+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Melissa - Bachelor 13

Re: Melissa **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Secret;3284569;
    I don't understand what age has to do with it? Why is talking about a breast reduction surgery inappropriate to share when they talked about breasts ALL day long? Are breasts still a taboo topic? Perhaps it's a different perspective due to different generations.

Yes, I would feel the same about that the topic and would defend bringing it up, regardless of who had the surgery. Not to mention we knew this was coming, since the episode description told us that it would come up, we just didn't know who would tell the story.

I'm really surprised that it has caused such a stir.
    I guess my mom taught me that it is a private matter and not one to talk about on national with a man you barely know.... I would not have a problem with her talking about in the proper setting but to me and this is my opinion was not the proper setting and he sure didn't and I either need to know what size of breasts she had.

Quote Originally Posted by reddahlia;3284497;
    i am honestly very baffled by the fact that mention of Breast Reduction Surgery is being bandied about at all. whether it was appropriate or not, whether she should or should not have mentioned it or not, etc.

seriously?! i don't get it. when did any form of divisiveness on this extremely non-controversial subject come about in society?

this is coming from someone who, all through junior high and high school, was a at least a cup or two bigger than most of my peers, with a fairly regular body so it was much more noticable. and now: at 34, i'm 5'2, normal/average build and my true cup size is 32-34 F or E. (i can sometimes wear a 38 DD - which i usually choose, as most bras with that come in E or F are uncomfortable and unattractive)

i've considered reduction but chose not to every time. when asked why i didn't go that route, it's simple: my back pain isn't unbearable, i have zero desire to CHOOSE to undergo surgery and aside from not being able to wear certain garments (light colored tops - induces creepy, unabashed staring from men and strappy tops, etc.) this was the body i was given and for the most part, it's pretty good. everyone has complaints about some area of their body, i'm no different. and unless it becomes a serious burden (back pain, etc.) why mess with what i was given?

this surgery is usually covered by insurance, so it's not $$ influencing my decision either. i just choose to work with what i have, which isn't all that bad. others feel differently. others have larger breasts on smaller frames. others have painful results of large breasts and if they get them reduced - i don't applaud them nor think badly of them. it just seems like a logical solution. not anything up for discussion based on "right" or "wrong"

i honestly had no idea that there was anyone out there who seems to think that this is a subject up for discussion or is inappropriate in some way. i fail to see where the 'debate' lies.
    I really couldn't care less one way or another, but the "debate lies" where you have a forum full of people with multiple views on decorum, and varying opinions on the women themselves. Some people wouldn't even think about using the word "breast" in the company of a man you weren't married to, let alone a full on discussion about them [regardless of the context].

I'm not one of them, but we have a very diverse group here, who's opinions may not be our own, but are nevertheless respected.

I liked her honesty, but a small part of me questioned the timing as well. And what I mean by that is not "the setting" - it was a great setting for the discussion. I just personally wonder if the conversation might have been saved for when they became a bit emotionally closer.
    Jillian: "Funnest? Funnest isn't a word." Ed:"It is now..."

FORT Newbie

When you are dating on a national tv show, there is no such thing as a private conversation. The surgery was a major event in her life that probably made her the person she is today. The goal is to be comfortable opening up to each other and in this instance mission accomplished. If the surgery was something she wanted to share with him, it seems like the date definitely opened the door to what might have been an awkward segway on a normal date.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStories;3284600;
    When you are dating on a national tv show, there is no such thing as a private conversation. The surgery was a major event in her life that probably made her the person she is today. The goal is to be comfortable opening up to each other and in this instance mission accomplished. If the surgery was something she wanted to share with him, it seems like the date definitely opened the door to what might have been an awkward segway on a normal date.
    Very well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by grneyedgirl;3284580;
    I think there are some things that should be saved for private discussions. This event in her life, IMO, is one of those.
    Exactly. Saved for later, when you get to know the person a little better.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStories;3284600;

We also have no idea what his real response was...we have no idea the amount of editing that went into that conversation. Would it have been better to wait until there were no cameras? Who's to say. We have no idea what really happened to bring up that conversation. At least she is comfortable enough in her own skin to tell him about a defining moment in her life.

It was a private discussion... It was just her and Jason... it's not like she was talking to the camera or even in a PI. I guess thats the drawback of dating on national television.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I sort of hate to bring this up, because the people who don't like Melissa will probably use this to strengthen their position against her. But does anyone know what the background of "True Love" is? It almost seems like she is pushing something. It's on her tattoo, on the hip of her sweats, and it's also on her Keep-A-Breast bust. It might be a charity, or maybe it's just something she's hoped for. Or, as somebody else posted awhile back, maybe she's a fan of The Princess Bride. "And wuv, twoo wuv, will fowow you fowevuh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Noobslueth;3284613;
    It was a private discussion... It was just her and Jason... it's not like she was talking to the camera or even in a PI. I guess thats the drawback of dating on national television.
    that was NOT a private conversation!! it's not like she wasn't aware that there were cameras on her or that it could be aired on national tv
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

It was her, Jason and millions of viewers. So it was not private. Still, there is a time and place for talk so private. Otherwise, tacky tacky. JMO.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread