+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

Re: Misogyny 101: why do WOMEN help produce and watch this show?

I think it is fantasy, imagination, being naughty.................. I think that this show is an outlet for taboo actions and reactions.

A person could also ask why was Friday the 13th so popular. Why would anyone want to watch a psychotic killer. An outlet.

I think those that take this as 100% and look for romance and such are the ones that get hurt and they shouldn't apply or watch.

This is geared toward Ducky's last post, but I'm not using the "Quote" (is that considered to be redundant?) because this thread isn't filling up so quickly.

Since there is a tendency for nearly all Bachelor engagements to crash and burn with a staggering rate of speed leaving egg on the face of all involved...I believe TPTB "grew a brain" and incorporated the inevitable demise into this season's shows. I believe they struck a deal with RS to be involved in promoting this turn of events which would stir up interest in what had been planned from the inception.

Don't drink the KoolAid

Commit random acts of kindness!

Many of us watch to laugh AT it, and share that laugh with others. That's true for me. And then try to walk the line of not laughing AT the women in real life, just at how they (I agree, permit themselves) to be portrayed.

Someone should publish a Girls' Guide to Surviving the Bachelor Show, reputation, and pride in tact. Bachelorettes for Dummies.

What I hate myself for is the visual (always so on display during the WTA episode, through clever editing) where a sea of women applaud and laugh as women are portrayed as catty, bitchy, petty, foolish, etc. It is like something out of a film. Or a Roman coliseum. Like that last scene in Cabaret!

I firmly believe that those who apply to be on The Bachelor or any of this type show are doing so for adventure. Regardless of their portrayal, they are confident, outgoing, attractive, capable young women who are seeing this as an opportunity to do something exciting and daring, out of the box activities. Most are young women comfortable with laughing at themselves and their friends' foibles, and are secure enough to handle public embarasment. Throw in the some sexual tension, competition, outrageous flirting to enliven thisgs even more. So the groundwork is there for them to accept what is presented by the directors.

For the majority of these women, who spend two to three weeks in captivity, it is a positive, fun, unique experience. They make great friends, get interesting gifts, free alcohol, sunny locations, fun activities, in exchange for a bit of embarasment and harassment and a whole lot of laughs. I find it difficult to believe that Lauren, Natalie, Erica took the whole thing very seriously or ever thought that Jason was their ultimate mate. In this age of facebook, myspace, web pages, it is obvious that many many people think nothing of publicly displaying their most embarasing, revealing, irresponsible images.

For most of the particpants, this is a competition, and a relatively harmless one, until the 6:4 cut where real life invades the show and the stakes for sticking around get measurably higher.

I have totally lost where I was going with this I will probably disagree with myself later
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

You too?

Don't drink the KoolAid

I used to watch this show with my daughter and she watched it because it was 'mindless entertainment'. She could sit with her laptop doing work and glance up occasionally and not miss anything. I'm a realist/romantic - I know this isn't real, that it's been manipulated but deep down I'd really like to see someone fall in love.

As to why women go on this show - same daughter said that until she found out that the clothes weren't provided said that "yeah, for a new wardrobe, dates on a yacht, fancy dinners, free vacation, free wine, chance to hang around at a pool I'd think about it, why not - just have to be really, really careful to not be that girl who enjoys the wine too much. It would really help if the guy was half decent too." Then she thought some more and said "Nah, not even for all that would I go on".

The way women are depicted on The Bachelor is almost charming and tame compared to the way women behave in today's society. The fact that only 3 out of 25 actually spend the night with the guy over a period of 7 weeks(and viewers are shocked) is practically puritanical. If there were a situation where the same number of participants were cut off from all contact with the world for 7 weeks with no one sent home, the women would ALL have offered the guy the opportunity to sleep with them.

There are no taboos in today's generation of 20 somethings. Anything goes. Modesty is considered to be archaic. There is no such thing as covering cleavage.... front, back, feet. I recently had a bank transaction where the teller was wearing a plunging neckline much like Nikki's orange print dress. Tattoos and piercings everywhere....especially in spots where the tattooed one can only admire it by way of a 3-way mirror. They can't see it so it is for the benefit of the rest of the world. The facial piercings of a barrista that are enough of a shock making that cup of coffee almost unnecessary. Or when she bends over to scoop ice for your frappacino and you are made aware that today is Red Thong Day.

On TB there is plenty of booze but no illegal substances. That is just quaint...practically Ozzie and Harriett. We are never shown any flashing a la Girls Gone Wild. There is so much reckless and self-destructive behavior among young people today that I hope the pendulum starts to swing back pretty soon. They have such an eagerness to show documentation of this behavior on FB and MS.

When you analyze it, it is pretty innocent. I don't think anything about it reflects the dating climate of today.

Don't drink the KoolAid

Is this show yelling that the key to getting A man to propose is sexual? That intelligence, conversations, morals, don't matter as much as fulfilling HIS fantasy needs?

While I don't believe that is what the women who actually participate think, I do think that is what comes across on tv. Do viewers (not boardies) watch for the snark as the would Real World or Fear Factor? or do they watch believeing that they are being shown a love journey and they romanticize the harrem issues of the show? Is this any different than the attraction of the bodice-ripper romance novels? I guess that separating fiction book form is easier than fantasy realittv show form.

