+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Amanda R. - Bachelor London

Re: Amanda R. - Bachelor London

So my questions: can a really good actor fake body language?
    I think it's imperative. When I think back to some of the best performances I have ever seen, the body language of the actor has been utterly convincing. I dont think that Matt could necessarily pull it off, but remember that he had the benefit of editing to make it look good. Also, for a while there, he may have been genuinely attracted to or intrigued by Amanda (or any of the others).

Quote Originally Posted by DEW;2968342;
    Could you put your post in the body language thread in the spoilers section? I don't know how many people continue to read this thread since Amanda has been eliminated. I really like your observations and would love to hear Lynn's take as well. Thanks.
    I was on my way to bed, when I realized I hadn't looked at this thread today. And I adore Amanda! I'll try to get the post over to the BL thread.

ITA, pajamasam! To me good acting includes appropriate body language. Sometimes I think that the really great ones can "get into" a role so deeply, they even exhibit autonomic responses appropriate to the role. But I would think any actor that skilled would be on scripted shows...
    Last edited by lyb5007; 05-05-2008 at 02:03 AM.
    It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons- Johann Schiller ~and daughters.

FORT Fogey

Re: Amanda R. **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by She2kat;2967958;
    I wish I could remember the Author of a book that I read about Birth Order. I never finished reading it and have since misplaced it but...... It was quite interesting to read about a youngest child and the oldest child. Matt is the baby of his family and is following in behavior as the book said. idk if Amanda is the eldest or the baby since we saw so little of her. My guess might be that she is the younger sibling. With her pranks and sense of humor she too might be the youngest. IMHO, Matt could have had a problem down the road with not being the most funny, gregarious, and silly of the couple.
    Wish I could find that darn book. Since reading the Fort I get nothing done in my house anymore. It's probably under the laundry pile waiting to be washed.
    I'm happy to *brag* that I did get my laundry done today. I haven't been grocery shopping yet but I do admit to giving my son my debit card to go pick up take out (pizza; spaghetti and ribs - it's truly HORRIBLE that these restaurants are so close).

I recall reading similar books about birth order. As far as I know Amanda is the eldest and has a younger sister. She typifies the eldest child. Mature. Accomplished. Educated. While my own eldest isn't as educated or accomplished she is married with two little girls and is the best mother out there. That's an accomplishment in my books. Matt is the youngest of five boys. Hmmm. My youngest (12) still seems to think that charm and charisma are going to get him everywhere

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by my#1distraction;2968146;
    I'm putting this post in this thread because I am an Amanda fan and even if others think " this is so yesterday, give it a rest".

I am such a big believer in the messages body language show. I'm trying to encourage my son to do his college senior thesis project on body language.

So my questions: can a really good actor fake body language? I can see some body posture and mannerisms faked, but how consistently can it be covered? Reading Lynn's takes on what she saw between Matt and Amanda just seemed like it wasn't fake-albeit shown with a Fleiss edit. The laughs, especially the head back and bent over laughter, the intensity of looks, the sparkles, the reaching in or bringing Amanda into his space.

I think the body language shown was even more telling considering Matt kept Amanda on the back burner-IMHO based on this part of recent interview with Amanda:

Do you think receiving the first-impression rose maybe gave you or him a false sense of comfort about the relationship? Amanda:In a way I think it might have been a negative because in the next few Rose Ceremonies I didn't have any time with him, and he was saying, "It's because I knew I was going to give you a rose." But I think it was a negative because the other girls were getting to spend time with him and actually have conversations, whereas with us it was still all based on look.

I also believe voice intonations give clues. I loved the way Matt said at the diner; "I'm not lying. I promise you." and the intensity of his discussion with the fake dad, and then when Matt wants to pull Amanda in to comfort her when he thinks she is embarrassed because her Fake mom was drunk. Whether they were or not, they seemed like genuine tender moments to me. Could it have led to starting a relationship-who knows, but the need for a good season and bringing in a Fleiss connection actress didn't help.

