Closed Thread
Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Bachelor 12 Media Thread

Re: Bachelor 12 Media Thread

Oh dear. On paper with their "wants" Matt and DeAnna look to be a match. She stated she wants a tall, dark, handsome gentleman who knows what he wants; and he wants a woman close to her family and ready for children. She would definately challenge him. Except for being a short brunette from a different religious background, they sound pretty good together.

This article brought a more human side to him than the PR blast from abc. The one thing they didn't mention was physical attributes desired - which as we know from HallP are probably in the blonde and busty range of body types.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

***The second paragraph may be a SPOILER**

This may need to be moved.

The Canadian Press: As the writer's strike winds down, reality TV continues to grow up

"You've got to know everything you've already done," says Mike Fleiss, "Bachelor" executive producer. "If you haven't really been around every day, you won't know what's fresh and what's not. Much like a writer, you just have to sit there and think of new twists and gimmicks. Sometimes it just pops up in front of you."

Click to see Spoiler:
    Such as when Fleiss learned that one of the female contestants on the upcoming 12th "Bachelor" season happened to have a "condition that has tremendous dramatic and comedic potential." It's a plot twist Fleiss says he would've never been able to think up on his own.

"When reality TV works well, it's completely unpredictable," say Fleiss. "That's the beauty of it. It's not so pat. It's not so scripted. I think that's why audiences initially responded to it in the beginning."
    Last edited by fluff; 02-13-2008 at 02:02 PM.

I love the oxymoron that ABC says he is a financier. . .

and citybankboss says. . .he couldn't afford a flat in London! And was always cash poor!

Hmm....which one is it?

I appreciate the fact that folks are on the site this time that have actually known him and are willing to post.

I sure hope the bach-ette that has posted on Matt and participating in the show posts too!

Quote Originally Posted by hopelessroman;2793299;
    I love the oxymoron that ABC says he is a financier. . .

and citybankboss says. . .he couldn't afford a flat in London! And was always cash poor!

Hmm....which one is it?

I appreciate the fact that folks are on the site this time that have actually known him and are willing to post.

I sure hope the bach-ette that has posted on Matt and participating in the show posts too!
    I've had friends work over in London and they say real estate over there is really expensive as is everything else. There is nothing unusual for people to be flating together nor renting out a room. Remembering he is only 27, who really is overly established financially at that age, not many!

Quote Originally Posted by suza19;2794091;
    I've had friends work over in London and they say real estate over there is really expensive as is everything else. There is nothing unusual for people to be flating together nor renting out a room. Remembering he is only 27, who really is overly established financially at that age, not many!
    Just from shows I watch that sell real estate over there I can't believe the prices . A dump can go for 200 to 300 thousand up and that is only about 500 to 700 square feet. I sure hope Fleiss hasn't made him out to be financially well off and he's not. I guess we'll see who's in it for the love then.

I was in London this time last year. It's outrageously expensive ! Agreed.

But that's not the same thing as permitting yourself to be portrayed as a 27-year old GLOBAL FINANCIER, where it is only true in the most petty, literal sense of people working in asset finance help rich clients finance purchases, of high end items, such as race cars and planes, or fleets of assets, etc.

But here's my point. At some point along the way in the fairy tale REALITY TV romance, will he disclose that he has no job or home to return to in London, so that a girl in mad "whither thou go-est" LOVE with him at the end of the 6 weeks of filming could make an informed choice?!

I don't hand Brad much credit, it's true, so here's a shout-out to Brad Womack. He was equal parts proud and humble and honest about his very obvious business success, and had the class to never exaggerate or flout it to the girls.

So, this sort of candor about the level of financial security he would be able to offer a mate is something to watch for in Matt Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;2794427;
    I was in London this time last year. It's outrageously expensive ! Agreed.

But that's not the same thing as permitting yourself to be portrayed as a 27-year old GLOBAL FINANCIER, where it is only true in the most petty, literal sense of people working in asset finance help rich clients finance purchases, of high end items, such as race cars and planes, or fleets of assets, etc.

But here's my point. At some point along the way in the fairy tale REALITY TV romance, will he disclose that he has no job or home to return to in London, so that a girl in mad "whither thou go-est" LOVE with him at the end of the 6 weeks of filming could make an informed choice?!

I don't hand Brad much credit, it's true, so here's a shout-out to Brad Womack. He was equal parts proud and humble and honest about his very obvious business success, and had the class to never exaggerate or flout it to the girls.

So, this sort of candor about the level of financial security he would be able to offer a mate is something to watch for in Matt Grant.
    Thanks for your post. I too am aware that London is outrageously expensive. Australia was too. We paid $1700 a month for rent for a two bedroom flat. At in other neighborhoods, it was $2500. And yet the Brits that came downunder said they thought it was a bargain.

