+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

Re: Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

But none of them own their own companies, or are doctors or lawyers or heiresses or princesses. Trista's career was not important enough to her to continue it after The Bachelor.

I wonder if women identify with the cast members and what is good for them on The Bacheor rather than the guy, and forcus on finding the best guy for The Bachelorette, I wonder if loyaties lie in different places for each show. Perhaps is has to do with who is cast a the hero/heroine.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

I find this a fascinating thread. Many very good points have been made here.
    Sadly, women are extremely competitive with other women. That's always been my experience. And, some of the worst bosses I have ever had have been women and not men.
    Too many women believe the only way they can get ahead is by walking over others.
    I look forward to a day when it will no longer be that way, but I just don't see that changing overnight.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by h2omom611;3374112;
    Trista was actually an occupational therapist, which requires a 4 year degree and additional 3 years of grad school to get certified. Jenn was an event planner in Chicago. Although not brain surgeons, I think these both sound like admirable careers.
    There have been a few dynamic women on some seasons. There was a doctor on Andy's season. The problem is that the guys generally don't go for those women. They go for the ones who were former "cheerleaders." As with Jason, they often go for the younger ones and their careers haven't quite taken off yet.

Trista did have a profession and had been a cheerleader. They got a pretty penny for the wedding and I believe that she had her own business for a while. But, given the option to be a stay at home mom, she chose that. I'd say she landed quite a catch and has quite a life.

The women cast members have included career women, but I just find it interesting that the main requirement for the lead character - the bachelorette - is that she be unlucky in tv love. No other requirement seems necessary. They have all been retreads.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Quote Originally Posted by jelle;3375321;
    The women cast members have included career women, but I just find it interesting that the main requirement for the lead character - the bachelorette - is that she be unlucky in tv love. No other requirement seems necessary. They have all been retreads.
    Sadly, you're right. And I unfortunately can't imagine TPTB advertising a bachelorette primarily as a doctor, or a successful businesswoman, and have that be "enough" to pull people in (as it was for Travis and Brad, for example) ... the "unlucky in love" requirement really does seem to come down to the idea of rescuing a damsel in distress.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678