+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 209 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Thoughts on Bachelor 11

FORT Fanatic

Re: Final Thoughts on Bachelor 11

I, too, will add my final thoughts. I don't mind admitting this was a much more difficult season emotionally than it should have been. I've never been an ambulance chaser or a gawker and during the FRC and AFRC, I felt like I was in those roles. Made my skin crawl.

Yet, I did thoroughly enjoyed the sleuthing--not that I contributed anything magical or even especially revealing. I am in awe of the skills represented here.

In terms of the future Bachelor season, I keep wondering if there isn't a way to fix part of what plagues the longevity of these relationships. Someone else suggested that there be fewer women from the start and that the Bachelor have a greater hand in their selection. I agree.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be more promising to have there be a gap built in at the point of the Final Two. Say, the time usually spent between the filming and airing of the traditional FRC. In other words, the Bachelor narrows to two women. At that point they date as naturally and privately as possible, but since each knows about the other, there wouldn't be such a veil of secrecy. (And all women would know this is the plan going in.) ABC flies him to each of the ladies and they to him. No lavish dates, except, perhaps, the very last one. In fact, the couples decide the dates. Filming for the episodes would also include lots of private time, not to mention the freedom of phone calls and email. This would enable all three to continue to carry on their lives since it's unlikely the Bachelor or either lady could be off work that long. Not ideal, but more time together to explore and be present in the other's reality.

And then, a Final Rose ceremony. NO WTA. Spend the time on the FRC and AFRC.

Would the results be any better? Even this is not ideal, I know. And maybe it's utterly beyond Fleiss to care that real people are getting hurt and real people are watching that happen.

To respond to Jason's question about longterm, happy marriages...My husband and I met six years before we first had a date when he designed a set for a show I was directing. No "butterflies," but friendship began. During the next six years, we continued to be do theater and traveled in the same circles. We both were dating others--he more casually, mine needing to end. Fast forward to him casually asking me to a football game at our mutual alma mater. October 3, 1987. Something changed that day as we talked and talked and talked. I ended my long-term relationship two days later. I know the "ex" was relieved--should have guessed when he didn't mind my going to the game, although at the time, I wasn't thinking of it as a "date," either. Anyway, he said later he knew it was time. Paul and I continued to date from that day on and the relationship grew. Grew pretty quickly, because he proposed just short of four months after that first "date." We just knew. But not in a eureka moment of, "This is the one! Forever and ever! OMG!!" Still, it didn't take long, once we gave it a chance with open hearts. One year and five days later, we got married. That was October 8, 1988. We were both 33 and neither of us had been married before. (The "ex" came to the wedding--and no, he never did marry...there is a hint in here.) Each day, each and EVERY day, I count my blessings.

And maybe this IS why I watch The Bachelor and have since B1. I do believe in love and romance and magic. But I also believe in commitment and truth and trust.

This is what I hope DeAnna, most of all, will find. I think Jenni may have already. For Brad, it SHOULD BE a long time away. But he IS worthy of having it all. He just needs to learn what it REALLY looks like.

Thanks to the FORT for a GREAT season in many, many ways. A standing O to you ALL!
    Last edited by Tiger Pride Mom; 11-23-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pride Mom;2689022;
    I, too, will add my final thoughts. I don't mind admitting this was a much more difficult season emotionally than it should have been. I've never been an ambulance chaser or a gawker and during the FRC and AFRC, I felt like I was in those roles. Made my skin crawl.

Yet, I did thoroughly enjoyed the sleuthing--not that I contributed anything magical or even especially revealing. I am in awe of the skills represented here.

In terms of the future Bachelor season, I keep wondering if there isn't a way to fix part of what plagues the longevity of these relationships. Someone else suggested that there be fewer women from the start and that the Bachelor have a greater hand in their selection. I agree.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be more promising to have there be a gap built in at the point of the Final Two. Say, the time usually spent between the filming and airing of the traditional FRC. In other words, the Bachelor narrows to two women. At that point they date as naturally and privately as possible, but since each knows about the other, there wouldn't be such a veil of secrecy. (And all women would know this is the plan going in.) ABC flies him to each of the ladies and they to him. No lavish dates, except, perhaps, the very last one. In fact, the couples decide the dates. Filming for the episodes would also include lots of private time, not to mention the freedom of phone calls and email. This would enable all three to continue to carry on their lives since it's unlikely the Bachelor or either lady could be off work that long. Not ideal, but more time together to explore and be present in the other's reality.

And then, a Final Rose ceremony. NO WTA. Spend the time on the FRC and AFRC.

