+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 209 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Thoughts on Bachelor 11

FORT Fan

Final Thoughts on Bachelor 11

When the series first started and Brad made comments like “I am very happy with the way things turned out” I didn't think he found love. As the series started and I got to know the "made for TV" version of some of the ladies I was hoping he could find a love connection because it seemed like there were some great women to choose from. Looking back at his comments in the interviews he gave I am not surprised at the outcome.

Will Brad's decision jeopardize the future of the franchise? Remember the uproar over Jen's decision and how the show went off the air for a year? Will the series return or is it marked for cancellation?

FORT Newbie

Re: Final Thoughts on Bachelor 11

As I wrote today, I think Brad's decision was one of the more genuine moments ever on "The Bachelor." I doubt it will have any long-term consequences - for the show, anyway.

It was nice to see The Bachelor reveal his true feelings for a change and not just pick one of the girls simply because that's how the show works. This would only create trouble if that were the outcome every time. I mean, that is the outcome every time, but at least they usually fake it until after the series is done.

The more important question for the long-term health of "The Bachelor" is whether Brad was just too dull. To me, the season seemed overly safe and pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by leeniel;2683131;
    Will Brad's decision jeopardize the future of the franchise? Remember the uproar over Jen's decision and how the show went off the air for a year? Will the series return or is it marked for cancellation?
    I don't think the series is in any danger. Fleiss got what he wanted: people are talking about this show again. Plus, with the writers' strike, all reality shows are in a good position. They're just about the only thing that can be produced for a while. So I think the next season will be rushed into production as soon as they find another Bachelor.

Now, my thoughts? I'm still processing them, but here's what I'll say at this point:
    1. I never saw a romance, though I liked both DeDe and Jenni. I kept wondering what I was missing.
    2. I think Brad did the right thing in rejecting them both IF he was only interested in finding a wife and IF he thought they were neither one suitable.
    3. However, I think he's a major commitment-phobe.
    4. And I hated the way he pulled their confessions of love from them before the FRC. That was manipulative.
    5. I wonder if Fleiss was behind #4.
    6. Despite what I said about the show continuing, if this becomes a pattern, there won't be more than one or two seasons. And now that this is an option, I think it's entirely possible someone else will try it and the show will tank.
    7. Fleiss will think he's being clever and not understand why his show is dying.
    8. It will serve him right.
    9. And I think Fleiss is the biggest mysogynist of all -- he really doesn't seem to respect or even like women, except maybe as sex objects.

For having nothing to say, I said a lot, I guess.

FORT Newbie

For me the outcome isn't the major issue it's the presentation. It's just wierd to invest myself in a show that intentionally tries to trick you and conceal all crucial information. It's like watching a trial where the verdict, the evidence, and the jury are all cut out and you focus on the plantiff's favorite color, the defendant's love of dancing, and random members of the gallery.

I don't intend to watch the show anymore because what's the point of being lied to for an hour a week and being led to believe in stories that are completely fabricated?

Quote Originally Posted by leeniel;2683131;
    When the series first started and Brad made comments like “I am very happy with the way things turned out” I didn't think he found love. As the series started and I got to know the "made for TV" version of some of the ladies I was hoping he could find a love connection because it seemed like there were some great women to choose from. Looking back at his comments in the interviews he gave I am not surprised at the outcome.

I don't think it's his decision that might jeopardize the future of the show. When all is said and done, Brad made an honest decision, even if it wasn't a very satisfying ending for most of us. We all have to remember that "The Bachelor" is real life for a few people --- we're just observers and our lives aren't affected one way or the other, no matter how each season turns out.

But, that being said, while I do appreciate the honesty that went into reaching the conclusion that neither girl was the right one, I don't appreciate the manipulation that lead up to last night's shocker. It was unfair to us, but more importantly, it was unfair to the people involved.

The women who reached the final stages - especially Jenni and DeAnna - were constantly poked and prodded to "open up" and "tell me how you really feel." They ended up looking like fools for simply doing what was asked of them.

Brad ended up looking like an idiot for all of those dreamy PIs and conversations in which he went on and on ad nauseum about how he could see himself with this woman or that woman and why. If that was true, then things would have ended differently last night.