I wish someone would track down that fake dad and find out what Matt told him before the fake mom went outside.

Another question for Lynn. That look that seemed to be from Matt was believed in March to be watching Amanda do the limbo. Does the look signal any different meaning knowing that it came during a dinner conversation? And did you observe Matt's body language changing back and forth at all during the FD or the dumping speech and the shutting of the limo door? I was wondering if the face/body clues showed indifference to wishfulness or interest to indifference or I don't know what.

I just think something happened after the HT and the FD. Maybe Fliess put some contracts under Matt's nose and said " who would have guessed you'd make some connections with other girls, the story will still end the same"

I apologize to anyone thinking I am just beating on a dead horse-or cow. I've been thinking about this for over a week until I could get back to the forums and maybe this will help me give it a rest. I don't know why I am so invested in this show. I need to move on to DeAnna's -my first bachelorette season. I think I'll concentrate on the red phone booth and DB until May 19.

Thanks to any and all responses. Bachelor FORTERS are great.
    Your post was brought to my attention in another thread.

can a really good actor fake body language?

Yes, they can. In fact, I touched on this last season. Jamie Foxx was *so* good in his impersonation of "Ray" Charles that even his own son had to take double takes. Jamie and Nicholas Cage and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Sean Penn are incredible actors who have this innate ability to mimic, not only the talk, but the mannerisms and body language of the people they imitate.

Sadly, for Matt, I would never in a million years even consider putting him in the same class as these actors. Was his laughter with Amanda pure, unadulterated freedom of expression? Yes!

I think the body language shown was even more telling considering Matt kept Amanda on the back burner

Absolutely! And this is why, for me, anyway, I saw so much more than the edit. What we *were* shown was *so* incredibly telling. The other deafies (affectionate term for deaf and hard of hearing) as well as people who hear but read body language have all had the same opinion. Why is that? You'd think that *someone* would come out and disagree. This season? Nobody has.

I know for a fact, with me, the FIR had nothing to do with my impressions. Even before the series started I came out and posted that there was something between Matt and the dark hair with reddish highlights girl in the screencaps (eventually known as Amanda); they were giving off a 'duration vibe.' Still, when the show premiered I tried to keep an open mind about that knowing full well the 'rumours' about a set up.

Matt was completely into Amanda. Even at the hometown date he expressed genuine concern for her embarrassment. He was legitimate in the questions he was asking fake dad. I do think he caught on at some point during the date but I couldn't give you an exact minute without watching it again. The time that they had after the family date was completely open. His body language, which was also confirmed by other deafies, read as complete surrender to her. What changed? It's possible, and, I say, possible, that after the HTD sunk in he wasn't really impressed after all. Maybe he felt embarrassed. Maybe he felt humiliated on TV. Maybe he can dish it but he can't take it. I don't know the guy nor do I want to.

I also believe voice intonations give clues.

While I'm not the best with this topic I can say that the way he called her name (facial expression; body language) for roses; the way he gave them to her; the way he tried to reassure her; the way he deflected embarrassment from her (because she meeped) to himself told me all I needed to know. He really liked this woman. Did he fall in love? Obviously not since he's getting married in six weeks to Shayne

Another question for Lynn. That look that seemed to be from Matt was believed in March to be watching Amanda do the limbo. Does the look signal any different meaning knowing that it came during a dinner conversation?

Yes, it does though not because of the situation. At the *moment* he had that expression she was going on and on about how wonderful he was. To be completely honest? The expression read more like a guy who has a big ego and it was being stroked and he liked it. Prior to watching that scene, and only having the screencap, it read like pure lust and affection. It's another reason why I don't like reading photos. They are a moment, taken out of context in many cases. It's another reason why I was *so* looking forward to seeing the Matt/Shayne bed moment because she looked to maybe be teary eyed while talking to him. No, we don't see her face. It's her body language and his toward her that led me to that observation before the season started.