Would the results be any better? Even this is not ideal, I know. And maybe it's utterly beyond Fleiss to care that real people are getting hurt and real people are watching that happen.

To respond to Jason's question about longterm, happy marriages...My husband and I met six years before we first had a date when he designed a set for a show I was directing. No "butterflies," but friendship began. During the next six years, we continued to be do theater and traveled in the same circles. We both were dating others--he more casually, mine needing to end. Fast forward to him casually asking me to a football game at our mutual alma mater. October 3, 1987. Something changed that day as we talked and talked and talked. I ended my long-term relationship two days later. I know the "ex" was relieved--should have guessed when he didn't mind my going to the game, although at the time, I wasn't thinking of it as a "date," either. Anyway, he said later he knew it was time. Paul and I continued to date from that day on and the relationship grew. Grew pretty quickly, because he proposed just short of four months after that first "date." We just knew. But not in a eureka moment of, "This is the one! Forever and ever! OMG!!" Still, it didn't take long, once we gave it a chance with open hearts. One year and five days later, we got married. That was October 8, 1988. We were both 33 and neither of us had been married before. (The "ex" came to the wedding--and no, he never did marry...there is a hint in here.) Each day, each and EVERY day, I count my blessings.

And maybe this IS why I watch The Bachelor and have since B1. I do believe in love and romance and magic. But I also believe in commitment and truth and trust.

This is what I hope DeAnna, most of all, will find. I think Jenni may have already. For Brad, it SHOULD BE a long time away. But he IS worthy of having it all. He just needs to learn what it REALLY looks like.

Thanks to the FORT for a GREAT season in many, many ways. A standing O to you ALL!

Great ideas, one of the best post I have read in a long time.

FORT Regular

My final thoughts…..it’s an (un) “reality” dating show—end of story.

I liked Brad….a lot. I would have loved for him to find a woman with whom he felt he could spend his life. But the odds of this happening under the circumstances of the show aren’t very good.

Should he have settled? Of course not!
    Does he have commitment issues? How the heck do I know? I can say that just because he didn’t choose to pursue a relationship with either of the final two woman doesn’t make this so.

Should he have led any of these women on? A more difficult question to answer given this is the premise of the show for all but the woman ultimately selected. Since he selected no one…….

Ultimately, this season failed in that its edited story didn’t jive with its resolution. I blame Fleiss for this. To feel comfortable with a story’s ending, we the viewers have to see how it came to be. However, rather than tackling this head on, Fleiss side-stepped it and instead focused his season on the “bachelorettes gone wild.” We saw very little of Brad’s interactions with the F2 ladies. (Deanna didn’t even have a 1-1 date with him until the FD for heaven’s sake.)

The deplorable ATFRC was Fleiss’ attempt to backtrack from his failed editing and it bombed miserably. I feel terribly for both Brad and Deanna but it is what it is. Fleiss treated neither well. I have no doubt that both of these wonderful people will find their life partners but it isn’t going to be together. No matter how much Deanna fell in love, Brad simply didn’t. End of a story pathetically told.

Finally….What made this season memorable for me was Jenni….I absolutely adored her! Not only was she gorgeous on the outside, but I found her to exude a joie de vivre that was captivating. Her optimism was peppered with realism that is refreshing. She was genuine, fun, sexy, and I could easily see her as BFF. After listening to her post show interviews, I am thrilled that she and her ex have found their way back to each other. I wish her the best. She was the reason I stayed tuned this season.

ITA Gilmoregirl!

Well said.

What I find weird and ironic is when in season 10 people were upset at Bevin getting hurt there was a lot of justified excuses about how "it is part of the show" "he is under contract" "the girls know this risk" and yada yada yada. YET when Brad decides he can't honestly do this, for what ever reason, he is seen as a loser or jerk or worse. I think if the "rules" hold for one man they should "hold" for another, no?

After seeing this show and reading blogs, I think that the producers have a LOT of input into this show. Who knows the producers could have been urging the girls to "give it your best shot, this is your last time to tell him how you really feel!"

Desperation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmoregirl;2689188;
    My final thoughts…..it’s an (un) “reality” dating show—end of story.

I liked Brad….a lot. I would have loved for him to find a woman with whom he felt he could spend his life. But the odds of this happening under the circumstances of the show aren’t very good.

Should he have settled? Of course not!
    Does he have commitment issues? How the heck do I know? I can say that just because he didn’t choose to pursue a relationship with either of the final two woman doesn’t make this so.

Should he have led any of these women on? A more difficult question to answer given this is the premise of the show for all but the woman ultimately selected. Since he selected no one…….

Ultimately, this season failed in that its edited story didn’t jive with its resolution. I blame Fleiss for this. To feel comfortable with a story’s ending, we the viewers have to see how it came to be. However, rather than tackling this head on, Fleiss side-stepped it and instead focused his season on the “bachelorettes gone wild.” We saw very little of Brad’s interactions with the F2 ladies. (Deanna didn’t even have a 1-1 date with him until the FD for heaven’s sake.)

The deplorable ATFRC was Fleiss’ attempt to backtrack from his failed editing and it bombed miserably. I feel terribly for both Brad and Deanna but it is what it is. Fleiss treated neither well. I have no doubt that both of these wonderful people will find their life partners but it isn’t going to be together. No matter how much Deanna fell in love, Brad simply didn’t. End of a story pathetically told.

Finally….What made this season memorable for me was Jenni….I absolutely adored her! Not only was she gorgeous on the outside, but I found her to exude a joie de vivre that was captivating. Her optimism was peppered with realism that is refreshing. She was genuine, fun, sexy, and I could easily see her as BFF. After listening to her post show interviews, I am thrilled that she and her ex have found their way back to each other. I wish her the best. She was the reason I stayed tuned this season.
    Jenni is the reason I stayed tuned to this show also. She is a rare gem, and her sincerity and beauty shined throughout. Her personality is one in a million. Brad had to grow on me. As far a Fleiss goes..I don't think he had much to go on as to the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;2688920;
    If the premise of the Bachelor is that he dates 25 women eliminating them until he is down to one (F1) which he gives the Final Rose to, then this show failed its premise.
    Regardless of the fact that Brad felt like he couldn't propose because he didn't love the F1 enough, he still should have given her the Final Rose ( and forgotten all the mumbo jumbo about getting engaged which others have done).

***If Brad was not going to follow the premise of the Bachelor and present at least the Final Rose to one of the women, he should have brought them both out at the same time and rejected them both together.We would have seen Brad thinking about Brad, and Fliess would have gotten the same drama of NO WINNER.
    That would have been dramatic. Two women showing up at the same time and walking toward Brad together. OUCH!! What I think is terrible is that Jenni was not told of the outcome. She was entitled being a major player in this show.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamitup;2689291;
    That would have been dramatic. Two women showing up at the same time and walking toward Brad together. OUCH!! What I think is terrible is that Jenni was not told of the outcome. She was entitled being a major player in this show.
    I think they did Jenni a huge favor by NOT telling her that DeAnna wasn't chosen either!!! She thought that Brad and DeAnna were together and in love, she probably didn't think for a second that she might get another chance and by the time she figured out that DeAnna was sent home as well, she had already moved on. It shocked her to see that DeAnna didn't get the fairy tale ending she was hoping for, but she was over the whole thing. DeAnna had to wonder for two and a half months why Brad sent both of them home and basically rejected her in the middle of a proposal. She said that it was a lot harder to deal with because neither was chosen. Jenni was better off not knowing it until she was over it and already happy with her not-ex-anymore boyfriend.
    Live well, laugh often, love with all your heart and as though you've never been hurt before

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by rileymeboy;2689029;
    Great ideas, one of the best posts I have read in a long time.
    Thanks rileymeboy! I've found myself to be very contemplative over this one and guess it flowed over last night. With the premise of the FORT being to "find out," it's still been a hard season to celebrate those victories.

Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Estella;2689346;
    I think they did Jenni a huge favor by NOT telling her that DeAnna wasn't chosen either!!! She thought that Brad and DeAnna were together and in love, she probably didn't think for a second that she might get another chance and by the time she figured out that DeAnna was sent home as well, she had already moved on. It shocked her to see that DeAnna didn't get the fairy tale ending she was hoping for, but she was over the whole thing. DeAnna had to wonder for two and a half months why Brad sent both of them home and basically rejected her in the middle of a proposal. She said that it was a lot harder to deal with because neither was chosen. Jenni was better off not knowing it until she was over it and already happy with her not-ex-anymore boyfriend.
    I totally agree with you Estella.Jenni was definitely better off thinking that he chose DeAnna.At the FRC when DeAnna asked about what would happen if he regretted his decision, he said I don't know. Then the season goes underway and she is listening to the interviews. What was she to think when she hears him talk about watching the one he cares about, wanting to hang out with her, him saying that if a connection is made it's worth nurturing, in the ABC uncut I remember him mentioning that he believes in the process and that you can have that instant connection and that he is loyal and waiting for the show to wrap up. Add to that the smiles whenever her name is mentioned. I would have had my hopes up too.
    "I didn't want to do anything fancy today! I just wanted to go shopping, come home, cook dinner and hang out with my man" Jillian

+ Reply to Thread