All the editing in the world can't hide the fact that Brad's decision was obviously not a last minute one. You don't just wake up in the morning and make a decision that could affect your future and someone else's. When they went through the whole "choosing a ring" act - obviously that's all it was. There's no way I'll ever believe that Brad hadn't already firmly decided he wasn't going to give that ring to anyone.

So basically, everybody involved ended up looking like a fool and for that I put the blame squarely on ABC's shoulders. I don't blame DeAnna or Jenni for doing their best to make their feelings known; I don't blame Brad for making an honest decision that he thought was best for himself and everyone else.

I DO blame ABC for manipulating them and us with the constant tease and I guess to some extent I also blame Brad for going along with it since he could have halted things earlier and saved both DeAnna and Jenni some hurt and televised embarrassment.

So the show doesn't have to end --- but I think it's definitely got to change.

We're not stupid and we all learned long ago not to fall for the "most amazing..." or "most romantic..." or "most dramatic..." whatever teases. Now we've also learned that just because "the bachelor" goes on and on about how he can see himself spending the rest of his life with somebody else - he doesn't necessarily mean a word of it.

ABC needs to inject some honesty into the show from day one....or it will be the end.
    Love lives forever <3

FORT Fan

Hi....I usually just lurk but after last night's "ending" I have some thoughts..and questions. Like many people I DO understand why he would not propose marriage but I keep wondering why the finality of it all?? WHY wouldn't he suggest they just "get to know each other' in the RW, date, etc? Other bachelors have done this, with a promise ring, a plane ticket. Yes, it is not all that "satisfying" to the viewers' but it gives an illusion of a happy ending till the breakup hits the gossip rags.

I wonder : some of you had posted that this season was "cut short" or the shows were shortened ?? Can you explain that?? I personally thought this season had little "flair", no really romantic locales, even the "fantasy suites" were sort of lackluster. It also had few twists (ie, no stalker, no lush European castles, etc). The "twin" was hardly much of a twist, I don't even think they look alike!

I actually liked Charlies ending...date em both in real life....then pick. I guess Brad didn't even want that. That also makes me wonder...did Brad cool off when he brought them to meet his family?? Maybe passed on messages from his ex in Texas?? Could that be the reason he cooled down so much??

I really hope that they ask him some REAL questions..when did he decide to break it off altogether?? Why didn't he at least try dating?? Did his "ex" have a part in his decision?? Thanks for any feedback on these ideas and I would also appreciate anyone who can point out the "shortening"(?) of this season !!

FORT Fanatic

I just wanted to add that the posts on this thread are really thoughtful and probably right on the money.

I agree that this will not hurt future Bachelor seasons and I also agree that Brad did the right thing.

Last, but not least, I think that ABC or whomever allows this stuff to go out over the airwaves was truly deceptive and misleading and that they should be the ones who are embarrassed...not Brad or the girls.

I wanted to thank the people who posted before me in this thread because what you wrote makes a lot of sense out of a situation that we may never fully understand.

Quote Originally Posted by estygal4;2683268;
    I would also appreciate anyone who can point out the "shortening"(?) of this season !!
    Welcome estygal4 to posting. The season wasn't shortened, but the episodes were. After a 1 1/2 hr premiere rather than the usual 2 hour premiere, we then had shows at 58 min and one at 45 min. The timing of the show is being attributed to a longer Dancing with the Stars and the debut of a 30 min sitcom at 9:30. Hmm. Anyway, we are also used to viewing a 2 hour Finale episode - cut to 58 min. this season. The reason for that as we know was that there was no reason to promote or prolong any romance or suspense.

It's just been a short-changed season all around from the too-honest bachelor with the limited charisma to emphasis on high school mean girls gone wild. What they couldn't induce with personality, they induced with snottiness.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Didn't Jen Schefft do something similar by not choosing either F2 when she was the Bachelorette?

Granted, it may have been just hype to keep us tuned in, but why were we told "you have to watch from the beginning to understand how it ends"?

Maybe because the show opened with shirtless Brad making eggs by himself?

+ Reply to Thread