end.

. How yucky to recruit someone like that to the show, knowing what one knows about how it really is put together. Lies, plain and simple.
    The only substantive place where I differ is that your premise about women going on and not knowing what they will be asked to do or get into only worked early on with this show. It is now in year 13 and it has gotten progressively worse if we are honest. I have to feel that anyone who goes on now knows what the show will ask...they may hope they can rise above it, go around it..but they still know. That is not the same as asking for it or having it coming. It is just that there are a lot of people (ok we are talking here about women) , smart, sexy women who do not need this, who rationalize that with them it will be different. It is not...the show always wins

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3338649;

How yucky to recruit someone like that to the show, knowing what one knows about how it really is put together. Lies, plain and simple.
    I would put Amanda in that Category. Also, Noelle and Chelsea.
    And most definitely Jillian. Thank goodness she had the blessing to be eliminated and not part of the farce that is to come.
    Still hopeless to see a GREAT romance!! <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast