+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: 5/12 'Finale' Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/12 'Finale' Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

[QUOTE=chrisg;2992573;]
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobie;2992515;
    According to Nielsen fresh out of the oven, the "most romantic" finale had a rating of only 5 where below 7 would've been considered dangerous ground for the survival of any prime time programs.

I'm not sure what Nielsen fresh out of the oven is and just googled it and couldn't find it. This is what zap2it.com has for last night's ratings:
    "The Bachelor: London Calling posted a 6.4/11 for ABC." The second number is the share of the audience and the ratings number is the first number. While they are significantly below the ratings and share numbers for DWTS, they are about where the Bachelor has been, ratings-wise, for several seasons.

These ratings are also far higher than any talk show, with the possible exception of Oprah, so I don't think ratings is the driving factor with the lack of media interest, I think it's fatigue with the show's lack of results, ie, lasting relationships.

The Bachelor is an incredibly cheap show to produce and--unless the share number (as in share of the audience--the second number) consistently drops below 8, I think we'll have many more seasons of the Bachelor.
    ABC's ratings for The Bachelor aren't great in comparison to some other reality shows like DWTS or American Idol, but like you said, it's cheap to produce, and the audience it does have is a very loyal attentive audience. So as long as they can cast it and come up with ideas, I think it'll stick around.

But ratings aren't the only way a network judges shows. If it were, the top shows would always stay, and the lower rated shows would always go. There are other factors as well, including "water cooler chat". At one time, The Bachelor was one of those shows that even if you didn't watch, you had some general idea of when it was airing, and what was happening. For example, my mom has never watched it, but she knows there's a cute couple somewhere out west who met on the show, got married and had a baby. It THAT respect, I think that interest in the show is declining. Even on other ABC produced shows like The View, there hasn't been a lot of chatter about The Bachelor this time around. Part of that is probably that this cast was rather bland. Matt wasn't a total player, but wasn't the ultimate prince charming either. The witchy women weren't THAT bad by Bachelor standards, and the trampy women were weeded out early. HEck, one of hte top three women had a family so bland and boring that they brought in a fake family for a practical joke!

I think that after they filmed it, they realized they didn't have a great deal of drama -- that's why many of the episodes that are usually extended (hometown dates, meeting his family) were only an hour this time. It wasn't the ratings - it was a lack of content.

So, since this time around didn't generate a great deal of pop culture chatter, there was not as much desire to interview Matt and Shayne on the talk shows that cover tha sort of thing.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

A note regarding Chelsea - or rather Chelsea's dress. Yowza! I was scared we would get that second crotch shot of her as she walked toward Matt. (The first being in the bathroom when Amanda was getting ready for the 50's date.) In other words, did she not practice walking in front a mirror before deciding on the dress? Sorry - just had to get that off my mind.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by sketchgrrl;2991616;
    Am I the only one wondering why Shayne and Matt aren't on any of the TV news shows this morning? I would think that The Bachelor wants to capitalize on their love story to promote the show. Could it be that Shayne and Matt want privacy? But does that make sense, considering they were open enough to be on The Bachelor to begin with? I hope the fact that they're not on TV today as a follow up isn't a sign that things are not good with their relationship. I mean, I'm rooting for them to be happy.
    I think they aren't on any shows because she already dumped him for greener wallets..I mean pastures.

Ariel you beat me to the punch by one post! I was wondering if Chelsea had ever tried that dress on before the FRC and noticed that there was a very fine line between PG and X rated. :nono I sure hope for her sake she had boy shorts underneath because I thought I saw something when the wind took the dress up ala Marilyn Monroe.

Not picking on her because I actually liked her and hoped she would get the FRC, I just didn't want that to be why we remembered her!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2992678;
    A note regarding Chelsea - or rather Chelsea's dress. Yowza! I was scared we would get that second crotch shot of her as she walked toward Matt. (The first being in the bathroom when Amanda was getting ready for the 50's date.) In other words, did she not practice walking in front a mirror before deciding on the dress? Sorry - just had to get that off my mind.

Seriously people, what man with even half a brain would genuinely propose marriage to a woman who:

1. Freely admits to being "high maintenance".
    2. Has more shoes than conversation.
    3. Lives a Hollywood lifestyle
    4. Left a broken home at 17 to live presumably on her own
    5. Comes from parents with multiple marriages
    6. Didn't mind him dating other women on a dating show
    7. Wants people to view her as a dumb blond

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2992796;
    Seriously people, what man with even half a brain would genuinely propose marriage to a woman who:

Matt?
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

Check out my reality! AZHotFlash's Avatar

They are going to be on ELLEN tomorrow...
    Wasting away another summer...

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2992796;

you pretty much described me

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2992002;
    I've watched most of them and I honestly think that this one has a chance. We'll see, but I like the girl. I really do.
    ITA. I actually thought it was one of the sweetest, most romantic, and since FRC, if not the most. I wish them luck.

FORT Newbie

Shayne is also now featured on the magazine cover, Girls Gone Wild...

The Bachelor Winner Poses For Girls Gone Wild Magazine - PEOPLE TV Watch

(You'll have to google it - I'm too new to post a URL)

I wish them luck, it doesn't seem to have taken long to get publicity... and "Girls Gone Wild"? I guess I expected something a bit more dignified...

+ Reply to Thread