Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Matt and Shayne officially broken up

FORT Newbie

Re: Matt and Shayne officially broken up

I think Shayne keeping the ring may be her way of letting the world know that Matt broke up with her. The law has backed up the common practice that the engagment ring is a gift. If the man breaks his promise to marry the girl and backs out he doesn't get the ring back. If how ever the woman breaks it off and refuses to marry then she is obligated to return the ring.

How ABC enters into this I don't know if they had gotten married then the cost of the ring would be worth it to them. With out the wedding to sell future season's they may want the ring back. How ever there is the couple who have been engaged for a long time and I am sure she still has her ring.

To me the only way Matt would have a right to ask that the ring be auctioned off is if Shayne broke up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by KashatheDiva;3148370;
    Actually, if you are the ring recipient, it's not a waste of money at all.
    In fact, it could be a very good investment. I forget what they valued the ring's worth, but I remember it being a nice chunk of change. Puts a whole new spin on the word "winner" when referring to F1. Who needs love when they can have a down payment on a condo or home for making it to F1?
    The network probably doesn't pay for the ring anyway--it's probably given via free advertising from Tacori or whichever jeweler is the sponsor du jour.
    One way of looking at it, you won the prize at the end of the game. I agree, the winner should keep the ring. It is a good investment, if I remember correctly it was in the $40,000 - $60,000 range. That is the price range of the rings the bachelors are given to choose from. Poor guys, what do they walk away with if the couple doesn't stay together.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jelle;3164286;
    I agree with you jllcaz However, Matt seems to come out of this as the good guy. Why? He seems to be the one who did the show as a steppingstone to further entertainment career. Shayne certainly didn't need to, yet she seems to get the blame for the fiasco.

I think both of them are rather goofey and endeering in their own ways, but I am not sure I take what they say with more than the weight of a feather. (Nice image, huh?)
    I think Shayne DID need this gig to further her entertainment career. How many people had heard of her before this show? I never had. I'd say she's increased her exposure tenfold, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandyann;3166237;
    I think Shayne keeping the ring may be her way of letting the world know that Matt broke up with her. The law has backed up the common practice that the engagment ring is a gift. If the man breaks his promise to marry the girl and backs out he doesn't get the ring back. If how ever the woman breaks it off and refuses to marry then she is obligated to return the ring.

To me the only way Matt would have a right to ask that the ring be auctioned off is if Shayne broke up with him.
    So, you have proof that Matt broke up with Shayne, because nobody ever tries to keep a ring that doesn't rightfully belong to them.

In the same vein, wouldn't it be proof that Shayne broke up with Matt, because otherwise he wouldn't have the right to ask that the ring be auctioned off?

Who do we believe?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3168695;
    So, you have proof that Matt broke up with Shayne, because nobody ever tries to keep a ring that doesn't rightfully belong to them.

In the same vein, wouldn't it be proof that Shayne broke up with Matt, because otherwise he wouldn't have the right to ask that the ring be auctioned off?

Who do we believe?
    I agree, and I also think that if my fiance dumped me, the last thing I would want would be a big honking reminder of that, sitting in a glass box on my dresser. Not that I'd do that if I broke it off with the guy, but I'd probably end up feeling a little liberated, rather than crushed.

Pure and simple the ring custody discussion was all about battle for PR image, and nothing about an "Engagement" gone awry. The common law discussions on the alphabet board made me laugh out loud -- as if this was anything about an actual promise of marriage.

Rather, it went down like this:

1. Shayne makes typically inane, totally impromptu (not pre-cleared with Matt or his agent) statement to a reporter about the [come on people, IRRELEVANT, as Matt says] ring going in a glass box;

2. Matt reads it, and in his own signature fashion, immediately tyeps a quick wisecrack on his Facebook page (the easiest jokes for Matt to crack are always those at the expense of another, remember);

3. People.com reporter tipped off to Facebook entry, confronts Matt virtually in real time about his candid public posting, leading Matt to repeat and justify the wisecrack about her spontaneous (truly dopey) idea about the glass box

4. Shayne is shamed into offering ring back to ABC as means of avoiding reputational damage without giving in to Matt's one-uppingidea of selling ring to benefit the humane society. After that, what else could she do to save her image? Reminds me of that hysterical Buck Henry skit on SNL where he famously screams: "Killing Puppies: It Doesn't Bother Me!"***

Anyway, in an otherwise dull summer, the Ring Brouhaha (emphasis on the HA HA) made for a day or two of sporty fun.

*** -- off topic -- Click to read the best SNL skit ever. Buck Henry as host of "Talk Back" (aired in 1976), where he's the hapless host of a call-in show who says more and more extreme things to try to make people call in, and finally resorts to saying that communists would be coming to your home to teach your children and kill your puppies. Funniest ever.

SNL Transcripts: Buck Henry: 05/22/76: Talk Back

I've been following the Shmatt ring story with *snort* interest. Hey, I'm bored, okay? It's a story of glass cases, fake engagements, junior high style bickering on social networking sites and pretty much a breathlessly desperate desire on the part of the two main participants in this farce to keep their pathetic names in the tabloid news for two or three seconds longer than the customary 3 minutes. Fifteen minutes of infamy are reserved for actual celebrities who had actual contributions to.... well, something at least besides the worst case of scripted unreality ever seen on "reality" TV. I was quite surprised that there is no report of Matt and Shayne conveniently starting a fight somewhere in front of a paparazzi infested LA restaurant where their acting prowess could have been duly documented by someone with nothing better to do. Somebody's publicists are not earning their keep apparently.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Shayne Lamas: 'Matt Grant And I Are Still Fabulous' News

Bachelor winner Shayne Lamas was spotted out and about for the first time since splitting with British Bachelor Matt Grant last month, and she was looking happy as a clam despite rumors that their engagement trainwrecked at the end.

While caught on her way to a business meeting at E! entertainment, the peppy actress said that she and Matt are 'fabulous' and that they 'of course' still talk.

One of the controversies surrounding the pair's break-up was a question of what to do with the 2.85-carat Tacori platinum-and-diamond engagement ring.

While Shayne told reporters that Matt wanted her to keep the ring 'safe and clean and in a glass box — like a glass slipper,' Matt quickly spoke out with a different story:

'It wasn’t a "gift" so much. It’s not a television or a handbag. It’s a symbol of marriage that didn’t happen. I never said it was cool to just keep it. If she said we spoke about it, she just made it up. Sometimes she thinks she can say anything and I’ll go along with it. But at the end of the day, it was mine to give to her. And thus I’m like, ‘C’mon!’ I’m sure Shayne will agree it’s best going to charity.'

Ouch. So much for Matt declaring Shayne to be 'the most sincere person he knows' in the Bachelor finale. But perhaps it was just a 'misunderstanding.'

So, Shayne is taking a meeting with E! Entertainment. Hmm.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

As predicted....they are toast in how many months? Um....????
    Still hopeless to see a GREAT romance!! <3

Quote Originally Posted by hopelessroman;3187729;
    As predicted....they are toast in how many months? Um....????

How about from day 1
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456