Oopps, just noticed Amanda wince (left dominant - right not sure - depending upon what her dominant side is). Never saw that before. While they are on the bed. He's telling her that he really, really enjoys being with her...she winces...like she doesn't believe that. Hmmm. Still, I think, until she left, that she *did* believe they would get married.
    Last edited by Lynn7; 05-05-2008 at 05:09 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by momsunshine;2968178;
    I am not an expert in reading body language or anything, but I do know that bias can alter judgment in everything. I really like Amanda, but I didn't see any sparks there, in fact I didn't see much at all because we were not shown anything. Now I understand, there wasn't much to show. Every single third person on this show opens up and then gets dumped. Is it nice? Not really. Is it the way the show works? Absolutely.

I listened to Matt's radio interview today and I personally did not see anything that was cruel. It was all in jest. Maybe not the best type of joke because they were mostly satirical and put downs, but that is his type of humour and I think Amanda would know that best.

I personally think Matt did not pick her because there wasn't anything there. I don't feel that Shayne was hired for this show. I also really like Chelsea. I actually liked all three girls. This is the part of the season every time that becomes heated and personal, so in a way I am really glad that I like all of the final girls because it just makes the show enjoyable.
    That's fair enough. I think, that what you might miss, is the body langugage that *is* there, beyond the screaming, blatant edit for the other girls.

I'm NOT biased. I watch this show for purely selfish reasons. I have only, once, allowed myself to get attached, and that was to Ryan in Trista's seaon. I was willing to move to Vail, Colorado and search him out if Trista rejected him...alas, she picked him as I thought she would.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by seeker;2961642;
    Amanda on Ellen's show said she was shocked bec' he had repeated the same thing he said in PI on epi 1 before he gave her the FIR - "if I were to draw my perfect woman I would draw her"
    You know, I said exactly this (well, with "perfect man" in it) while dumping a guy. What I meant was: If I were thinking in the abstract about just exactly what I wanted, that person would look like you, have a job like you, have a personality like yours. And yet in real life ... I'm just not feeling it with you. So, although you're perfect and wonderful, you're not for me.

That being the case, I don't see why this couldn't have been a perfectly true statement. Would you rather have someone say -- Wow, I really don't like you or think you're much at all?

Frankly, I'd rather be told I'm perfect but "I'm not that into you," than told that I have this and that deficiency when it comes to being the person they're looking for. Whether or not someone is "that into you" is what it all comes down to in the end, anyway. The person you'd choose according to a checklist of characteristics is rarely the person you choose when you actually interact with them, in my experience, particularly if you have other people to choose from at the time.

Fellow Amanda fans, I had the pleasure of hearing Amanda on the radio this morning while taking my son to school! I posted what I could remember of the conversation in the Spoilers Media Thread if you're interested (it's really long so I don't want to post it again). Nothing new, particularly, but it was still interesting to me to hear her talk about her experiences on the show.

FORT Fogey

There is this tiny voice in my head that is still wondering if TPTB kept Amanda away from Matt in the early episodes. I know it is hard to believe Fleiss would keep a true romance from happening, but that idea is still with me. Matt sure looked very pleased to me in his PI before giving the FIR to Amanda. She now says that she didn't get to talk to him that much early one. I will always wonder about that. This is not to say the Matt would have picked Amanda anyway.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by onlyme;2969772;
    There is this tiny voice in my head that is still wondering if TPTB kept Amanda away from Matt in the early episodes. I know it is hard to believe Fleiss would keep a true romance from happening, but that idea is still with me. Matt sure looked very pleased to me in his PI before giving the FIR to Amanda. She now says that she didn't get to talk to him that much early one. I will always wonder about that. This is not to say the Matt would have picked Amanda anyway.

I don't know if its so much that they kept Amanda away but they made sure Shayne had her time and was front and center in Matts mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sluether28;2969787;
    I don't know if its so much that they kept Amanda away but they made sure Shayne had her time and was front and center in Matts mind.
    Maybe it was both? There must be some reason why they didn't give the FIR time alone with Matt, since the FIR has always had attention in the past. Maybe they didn't want Matt to stray from the set storyline?

+ Reply to Thread