I am not sure why I started watching - I think because of Andrew Firestone. I think I watched thinking about the hero's journey, not much about the participating cast of women. What does that say?
    I don't think until Byron's show that I figured out that people "knew" stuff. And Charlie's season taught me how much stuff could be found on the internet - personal stuff. Scary. It was Andy's season that my focus shifted to the women, the manipulations, the coersion, the disruption of the real lives of the cast. That was a dark dark season for me. And it was during Brad's season that I became fully cognizant of the lingering personal cost of being on the show.

Kids who (inevitably) watch these shows see a very strong message. For little girls, they see their bodies as the way to get what they want -- by using sex as a sure way to beat out the competition.

For young boys, it is perhaps an ever stronger message: "Women are there for your choosing, their self-esteems so low that YOU dictate what they should do in order for you to love them."
    This I think is the real danger when instant gratification seems to be paramont. But I wonder if it has any more impact than the rest of the media blitz from clothes and product companies and the movie industry in general. I doubt that the main demographic of the show is the most susceptible to the message, and that much of the audience is filtering out that message.

It's no coincidence (in this writer's opinion) that the majority of women featured in these shows have had breast augmentations, lip-plumping injections, and countless other plastic surgeries. Low self-esteem is blaringly obvious on TV whether you have HD or not.

So why are these women willing to humiliate and degrade themselves? Is it the lure of 15 minutes of fame? Is it the hope that appearing on television will up their career, or dating, value?
    Again, I do not think that low self esteem is rampant in the women who apply. I think they are looking for a short tem adventure with no long term expectations. Most pick up their lives nicely after leaving. On the other hand, I wonder why they seemingly impart personal information so easily. They seem to have no concept how vulnerable they make themselves with the information the are "required" to provide, until it is too late. Is this like bungie jumping or skydiving?
    Perhaps our (those of us who consider) concept of degredation is different than theirs. Shannon may have been embarased by her edit, but she did not feel degraded, and she was smart and strong enough to get the primary information out that it was her choice to leave. I think that those who object to the "degradation" of the show voice their opinions and are eliminated early. So what does that say about the ones who stay?
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Personally, I think most of these girls go on the show because they want a stepping stone into the entertainment industry. They want to be on TV and they don't care how they get on it. Deanna was a prime example of this, and I never really warmed up to her. I also think this show is far more scripted than people want to believe and all those spontaneous, wonderful "connection" moments are probably shot several times. I admit that I was a rube when this show first broadcast. I didn't believe everything, but now I believe nothing. I watch for the snark value, it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. At least with Survivor there is a million dollar pay off. I'm not sure what the pay off is here except for the talk show circuit afterward and getting your 15 minutes of fame. Possibly the lure of exotic locations and holidays, but can they really be that naive?

Quote Originally Posted by jelle;3339146;
    Is this show yelling that the key to getting A man to propose is sexual? That intelligence, conversations, morals, don't matter as much as fulfilling HIS fantasy needs?

While I don't believe that is what the women who actually participate think, I do think that is what comes across on tv. Do viewers (not boardies) watch for the snark as the would Real World or Fear Factor? or do they watch believeing that they are being shown a love journey and they romanticize the harrem issues of the show? Is this any different than the attraction of the bodice-ripper romance novels? I guess that separating fiction book form is easier than fantasy realittv show form.

I am not sure why I started watching - I think because of Andrew Firestone. I think I watched thinking about the hero's journey, not much about the participating cast of women. What does that say?
    I don't think until Byron's show that I figured out that people "knew" stuff. And Charlie's season taught me how much stuff could be found on the internet - personal stuff. Scary. It was Andy's season that my focus shifted to the women, the manipulations, the coersion, the disruption of the real lives of the cast. That was a dark dark season for me. And it was during Brad's season that I became fully cognizant of the lingering personal cost of being on the show.

This I think is the real danger when instant gratification seems to be paramont. But I wonder if it has any more impact than the rest of the media blitz from clothes and product companies and the movie industry in general. I doubt that the main demographic of the show is the most susceptible to the message, and that much of the audience is filtering out that message.

Again, I do not think that low self esteem is rampant in the women who apply. I think they are looking for a short tem adventure with no long term expectations. Most pick up their lives nicely after leaving. On the other hand, I wonder why they seemingly impart personal information so easily. They seem to have no concept how vulnerable they make themselves with the information the are "required" to provide, until it is too late. Is this like bungie jumping or skydiving?
    Perhaps our (those of us who consider) concept of degredation is different than theirs. Shannon may have been embarased by her edit, but she did not feel degraded, and she was smart and strong enough to get the primary information out that it was her choice to leave. I think that those who object to the "degradation" of the show voice their opinions and are eliminated early. So what does that say about the ones who stay?
    jelle, you get the Best Post award of the day.

It was so blissful to watch Byron and Meredith show. I started to feel really bad for the women during PLo's show, not because of PLo, but because of easy access to their personal lives in the media.

Also, I wonder if the women who agree to "Big Love" situations like in Idaho or wherever....secretly love those kinds of situations or are truly manipulated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast