Closed Thread
Page 14 of 649 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: Bettina - Season 11

Re: Bettina - Season 11

I wonder if Bettina grew up in DC? Georgetown?
    What's the Great Conjunction? You tell me!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde;2638761;
    Interestingly, Daddy thought very highly of Bettina's first husband (was he a Ph.D?) because he made a comment about how noone can come even close to this guy. If so, why did daughter end up in a divorce?

Maybe Bettina got Daddy to approve her participation in the show by showing him the previous bachelor, "DR." Andy Baldwin. When Daddy found out that that was not the case here, he was just trying to sabotage Bettina's chances! Thoughts?

I think that is a very intriguing possibility SurferBlonde. That would explain the 'disappointed' remark. But are the families really totally in the dark until the hometown visit?

Sounds like Daddy hasn't come to terms with the divorce yet or he is questioning his daughter's judgment about everything. I mean the divorce is a done deal, shouldn't she have your support? Seemed disloyal to me.
    As much as her father came off as what my dad calls an 'educated idiot' he made two excellent points.

Can you adapt to this (his) lifestyle?
    Is it a good idea to move for a man?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mears25;2638928;
    As much as her father came off as what my dad calls an 'educated idiot' he made two excellent points.

Can you adapt to this (his) lifestyle?
    Is it a good idea to move for a man?
    I was annoyed by his arrogance (gives us academics a bad name), but my husband and I both agreed that we were glad that they weren't following the party line and playing up to the cameras.

As always, in this Post-modern world (as THAT for sounding academic ), the answer to those questions is: "it depends."

FORT Fanatic

I said before as some one very familiar with DC elite types both from school and from years of living in the D.C. area, I am not shocked at all at her family's reaction. My guess is Bettina is not shocked either. Her only surprise may come at how candid her family was with the cameras being present. I cannot see how she did not know that her family would react that way. From the beginning I have felt something is off with the things Bettina says. She seems as if she is playing a game. Incidentally I said before on this board that pedigree and class issues still exist...and not just on tv as evidenced by the Bells. It does seem evident that being in the upper class academically and financially does not mean that one actually has class because their judgment and behavior was extremely gauche, low class, and indicative of superficiality. Hard to believe that Bettina is not somewhat a product of her raising...

Perhaps her family had enjoyed a cocktail or two just so they would be relaxed in front of the cameras. I am very familiar with this type of behavior having lived among people like this my whole life. People whose first signs of inebriation include verbal sniping. It gets to be a real parlor game. No shouting or vulgarity but biting wit delivered through clenched jaws. If you land a good remark your victim might acknowledge it with a "touche".

I don't see where Bettina's family was any worse than Jenni's grandmother who was direct as well.

Don't drink the KoolAid

Commit random acts of kindness!

Quote Originally Posted by blasie;2639532;
    I don't see where Bettina's family was any worse than Jenni's grandmother who was direct as well.
    Jenni's grandmother was kinda mean, too But I guess she got the mean/funny edit.
    Like the fatal blossom of the great gimson weed, I entice with my fragrance but can provide no succor. Blanche (The Golden Girls)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde;2638761;
    Interestingly, Daddy thought very highly of Bettina's first husband (was he a Ph.D?) because he made a comment about how noone can come even close to this guy. If so, why did daughter end up in a divorce?
    I think father and daughter tend to disagree! What I think is more interesting is why Bettina ended up briefly married to the other guy in the first place. I found what she said about the marriage interesting -- something about -- Well, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life just being okay.

That's an awfully weird statement, to me. Seems to imply that nothing went wrong, exactly, and she didn't expect anything to go wrong -- they weren't highly incompatible; he wasn't a bad guy, etc. -- but she had lukewarm feelings about him. ... This seems like a pretty unusual reason for a quick divorce, to me. Suggests that she never had strong feelings for him in the first place (since if she had, how could they ebb to just "okay" so quickly) but she married him because somehow he seemed "appropriate," or something? I wonder how much her family influenced her to get into the first marriage. And yet she still says that she and her father are a lot alike and she's very interested in his opinion. ...

Lots of strange things here. I really don't get what's going on with her at all.

Don't really get what Brad's seeing in her, either -- she comes across as so low key that I can't get a bead on her at all, from what they've shown. That makes me wonder whether they're leaving an unusual amount of Bettina on the cutting-room floor.

FORT Fanatic

I totally see what Brad sees in her. She is beautiful in his eyes (personally I'm underwhelmed), seems sophisticated, mysterious, sweet, and more than anything she is different than what he is used to. He finds her intriguing. It is some of the same things he sees in DeAnna. He said that he just wants to see her relax and open up. I think he's just really attracted to her and is having a hard time pushing that aside. It seems clear to me that Bettina is masterful at handling men. She knows that on a show where women throw themself at a man that the surefire way to catch his eye is to be the exact opposite. She is working it to the extreme.

That being said I don't see him choosing her in the end. Yes, her family is definitely not his kind of people and that will weigh heavy on him, it seems unlikely that she would be an easy fit in his family either. They seem to have a lot of differences and if he is genuine in looking for a wife, my guess is those differences will outweigh his attraction. I think in the end he will pick DeAnna because of his attraction to her on multiple levels- physical and emotional, his family's approval of her and hers of him, common upbringing and future goals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by appiah01;2640691;
    I totally see what Brad sees in her. She is beautiful in his eyes (personally I'm underwhelmed), seems sophisticated, mysterious, sweet, and more than anything she is different than what he is used to. He finds her intriguing. It is some of the same things he sees in DeAnna. He said that he just wants to see her relax and open up. I think he's just really attracted to her and is having a hard time pushing that aside. It seems clear to me that Bettina is masterful at handling men. She knows that on a show where women throw themself at a man that the surefire way to catch his eye is to be the exact opposite. She is working it to the extreme.

That being said I don't see him choosing her in the end. Yes, her family is definitely not his kind of people and that will weigh heavy on him, it seems unlikely that she would be an easy fit in his family either. They seem to have a lot of differences and if he is genuine in looking for a wife, my guess is those differences will outweigh his attraction. I think in the end he will pick DeAnna because of his attraction to her on multiple levels- physical and emotional, his family's approval of her and hers of him, common upbringing and future goals, etc.
    I see a lot of resemblances between Bettina and Helene (Aaron's season). They're both low-key and sophisticated, not to mention really beautiful and lady-like Bettina's really tall too, almost as tall as Brad! Maybe Brad just likes how Bettina is around him, she always seems to "glow" and has big smiles when with him. I really hope Brad'll choose her, otherwise I absolutely won't be watching this stinking show again lol just kidding!!!!

Deanna is ok and decent, but kinda a safe choice. I don't see him being smitten with her or anything. And it bothers me that she aways said the right things to Brad, so we just don't know if she's being genuine or not... He sees D as strong and has admiration for her, so to me they have a "good friends" vibe and not "husband and wife"
    Like the fatal blossom of the great gimson weed, I entice with my fragrance but can provide no succor. Blanche (The Golden Girls)

♥Ali♥Gia♥Rozlyn♥ OutsideLookinIn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ggplant;2640783;
    I see a lot of resemblances between Bettina and Helene (Aaron's season). They're both low-key and sophisticated, not to mention really beautiful and lady-like Bettina's really tall too, almost as tall as Brad! Maybe Brad just likes how Bettina is around him, she always seems to "glow" and has big smiles when with him. I really hope Brad'll choose her, otherwise I absolutely won't be watching this stinking show again lol just kidding!!!!

Deanna is ok and decent, but kinda a safe choice. I don't see him being smitten with her or anything. And it bothers me that she aways said the right things to Brad, so we just don't know if she's being genuine or not... He sees D as strong and has admiration for her, so to me they have a "good friends" vibe and not "husband and wife"
    I see that too! I remember Helene went to the show very skeptical as well, low-key, laid-back, very simple yet classy, can look good in a baseball hat as well as dressing up, playing hard-to-get, sweet and among other things.

Closed Thread