+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Byron and Mary - The New Thread

Re: Byron and Mary - The New Thread

I may be in the minority here - but IMO I really don't thing this is a big deal. I bet there are a lot of couples out there who have had longtime successful relationships that may have a few totally out of character shoving matches hidden in their closet brought about my extraodinary circumstances or stresses. This may not be PC but IMO I don't see it as the same thing as a man hitting a women. I believe the cut on the lip was a fluke and Byron at no time was scared or in danger.

I do think its very ironic though if that cut was caused by the diamond ring which ABC bought for their engagement! Now what a hoot is that?!

Ok I'm going to vent now - its like all this zero tolerance crap in schools etc. - but why then do we have all these award winning movies which have some kind of fight as its climax? In fact just even think about Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" - doesn't she have a hiting fit on Rhet? At times, as a society we are very hypocritical when it comes to violence. Fighting when it comes down to it, is normal animal behaviour and as much as we try to rise above it, we are only human and a slave to our instincts. I'm not condoning this type of behaviour and we should always strive to be better people but in the end we all make mistakes like this sometime. Its just too bad theirs is being splashed all over the media.
    Last edited by Krispy; 11-30-2007 at 11:46 AM.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy;2699442;
    I may be in the minority here - but IMO I really don't thing this is a big deal. I bet there are a lot of couples out there who have had longtime successful relationships that may have a few totally out of character shoving matches hidden in their closet brought about my extraodinary circumstances or stresses. This may not be PC but IMO I don't see it as the same thing as a man hitting a women. I believe the cut on the lip was a fluke and Byron at no time was scared or in danger.

I do think its very ironic though if that cut was caused by the diamond ring which ABC bought for their engagement! Now what a hoot is that?!

Ok I'm going to vent now - its like all this zero tolerance crap in schools etc. - but why then do we have all these award winning movies which have some kind of fight as its climax? In fact just even think about Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" - doesn't she have a hiting fit on Rhet? At times, as a society we are very hypocritical when it comes to violence. Fighting when it comes down to it, is normal animal behaviour and as much as we try to rise above it, we are only human and a slave to our instincts. I'm not condoning this type of behaviour and we should always strive to be better people but in the end we all make mistakes like this sometime. Its just too bad theirs is being splashed all over the media.
    Krispy, I think there is a lot of truth in what you said.

I don't understand why Byron called 911 though. He obviously wasn't afraid of Mary. If this had been a pattern of behavior on Mary's part, why not leave sleeping Mary in the truck, then broken it off with Mary later. I think he looks as bad as Mary in the incident by using 911 in clearly a non-emergency. He could have even gone to the police station and filled out an incident report.

As you say, every long-term relationship has moments that you aren't proud of, and counseling could help. If I was Mary, I don't know how I would react to having my mug shot plastered all over the internet. She may not want to work things out.

imo, Either one or both of the following is TRUE:
    1. Mary did a VERY wrong out of line thing, went crazy and got arrested because of it
    2. Byron did a VERY wrong out of line thing by calling the police on Mary when she had only lightly slapped him and her ring did the rest.

One or both of these people seriously need(s) anger control counseling IMO. Call me naive but, as RandalR said, not every need police intervention in order to break up. JMHO

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy;2699442;
    In fact just even think about Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" - doesn't she have a hiting fit on Rhet? At times, as a society we are very hypocritical when it comes to violence.
    But that was the 1860s, 140 years before PC.

Quote Originally Posted by tabby cat;2699644;
    But that was the 1860s, 140 years before PC.

...see - some things never change...

(The book was actually written and published in the 1930's although set during the American revolution.)

Hating finales since 2006 finalefan's Avatar

Before listening to Byron's 911 call, I was thinking along the lines of, "Wow. Mary did what?! Poor Byron! No wonder he didn't look happy at the ATFR, if his fiancee is the type to do this once, she's probably done it before and will do it again."

AFTER listening to the 911 call, I still can't discount the idea that maybe this is a pattern with Mary, all getting out of control and stuff. But on the call, he sounded out of control, too. Just, I dunno, the swear words and calling Mary a b*, and personally I think he sounds drunk. Not sure I feel sorry for him. It's not even clear on the call WHY he's calling 911 -- says he doesn't want a paramedic, but wants to reiterate about his split lip. He doesn't SAY he wants Mary arrested, but I can only conclude that he was indeed calling for the express purpose of getting Mary arrested. I wonder if Mary had to give a statement when she was arrested -- would be interesting to hear her side of the story.
    Don't bore us, get to the chorus. - M. Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by finalefan;2699771;
    Before listening to Byron's 911 call, I was thinking along the lines of, "Wow. Mary did what?! Poor Byron! No wonder he didn't look happy at the ATFR, if his fiancee is the type to do this once, she's probably done it before and will do it again."

AFTER listening to the 911 call, I still can't discount the idea that maybe this is a pattern with Mary, all getting out of control and stuff. But on the call, he sounded out of control, too. Just, I dunno, the swear words and calling Mary a b*, and personally I think he sounds drunk. Not sure I feel sorry for him. It's not even clear on the call WHY he's calling 911 -- says he doesn't want a paramedic, but wants to reiterate about his split lip. He doesn't SAY he wants Mary arrested, but I can only conclude that he was indeed calling for the express purpose of getting Mary arrested. I wonder if Mary had to give a statement when she was arrested -- would be interesting to hear her side of the story.

Can you pm me the link where I can hear the 911 call?

TIA !!!

Google Byron's 911 call. It comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2699809;
    Google Byron's 911 call. It comes up.

Thanks !!!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine any of this happening without alcohol playing a role.

In that context, Byron's statements don't surprise me in the least.

If my suspicions are right, I hope they both get substance abuse counseling and use that as a new starting point in the relationship.

+ Reply to Thread