I just think sometimes ABC flowers up the description of stuff. Like...Lorenzo the PRINCE. And things like that. Financier....is certainly different than...works at a bank. Ya know?

I agree, at least you knew Brad was successful. A jerk, who looked like a sweet humble honest guy . But successful.

Just stumbled across this blog. It has some funny tidbits.

'The Bachelor,' running out of fantasies
    By Rick Porter
    February 07, 04:51 PM

The newest Bachelor is a British guy. Matt Grant is tall and "charming," or so says ABC, and he probably does pretty well for himself in his finance career.

So on first glance, anyway, he seems to be what the show's non-WGA writers are fond of calling "the total package" -- handsome, successful, accented.

Don't discount the accent -- Grant's British-ness is the key selling point to this season's fantasy.

The Bachelor has always been about fulfilling a certain kind of romantic fantasy -- you've never seen, say, an electrician or a middle manager on the show. But as the show has dragged on and on and on (the new season will be its 12th), it seems to be grasping ever harder at some sort of perceived female ideal, be it in a romantic locale (Paris and Rome, a few seasons back) or in the Bachelor himself.

Look at some of the guys the show has featured in recent seasons: a quarterback (Jesse Palmer, now a surprisingly solid college football analyst for ESPN), a prince (Lorenzo Borghese), a doctor (Travis Stork, who got to court his women in Paris), an actor (Charlie O'Connell -- not a movie star, maybe, but reality TV isn't going to bring in Leonardo DiCaprio, is it?) and a naval officer (Andy Baldwin, who's a doctor as well). And now, (ABC hopes) a dashing Brit.

Ratings, somehow, are still OK, even though the show has a terrible track record in producing lasting relationships. Which tells me that the fantasy (and, probably, the schadenfreude of watching 25 women throw themselves at a guy that at least 24 of them won't end up with) has really become the selling point for the show.

With that in mind, we offer some suggestions for future Bachelor casting:

The Bachelor: Puppy Love. If Meredith Gray can fall for Finn (at least for a little while), then surely real women would fall for a handsome and sensitive veterinarian who cares for our four-legged friends. Group dates at the dog park, and instead of meeting the family, the final four women would have to bring their pets over to see if they're compatible with his.

The Bachelor: Music of My Heart. Women love musicians; it's a fact. We're thinking that a singer-songwriter type would be best here. He could make the hearts of all 25 women flutter by playing the piano at the first-night party, then express his love in a song for his chosen woman. Bad-boy rocker types need not apply; we already have that show, and it's called Rock of Love.

The Bachelor: Home on the Range. Sure, Joe Millionaire 2 tried to pass off a cowpoke as an object of desire, but the mythos of the American West was probably lost on the European women who were the dupes that season. My editor assures me that a stoic, rugged individualist in the Sam Elliott-Tommy Lee Jones mode, would set spurs a-janglin'.

The Bachelor: Shiver Me Timbers. One word: pirate. If it's good enough for dozens upon dozens of romance novels, then it's good enough for The Bachelor.

The Bachelor: Love Kills. If you Google "Spike Fanfic," you get better than 67,000 results. I don't know exactly how ABC will go about finding a real-life vampire to star in this season, but that's their problem. It'll play -- look at Moonlight, after all. And as a bonus, the romance is doomed from the start -- he's immortal, she's not; if he turns her, she loses her soul; and so on -- so ABC doesn't have to face questions about why the relationship didn't work.

Any "types" of guys you'd like to see as The Bachelor?

'The Bachelor,' running out of fantasies - From Inside the Box - Zap2it
    One thing I can give and still keep...is my word.

A pirate! Oooh , a pirate! Except Fleiss would make the girls who didnt get roses walk the plank.

I would like to see a few guys with normal jobs do this show. And I would like the producers to announce it in advance so that the golddigger types wouldnt apply. That would be refreshing. They could also lose the helicopter dates and the super luxury dates and I'd be fine. I didnt miss it during Outback Jack.

How about a park ranger/mountain man, a teacher or a firefighter?

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;2795916;
    A pirate! Oooh , a pirate! Except Fleiss would make the girls who didnt get roses walk the plank.

I would like to see a few guys with normal jobs do this show. And I would like the producers to announce it in advance so that the golddigger types wouldnt apply. That would be refreshing. They could also lose the helicopter dates and the super luxury dates and I'd be fine. I didnt miss it during Outback Jack.

How about a park ranger/mountain man, a teacher or a firefighter?
    Refreshing like cold water on a hot summers day in the outback... Some real people and no acting reality Tv that would be great. Maybe you should email Fleiss or get a petition going, I would be the first one to sign.

Closed Thread